Worst Fire Emblem game?

Espinosa

Worst FE  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Which FE game do you like the least?

• Dark Dragon and Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Sword of Seals
    • Blazing Sword
    • The Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • Heroes of Light and Shadow
    • Awakening

Out of curiosity, how do you reconcile those two things? A game being dull and uninteresting would seem to get in the way of being "objectively good".

IDK exactly. It's just that there are some games that I don't find fun or compelling even though I can't really get much enjoyment out of them. Awakening is a good example (for me, at least): outside of the plot and balance, there isn't anything I can say is objectively wrong with it, but recently I just haven't been able to get enough interest to get a playthrough past the first few chapters. As for a game that's flawed but fun? ythingI can't think of anything for myself but I'm sure others have examples they could point to.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDK exactly. It's just that there are some games that I don't find fun or compelling even though I can't really get much enjoyment out of them. Awakening is a good example (for me, at least): outside of the plot and balance, there isn't anything I can say is objectively wrong with it, but recently I just haven't been able to get enough interest to get a playthrough past the first few chapters. As for a game that's flawed but fun? ythingI can't think of anything for myself but I'm sure others have examples they could point to.

Oh, no, I'm down with flawed and fun. To cite two games I'm playing right now, Mechwarrior Online has balance issues up its ass but I still love playing it, and Project X Zone has very little depth but it's still a flashy and fun romp.

EDIT: Actually, one of my favorite games ever (Men of War) has a whole fucking truck of flaws but I still love it because it has this certain charisma to it that I love.

I guess I just consider "lacks any appeal to me" to be an intrinsic flaw in a game, and therefore I wouldn't call it "good". I'd say there's nothing wrong with it, but that doesn't make it good to me even if other people like it. I was just curious as to if you had a different view.

EDIT: screw off people posting while i'm posting and making me quote!

Edited by Integrity

Fuck SD haters.

Fuck them all.

With a big stick.

Bought at the mall.

My vote if multiple choices would be allowed: FE4,5,6,7,8,10,13.

However since this is only one, I'd go with 7, the most hyped shit ever.

However since this is only one, I'd go with 7, the most hyped shit ever.

I'd probably have agreed a year or so ago, but how much of that do you actually see anymore? If anything, I've seen it generate an FF7-style hype-backlash in the last ~year.

I disagree. I'd say a game that's flawed but enjoyable is better than a game that's "objectively" good but dull and uninteresting, and what makes a game entertaining is always going to vary from person to person.

Of course there's still some subjective component as to what constitutes the "best/worst" FE game; that doesn't mean it's more subjective than the question of what your favorite FE game is. When people discuss, say, who the greatest composer of all time is, they also consider things like composers' creative influences on others (something that is less subject to disagreement than taste is).

Truth said: If the whole SD's cast gets just an extra line of convo, it wouldn't be so underrated and hated like now.

I'd say that if it had done more to distinguish itself from the original, it'd be better, really. I just don't like how at least a dozen characters don't even have a single line that isn't their death quote.

Of course there's still some subjective component as to what constitutes the "best/worst" FE game; that doesn't mean it's more subjective than the question of what your favorite FE game is. When people discuss, say, who the greatest composer of all time is, they also consider things like composers' creative influences on others (something that is less subject to disagreement than taste is).

But that's not what we're asking, we're asking which is the best, which to me is synonymous with the one I enjoy the most.

I only played 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 13. Between those, 10 is my least favorite. I did enjoy it the only time i've played it, but i don't see myself replaying it for a looooog time. I hate micaiah, i hate part 4, part 2 is a missed oportunity and the plot is really dumb, especially compared to it's prequel.

FE8 is way better than you give it credit for. Just sayin'.

1 was actually pretty funny when I tried it. Clunky and archaic sure, but I did get some enjoyment out of it and for a 1990 game on an 8-bit console, it's still pretty damn impressive.

Frankly I just don't like FE11 for being the remake of a game that's been remade once as FE3, then sorta remade, merged and given a "fresh" coat of paint in FE6. Not enough additions, a highly questionable mechanic for getting Gaiden characters, and overall they could've made the game so much more fun if they decided to use more of the Tools they've been given over time. Why are nearly all bosses Generals and Paladins when they could've been Horsemen, Warriors or Swordmasters? So many classes are seen as in game enemies while I don't think there's a single enemy Sage until Chapter 20 in the sequel. And I've never been a fan of reclass itself anyway.

FE6 is also polarizing for me since while I enjoy the game, I can't help but think FE5 opened up a lot of possibilities with its odd quirks and gameplay mechanics and FE6 took out way too many of them to make a simplified pseudo-remake. Then FE7 brought a tactician and two unlikeable lords to assist the H-man, FE8 was fine if a bit easy and the postgame's roguelike nature reminded me a lot of Diablo 1 more than Fire Emblem, especially that second-to-last level in the Lagdou Ruins, FE9 was as classic as FE gets, with the notable addition of a support conversation system that didn't suck ass and the substitution of arenas for bonus experience. Good, but not exceptionnal IMO.

FE10 got a lot of innovations that I really enjoyed, was actually pretty funny at times in the main game and had a pretty sweet soundtrack, but not everyone shares my opinion I guess.

Edited by Woodshooter

fe12 because it is just simply the only FE I can't bring myself to play anymore. I don't really know why it is, but it's possibly the horrible tutorial maps and the fact most of my favourite characters are useless D:

almost voted FE6 but I actually feel like playing that every few months or so.

FE11 is the worst game I have played. Everything was such a disappointment. The game is slow and very boring to play through. The music is inferior to its GBA predecessors. And the animations for the attacks and characters look lifeless and stiff. Not to mention the forgettable plot and far too many boring characters. I wish we had gotten FE12 in the US rather than FE11.

I haven't played the NES games, but I would apply the same rule that I apply with other series. I remember the context of the series. FE2 and AoL are experiments because the game mechanics were still being determined. And FE1 and LoZ still sets the standard. So I would find hard to rate those game down.

The music is inferior to its GBA predecessors.

Going to have to disagree with you there. FE11's soundtrack was one of the best things about it.

Though I guess that's just my opinion. At least there are multiple map themes

What I don't know is if people are voting for the least favorite, or actually the worst...

If it is my least favorite, I'd say FE11, undoubtedly, but I can't say it is the worst, because at least its gameplay mechanics were quite improved in comparison to previous FEs, for example: it is pretty dumb to select a unit and go adjacent to your enemy, select attack, select weapon and confirm battle engagement, whereas in the DS games you can just select the unit, your objective (enemy, in this case, don't mess up with villages and thrones) and confirm said action. I actually liked not going through unnecessary menus.

Regarding the worst, I don't know, I'd say FE6? I played FE4 and seize being a monopoly is awfully boring, but there's canto ability, a touching story and quite good chars despite not having conversations and such.

edit: as for FE6, I'd just say its BS hit rates, but it's quite enjoyable. So I won't vote

Edited by Quintessence

fe12 because it is just simply the only FE I can't bring myself to play anymore. I don't really know why it is, but it's possibly the horrible tutorial maps and the fact most of my favourite characters are useless D:

almost voted FE6 but I actually feel like playing that every few months or so.

I agree with Horace. I'm really not a fan of 12, although I am rather fond of 3.

FE1 simply for being extremely outdated, the rest stand on their own pretty well.

TBF FE2 is extremely outdated too.

Do you spend an hour moving items between your units in FE2?

Didn't think so.

I don't do that in FE1 either...

FE13 gets my vote because it tends to bring out the worst side of people, or at least right now it does.

not me 10/10