NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Tomlin decided to change up the Steelers' depth chart, particularly on the defense. Um, dude, the offense is what needs the most help right now. :/

And WHY DID YOU REMOVE WHEATON?! This guy is good and has the potential to be Wallace 2.0! This has to be the stupidest decision you've ever made.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I misread, the changes ARE on the offense. But still, Wheaton shouldn't have been taken off!

Edited by Anacybele

Well, that's okay, because I was wondering when your DBs were going to get called for a penalty the entire game. Then a Packers WR got called for a hold.

That's pretty funny. I thought that the calls were a little rough for the Packers, actually. The Pack did get penalized more I believe

I know I know and I'm not saying some of the penalties weren't undeserved, it's just that some of them were undeserved. Let's face it guys; because of the team's reputation, they've got targets on their backs. Some of the defensive penalties, whether deserved or not, ended up giving the Packers some points that shouldn't have happened. As a fan it's just frustrating to see the team play well against a big rival only to get penalized and kill the momentum.

WTF Raven, You spelled Barry Sanders name wrong. I was so confused because "Saunders" sounded really familiar.

My b i was watching a video that messed me up... kept saying it like Saunders and Sunders

Let's do a weekly prediction thing and make it consistent... I'll start.

New York Giants @ Chicago Bears - The Bears have a stifling defense now and their offense is effective. The Giants are self-destructing. Chicago's losses came against strong teams and their wins have also been against strong teams, so I have all the confidence in the world that they will stomp the Giants flat.

Green Bay Packers @ Baltimore Ravens - Green Bay defense is no slouch but neither is Baltimore's front 7. Expect stifling the run game but getting burnt through the air provided our pass rush doesn't get to Rodgers in time, which is very possible because Suggs has like 7 sacks on the season or something ridiculous. This is a homer pick btw, but our receivers are back for this game (Jacoby, Torrey, Marlon, Thompson, Doss, and I *think* Stokley, all of them are building up very nicely with Flacco with Dickson looking a bit more reliable than before). If Baltimore doesn't get a run going, which is still possible, and if Monroe isn't subbed in for McKinnie, this could be rough but I'm looking for Baltimore to win this because it's our only home game in October.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Buffalo Bills - Andy Dalton is average and they can't seem to put it together against weak teams despite them being a stacked team. The defense can get beat by Buffalo in the air just as Buffalo could beat Baltimore at home, and after a glorious win over the Patriots they still have the chance of blowing this away game as easy as it should be on paper.

Detroit Lions @ Cleveland Browns - Sure Browns have a great defense but the offense will not be able to keep pace with the Lions explosive defense, especially since Weeden is in and Hoyer's out for the season. Their only hope is to torch a mediocre secondary which can still be very iffy because Detroit's secondary isn't completely incompetent either.

St. Louis Rams @ Houston Texans - Say what you will about Houston but St. Louis is far worse right now. Schaub is having issues related to Kubiak's predictable play calling but St. Louis is having worse issues in terms of playcalling, as surprising as that sounds. Expect a terrible game but also expect Houston to go 3-3 on a very ugly win. I don't know if Yates is playing and if Schaub is benched but I think the worst thing they can do now is bench Schaub. Hopefully this can give Schaub some more confidence in the pocket.

Oakland Raiders @ Kansas City Chiefs - Sorry Oakland, it's still not your time yet, even if they have a spark of life they continue to get better and Kansas City is way too good right now on defense and very efficient on offense. Should be a good game but Kansas City can put it away.

Carolina Panthers @ Minnesota Vikings - both teams are underachieving but Carolina's front 7 can hold off Peterson and force them to go to the team's weak spot - the passing game. Granted, Carolina can't close out games very well due to conservative second-half playcalling, but Minnesota also lacks that right now and Minnesota's not as talented on defense.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ New York Jets - preach that bye week bullshit all you want but Pittsburgh is that bad right now. New York's defense is too good and their offense is serviceable enough to take the lead against a battered Steelers defense. Geno Smith is looking really good right now, and even though Ben is in the Rivers-tier of elite quarterbacks his surrounding talent is awful.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Vick is out and Foles, while good, will not be able to make this offense as lightning quick as you'd want it. Tampa Bay's secondary is too good but Tampa Bay can't close out games. This game will be close so I'm giving it to the home team, but Schiano's an asshole and his team is undisciplined enough to almost throw it away. It's a wash but I'm giving it to the home team.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Denver Broncos - Henne Given Sunday

Tennessee Titans @ Seattle Seahawks - Fitzpatrick is a decent game manager but he will not be able to survive against Seattle's secondary. Meanwhile, Seattle has a terrible pass blocking offensive line but Wilson can extend plays with his feet which is not something to be trifled with. They're also playing at Seattle and Seattle's pissed after losing to the Colts at home. If Locker were in this game would be a lot closer than I'm expecting.

