SAT scores are out.

i didn't get living dick for scholarship money until this coming semester ;/

I dunno, since my family is - legally - under the "poverty" line, and my scores are decent, I should have a decent shot at scholarships.

Living in a large, poor-ish, family isn't always that good...

At least, I can play video games and stuff, though... :P

How ironic, I'm poor, yet I can afford all that stuff... Video games consoles... and smartphones... and even Apple products. :P

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lehigh's a great school. I worked in a lab with a guy studying matsci there. He loves it! :newyears:

Out of the three I wanted to go to Lehigh badly. Unfortunately financial aid was awful.

plus I'm not much of a drinker

Funny though, with my SAT scores I would have placed out of a full year of english, since I just barely pulled off a 750 in writing :p

Edited by Insignificant Organism

*GASP* APPLE PRODUCTS?!

but, bro. student loans. look it up. Literally ANYONE can get one.

For some odd reason, payment for undergraduate studies has been shifted onto parents as of late. My family could not legally take out a loan large enough for many of my schools, and for some reason I am not responsible for paying until grad school.

Weird huh?

*GASP* APPLE PRODUCTS?!

but, bro. student loans. look it up. Literally ANYONE can get one.

Not iPods or iPads.

Macbook Pros or Macs or something.

Seriously, I don't want to pay $3000 dollars for a good computer. (But then again, $3000 nets you a top-notch Apple product.)

But yeah, I'm not in college, and I don't have much money, so... I can't really afford to be extravagant.

SAT scores don't mean jack

It would be more correct to say that they don't matter after a certain point. It's no coincidence that the good unis all have 2200 averages.

Also, just because a minority got in with recommendations doesn't mean SAT scores don't matter. It just means they don't matter for a minority.

There's a lot more interesting and better candidates to pick over a person who does little but study to get a perfect score on the SAT. The person who did something important nationally would be and should be picked over the person with a 2400 SAT even if they have a 2200 SAT.

Edited by Chiki

Congratulations folks, it sounds like you did pretty well.

Acceptances to Emory University (going there this fall), Boston College, NYU, Johns Hopkins, Tufts, Carnegie Mellon, Georgetown, The College of William and Mary, George Washington University and (eternal) waitlists at Columbia and Yale. Also rejections from UPenn, Harvard, and Cornell.

SAT scores really play a much smaller role in the application process than one may think.

Man, what made you decide to apply to so many schools? I did like 6 and thought that was a lot.

The common app and that website that sends out SAT scores for you are godly inventions imho!

There's a lot more interesting and better candidates to pick over a person who does little but study to get a perfect score on the SAT. The person who did something important nationally would be and should be picked over the person with a 2400 SAT even if they have a 2200 SAT.

Chiki supports getting Dzhokhar Tsanaerv into a great school!

...Too soon...

EDIT-Actually he was already in school.

Edited by SeverIan

SAT scores are pretty amazing if you go to a state school. Go to a decent one of those with a really high SAT score and you're probably going for free or almost free.

Then you do really well in said state school, and apply to the really top-tier schools for grad school, where you'll probably be getting a stipend of some sort to go there.

Congratulations folks, it sounds like you did pretty well.

Man, what made you decide to apply to so many schools?

Well I just wanted to keep my options open! And it really wasn't that much work with the Commmon App and all.

Oh, hey, test scores. I did those a year ago.

I got a 2240 on the SAT and a 34 on the ACT. I didn't study for either and I didn't even sleep the night before the former. I also slept through approximately all of my math courses and spent most of my English courses looking at attractive people (and my ex), so yeah.

$3000 using actual money would buy you an outrageously top-of-the-line computer. You can build a great gaming computer at ~$700 dollars.

yes but that only gets you a desktop (i happen to have a custom computer its great)

on topic, i took them in 8 th grade and did about average maybe a little below, (with no study) i didnt take them this year though, so i plan to retake them next year

Edited by Cyron

hahahaha....SATs. I was worrying about those just last year, thank goodness that's over with. I actually took it for the first time in 5th grade for acceptance into this youth program thing and got 1500 (500s across the board). The second time I took it was junior year of high school and got 2170, 740 crit reading, 720 math, 710 writing. ACT score was either 32 or 33, I can't quite remember. I think it was 32, only took it once. SAT subject test scores were 740 on both LIterature and Math II.

Wow, great job people! Good luck to everyone preparing for college now!

I got a 640 on both critical reading and math. I qualified for a scholarship that'd cover 100 percent of my tuition on the first try (I needed a 1270, just made it!), so I was happy for that. I don't remember my writing score. I think it was 570 or 590? I know for sure that one didn't break 600.

I can't remember what the score was when I took it way back when but I don't remember the score.

On a related note I want to take the Mensa test. If I score really well I might be able to get those genius scholarships. And if I score really badly, then I can just dismiss the tests as being an improper measure of intelligence! There's no bad outcome!

I can't remember what the score was when I took it way back when but I don't remember the score.

On a related note I want to take the Mensa test. If I score really well I might be able to get those genius scholarships. And if I score really badly, then I can just dismiss the tests as being an improper measure of intelligence! There's no bad outcome!

The Mensa test? For scholarships? Wow. People always told me Mensa was pointless.

EDIT-When I was a little kid I wanted to be in Mensa because I got told it was for smart people.

Edited by SeverIan

• 2 years later...

update three years later: recent events have led me to conclude that my SAT score meant nothing and I am currently getting fucked at my second-tier university

ganbatte high schoolers the real tatakai is about to hajimeru

Edited by Austin

The Mensa test? For scholarships? Wow. People always told me Mensa was pointless.

EDIT-When I was a little kid I wanted to be in Mensa because I got told it was for smart people.

I never really tried to get into Mensa, because it always seemed like a practice in ego stroking, since Mensa's thing is just "being smart". I'd rather be in a group that's about an interest I hold, rather than my intellectual standard deviation tier.

I'm told if you're a certified genius --that is, having an IQ at or above 130-- you qualify for some kind of scholarship.

Either way it would be cool to indulge my delusions of grandeur

If that's true, it was never brought to my attention when I was in school.

update three years later: recent events have led me to conclude that my SAT score meant nothing and I am currently getting fucked at my second-tier university

ganbatte high schoolers the real tatakai is about to hajimeru

I guess we can work our necromantic magic outside the hallowed grounds of the Forest.

I actually never took the SAT. Most colleges in the Midwest accept the ACT, so I just took it.

I'm told if you're a certified genius --that is, having an IQ at or above 130-- you qualify for some kind of scholarship.

Either way it would be cool to indulge my delusions of grandeur

what the heck really?? this is late but is it a significant amount?? and how is 130 genius lol thats kinda low 4 a genius isnt it..

also the new SAT is out of 1600 but ive only taken the practice one cuz our school forced us to and got 1490 or w/e. im probs not gonna take an actual SAT. im better at the ACT anyway. im taking that in a few weeks

my 1800 got me into an okay school. no one asks about your sat score in college anyways. i know its one of those cliched sayings that goes around in high school, but its true.