Worst Fire Emblem game?

Espinosa

Worst FE  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Which FE game do you like the least?

• Dark Dragon and Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Sword of Seals
    • Blazing Sword
    • The Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • Heroes of Light and Shadow
    • Awakening

"Engine" wise, it's basically the same as FE1 minus the "trading" system. I feel like from that perspective, it's aged almost as poorly as FE1. I just feel like the innovative concepts and unique things push it above FE1, so I guess I agree with you in the end, but for different reasons.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Engine" wise, it's basically the same as FE1 minus the "trading" system. I feel like from that perspective, it's aged almost as poorly as FE1. I just feel like the innovative concepts and unique things push it above FE1, so I guess I agree with you in the end, but for different reasons.

Well haha, I suppose you are right on those points ^^; I try not to bash games based on age usually but FE1.. Man its just so sluggish as said before. If the trading was better I'd say it would be a good start to the series [well it still is considering it got 12 sequels but you know what I mean.]

Disclaimer: I have only played the localized games.

While I think Awakening is a good game, I think it is the worst Fire Emblem game. The Avatar is the worst thing ever, and pair-up is a broken and boring gameplay mechanic. Alot of people hate seizing on every map but at least that requires some strategy. Routing requires you to place your units well, and kill boss is just pathetic in Awakening. So many 1 turn clears that require absolutely no thought...
FE 1 and 2 need to get a pass because of their age and the NES's limitations.
Again this is "Worst FE" but people are voting on their least favorite. My least favorite was FE10.

FE 1 and 2 need to get a pass because of their age and the NES's limitations.

Perhaps, but there are some things for which there is just no excuse whatsoever (needing to have healers attacked for them to get experience, anyone?).

Edited by Levant Fortner

Perhaps, but there are some things for which there is just no excuse whatsoever (needing to have healers attacked for them to get experience, anyone?).

Well FE2 fixed that at least.

Edited by shinpichu

Truth said: If the whole SD's cast gets just an extra line of convo, it wouldn't be so underrated and hated like now.

you're high

The reason why SD is so bad is not because of how boring it is or how terrible the characters are, but because it was a remade fire emblem that ended up being just as bad, if not just as bad(I haven't played anything before fe4, so I can't say for a fact of course). FE11 brought nothing from the newer FEs into it's arsenal(weapon triangle being relevant, magic trinity, supports, rescue), and the only thing it did bring just made each character into more of a literal unit slot(since anyone in a specific group could be a class).

FE11 brought nothing from the newer FEs into it's arsenal

Hey now

I'm not a huge FE11 fan, but I think FE11 should get more credit for making axes not suck a$$.

I mean, in FE3 you literally only have those 3 axe dudes you get with Ogma as far as axe users go. In FE1, it's not much better as you get those 3 + Darros. Oh, and none of them can promote in either game. FE11 gave all the axe users promotions, and also gave the Hero and Wyvern Knight classes the ability to use Axes.

Other than that what you said is completely valid. Carry on.

I think FE11 should get credit for making Caeda a SEX BOMB. Way better than FE1 Shiida or FE3 Sheeda.

It also introduced reclass which every game since then has used.

That too

I do think that Fe11 deserves a little more credit that in usually gets. Also, I like that unlike FE12 weapon weight still meant something.

Also in terms of FE1/3/11's characters, the fun part of it is making headcanon for all the characters, considering some do get a little bit of backstory via BS Fire Emblem and outside info those just get headcanon added while others we can completely dream up their story

FE12 added more character to them

Granted I have some headcanon for just about all the games even those with supports ^^;

Edited by Jedi

That too

I do think that Fe11 deserves a little more credit that in usually gets. Also, I like that unlike FE12 weapon weight still meant something.

um

I don't see how the heaviest weapons requiring 11 Str to wield "means something" aside from non-mage units.

um

I don't see how the heaviest weapons requiring 11 Str to wield "means something" aside from non-mage units.

It's better than it not affecting anything at all IMO.

Out of the games ive played, Shadow Dragon was the worst one. I cared not about Marth's quests or the characters. I found the maps awkward. I found the graphics to be hideous and obnoxiously clunky. I found it just plain boring. It is the only US released FE i didnt buy. (how did i play it then? lol....CyclosDS)

I used to think FE6

FE6 at least has interesting map design and like 5 worthwhile support conversations, not to mention Narcian and the story of how Zephiel killed Desmond and the story of how Hartmut killed Iduon

Actually the more I think about it, the more FE6 can somehow redeem itself

FE4 is just atrocious, however

edit: also whats with the FESD hate

Edited by General Banzai

To be fair, i havent played the very first iteration of Marth's game. I only played five minutes of FE2. Never touched FE3, and FE4's huge maps and the terrible patch i had didnt make me want to press on past the first two maps. I really never played FE5 either. FE12 (which is a remake of FE3, right?) is one i never touched at all.

FE6 had some seriously assy moments, but i at least gave enough of a shit to attempt to finish the game. FE11...yeah nope.

I only played 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 13.

Wow a person that actually played 11 and doesn't hate it.

1 was actually pretty funny when I tried it. Clunky and archaic sure, but I did get some enjoyment out of it and for a 1990 game on an 8-bit console, it's still pretty damn impressive.

Frankly I just don't like FE11 for being the remake of a game that's been remade once as FE3, then sorta remade, merged and given a "fresh" coat of paint in FE6. Not enough additions, a highly questionable mechanic for getting Gaiden characters, and overall they could've made the game so much more fun if they decided to use more of the Tools they've been given over time. Why are nearly all bosses Generals and Paladins when they could've been Horsemen, Warriors or Swordmasters? So many classes are seen as in game enemies while I don't think there's a single enemy Sage until Chapter 20 in the sequel. And I've never been a fan of reclass itself anyway.