New Orleans Saints @ New England Patriots - The Patriots are struggling quite a lot as the loss to the Bengals will show you. Even if they have Gronk and Amendola back, on top of Edelman and I think Vereen is back too, the Saints defense is too good and the Saints offense (Jimmy Graham is their response to Gronk, Colston and the other receivers to Amendola and Edelman) is too good because someone will always be open no matter what. I'll give this to the Saints, they're looking like a Super Bowl frontrunner right now.

Arizona Cardinals @ San Francisco 49ers - whether or not Palmer gets it together, I can easily see that defense stifling all their lack of receivers and I can see them trivializing Gore. Kaepernick has no one to throw to and Arizona has a solid pass rusher as well as a very good cornerback to play man on Boldin. I can see 49ers getting upset by Arizona... after all, Arizona looked amazing last year before Kolb went down.

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys - Dallas is way too good right now on offense for the Redskins to even have a chance at victory. Redskins are suffering on both sides of the ball, namely Defense, so it leaves Romo/Witten/Murray/Bryant to burn them all day long. It'll be a painful game for Washington, intense rivalry or not.

Indianapolis Colts @ San Diego Chargers - A wash goes to the home team, but San Diego's offense can easily match Indy's and the defense is a problem. I can see Indianapolis winning but this is a very even matchup despite San Diego being 2-3 and Indy being 4-1, and it's played @San Diego. Indianpolis will also get tired due to the time difference and playing on the road.

@ Raven - I disagree on some games.

I think the Packers are gonna win. They are the better team.

Steelers wont go 0-5. Geno will make mistakes and Ben has Heath Miller back.

Eagles are better than the Bucs. Vick or no Vick.

49ers will destroy Arizona. They are better all around.

Despite Manuel being out, im still optimistic for the Bills season. Thad Lewis isn't a huge step back at QB. We still have a very good running game. And the Defense will be getting its 2 best DBs back.

@ Raven - I disagree on some games.

I think the Packers are gonna win. They are the better team.

Steelers wont go 0-5. Geno will make mistakes and Ben has Heath Miller back.

Eagles are better than the Bucs. Vick or no Vick.

49ers will destroy Arizona. They are better all around.

Despite Manuel being out, im still optimistic for the Bills season. Thad Lewis isn't a huge step back at QB. We still have a very good running game. And the Defense will be getting its 2 best DBs back.

Understand that "Better overall" does not mean matchup, you know that individual skill position matchups are far more important than overall matchups? If that were true you'd see a Broncos-49ers Super Bowl in 2012, but you didn't because Ravens are very good at getting pressure on the QB which is why you see Tom Brady struggling against the Ravens despite always being on overall better teams.

Having that said, you have no clue how good Ravens are at home if you're saying that, and our receiver corps is a good amount more revitalized from last week + a better offensive line than last week. The run game is back because it's no longer disadvantageous to do it, and well, defense. I'm not surprised no matter how it goes and I'm predicting a shoot-out in the end. But both teams have some bad luck with Tight Ends, good RB depth and good receiver depth as well as serviceable secondaries and Cannon armed quarterbacks that are decently mobile (Rodgers has an edge over Flacco by a decent margin but Flacco is still very good).

Doesn't matter if Ben has Heath Miller back, because Jets defense is for real and they've done a fairly decent job thus far. Steelers offensive line is pretty bad and whether or not Geno does make mistakes they still have a running game and the Steelers defense can't be relied on to keep them in the game anymore injured or not, especially when the offense is still pretty bad.

Eagles @ Buccs is a wash honestly and I'm not surprised if the Eagles can overtake them. Yet the Eagles have zero defense whereas Tampa Bay has a defense and a good running back as well as receiver talent. And it's @Tampa. I wouldn't be surprised either way it happens.

