QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

Hmm, a relatively small place with reliable public transport links, preferably close to a good quantity of woodland. Throw in some hills (I'm not foolish enough to ask for mountains, considering the weather that comes with them), a river and possibly a lake.

Must have: Plenty of second hand bookshops.

Must not have: The usual gangs of teenagers who seem to have nothing better to do than hang around chucking stones and insults (yes, I'm on the recieving end of this, on the basis I... wear glasses). I've got nothing against teens who refrain from this sort of harrasment though; they're free to do as they please.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A town that isn't full of dumb people, a neighbourhood within walking distance of a park or some sort of nature area, and a grocery store. My current neighbourhood fits those requirements, except it has dumb people. I wouldn't mind living in a big city, although I like rural towns, I wouldn't want to live in one.

Any neighbourhood you live in will have at least 1 dumb person so good luck with that

Oi! I does take grave offense a'that, gov. Don't imply all us starry-eyed, exploration-of-the-unknown types ought to be thrown under the same bus as that rightfully deserved by those responsible for such rot as the genocide and enslavement of entire civilizations.

Besides, there's nobody to displace on an asteroid.

RE recent question: I dunno, actually. I've enjoyed my city vacations living with relatives, but I've spent so long in the suburbs that their sense of comfort is hard to deny.

Can I say a decent-sized space station? Preferably the size of the greater D.C. metropolitan area? with a biodome? Basically where I live but in space

Imperialism is what slavery and genocide stems from, not colonialism. Colonialism is simply settling on foreign lands, like the ancient Greeks for instance, whereas imperialism demands the people living on the land should be part of the empire without the benefits of actually being a real citizen of the empire, like Spanish imperialism.

I suppose there is validity in saying imperialism cannot be practised if there is no indigenous peoples to oppress. Besides, I'm sure space exploration will gradually lead to more and more kinds of settlement besides asteroids (eg: habitable planets), and when that happens, I sincerely hope we remember what happens when we settle on foreign lands without asking anyone.

Edit: For today's question- I would want to live in a large city with ACTUAL good transportation. Love you, Montreal, but wow your transportation sucks and is expensive.

Edited by Maji

Hmm. My ideal town is one where it's overcast most of the time. Nice breezy winds, rains fairly often but not so often that you're in a constant deluge. A place nice and green.

What's in the city doesn't matter so much, I like my hometown perfectly well. I just hate the weather. Too warm, too sunny. My beautiful blue eyes are too sensitive so I'm always squinting. D:

Describe your ideal social center (town, village, etc). What would it be like?

Busy, full of competition between local businesses, one of them mine; a modest but well stocked subscription library; a wonderful pizza joint; an ice cream parlor; a town full of amiable and ambitious neighbors. Protected by community watch and cases decided by jury trials.

Fiber optic cable for everyone.

Edited by Makaze

Busy, full of competition between local businesses, one of them mine; a modest but well stocked subscription library; a wonderful pizza joint; an ice cream parlor; a town full of amiable and ambitious neighbors. Protected by community watch and cases decided by jury trials.

Amiable ambition sounds delicious.

Well, that's because it's your ideal town center. I respect your boundaries. I'll never eat someone who isn't willing to be cannibalized.

Consensual cannibalism is actually okay.

Edited by Makaze

exactly

Who will raise the livestock?

Who will plow the fields?

Who will run the mills?

Who will build restaurant?

Who will cook the pizza?

Who will eat the pizza that you can't eat?

You're getting rid of all of your resources.

Any neighbourhood you live in will have at least 1 dumb person so good luck with that

I said full of dumb people, dumb people in moderation is good for your health.