QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

Because Godzilla is stronger and can breath radiation?

That's like asking why a body builder wouldn't use a gun to kill people.

Also let me state as an amateur biologist it is highly illogical to assume that SuperMan's gametes would have super powers.

>superpowers

>logic

Also the essay is supposed to be humorous. Larry Niven is a sci-fi writer, not a biologist.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Godzilla is stronger and can breath radiation?

Which would kill all the innocent civilians (that he's supposed to be saving) in the vicinity.

EDIT: Besides, Godzilla isn't part of the DC universe, so Aquaman can't summon him, anyway.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Immortality because living forever sucks

What is wrong about Aquaman? His superpower is basically complete domination over more than half(if not all) of the planet, and enough superpower to punch gods and shut them up.

Oh I personally don't have much of a beef with him, but he's cited as one of the recipients of the worst superhero powers

k8l03Rh.jpg

I think we all just lost.

Anyways!

What is your favorite paradox? This can include visual paradoxes, mathematically paradoxes, blah blah blah you get the idea.

Personally, my favorite paradox is the Monty Hall paradox, mostly because I still occasionally (try to) wrap my brain around the logic of the paradox trying to tear it apart.

Edited by Interest

Aside: I don't think the Monty Hall problem is a paradox.

I don't keep track of many paradoxes, tbh. The Epicurean Trilemma is one I remember, and is reasonably interesting. Especially one of the backstories I heard for it, in which some monks who were pissed off at Epicurus falsely ascribed the problem to him, and in the process created one of the more frustrating problems for future religious thinkers to deal with.

[spoiler=The trilemma, from Wikipedia]

One of the earliest uses of the trilemma formulation is that of the Greek philosopher Epicurus, rejecting the idea of an omnipotent and omnibenevolent God (as summarised by David Hume):[2]

1. if God is unable to prevent evil, he is not all-powerful
  2. if God is not willing to prevent evil, he is not all-good
  3. if God is both willing and able to prevent evil, then why does it exist?

Although traditionally ascribed to Epicurus, it has been suggested that it may actually be the work of an early skeptic writer, possibly Carneades.[3]

Anyways I'm sure I've heard of better ones, but I don't remember them.

EDIT: regarding my aside, I think you should define better what you mean by paradox.

Edited by Euklyd

Aside: I don't think the Monty Hall problem is a paradox.

From the article

The problem is a paradox of the veridical type, because the correct result (you should switch doors) is so counterintuitive it can seem absurd, but is nevertheless demonstrably true. The Monty Hall problem is mathematically closely related to the earlier Three Prisoners problem and to the much older Bertrand's box paradox.

And yes, I do consider it a paradox for that provided reason, blah blah.

No homework. No quizzes. No mandatory attendance. No labs.

Four exams make up your entire grade, with all the relevant material covered in class. It was the most glorious class, and I really miss that format.

Yes. Sounds heavenly, speaking as someone who truanted seven hours of most classes per semester on account of that was exactly as many as were permitted before shit went down.

I did too much philosophy (two years) to be anything but vaguely pissed off by paradox. Crusader Kings is pretty tidy though I'll have to give it that.

What is your favorite paradox?

crusader kings 2

EDIT:

Crusader Kings is pretty tidy though I'll have to give it that.

motherfucker you beat me to my own joke

Edited by Integrity

Most supervillains aim to conquer the land, not the sea. Aquaman's powers are all sea-based, thus they suck against supervillains and their land-based schemes for world domination.

Aquaman can control Human as well. There is even one part where Aquaman use his power to inflict brain damage\

Also I don't know what the hell Paradox is >_>

Edited by JSND

Also I don't know what the hell Paradox is >_>

par·a·dox
"A statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory"
Oh also, allow me to revise my favorite paradox.
It's obviously either Spiral Paradox or Paradox Spiral. Not sure which I like better.
Edited by Euklyd

Part of my theory on why it is impossible to travel back in time.

What is it? After some study I have to the conclusion that it is possible under very particular circumstances.

What is it? After some study I have to the conclusion that it is possible under very particular circumstances.

At its simplist, traveling to the past isn't possible because there is infinite means to screw over the universe. Also, no one from the future has come to the present, though there is potential one it is discovered the Earth has been completely forgotten or is unknown to the race that discovers it. I'd like to hear your theory though.

At its simplist, traveling to the past isn't possible because there is infinite means to screw over the universe. Also, no one from the future has come to the present, though there is potential one it is discovered the Earth has been completely forgotten or is unknown to the race that discovers it. I'd like to hear your theory though.

Your friend from university gives you a book which you read over a span of days. You like it enough that you want to give it another friend, but they left for the holidays on the day you got the book. You go back in time and leave the book in the dorm where you know they will find it before they leave. You go back to the future, believing everything is set.

Your past self finds the book before your friend and reads it over a span of days. They like it enough that they want to give it another friend, but your friend left for the holidays on the day your past self got the book. When your past self reaches the present, they go back in time and leave the book in the dorm for their friend again.

This creates an infinite stable loop. You will always go back in time and give yourself the book and you will always return to the present, leaving the book behind. Your current self goes back to the future and the world goes on as normal. As a side effect, you have erased the event of receiving the book and created a copy of the book so that both you and the friend who gave you the book have a copy of the same book for the duration of the loop.

You could get a similar effect if you set it up so that your friend would get the book but you would not know it. As long as you believe your friend has not read the book, you will always go back in time to give it to them. This would not erase the act of being given the book but would create two permanent copies of the book at the same time.

The key to a stable loop is to not alter the knowledge that you had when you decided to go back in time. If what you do in the past doesn't change the things that affected your decision, it can happen.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had an example of this, but with one problem in the film:

When Hermione throws the stone at Harry from behind the bush behind Hagrid's house, she makes the Harry from inside the house look outside. If they had not looked outside, they would have been caught and thus could not have been there to throw the stone. They had to back in time to throw the stone. They also had to throw the stone to go back in time. A circular problem is born that ruins the continuity. This is a self-actuating event and is a paradox that implies all events are predetermined in Potterverse.

Edited by Makaze

From the article

And yes, I do consider it a paradox for that provided reason, blah blah.

I am not understanding this three prisoners dilemma. If the warden names that B is to be executed then only one of the two remaining can be named pardoned. Is this just supposed to be saying that the mathematical possibility that he flipped a coin is supposed to be considered instead of discarded like Prisoner A did?