49ers are better all around than Indy yet you don't realize just how good Arizona's defense is. The only team they haven't been able to stifle completely were the Saints and that's because that offense is absolutely incredible. Niners offense consists of rushing Frank Gore down the gut (which is effective mind you) and hoping Kaepernick can get a receiver open (which does not happen at all, especially against Arizona's secondary who has Patrick Peterson). If Palmer can learn to play better - which will be a struggle again considering the state of the offensive line vs the defensive line - then they will win. Both offenses are poor right now, both defenses are incredible. I'm also very partial towards Arizona.

As for Thad Lewis, I don't think he's started yet and Tuel is poor. It's really hard to get a QB going when he starts around the middle of the season, but I'm confident that Cincinnati will choke it away. Is your secondary recovered yet? Because Dalton has trouble getting the ball to AJ Green when they're against a competent secondary.

The Steelers still have a good passing game (and if Bell and Redman stay healthy, a pretty decent running game too), Ben just needs some more actual protection and offense Jones needs to hold on to the ball. >_>

They've been scoring just about as many points (in their past couple of games) as they used to. Antonio Brown is dangerous as hell. Heath Miller is a bulldozer. Le'veon Bell is awesome. And so on. One big problem though, is that Pouncey won't be back until next year. -_-

Edited by Anacybele

Thing is that their competition's defense hasn't been exactly great either. They've played awful against Chicago, they put up points against Minnesota who have a hard time closing out games these days (Jets can close out a game; they're 3-2 for a reason, and their coach is Rex Ryan who is a master on defense), their offense was bordering on anemic against the Titans and the Bengals who have amazing defenses. Expect it to be more like a Bengals or Titans game (more like the Bengals) than the Vikings game.

And the main problem with the offense is the o-line, as I said. When Ben put that ball in the hands of Brown or Miller or Bell, points were put on the board. Brown was barely used for awhile, and the offense didn't even have Bell or Miller at all for much of those games. And don't forget that the depth chart has changed, so things could be different. Cotchery and Sanders are good receivers as well (just not Brown tier). David Johnson is also a pretty good tightend, he needs to be used more (I've never seen him lose the ball, he always got decent yards, and he's gotten TDs). Ben just needs enough time to give one of these guys the ball and that's up to his linemen.

You're right about the defense though, they need to start forcing some turnovers and stuff. I miss seeing Polamalu interceptions, Woodley sacks, etc.

Edited by Anacybele

@ Raven

Thad Lewis started 1 game in his career. Last year either week 16 or 17 for the Browns. Against the Steelers. He was like 21 for 33, 200 YDS, 1TD 1INT. Which is basically what Manuel has been doing all year.

And yeah the entire secondary is expected to play. The only questionable player is Byrd and his foot thing. Although he was available last game, but the coach decided to sit him.

With the way our front 7 has been playing and a healthy secondary that wont allow multiple long pass plays, I expect the Bengals to have a hard time scoring. Throw in the fact that the Bills have scored 20 or more points in every game this year, and the Bengals are winless on the road. Im liking the Bills chances to win.

Unfortunately the rest of the fanbase has basically given up already. The game isnt sold out yet so I probably wont be able to watch the game because the Bills organization still believes in black-outs.

Ooh, Will Allen is back in black 'n gold! I knew he sounded familiar, he was a Steeler before, but left. Now he's back!

Still don't like the idea of Wheaton not playing in the game against the Jets though.

Yeah the only reason Chicago won with that style of play is because Eli played like a deer in headlights the whole time because the offensive line got wrecked day in and day out in the last 5 games. I'd hate to be the guy that loses to them.

Fun fact is the current teams without a win - Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and NYG don't meet during the regular season. You know what that means...

Fun fact is the current teams without a win - Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and NYG don't meet during the regular season. You know what that means...

I'm unsure if that occurrence would be horrible or hilarious

Edited by JSND Has A Dragon Boner

The Madden Curse strikes again.

Adrian Peterson's 2 year old son died today. Apparent the man that Peterson's baby-mama was dating was abusive.
It's so sad. I can't even imagine what that must be like.

Adrian Peterson's 2 year old son died today. Apparent the man that Peterson's baby-mama was dating was abusive.

That's... That's so horrible. I hope the mother feels like shit if she knew about the abuse. She shouldn't have gotten involved with such a cruel man.

Sadly, she will probably miss the child support check more.

The mother is a terrible person for not being more protective of the kid. And the man is the worst kind of scum in this world. Anyone who is capable of abusing a child deserves to die a slow painful death.
Im mostly concerned for AP. He was hundreds of miles away when it happened.

It's a really sad and tragic story. Prayers out to AP.