Rebalancing FE9?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffing his base stats by 2 is also stupid. He already has decent stats and is surprisingly durable.

He is useless for LTC and "efficiency", but for drafts he is actually pretty good. And for casual play Rolf is perfectly fine. A minor bow buff and 3x effective MT will go a long way for him.
@ PKL - All the training Shinon gave him brought him from a "civillian" to an archer.

Poor Rolf. Mist must have thought he was a girl when he asked to go out with her.

Anyways... Elincia now starts with Paragon and has 30 capacity (It's hard to overpower a unit who will only see three chapters of use).

Parity now just negates the enemies skills and bonuses and not the players. That should help Lucia out a bit.

The whole point of the topic is to try and balance out characters/the game. Lucia is a distinctly bad character for her late and underwhelming joining, poor skill, and lack of potential. Giving her some sort of boost to help her out is part of that goal.

And yea, forgot about Nihil for a moment. Switching her skill to that would help out a lot as well as something else, though what I'm not sure (I don't want everything to be just stat-buffs if possible).

^ Rolf also has no experience at fighting. All he has ever done is shoot at targets on his spare time. Being at LV1 makes sense for him.

@ Snowy - Rolf is useful in drafts because there are limits to how much Bexp you can give units so Rolf gets 100Exp every map + combat. Once he gets close to promotion hes pretty tough with a killer bow. And If you dont have a flyer or Mordicai Rolf is good for 17-2 and 17-4 because every foot unit in the game can shove him, and you need to get through the swamps on those maps.
He is solid when you train him and drafts allow you to do that. In other LTC playstyles there is just no incentive to use him.

Not going to argue that. I certainly WANT Rolf to be good. However even before the tier-lists even cared about LTC he was considered one of the worst units to use. I just want to be sure we're making about as right suggestions as possible.

Even if Rolf joined as a LV1 Sniper he would still be low tier.

Not having 1 range combat is a big problem. There is absolutely no way to make an archer good unless you give them a 2nd weapon type or give bows 1-2 range.

You just have to accept that some units are worse than others.

Or increase bow effectiveness on fliers (and make fliers hard to kill without it), or make enemies hard enough to kill/damaging enough that accurate chip is useful, or change enemy AI to favor killing over avoiding counters.

Other FE games have done it, but I agree that PoR's set up as is does make archers pretty useless.

I do too, though, to be fair, if the game ended on chapter 8 Shinon would probably be very high on the tier list. Also, I accept that, no matter how hard we try to rebalance stuff, some characters just won't be balanced. That's okay. We don't want a game full of dopplegangers. We're just trying to take the 10's and 1's and make them closer to 6's and 4's... if that makes sense.

Edit: Maybe let archers wield knives, assuming they function like I suggested. Also, I didn't think of this at the time, but what I suggested would result in knives being good against low defense, high RES targets with poor evade. I.E. mages and priests. The people you'd have a sage use a knife against if you ever gave them a knife in the first place.

Edited by Snowy_One

It would have to be a X3 bonus, and, honestly, I'd rather use the hit to MT formula since that both helps Sothe and Volke in combat and if Rolf gets it he can defend himself in 1-range combat due to his accuracy.

Make it so that you can change equipped weapons (I always thought this would help archers) after attacking/moving/etc. and give archers knives. Rebalance knives so that they aren't useless (but don't make them overpowered). Mages should get knives and staves always, since they are pretty useless with a knife. I would argue against this if staves could counter attack like in RD and attack like Gandalf. Also 1-2 knives.

If re-equipping is too broken than you could add a skill that allows this (give it to Rolf) and add another skill scroll.

Stiletto being effective against armors is useless, especially for mages because they already attack res which is always lower than def. Thieves and Volke should be able to use swords as well.

I don't think Rolf needs a buff exactly, because honestly he ends up pretty good. He has uber def too.

-Remove BK´s Renewal and lower his def a bit, so that the battle isn´t luck based anymore.

i'm decently sure that a max str ike can exactly kill the BK in the time allotted with no skill procs