Things you are a fan of and feel like one of it's only fans

Elieson

Ragnarok! My best friend introduced me to it, and I played it a lot. I met a really good friend there, and we became internet pen pals when he couldn't find time to play every day anymore. We recently lost touch because of problems on his side (lol drama over the internet), but yeah. Really good memories. I liked the sandbox nature. I just wished there was more customization.

There's more now what with the release of 3-1/3-2/Ultra Expanded classes.

Also I'll one up you. I got married IRL to a girl I met over RO (on a private server, TsunamiRO, later DevilishRO).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xenoblade Chronicles is a huge one for me. Seriously, I absolutely love this game but I've barely seen anyone ever mention it until I read this topic.

I WOULD say Disgaea, but I know there's actually a huge fanbase for it that I can't find.

As for other games, I'd say Eden Eternal, Smite, and Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a huge one for me. Seriously, I absolutely love this game but I've barely seen anyone ever mention it until I read this topic.

I know a lot of people who love that game.

With good reason. It's a damn great game.

I never can find people who share my interests, apart from my brother and I, I only know a few other Nintendo fans, and out of them, I feel I'm the only one who enjoys the Metroid series. I'm sure there is quite the fan base online, but I never come across any of them, because apart from this forum, I pretty much spend my time on YouTube, Pokemon Showdown or Facebook.

I never can find people who share my interests, apart from my brother and I, I only know a few other Nintendo fans, and out of them, I feel I'm the only one who enjoys the Metroid series. I'm sure there is quite the fan base online, but I never come across any of them, because apart from this forum, I pretty much spend my time on YouTube, Pokemon Showdown or Facebook.

Not played much outside of the Prime series (I got to Sector 2 in both Fusion and Other M) , loved the primes series, Fusion was an emulation which puts me off slightly and Other M, blergh!

Try the IP chat on for size, A good amount of us regulars duel each other in Pokemon Showdown aha

Edited by LordMonde

There's more now what with the release of 3-1/3-2/Ultra Expanded classes.

Also I'll one up you. I got married IRL to a girl I met over RO (on a private server, TsunamiRO, later DevilishRO).

I see...Maybe I'll start playing again just to see that.

Whoa, seriously?! That's amazing! :O

Odd. It's the west that makes Metroid a success, because Japan doesn't like it too much. Legend of Zelda is the same way, which surprised me.

Not played much outside of the Prime series (I got to Sector 2 in both Fusion and Other M) , loved the primes series, Fusion was an emulation which puts me off slightly and Other M, blergh!

I heard it was created with the intent of attracting more Japanese fans, but failed. Apparently, it sold just like any other Metroid in Japan while international sales hit its lowest.

I liked the combat gameplay in Other M, other than that, I consider the rest an abomination.

Edit: @LordeMonde does everyone use the same username on Pokemon Showdown? I go by Kingdom.

Edited by Knight

I liked the combat gameplay in Other M, other than that, I consider the rest an abomination.

Edit: @LordeMonde does everyone use the same username on Pokemon Showdown? I go by Kingdom.

I admittedly have no idea what they did with Other M. All I know is that it's different compared to the rest of the series. Then again, I'm not a fan of Metroid - it's difficult to get me into something that takes place in space and/or involves aliens. Also, I got traumatized by some demo in 3rd grade and never touched a single Metroid thing again. Anyway, I'm curious. Did they try to make Samus more...uh, what's the word? Feminine? Kawaisa...?

By the way, may I ask what Pokemon Showdown is?

Live a Live.

Like I've met what 4 people here that KNOW the game.

It's amazing

That probably doesn't include me so make that five.

And I agree, it's amazing

[spoiler=Obligatory Extended Megalomania]

Edited by Lævateinn

Mine's just Monde on PS

I admittedly have no idea what they did with Other M. All I know is that it's different compared to the rest of the series. Then again, I'm not a fan of Metroid - it's difficult to get me into something that takes place in space and/or involves aliens. Also, I got traumatized by some demo in 3rd grade and never touched a single Metroid thing again. Anyway, I'm curious. Did they try to make Samus more...uh, what's the word? Feminine? Kawaisa...?

By the way, may I ask what Pokemon Showdown is?

It's an online Pokemon battle "simulation" you can play in your browser. You can battle in any sort of level (uber Pokemon, overused , underused, etc.) make a team, give them any moves available to them, items, abilities, EV's, and all that. Then take any of your teams, and just start battling any opponent.

And about Samus, I think they just didn't know what sort of character to give a formerly silent protagonist, unfortunately it was the complete opposite of what the fan base thought. The story would have at least been okay if it weren't for those f***ing monologues.

