NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you could've been more specific. I do follow who the Ravens play for the most part, but I don't remember every single one of their opponents off the top of my head. And I've seen them play many times due to being in the same division as the Steelers.

I don't know if you've watched our defense if you're saying they're not good. Manning struggled against them in the first half of the game before the record-tying performance - that record tying performance was because the offense's drives stalled constantly and the defense came out immediately after they went back in. They were tired as fuck, and you could see our corners and linemen hyperventilating toward the halfway point of the third. Nothing too different happened in Buffalo, except the Ravens D choked it away when it was at a situation where we had a field goal to tie it - other than that, we got 1 or 2 ints on EJ Manuel but kept getting burned deep. The 5 ints from the offense's lack of production didn't help them much either, so that's around 5 times they came back on the field almost immediately after leaving the field.

Green Bay had similar issues but they held Green Bay offense to 19 points total. 7 they got burnt deep, 3 was because Flacco lost a fumble (the only fumble lost all day despite forcing two stripsacks on Aaron Rodgers; they also kept Rodgers around 50% incompletion and he was much lower than 50% for most of the game), and a few field goals because they allowed one screen and one run to get really really far. Both were flukey plays. They did choke but they have been effective. Rodgers was not comfortable in the pocket and the offense kept stalling because our run game is seriously some shit right now. I think Wilson, Kaepernick, and Smith have rushed for more yards than Rice, Pierce, Leach, and Flacco put together. If you saw the Baltimore game today you'd know just how good their defense is.

They got 5-6 sacks on Tannehill and held Miami to 16 points. Miami were actually pretty damn good the first 3 games of the season before losing to the Saints. And this is with an offense stalling drives.

Houston's been selfdestructing lately but this was while they had a winning record and were 2-1 going into the game. Held them to 9 points, and that's holding the collective efforts of Deandre Hopkins, Arian Foster, and Andre Johnson as well as Owen Daniels.

This defense is way better than last year's defense - last year's defense was average at the very very best by any measure out there. The difference is that we had a run game last year to keep drives going even though our receiver corps this year is much better (yeah yeah we lost Boldin and Pitta but we got Dallas Clark, as well as a ton more production from Jones, Doss, and Thompson and a beast of an UDFA in Marlon Brown).

Ana - Ed Reed is now a Texan. But we have a better secondary than last year - Jimmy Smith is playing very well, Webb is healthy, Graham is doing what he does, Elam is a much younger Ed Reed, and Ihedigbo is much better than fucking Pollard. They just get burned deep a lot of the time. Our front 7 is miles better despite losing Ray Lewis. They just don't look as impressive because our offensive line is fucking terrible right now, either because the scheme sucks or because our center sucks. And even both. McKinnie sucked too at this point and Gradkowski isn't nearly as good as Birk. At least we replaced McKinnie with that guy from JAX; he did a lot better. (I still don't understand why McKinnie has regressed this horribly, because McKinnie was the reason we won the Super Bowl).

But no one game does not mean "manning hype train" especially considering that currently they have a few defensive players out. Including but not limited to, Von Miller, Champ Bailey (until now), Wesley Woodyard as of the Cowboys game, and I think Tony Carter or Chris Harris are also injured. Four starters on defense. Denver scored 51 points on Dallas but allowed 48; thats not "manning hype train" considering the defense failed to deliver. And the defense just gave up 1 TD and 2 FGs to JAX; Manning only gave up one, but he's allowed to make a mistake sometimes considering he scored thrice.

Edited by Lord Raven

Statistically speaking throughout the first 5 weeks, Baltimore is #14 in yardage allowed and #15 in points allowed. I would approximate their defense as "average" given those numbers.

Philadelphia is #31 in yards allowed, Dallas is #28, Giants are #24, Oakland is #17 so I suppose they're more average than poor. Denver's offense likely brings these defensive numbers down a little, but I'll stand by my claim that they haven't faced a good defense yet this year.

