NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

Tampa Bay doesnt have Matt Forte. Thats Chicago. Youre thinking of Doug Martin. They also have a rookie QB who hasnt been getting 1st team reps in practice until a couple weeks ago.

The Jets beat Tampa and they barely escaped with a win against Atlanta. I just dont see Tampa winning the game. We will see on Sunday.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glennon fits into schianos system way better than freeman did though, which is why Glennon played well last week against Philly. Atlantas defense and offense are both way worse than Phillys.

Yes I was thinking of Doug Martin my bad, too busy beating the single game rushing record with forte on madden

Ryan Fitzpatrick was apparently a perfect fit for Chan Gailey's offense, and that didnt mean shit.

An inexperienced QB is an inexperienced QB, and a bad offensive scheme is a bad offensive scheme. It doesn't matter how well they are fit for each other.

You saw how well he did against Philly right or were you too busy listening to the stuff about Foles?

Furthermore, Tampa had incompetence at QB due to how they were using freeman (as a WCO QB which is not how you use him) and they held NO to 16. They would've won against Tampa and NO if not for some fluky bullshit, did you watch those games? They've gotten better since then despite schianos faggotry

EDIT: so close to a 5 point game, Palmers oline though... But I have tons of respect now for Dangeruss, his line is awful too but somehow that whole team makes plays when they're given virtually nothing

Edited by Lord Raven

Philadelphia is #28 is points per game and #32 in yards per game defensively, I don't think doing well against their defense is much of an accomplishment.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Not only did I cover why those two metrics are flawed as measurements (I try to include a lot of context from how the game actually goes) but I also covered how Atlanta's defense is about as poor.

As for an actual counterpoint, yes that's true because Eagles offense is incredibly efficient and they get off the field very quickly. They average close to 17 seconds between snaps on every single play (meaning that sometimes they take even less time than that to snap the ball) whereas Atlanta's offense is a lot less quick and the defense isn't on the field as often. If the defense is on the field often then you should expect more yards and more points scored against you. Point differential is a much better metric, and those statistics are also heavily flawed because they had to go against Denver whose offense is soaring and was designed purely to pick apart that kind of defense. Glennon should have no issue putting up 20 or more points against Falcons defense because their defense sucks and their offense recently lost its strongest weapon (so the defense is going to be on the field due to 3 and outs and that gives a quarterback quite a lot of potential to torch them -- see the season opener in Denver to see exactly what I'm talking about. And they will get 3 and outs consistently unless they get some miracles from Gonzalez, but even he is just a mortal).

Edited by Lord Raven

Using yards per game is flawed but points per game is not a flawed metric because when the game is over the ONLY stat that matters is the score.

The players and coaches on Atlanta are used to winning and they know their jobs are on the line if they continue to lose. With Matt Ryan at QB and coming off a bye, I dont see Atlanta losing to the Bucs with a rookie QB making his 2nd start. Arookie QB who btw does not have big projections as an NFL QB and hasnt practiced as the starting QB untilk 2 weeks ago.
This is my opinion and we will see how the games unfold on Gameday.

I include yards allowed because it shows that the points likely weren't all from defensive/special teams touchdowns or something.

In addition to playing Denver, Philadelphia has also played some of worst offenses in the NFL- Tampa Bay is #31 in points, NYG are #30. The effect of the Denver game on a team's defensive ratings gets weaker every week. For example, Oakland played Denver and is still the #13 scoring defense in the league.

Philadelphia's defense really is bad. Scoring more points and having a hurry up offense doesn't actually excuse your defense to allow more points.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Using yards per game is flawed but points per game is not a flawed metric because when the game is over the ONLY stat that matters is the score.

PPG is flawed depending on context. Point differential is much better. KC was leading the league in points scored and ppg one year and had like a 4-12 record. Points allowed is also different because incompetent special teams play, good red zone defenses (forcing many field goals instead of TDs) and also the fact that defenses can play more conservative as well as allow garbage time points inflates the state greatly, and it happens more times than you think. There's also shoot outs like Denver-Dallas (Denver's defense is really good btw) which inflate the numbers. And sometimes even PD is flawed because that's an issue of scheme - KC will, for instance, not aim for a PD less than one, and that's their goal in a game. It's not about stats but stats in context.

The players and coaches on Atlanta are used to winning and they know their jobs are on the line if they continue to lose. With Matt Ryan at QB and coming off a bye, I dont see Atlanta losing to the Bucs with a rookie QB making his 2nd start. Arookie QB who btw does not have big projections as an NFL QB and hasnt practiced as the starting QB untilk 2 weeks ago.

These are buzzwords and these are also ignoring the fact that Atlanta's defense is still worse than Philly's and by virtue of a poor offense and it's discounting just how bad Atlanta's offense will be without Julio Jones. It's also discounting the fact that Tampa has a very good defense; it doesn't matter if the QB plays badly (though once again all they need is short passes and clock burning) because he won't against Atlanta's defense. Atlanta's in a much smaller market than Philly so you don't hear about their defensive woes nearly as much as Philly's, but the difference is that Atlanta's not outscoring or outpacing their opponents as well as Philly (remember that Pats came down to Atlanta with a poorer receiving corps than right now and only allowed points in garbage time). They are used to winning on a team that has a bend-but-don't-break defense and tons of offensive weapons for their franchise QB to throw to; they have neither right now.

This is my opinion and we will see how the games unfold on Gameday.

Indeed.

I include yards allowed because it shows that the points likely weren't all from defensive/special teams touchdowns or something.