Edit: @LordMonde alright.

Edited by Knight

While the R-Type fans have long been loyal up to R-Type Final, I feel like none of them liked R-Type Command/Tactics.

I understand that it's a big change - from Side Scrolling Shoot-em-up which has a depressing ending just as often as not (with a background narrative on occasion, as well,) to, well, Side Scrolling Turn Based Strategy game with a pretty depressing narrative that you can't really get around.

But I liked it as a Spin-off. I acknowledged that it wasn't the R-Type that kept me coming back to beat the second level as a kid. Rather, it was the background narrative that gave those campaigns purpose. The Wave Cannon and The Force System gave a single player a warship level cannon - or even bigger, if you had the Ragnarok II at your fingertips come Final - and an invincible weapon module made of your enemy was a great feeling.

The feeling of commanding a whole fleet of Warship Cannons with Warships armed with even bigger Warship cannons is just a beautiful "Press this button to evaporate your enemy" feeling.

Then comes the disappointment that R-Type Tactics II isn't coming over to the west, despite it's localization being confirmed as an In-House project. Currently, I'm running Tactics II on an emulator, and I'm still seeing new narrative open up, even if I can't understand a word of it - to see (what I assume is) the 26th century enemy, that enemy which humanity had created the Bydo as a weapon to use against, cause the Bydo to turn 180 degrees and run is quite the chill. I still can't wait to get to that point in the game. But for now, I'm trying to buddy up to my Adjutants and defeat the GRA.

For an off-shoot of a shooter series, R-Type Command has a fair bit of it's own strategy you won't find elsewhere - the Wave Cannons can be utilized in a "Waxing-Waning" warfare manner, or they can be used to augment an already solid assault. The Force units can be utilized to open up new strategies when in tandem with their respective R-Ship - and yes, you can attach a force to the front or the back of a squadron. . . or leave it independent and utilize the powerful but risky Force Ram attack.

Each side has its own feel for combat, thanks to different tech trees. Bydo units are divided between organic support and sacrificial units, who despite their weakness in intense combat are far sturdier than their stats suggest thanks to automatic regeneration, and powerful high performance mid-bosses such as Gains and Tablocks, who being Artillery are powerful but unable to repair themselves and take up much more space than individual Bydo Units.

On the Earth Side, you have good Radar and Bombing capability combined with much better bottom-rung and well rounded units, but keeping all units repaired becomes a problem. In R-Type Tactics one, Humanity has many Wave and Force Options, but an over-use of certain units can strap you for space if you rely on too many forces-a force can't bring its best weapons to bear if the fighter it supports is destroyed beforehand.

Then Earth strategy splits further-namely, in Tactics II there are two factions of humans - The UFS, the remaining members of the military which you served in the first game and the main proponents of continued Bydo research as a new weapons system, and the GRA, a "terrorist" group (term used loosely) who oppose the UFS on the grounds that, since the Bydo have been dormant - and probably defeated, to the best of humanity's knowledge - there is no more need for the "necessary evil" of the force, and that it should be destroyed lest it leads to a resurgence of Bydo.

As far as I understand, ATM. I'd mention how they differ, but they're different enough to have almost separate tech trees.

I also heard that there are two unrelated civilizations that appear in the endgame as even stronger enemies. Possibly the 26th century enemies I mentioned earlier.

I think I've done enough ranting.

Bob and George.

I used to like that comic, but looking back I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it as much.

did somebody already say suikoden? i feel like that about it

I love that series. Eclipse also liked V, and there's someone on here named Lenh who liked parts of the series (dunno which). There are probably a few others too.

Live a Live is also something I've played like 2 or 3 times for some reason.

Edited by SeverIan

It's an online Pokemon battle "simulation" you can play in your browser. You can battle in any sort of level (uber Pokemon, overused , underused, etc.) make a team, give them any moves available to them, items, abilities, EV's, and all that. Then take any of your teams, and just start battling any opponent.

And about Samus, I think they just didn't know what sort of character to give a formerly silent protagonist, unfortunately it was the complete opposite of what the fan base thought. The story would have at least been okay if it weren't for those f***ing monologues.

Edit: @LordMonde alright.

Oh, that sounds intense.

TvTropes said something about Samus being less competent than usual and having abusive relations with her surrogate father. o.o

TvTropes said something about Samus being less competent than usual and having abusive relations with her surrogate father. o.o

oh, the worst part is that samus' "father" tells her when she's allowed to use her upgrades. you know how in metroid games you always need to collect your upgrades? that's this game's excuse for not being able to use them after the past games. so bad >_<