Yardage allowed is a terrible measurement. Example of why: San Diego was #1 in both (least yards allowed most yards gained) when they went 8-8 one season (because they had a good offense and the special teams really really really sucked) for instance. But it also discounts how some defenses actually work much better at getting the other team to the red zone and then blocking them down at the redzone, or if teams work much better with a shorter field and can force a punt at their 30-50 better than the other team's 20. Generally, Ravens are much better on defense with a shorter field because our corners can't keep up with wide receivers - but they can shut them down inside their 30-40 better than outside.

Besides the yardage rank is definitely inflated by the fact that they faced Denver and that Denver put up a million yards and points. Points allowed is a better metric considering Baltimore went 49-6-9-23-16-19. The 19 itself is a little skewed because in reality it's 16. The 16 itself is discounting the pick-6 on Flacco that happened because of McKinnie. Bengals are beating us by 5 in point differential in terms of the division, and Browns are definitely losing by 7 in point differential, Steelers are way down there. (Ravens point differential on the season is 5 btw, and would be higher if not for weird ass plays that the other team managed to get scores off of). 49 was a result of terrible offensive play from many sides, and lots and lots of poor preparation from the Ravens offense. Ravens numbers are especially skewed because our (defensive) points allowed per game goes from 14.6 to 20.3 if you take out the Denver game. Yardage, I didn't bother because I don't consider yardage anything other than a measurement of how a team's scheme works, not a factor of production.

Edited by Lord Raven

Ana - Ed Reed is now a Texan. But we have a better secondary than last year - Jimmy Smith is playing very well, Webb is healthy, Graham is doing what he does, Elam is a much younger Ed Reed, and Ihedigbo is much better than fucking Pollard. They just get burned deep a lot of the time. Our front 7 is miles better despite losing Ray Lewis. They just don't look as impressive because our offensive line is fucking terrible right now, either because the scheme sucks or because our center sucks. And even both. McKinnie sucked too at this point and Gradkowski isn't nearly as good as Birk. At least we replaced McKinnie with that guy from JAX; he did a lot better. (I still don't understand why McKinnie has regressed this horribly, because McKinnie was the reason we won the Super Bowl).

Oh, so that's true then. I wasn't sure if Ed Reed really left the Ravens or not, my bad. xP

holy shit@the patriots

the predictions i was right about:

Kansas City

Denver

Detroit

Carolina

Seattle

Chicago

Wrong: everything else, Dallas pending

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, finally the Saints lose! lol

The Broncos though, I think they're even scarier this season. o.o

Also, on another note, while I keep saying I love Antonio Brown, THIS was definitely the best play in the Steeler game: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000261327/WK-6-Can-t-Miss-Play-Flying-Sanders

Yeah, Sanders! :D

But Brown still did some awesome stuff too, like a successful Randel El-Ward play. Where Ben tossed him the ball, then Brown threw it to another receiver. That ball bobbled a lot in the second receiver's hands, but he got it! They need to work on it a bit more if it's to be as good as Antwaan Randel El and Hines Ward had made it though. And be careful when using it. Because if the receiver intended to throw it a second time can't get rid of the ball fast enough, yards could get lost. They should use it only when they're sure they can get receivers open.

Manning had 250 yards and 4 TDs at opening kickoff, didn't he?

Edit: Also, the Pack will be the best team in football if the offense ever gets its head out of its butt.

Yeah, they could be better. But there's also those damn injuries.

Their pass defense is dicks.

Not necessarily. Usually for most of the game they're solid, but they just like to give up crucial 50 yard passes when it's time to put the game away.

Edited by Mr. Haar

The end of the Patriots game made me sick. 10 seconds left, no time-outs and they need a TD. The Saints should have had 8 defenders standing on the goal line.

I am so fucking sick of seeing the Patriots win games they shouldn't be winning.

And the Bills play another close game only to lose in the end. Thad Lewis looked surprisingly good though.

It's the Saints' fault. On top of running it on third down instead of passing it (which works way better when you're Drew Brees and have 5 people open at any given play) prior to the 2 minute warning, they shit the bed and kept handing it off. Instead of going for it on 3rd down when their pass game is clearly working, they kick a field goal. Good receivers or not, the Patriots with 2 minutes left in the game is dangerous. They deserved to win it despite the fact that I wanted them to lose.

