Things you are a fan of and feel like one of it's only fans

Elieson

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only fan of games like Earthbound and F-Zero.

not sure what you mean...i hear about earthbound all the time, a lot of people think i'm a fan of earthbound because there's a dog named boney or something. as for f-zero, i hate how the last game just had techno music(instead of the legendary power metal in the previous game), and i hate how "f-zero" has diminished into a fandom for the main character and no one else.

I loooove Custom Robo, but yeah, I've only played the two U.S. releases...

On the topic of fighting robots, Medabots holds a lot of nostalgia for me, especially the GBA RPG. Creative and varied robot designs, plus a unique battle system and a story that doesn't take itself too seriously.

custom robo had 2 n64 releases(NOISE...WHY not localize ANY of them??), and a GBA release that has a steel solid language barrier, effectively preventing you from finishing the game.

medabots RPG's story didn't take itself too seriously because the anime was the same way. i loved that. though...egh, that game. i had to use the speed up emulator function on battles and use save states to get the parts i want in that game. basically, i can't enjoy that game without an emulator :I

Wasn't that also a show? Or am I thinking of something else?

yes, it was.

Many years ago, I felt like I was the only one who knew the name of the guy who played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter. Years later, his fame has exploded. Also many years ago, I felt like I was the only one amongst my non-Asian friends who liked listening to Yiruma and his gorgeous music. And then Twilight came and 'River Flows in You' was ruined forever, though Yiruma's name was spread more widely as a result. *sigh*

I'm not sure if stuff like Okami count, where it DOES have fans, but needs a lot more since it's that good.

In any case, there's Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone.

okay enlighten me...what's so good about yggdra union anyway? it gets so much praise, but i've played the game and all i get out of it is "press buttons and hope you win". the main character never wins any fights, by the way.

I like the gameplay system... a lot. It's absolutely not "hope you win". The only problem is that it takes quite a bit of time to really become comfortable with the gameplay, but once you get there, it becomes a very enjoyable game.

I will admit that the clashes tend to take too much time than necessary, which is probably what your issue was.

Eli, I played Illusion of Gaia, as well as Soul Blazer and Terranigma. But ya, that one doesn't seem too well known.

As for other stuff, I think there are a lot of things I've never talked about with anyone else, but...well...I'm too lazy to think about them.

Saga Frontier II

I've heard great things about this one.

Edited by SeverIan

I like the gameplay system... a lot. It's absolutely not "hope you win". The only problem is that it takes quite a bit of time to really become comfortable with the gameplay, but once you get there, it becomes a very enjoyable game.

I will admit that the clashes tend to take too much time than necessary, which is probably what your issue was.

it's not that they take long, it's that...what's even happening? you pick a unit to fight against, the 5 little sprites on both teams swing their weapons around for like 30 seconds, and somebody(hopefully your team) wins. then the losing team loses health(morale). it's like in strategic rpgs when you hit enemies, except in this game you don't even know if you're actually going to take their health away. i just don't get it.

Psychonauts

agreed

it's not that they take long, it's that...what's even happening? you pick a unit to fight against, the 5 little sprites on both teams swing their weapons around for like 30 seconds, and somebody(hopefully your team) wins. then the losing team loses health(morale). it's like in strategic rpgs when you hit enemies, except in this game you don't even know if you're actually going to take their health away. i just don't get it.

But it's not based on hope. You can plan ahead on how the clash is gonna turn out, and make a few decisions during the clash (Passive/Agressive and Skills) to alter the outcome. The only random element is the execution of character attacks which depends on luck and doesn't have that much of an impact. Everything else is based on stats, skills, weapons, etc.

it's hard to find AnJ videos that don't have reused frames/animations, which I've heard people complain of, but man that's part of the charm and the song is simply too strong

Edited by Rehab

Shadow Hearts

I have never physically met another person (other than my siblings) who has ever heard about or played Radiata Stories. And that makes me terribly sad.... :(

I actually have played and beaten this :E

Edited by PKLucas531

mewyeon, why would you be bothered by the things you like gaining popularity?

Oh no it's great that they've gained popularity! In Robert Pattinson's case, I just thought that Twilight seemed to change him a lot. Maybe it's just that he as a person was changing, and that's fine, but...I don't know, I preferred him how he was before. Just an opinion. As for Yiruma, it's really good that his music is becoming more widespread! But during the Twilight phase, it seemed whenever people hear 'River Flows in You' they automatically link it with Twilight, or at least the people I've been with. i just thought it was really unfortunate that such a lovely piece of music became associated with such a bad movie franchise.

Edited by mewyeon