Pokemon X/Y General Thread

Quintessence

Just a warning: This is NOT Far from the Forest. Read the CoC regarding what is and isn't acceptable posting. I REALLY don't want to have to warn people in this thread for spamming. . .

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not the place, but anyone know how Mega Gengar plays in-game?

I tried Haunter in my PT but its so damn useless before its respiration date, to the point that it make Bidoof looks competent. Thats just wrong

The first Haunter is available before the fairy type gym and you can teach it Venoshock and Thunderbolt early, Shadow Ball also being learnt around this time. From there it gets Dazzling Gleam, Dark Pulse and Focus Blast (heh) and then a bunch of special TMs really late. This is just me theorycrafting since I got my Gengarite but have no ways to evolve my Haunter (no wireless), but I don't see why you'd have to ask if something with 170 special is good ingame. Of course it will wallop.

Its because Haunter is a big joke and its gym's match up are not exactly nice

I am kinda curious on how much the sp.a would make a difference

Edited by Choujin Sentai Chesnaught

Haunter still has 115 Sp.Atk, 95 Speed, a massive special movepool, and 3 immunities. It's far from a slouch ingame, it's just really glassy. Evolving to Gengar just bumps all it's stats up by base 15, which isn't going to make it bulky in the slightest anyway. With having a level advantage and EVs ingame(especially now that you can super train if you want to) it'll still outspeed practically everything, and go loads of damage.

Haunter still has 115 Sp.Atk, 95 Speed, a massive special movepool, and 3 immunities. It's far from a slouch ingame, it's just really glassy. Evolving to Gengar just bumps all it's stats up by base 15, which isn't going to make it bulky in the slightest anyway. With having a level advantage and EVs ingame(especially now that you can super train if you want to) it'll still outspeed practically everything, and go loads of damage.

The big difference between Haunter and Gengar this gen is that Haunter does not mega evolve whereas Gengar does. In old gens like GSC it was the elemental punch access that made them really different in value.

The big difference between Haunter and Gengar this gen is that Haunter does not mega evolve whereas Gengar does. In old gens like GSC it was the elemental punch access that made them really different in value.

Eh, I would say that Mega Evolutions are entirely superfluous ingame. It's complete overkill if you use the tools the game gives you. Sure, you could do no lucky egg, no Exp.Share, no super training, and all that, and then maybe the difference between Haunter and Gengar/MegaGengar might matter, but in a standard runthrough Haunter is more than enough.

The punches are nice in GSC because it has horrible TM selection, but in games like gen 1 and gen 3 with fairly accessible Thunderbolt, Mega/Giga Drain, and Psychic allow Haunter enough flexibility that Gengar isn't required. And once Haunter actually got special Shadow Ball by level up in Gen 4, it retained smooth sailing.

Now obviously Gengar is better, that's a no brainer. But I would say Gen 2 is the only one where you would notice much of a difference using Haunter instead of Gengar.

Yeah. We don't know how hacking would affect mega evos.

Like if the guy went into battle against a wild Mega Venusaur and it showed the mega evo icon, then yeah these would be fake.

I won't bring this up if its performance is not horrid

Sadly it is

It does jacksquat in the gym after it was captured, and can only can do something that everyone and their mom can do om Pokeball factory: e.g. killing Scraggy. Everything kills it in one shot, and its damage output is deceptively pathetic for a mon with 115 Sp.A

This is a kind of performance that is comparable to shit like Bidoof and Caterpie.

Oh, new poll for Johto.

Favorite starter is Cyndaquil. I like Lapras best out of the interactable Pokemon. Umbreon is WAY cooler than Espeon, imo (not to mention I like Dark types WAY more than Psychic types). Suicune is one of my favorite legendaries, it gets my vote. Ho-Oh is WAY cooler than Lugia. I don't really get why people like Lugia so much, that thing bores me to tears. Ho-Oh, on the other hand, is beautiful and makes rainbows. And it's Fire type. <3

I'm making my way through Victory Road, though I'm constantly having to return to a Pokemon Center (still haven't reached the person that heals your Pokemon for you). Also, the fact that so many Fighting types used by NPC trainers know Rock type moves is really annoying. >_>