Edited by Lord Raven

holy shit@the patriots

the predictions i was right about:

Kansas City

Denver

Detroit

Carolina

Seattle

Chicago

Wrong: everything else, Dallas pending

I'm gonna join your predictions thing next week.

Yeah, finally the Saints lose! lol

The Broncos though, I think they're even scarier this season. o.o

Also, on another note, while I keep saying I love Antonio Brown, THIS was definitely the best play in the Steeler game: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000261327/WK-6-Can-t-Miss-Play-Flying-Sanders

Yeah, Sanders! :D

But Brown still did some awesome stuff too, like a successful Randel El-Ward play. Where Ben tossed him the ball, then Brown threw it to another receiver. That ball bobbled a lot in the second receiver's hands, but he got it! They need to work on it a bit more if it's to be as good as Antwaan Randel El and Hines Ward had made it though. And be careful when using it. Because if the receiver intended to throw it a second time can't get rid of the ball fast enough, yards could get lost. They should use it only when they're sure they can get receivers open.

I love that "Antwan Randel El" play you're talking about. Thought it was a super creative play that took advantage of the fact that Randel El used to be a QB in college. I remember seeing it for the first time in the Superbowl against the Seahawks and thought it was so cool (I was really really new to football at that time).

The end of the Patriots game made me sick. 10 seconds left, no time-outs and they need a TD. The Saints should have had 8 defenders standing on the goal line.

I am so fucking sick of seeing the Patriots win games they shouldn't be winning.

And the Bills play another close game only to lose in the end. Thad Lewis looked surprisingly good though.

Agreeing with Raven that the Saints lost that game more than the Pats won. Bad play calling towards the end, and they gave Brady too much time on the clock for shenanigans. Then Brady threw a dragon to Thompkins with 10 seconds left and pow.

Can you believe the Lions cut that guy (Thad Lewis)? He wasn't even good enough to make it as a third stringer, but he's clearly a solid quarterback. I'd rather have him than Moore right now haha.

I love that "Antwan Randel El" play you're talking about. Thought it was a super creative play that took advantage of the fact that Randel El used to be a QB in college. I remember seeing it for the first time in the Superbowl against the Seahawks and thought it was so cool (I was really really new to football at that time).

Yeah, my stepdad and I love it when they use that play too! I'm glad Todd Haley at least has enough brains to try THIS trick on occasion. Antonio Brown has a pretty good arm too and he was accurate with that throw in the last game. They just need to practice it a bit more and Randel El and Ward would be proud to have passed it on as a trend. ^^

EDIT: Oh, and on another note, Ryan Clark thinks that despite their record, the Steelers will still make the playoffs. Talk about not giving up on the team. :o

Edited by Anacybele

He only found out recently so he has every right to grieve.

I'm not sure if you read Torrey Smith's tweet at all about it, but athletes use the game more or less as a way of personal therapy I suppose. His tweet read like "Playing after tragedy is therapy" and etc, referencing the fact that last year against New England he played like the same day his brother died.

That stepfather is the biggest bastard on this planet. People feel bad for Adrian because he just lost a son that HE RECENTLY FOUND OUT WAS HIS AND NEVER GOT TO MEET! HE DIDN'T HAVE A CHANCE TO LOVE OR CARE FOR HIM! And FURTHERMORE, people don't feel bad for mister I-am-his-father-I-need-pity, because HE KILLED THE KID IN THE FIRST PLACE!

He should go to hell forever.

^ No, he's not the murderer. A different guy killed the kid.

I understand where the "father" is coming from but Peterson has every right to grieve. And if he doesnt grieve thats fine too, I dont know how someone is supposed to react from a situation like that.

Fun fact: Only 2 teams in the NFL have scored 20 or more points in each of their games this year. The Broncos and the Bills.

Someone's been reading reddit...

My weekly predictions you say?

