What was your first RPG game?

Siruppercut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe it was pokemon red or shining force. back in 98!

wow i feel old

hahahaha what you're exactly like me! except one year before. so liek da pocket monsters green to my pokemon red i have better sprites get on my level

hahahaha what you're exactly like me! except one year before. so liek da pocket monsters green to my pokemon red i have better sprites get on my level

lol Refa

ahh the sprites in red. they were so awesome to me back in the day lol

my first rpg game was call of duty, when friends and i would take turns seeing who could hit the furthest-away target with one

...what, wrong kind of rpg?

(it was probably pkmn emerald like 10 years ago or something)

2 on the NES could be considered one, but that's about it.

People always act like RPGs are solely defined by the existence of a leveling system rather then levels just being a mechanic for a specific aspect of Roleplaying, namely that a character gets stronger through training and experience. What's so special about that mechanic, that it's considered the sole requirement of an RPG? I mean when thoughtlessly implemented, they are just meaningless numbers.

Might as well say that every game with magic is an RPG. Or every game where you can buy stuff. Maybe Mega Man is an RPG, just because enemies drop loot on the floor.

Or is there something else that Zelda 2 has that the other games are missing?

Anyway, in my case it's either Pokemon Blue, Baldur's Gate or Gothic. I find it hard to narrow that down.

For the date, I assume 2001.

Edited by BrightBow

Say Suikoden 2 to give urself dat nawrd cred.

Hey man. My credz are legit! You wanna take this outside? Imma slap you with my Suikoden II jewel case *shakes fist menacingly*

But to be perfectly honest, my memory's kind of foggy xD

I can't really tell if Suikoden II was my first PS1 RPG or not. But it was one of my first RPGs to be sure. Along with Threads of Fate, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Wild Arms, Azure Dreams and Persona 2. Just which of those I played first is what I'm not sure of haha.

Edited by pinkbubblegum

Must have been Illusion of Gaia.I was young and I couldn't beat the first boss, but it was awesome.

You have earned my respect 10000fold

I like how the main character had the same "VA" as GOD, it was really awkward and uh...yeah, awkward.

Must have been Illusion of Gaia.

I was young and I couldn't beat the first boss, but it was awesome.

Gaia was probably my second. I'm pretty sure I played Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest first, but this was back in 1994-1995 when I was 3-4ish, so I don't remember it that well.

I enjoyed both of them (Gaia actually holds up, but Mystic Quest is enjoyable purely as nostalgia), but it was Super Mario RPG in 1996 that really got me hooked on the genre.

Destiny of an Emperor was my first RPG. I still love it to this day it's pretty unique, it's also part of why I got so into the Three Kingdoms era of China later other then the ROTK and Dynasty Warriors series.

1fd16e110e0cb1b3ea0f846d71b7d13f.png

Edited by Folgore Red II

Uhhh Pokemon Ruby.

That came out what 2003 or something.

holy crap I've been playing video games for 10 years of my life. WTF is wrong with me

I've been playing for 18 years of MINE xD

Phantasy Star 1 yup

Good times getting lost in the desert planet's first dungeon forever because I couldn't into english back then.

It's OK, neither could the developers amirite.

Phantasy Star 1 yup

Good times getting lost in the desert planet's first dungeon forever because I couldn't into english back then.

But there was a Brazilian Portuguese version