In addition to playing Denver, Philadelphia has also played some of worst offenses in the NFL- Tampa Bay is #31 in points, NYG are #30. The effect of the Denver game on a team's defensive ratings gets weaker every week. For example, Oakland played Denver and is still the #13 scoring defense in the league.

Oakland allowed 37 points against Denver because they had an offense that wasn't anemic. Raven's offense was so bad that game due to losing players. Jacksonville were playing 250% against Denver due to being the laughing stock of the league, it wasn't Denver dropping. Eagles had issues through their special teams and defense.

Sure, Tampa's offense isn't that great. Eagles defense is awful. Atlanta's offense is poor now but Tampa's defense is pretty remarkable despite being blown out by the Pats and the Cardinals. (Also bear in mind that these games were during that whole bullshit with Schiano and Freeman). I just have much less faith in Atlanta than I do with Tampa, and I find Atlanta incredibly disappointing this year.

Philadelphia's defense really is bad. Scoring more points and having a hurry up offense doesn't actually excuse your defense to allow more points.

I never said it did. I just explained why the defense was so bad. These problems will be even worse when Tampa goes to Atlanta due to Atlanta not being able to put up the points to compensate, whereas at least Philadelphia can put up points much better.

So, I watched the preview for Steelers vs Ravens. Basically, it said that this game might be decided by who can protect their QB the best. Both Ben and Flacco have been sacked the same number of times, so both of them have had crappy o-lines. But the Ravens defense has managed to get to the QB more often than that of the Steelers. The Steelers D has been making a comeback though after not allowing a single TD vs the Jets and getting to Smith a couple times (yes, I realize the Jets offense was worse than usual in that game, but why do you think that is? lol).

I think I was right when I said this will be a close game decided by defense. No matter who wins, this'll be good! :D

But for good luck, I better wear my Polamalu jersey and my holiday Steeler hat. My Steeler socks too. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I don't see why we're disputing anything

Obviously Denver's gonna end up pounding dat ass all year and win the Super Bowl, especially with Von Miller coming back and likely going into F-U mode for the rest of the year.

And Denver is much more stacked than any team Peyton's had in Indy, so hopefully that's pretty much what happens. (on offense, defense, and special teams; I firmly believe that if Peyton were a Patriot he would probably have many many super bowls).

Edited by Lord Raven

And Denver is much more stacked than any team Peyton's had in Indy, so hopefully that's pretty much what happens. (on offense, defense, and special teams; I firmly believe that if Peyton were a Patriot he would probably have many many super bowls).

He had Wayne, Harrison, DA EDGE and a not-decrepit Dallas Clark in Indy for a while. His offense was fine.

The defense was always semi-meh though, even with Freeney and Sanders.

I dunno why I said offense, but defense and STs were definitely pretty bad overall. Maybe Freeney and Mathis but that's all I can think of

EDIT: Yeah Bob Sanders, but he had issues staying healthy, only played two seasons with >6 games played (at 14 and 15) and another one with >4 started (played 6 games rookie year and played 6 games another season)

Edited by Lord Raven

Haha, NFL previews will say anything that sounds good. The game will be decided by who scores the most points.

Good Luck everyone.

Well yeah, if you want to get technical, duh. xP

Game starts in less than a couple hours, can't wait. :D I got my jersey on and my hat. Just gotta get my socks from the dryer (they were too big, so I washed them in hopes that they'd shrink. lol).

...Say, that gives me a new idea for a joke! After washing their clothes, where do the Steelers put them?

In the Dwyer. lol

(from the RB. XD)

Someone's been reading reddit...

My weekly predictions you say?

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals - Say what you will about the Cardinals but Carson Palmer has this uncanny ability to keep his team in the game after throwing a jillion picks. Arizona also has this pass rush that can dismantle Russel Wilson's horrid offensive line with a solid secondary to go against average receiving corps to boot. Arizona's defense is the real deal and even though they got Gore'd, Lynch can still be stopped pretty easily. Add to how this is a Thursday night game @Arizona and the Seahawks probably can't pull it off. I gotta be right about the Cards sometime...

>implying seattle won't destroy arizona

i also disagree with the rams vs panthers sentiment, but that's only because of my bias.

Aw crap, Jets vs Patriots went into OT. What's going to happen with Steelers vs Ravens now? They're supposed to start at 4:30...ish. o_O

And damn it, the Dolphins lost. But the Panthers are definitely going to win. So I'm okay I guess. For now. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Aw crap, Jets vs Patriots went into OT. What's going to happen with Steelers vs Ravens now? They're supposed to start at 4:30...ish. o_O

...it'll start?

The Bears Offense seems to be ripping Washington to shreds without Cutler.

...it'll start?

You apparently don't watch your games on TV. Steelers vs Ravens is supposed to be on the same channel as Jets vs Patriots, and Jets vs Patriots is in OT. This means it's going to overlap with Steelers vs Ravens, most likely, because Steelers vs Ravens starts, like, right now.

But I just figured out that it's going to keep showing Jets vs Patriots until it ends and then switch over to the Steeler game. So SOMEBODY PLEASE END THIS GAME. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Ha! I knew it! Woodley's giving Flacco a hard time! YEAH WOODLEY! ^^

(following the game on NFL.com for right now)

Both sides went three and out. Game of defense already, just as I figured. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Bears had to deal with that all day.

I feel you.

Thing is. That's a no-call situation. The only time you should throw a flag on a game deciding play is if it blatantly impacts the game. Or a late hit.awful call cost us a game.