Even tho I'm a hewg fan of 11, I still agree to this. This makes Rapier and Win Spear even more broken.

Going to have to disagree with you there. FE11's soundtrack was one of the best things about it.

Though I guess that's just my opinion. At least there are multiple map themes

Yay high five man

you're high

The reason why SD is so bad is not because of how boring it is or how terrible the characters are, but because it was a remade fire emblem that ended up being just as bad, if not just as bad(I haven't played anything before fe4, so I can't say for a fact of course). FE11 brought nothing from the newer FEs into it's arsenal(weapon triangle being relevant, magic trinity, supports, rescue)

First, there are supports, just not convos. Second, I can be high as fuck even if it means I'm to be called a weirdass person that like FE11.

Hey now

I'm not a huge FE11 fan, but I think FE11 should get more credit for making axes not suck a$$.

I mean, in FE3 you literally only have those 3 axe dudes you get with Ogma as far as axe users go. In FE1, it's not much better as you get those 3 + Darros. Oh, and none of them can promote in either game. FE11 gave all the axe users promotions, and also gave the Hero and Wyvern Knight classes the ability to use Axes.

Axes also pwn this game easily due to 80% enemies use lances.

Out of the games ive played, Shadow Dragon was the worst one. I cared not about Marth's quests or the characters. I found the maps awkward. I found the graphics to be hideous and obnoxiously clunky. I found it just plain boring.

Graphics, I might agree, though not as much. Maps, some are bad, but there are some that can be nice instead of some stupid wide plains with a few dots of forests.

edit: also whats with the FESD hate

People are retarded at times.

Wow a person that actually played 11 and doesn't hate it.

Actually, there are quite a lot of FE11 fans on this forum. Especially those who enjoy the bare bones. In fact, thats the only time i recommend FE11 to anyone is if they enjoy the bare bones mechanics of the games. Apparently, FE11 is fun for people trying to do certain kinds of runs. Like LTC and stuff. It really just...isnt my style.

Now this isn't necessarily a plus point in favour of Shadow Dragon nor can it really be used as a negative against the other games.

I feel that Shadow Dragon provided just enough characterization to all the major characters to let my imagination take over and run wild with headcanon. In FE13, I hate the majority of the cast because of their terrible personalities but SD allows me to fill in the gaps.

Again, not exactly a serious positive in SD's favour but it's just a personal preference of mine.

FE6 is a slog to me. It's a chore to play and I don't really find it fun at all.Part of it is because the translation before the overhaul bores me to tears, but the maps are not really very fun for me to play either. Things like villages are plopped down in bad arrangements. The support system is there but poorly implemented even for the GBA games. Hit rates against bosses are genuinely terrible and tedious. Roy is a bad unit but you're forced to deploy him and he promotes super late. Generally it lacks refinement. Shadow Dragon is not very far behind... I usually don't make a big deal about graphics since most of my favourite games are pretty simple. Heck, Path of Radiance is a really ugly GCN game. But there's just a complete lack of joy in the visuals that I can't get into. FE12's adjustments were subtle but still look loads better. Also, I hate the lack of rescue dropping and the fact that you're a fool not to abuse warp, otherwise the maps are a complete slog as secondary objectives like chests and villages are often waaaay out of the way. And there weren't any characters I latched onto either, so I shelved this game and probably won't ever play it again.

Never played the NES games so I have no comment. I imagine I'd probably dislike them as I tend to hate the clunky interfaces of oldschool games.

I like all Fire Emblem games! Picking the worst is tricky.

I don't plan on playing the NES games but will "eventually" get around to FE4 and 5. I am actually interested in 5 but everything I've seen of 4 really puts me off, but since I haven't played it I can't exactly give a sincere opinion. And I can't really play 5 without playing 4.

I really don't get all the people hating on FE6 and 11 in this thread though...everything people hate about FE6 (besides the hitrates) I like because it actually made me stop for a minute, go "fuck" and actually have to think a bit about how to approach things, because the straightforward "move over here and hit shit" wasn't as effective as in the games I'd been used to prior in 7 and 8 since enemies will actually kill you or fuck your units up somehow. And your jeigan is not an unkillable god of death. It's an incredibly messy game, there is no doubt about that, it could do with a lot more polish. But things like lol fog of war desert dragons and lol spiraling dissapearing floor with siege tome enemies that double people and hit for a bazillion damage is like you HAVE to go "okay hold up a minute", and I really respect that.

I havent played 11 lower than H5, but it doesn't really seem all that bad to me. I'll admit after it got out of the first couple of chapters I've found the positioning puzzles to be a lot less endearing than I initially did before, and I really miss rescue as a command. But it's actually convinced me reclassing isn't so bad after all (I was really opposed to the concept beforehand), and I love the localisation. Maybe if I was the type of player to try to warpskip the whole game or something I'd dislike it more but it feels damn solid enough to me.

If i had to list one...it's probably 10. I was enjoying my intial run of it a lot in part 1, part 2 was okay, part 3 started to become dull, and then part 4 has some of the most boring maps ever. Narrative wise, it shits on everything that was great about 9 in terms of charactisation and themes, and so many good ideas (free skills for particular char unless you remove, playing opposing sides, etc) just get completely wasted by poor implementation. 10 is so ambitious that I can't help but feel frustrated at it when it doesn't live up standards.

Edited by Irysa

I picked gaiden because of it's weird story and horribly outdated-ness.

About shadow dragon, I don't hate it. It's just that I can't really get excited about it. It's not bad but far from the best fire emblem.