NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible what you saw was a large group of steelers fans bunched up in one place like in this image:

1356128201084.cached.jpg

The camera will always show these whenever the opportunity presents itself to show just how Steelers fans are everywhere. The fact that they made up around a sixths of the stadium is a testament to how broad the fanbase is (and it's because they were all over the TV stations everywhere due to playoffs and all that). But Steelers fans will never outnumber the number of fans in the stadium.

I won't go as far as calling you a liar, but it's entirely possible you saw a ton and immediately made that conclusion. Fair enough, but based on what Cynthia linked and the fact that it's easier to see big black/yellow blimps over a bunch of white jerseys, it's selective memory at best.

Hmm. Yeah, you might be right there, Lord Raven, now that you explain it a little more. And thanks for being more civil about it instead of accusing me of lying or being a fool.

I do know for sure that the Steelers have the largest number of fans overall though. Some would surely love to show more loyalty and attend the games, but tickets get so expensive, I doubt many of them could afford them every season or even at all. Or, as is the case with me, they might have sensitive hearing or hate crowds. But they were named "America's Team" after the title was stripped from the Cowboys for several reasons. The huge fanbase, their unsurpassed number of Lombardi Trophies, the loyalty of their fanbase, etc. A Steeler was also responsible for what is probably the best known NFL play in history, the Immaculate Reception (that Steeler being Franco Harris. :D). There's also the famed Steel Curtain, four superb members of the 70s defense. I think many of the most famous NFL players were Steelers. Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Jack Lambert, Joe Greene, Lynn Swann, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, and probably more I don't know about.

I'm partly making a hypothesis though.

Edited by Anacybele

Claiming to know things "for sure" without any evidence than your own bias, experience, and conjecture makes you a fool. Do you actually know that the Steelers have the largest fan base?

For example, http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/nfl-fan-base-maps-show-denver-broncos-are-america-s-team#slide=1 states that the Broncos have both the largest and farthest reaching fanbase,

Jersey sales (another indicator of popularity) indicate that the 49ers are the most popular team. http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/merchandise-sales-reveal-49ers-most-popular-nfl-team

Learning basic research skills to back up your claims is a valuable life skill.

Claiming to know things "for sure" without any evidence than your own bias, experience, and conjecture makes you a fool.

I am not a fool. If you flame me again, I will report you.

And if I didn't do my research, how could I say that the Steelers were named America's Team? I looked it up awhile back.

Edited by Anacybele

I am not a fool. If you flame me again, I will report you.

And if I didn't do my research, how could I say that the Steelers were named America's Team? I looked it up awhile back.

Stop claiming things you know things that you don't then. You don't know that the Steelers have the largest fanbase and you obviously didn't know that they outnumbered the Cowboys in their home stadium (because you made an assumption based off limited evidence, just like I said.)

The whole "America's Team" thing really depends on who you ask. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1693562-which-squad-should-be-considered-americas-team-in-the-modern-nfl lays out how teams fall under various criteria.

Stop claiming things you know things that you don't then. You don't know that the Steelers have the largest fanbase and you obviously didn't know that they outnumbered the Cowboys in their home stadium (because you made an assumption based off limited evidence, just like I said.)

I'm not claiming to know things that I don't. I admitted that some of what I was saying was hypothesizing (and thus could be incorrect). But what I WASN'T hypothesizing, I had researched a long time ago. The stadium thing, I made a simple mistake on. It's no reason to call me a fool.

The whole "America's Team" thing really depends on who you ask. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1693562-which-squad-should-be-considered-americas-team-in-the-modern-nfl lays out how teams fall under various criteria.

If we are taking the credibility route here then it'd be wise to avoid posting bleacherreport

Hmm. Yeah, you might be right there, Lord Raven, now that you explain it a little more. And thanks for being more civil about it instead of accusing me of lying or being a fool.

I do know for sure that the Steelers have the largest number of fans overall though. Some would surely love to show more loyalty and attend the games, but tickets get so expensive, I doubt many of them could afford them every season or even at all. Or, as is the case with me, they might have sensitive hearing or hate crowds. But they were named "America's Team" after the title was stripped from the Cowboys for several reasons. The huge fanbase, their unsurpassed number of Lombardi Trophies, the loyalty of their fanbase, etc. A Steeler was also responsible for what is probably the best known NFL play in history, the Immaculate Reception (that Steeler being Franco Harris. :D). There's also the famed Steel Curtain, four superb members of the 70s defense. I think many of the most famous NFL players were Steelers. Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Jack Lambert, Joe Greene, Lynn Swann, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, and probably more I don't know about.