Edited by Anacybele

Umbreon is WAY cooler than Espeon, imo (not to mention I like Dark types WAY more than Psychic types). Ho-Oh is WAY cooler than Lugia. I don't really get why people like Lugia so much, that thing bores me to tears. Ho-Oh, on the other hand, is beautiful and makes rainbows. And it's Fire type. <3

I like Espeon for SWEEPING~

And Lugia because DESIGN~ (And MOVEPOOL~)

And I don't like either Pokemon's design. lol

I made it to the league. Damn, was that time consuming. Between healing up a lot and hunting for items and creating shortcuts, that was quite a bit of work. I like how you went through a cave, then outside, then back into the cave, then outside again. It actually felt more like a true road.

I've a feeling I'll have a little trouble with the Water type E4 member because more than half my team is weak to water and the only Pokemon I have to trump it are my Bellossom and Aurorus (because it knows Thunderbolt). xP

The Steel type guy should be easy pickings though. lol

And I have Fauna the Sylveon and Aurorus for the Dragon type lady.

The Fire type lady... Oh boy. This could go either way because resistances on both sides. I'll probably end up literally fighting fire with fire. XD

So I got a 2DS and Pokemon X...I'm taking on a Wonder Trade run. Technically not a Wonderlocke - fainted Pokemon are restored at the Pokemon Center before being traded off again, and I don't allow duplicates.

The starters, fossil, gift Lucario, and Xerneas are transferred for safekeeping to my Y save and dummies are sent in their place. Everything else (first on the route) is nicknamed "TakingWTRun".

And so my team of six upon reaching Lumiose City for the first time:

Amaura (ruined by Adamant nature...looks like I'm salvaging it by running a physical set)

Snorlax (already looks to be my main Pokemon)

Amoonguss (overleveled)

Fletchling (non-Gale Wings, sadly)

Bunnelby (keeping it for Pickup and HMs?)

Weedle (benching it as soon as I get to the next route...)

I will only allow myself one break, and that is to bring in the Timid Synchronizer for Xerneas. I am not going to proceed with a foul-natured / off-IV'd Xerneas. (Special Attack and Speed must be the 31s.)

So I got a 2DS and Pokemon X...I'm taking on a Wonder Trade run. Technically not a Wonderlocke - fainted Pokemon are restored at the Pokemon Center before being traded off again, and I don't allow duplicates.

The starters, fossil, gift Lucario, and Xerneas are transferred for safekeeping to my Y save and dummies are sent in their place. Everything else (first on the route) is nicknamed "TakingWTRun".

And so my team of six upon reaching Lumiose City for the first time:

Amaura (ruined by Adamant nature...looks like I'm salvaging it by running a physical set)

Snorlax (already looks to be my main Pokemon)

Amoonguss (overleveled)

Fletchling (non-Gale Wings, sadly)

Bunnelby (keeping it for Pickup and HMs?)

Weedle (benching it as soon as I get to the next route...)

I will only allow myself one break, and that is to bring in the Timid Synchronizer for Xerneas. I am not going to proceed with a foul-natured / off-IV'd Xerneas. (Special Attack and Speed must be the 31s.)

Wonder Trade is great for blind runs. I'm doing something similar here. Best of luck to you!

More Pokemon for the run (anything not mentioned is perma-benched):

For (the dummy Doduo in place of Bulbasaur): Torchic

Nature and ability are perfect.

For the Oddish from Route 6: Bunnelby

This one has Huge Power. Old one is sent back...for overleveled Jigglypuff.

Today's lesson: Always check your Fletchlings and Bunnelbies for their hidden ability, they might not be complete duds.

For the Snorlax blocking Route 7: Two more Snorlaxes...then Deino

Feh about neutral nature and non-promising characteristic. Leaving it to level up in the Day-Care.

By the way, I'm turning off Exp. Share. Traded Pokemon already get experience quickly enough, and I don't need another disobedient Pokemon.

I'm using this opportunity to play as a girl...she will be as close to (FE:A Merchant) Anna as the trainer customization options will allow.