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals - Say what you will about the Cardinals but Carson Palmer has this uncanny ability to keep his team in the game after throwing a jillion picks. Arizona also has this pass rush that can dismantle Russel Wilson's horrid offensive line with a solid secondary to go against average receiving corps to boot. Arizona's defense is the real deal and even though they got Gore'd, Lynch can still be stopped pretty easily. Add to how this is a Thursday night game @Arizona and the Seahawks probably can't pull it off. I gotta be right about the Cards sometime...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Atlanta Falcons - Glennon put up some nice numbers against the Eagles defense, which is probably more competent than Atlanta's at this point. Add to this how Tampa's defense is competent and they're out Julio to boot, as well as a run game and an offensive line, and I can see Tampa winning this even if it's @Atlanta. They struggled against so many teams with good defenses so far this year.

St. Louis Rams @ Carolina Panthers - Bradford has no one to throw it to and the Rams are generally underachieving same that weird Houston game last week. Carolina has plenty of talent in the front 7 (so STL won't be able to run the ball very well) and their offense is starting to look great. Rams don't have a great defense right now so they'd be hard pressed to stop Carolina at home.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Detroit Lions - Should be a great game, Bush is explosive as ever and Stafford is throwing strikes. Cincinnati also kinda sucks at away games and Detroit is incredible this year. Only issue in this game is if Megatron attracts enough coverage to open up the run game and the other receivers, and if the Cincinnati front seven doesn't get to Stafford first. But their usual tactic of screens and checkdowns to Bush should alleviate many of these concerns.

Cleveland Browns @ Green Bay Packers - If there's anything last week taught us, it's either Ravens offense needs some massive scheme changes to the offensive line or GB's defense is very strong. In which case, they will out Weeden as more incompetent than the public already believes and they will tire out that defense and torch them despite lack of a legitimate receiver corps. I can see this being a game dominated by GB in the second half after a first half shootout between Tim Masthay and Spencer Lanning.

San Diego Chargers @ Jacksonville Jaguars - San Diego's team is about as talented as Jacksonville's with one key difference, and that difference is Phillip Rivers vs Chad Henne. I can see a motivated Jacksonville team taking this away to go 1-6, followed by firing Mike McCoy, so I would not be surprised if San Diego shits the fan on this one. However, Rivers is finally playing like he played in the 2000s despite lack of talent all around him, so I don't really see him choking this one away.

Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs - Kubiak's playcalling makes Schaub look like Ryan Leaf right now, which is especially bad against a defense as scary as KC's. Arian Foster will never be an explosive runner; just a durable and consistent back that will continue to get you consistent yards per carry. But when Schaub drops back to pass, any Houston fan's heart should stop in that moment because you probably know exactly the play he's gonna run and you probably know exactly how it's going to end. Meanwhile, Alex Smith eats up 10 minutes of clock per drive by checking down to Jamaal Charles and they score slowly but surely. I can't see a single way that Houston can win this game. Then the defense stays healthy, forces a 3 and out, and back to the Alex Smith show. Arrowhead's fans are pretty passionate right now, too.

Buffalo Bills @ Miami Dolphins - Divisional game goes to the home team here, with the lethality that is Matt Flynn in Buffalo against that Miami defense... and the Bills epic pass rush against the Dolphins "bend but also break" offensive line. I can see Buffalo coming out with the win, but Miami's actually pretty good this year and I'm pretty sure they can rush Matt Flynn or stop CJ Spiller/Fred Jackson while preventing their WRs from being able to do much short of some short passes. Bills secondary may screw Tannehill at some points though, so it's a wash.

New England Patriots @ New York Jets - Jets aren't incompetent but the Patriots defense is too good and the offense continues to get better. Geno Smith can't pass too well against good defenses and plays very streakily, but this is also a wash due to NYJ signing some new WRs and it's Geno's first home game against the Patriots. A divisional rivalry like this one is bound to attract some really good play from the players, and both defenses are good. It's just a matter of the offenses being able to score against the defenses.

Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles - Philly's a pretty hard place to play in, and Dallas' defense is actually pretty bad. Meanwhile, Nick Foles has shown lots of potential over the past two years and can definitely put up some good numbers against this Dallas defense especially considering how well he torched the Tampa Bay defense. Ware and Carr are the only things that will ever keep Dallas in the game on defense, though, but that's still better than Philly's defense (though Philly's offense is way better despite Tony Romo being the other QB - LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson are lethal and Foles shows that he knows how to ball, as well as a generally much better scheme at a better pace to tire out a terrible defense). I expect a shootout that goes to the home team.

Chicago Bears @ Washington Redskins - The Redskins are so bad this year and the Bears have a great offense with an above average defense. I see no way Washington can get anything resembling a win in this game, even if it's in Landover. Also fuck the Redskins. But Redskins defense is really incompetent and Chicago's offense is really good. Where are those Cutler doubters now???

San Francisco 49ers @ Tennessee Titans - Fitzmagic needs to work the magic at home otherwise they will get stomped by the Niners. Niners defense shows that it's still pretty good without Aldon Smith, whereas Niners offense has one constant that will continue to get them yards no matter what; Frank Gore. Passing game may suck on the niners side but it's still getting better. Tennessee though has barely any semblance of an offense now that Locker's out for a few games, which just goes to show both how incompetent Fitzpatrick/magic is (Fitzsilence lol) and how much Jake Locker made this team better.

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers - Ravens are finally changing their blocking scheme to the playoffs one, but Gino Gradkowski is still our center so our offensive line won't be top 10 like the Super Bowl winning offensive line was last time. However, Pittsburgh is pretty week on offense because their receivers won't be able to match well against our secondary (speak what you will but they let only one big play go against fuckin Aaron Rodgers because Webb got beat deep - we don't work well with a longer field) and our pass rush is probably Top 3 in the league. On top of that, if our run game doesn't work, this game is ours if we decide to ditch it earlier and go straight to the passing game, where Clark, Doss, Smith, Jacoby Jones, and Marlon Brown are showing tons and tons of progress and ability to make plays and catches unlike the receiver corps of two weeks ago. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh doesn't have much outside of Polamalu and Taylor to defend against the pass, but I don't think they're nearly fast enough to catch up to Jacoby Jones and Torrey Smith especially since those two are always going deep when we need a big play (as evidenced by various 60-70 yard catches by Torrey Smith through much of the first 6 games).

Denver Broncos @ Indianapolis Colts - Bailey and Miller are back and can rush or beat down Indy's offense much better than they have been doing lately. Broncos defense is back, is what I'm trying to say, and I can see them edging out the Colts in a win as opposed to blowing them out. This will probably be one of the best games of the season though, and it's a wash but I can see Denver coming out with a win after the end of this game, whereas Indianapolis goes 4-3 despite them being one of the best teams in the league right now.

Minnesota Vikings @ New York Giants - I have no clue on this one at all and am going with the Vikings because I really want to see the Giants go 0-16. Both teams are way underperforming, Eli has David Carr levels of shellshock, and Josh Freeman is starting for the Vikings. Sure he has a better arm than Cassel and Ponder, and AD to hand it off to, but he was also signed like two weeks ago... It's a wash and will probably be a weird game.

Again im just gonna say where I disagree.

Idk why youre so high on Arizona, but the Seahawks are just a much better team.
Falcons are a mess right now but I cant see them losing to the Bucs. They will find a way to win 6 games.
Jets at home will win after that shitfest of a game in New England. Brady is a mess right now with all his targets gone, and if the refs actually call a few holding penalties on the Pats, the Jets D will eat them up. If its a typical game where the Pats get away with all of the holding then they might win.
The Bills signed Matt Flynn for depth, but as far as I know, Thad Lewis is going to start. I havent been following anything the last 2 days though, was Lewis ruled out?
If Thad plays, I like the Bills chances to win. I just dont think Miami is as good as all the hype they've been getting. Although the Bills D seem to love giving up big plays to their opponents...

You said Pittsburgh's offense would be weak against the Jets too, Lord Raven. And look at the results of that. Keep jinxing my team to win, plz. :D

On another note, Kurt Warner listed his top five QBs based on week 6 and he put Ben as number 4! :D Pey-Pey was number 1, of course, which I agree. He's monstrous.