I'm partly making a hypothesis though.

Confusing.

The point was that "America's Team" is a really arbitrary title. The Cowboys have historically been the ones to have it, but lots of other teams could make arguments for it. There is no definitive team for it.

^ This is what happens when an entirely analytical person and an entirely emotional person have a discussion/arguement. No offense to either of you, but I find it hilarious.

Every team that has had a dominant stretch in the NFL has fans all over the world. The Bills for instance have a far-reaching fanbase because of their huge success in the early 90's.

Every team that has had a dominant stretch in the NFL has fans all over the world. The Bills for instance have a far-reaching fanbase because of their huge success in the early 90's.

Except the Ravens, over the past five years we've yet to expand past Maryland :(

Yeah, newer teams have a problem of most fans already having a favorite team. I suspect that the fan numbers for the Ravens/Jaguars/Panthers/Texans will increase over time.

Well I guess the Ravens are sort of not new technically, but I think the old Browns fans didn't migrate over much which is why they got their own team. Cleveland is quite loyal to the Browns despite them being perennial failures for quite some time.

Edited by -Cynthia-

And a reason why teams like the Packers, Steelers, etc. have the huge fanbases that they have are because they've existed since the league began so many years ago as the AFL and NFL. I've looked this up before too.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, newer teams have a problem of most fans already having a favorite team. I suspect that the fan numbers for the Ravens/Jaguars/Panthers/Texans will increase over time.

Well I guess the Ravens are sort of not new technically, but I think the old Browns fans didn't migrate over much which is why they got their own team. Cleveland is quite loyal to the Browns despite them being perennial failures for quite some time.

Not quite. Indianapolis doesn't quite have a huge fanbase, neither do the Titans/Oilers (well there's reasons for that), Bills never had a huge fanbase despite their dominance, San Diego didn't have a huge fanbase despite the 00s dominance (no Super Bowls but they were *really* good), and many other teams despite dominance don't have a huge fanbase. Ravens fans are either new or people that were waiting for a new franchise after the Colts left, and the Colts themselves were kinda limited to Baltimore then Indianapolis after the move. Lions are really old and dominated the 50s and they aren't particularly big. Same with the Raiders (they stay within gangs and Oakland/LA), Kansas City, and Miami. Patriots weren't big until the 2000s, before then they were known as a mediocre franchise with 2 SB appearances (Both losses to the Bears and Packers). A lot of it is just the market, other part is that Ravens were never dominant, just an annoying team that would take wins from random games and show up in the playoffs, maybe pull off an upset victory or two, and then twice going to a Super Bowl. And let's not forget about Cincinnati, who are pretty much the pre-2001 Patriots.

Interestingly enough, we weren't expected to win SB35 OR SB47, the former baffles me because of that historically amazing defense.

Edited by Lord Raven

I was talking from a global sense. Not just the US. Fans from a region move away and remain diehard fans, like with Ana.

No team will be able to convert existing fanbases completely but thats where peoples 2nd, 3rd, and 4th "favorite" teams come in. If asked which one team, Ana will say shes a Steelers fan but she also likes Carolina, and Miami. I would think the Ravens make alot of peoples list of 5 favorite teams, however only the Maryland area is diehard.
I have like 10 teams I like, Ravens being one of them.
Ana, you might be happy to hear that Oakland has lost their last 10 games when coming off a bye week.
Good luck today everyone.

Though to be fair, their coaching, management, and team is much better now than it was the past 10 years...

Also Calvin Johnson on a slant = most dangerous receiver/route combination in the nfl. Not to detract from him but Stafford's skillset is the perfect match for him, given his pinpoint accuracy and speed on short passes.

Edited by Lord Raven

Told you guys the Raiders were the best of the bottom dwellers this season. They have nowhere to go but up from this season.

Also, holy fuck@the Lions. That last minute was fucking amazing!

Edited by Lord Raven

Told you guys the Raiders were the best of the bottom dwellers this season. They have nowhere to go but up from this season.

So do the Steelers. And their defense is normally better than this (now the Raiders have 14 points and only half the quarter is over). I can't get what's going on here. This is why I would MUCH rather watch the game than have to follow it on NFL.com. -_-

Edited by Anacybele