^ No, he's not the murderer. A different guy killed the kid.

Oh, I'd heard that it was the stepdad. My bad then. But Peterson still has every right to grieve, you're right.

Edited by Anacybele

You said Pittsburghoffense would be weak against the Jets too, Lord aven. And look at the results of that. Keep jinxing my team to win, plz. :D

Jets defense is good but the offense shit the fan worse than I expected. Ravens offense is a run game away from dominance, and Harbaugh is fixing the blocking scheme that has fucked us all season, especially in the run game. If Flacco weren't deceptively mobile our offense would be atrocious.

Kurt Warner said that? Wut, this season is all Manning, Rivers, Luck, Romo, of course Rodgers. Ben doesn't deserve to be on that list... especially considering Rivers has even less to work with and the Chargers are 3-3.. Ben keeps yall in games but the 1-4 record is telling.

Also I thought Thad Lewis was out lol, I'll explain Arizona later when I'm not on a tablet but their defense is actually very good and the offense has better weapons but no oline, whereas Seahawks don't have a pass rush. Seahawks also have a poor oline vs Arizonas pass rush and secondary.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, I was half-joking. lol

Yes, Kurt Warner said that, but remember I said it was based on week 6. And Ben rocked against the Jets. He broke a tackle to avoid the Jets getting a Safety, he threw a successful bomb to Sanders for a TD, he ran for a first down on 3rd to get first and goal. And even the rest of the season he was great. It was the rest of his team that couldn't get the job done for awhlie. Ben's our franchise QB and has surpassed some of Bradshaw's records (and Bradshaw was amazing).

Have you actually been watching the Steeler games? Ben played well in all of them. A team's record doesn't indicate ANYTHING about the QB's skill and performance. Say you stick Pey-Pey with the worst offense in the league. I doubt they'd be winning much. Pey-Pey might get them a little ways, but if his receivers can't catch his passes and the o-line can't protect him or the RBs lose the ball a lot, there isn't anything he can do about that. This is sort of the problem we had with the Steelers. Ben's receivers missed his passes, RBs lost the ball, and his o-line couldn't protect him.

Edited by Anacybele

Rivers offensive line is actually as terrible as the Steelers, receivers are about as bad and the running game only has Danny Woodhead, meanwhile Pittsburgh has a much better defense. Yet Steelers offense is pretty bad yet San Diego's is much better. Dunno how much is and isn't scheme but much of Pittsburgh offense is underperforming outside of the Jets game and they put up most of their points when the defense is playing conservative after taking the lead.

All it means is that Bens not at that "makes scrubs look like studs" level of play right now. Point is that Ben has about as much help if not more than rivers right now but rivers is clearly doing much better with that.

All the Chargers have outside of Rivers is like Woodhead and maybe Gates, all of their other receivers are on IR so they have to use some scrubs which are working because RIVERS IS BACK BABY!!! Put Ben on the Chargers right now and I don't think he'd be as good.

As for the Falcons game - Tampa Bay is a much more talented team than NYJ, and you saw what Geno Smith could do to Atlanta's defense. Tampa Bay will have just as easy a time with a better offense (Matt Forte and VJax) and a less mistake-riddled quarterback and a better secondary. Atlanta also lost Julio for the season.

Edited by Lord Raven

Whatever, we'll just have to see what happens when the Steelers and Ravens clash Sunday. I think Tomlin's changes to the offense have worked, because if our "terrible" offense did as well as they did against the Jets defense, which you said was good, then that's got to mean SOME improvement.

Also, your Ravens need to watch out for a few things. Those few things being Ben, Miller, Polamalu, Woodley, Brown, Wheaton (if he plays this time), and Sanders. Flacco definitely needs to be wary of Woodley. He's started sacking QBs again. :3 Wheaton is supposed to be as fast as Wallace. Good luck catching him if he gets a Ben Bomb. Brown and Sanders know how to run around defenders, and Polamalu because Polamalu. And Miller because Miller.

Edited by Anacybele