- Ice Beam

- Soft-Boiled

rate/tips?

Edited by Anna of Arendelle

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it an ingame team (every item just once?)? I'd use LO or Expert Belt instead of Never-Melt Ice on Greninja, you got only one ice attack to boost it with the item (in addition, I prefer Extrasensory instead of a HP).

I'd use Calm mind or Cosmic Power instead of Ice Beam on Clefable, Rock Blast on Cloyster.

Your Galvantula build is quite unusual, no idea about it (it's interesting though).

some of the natures are iffy- lax?

using unaware over magic guard on clefable is awful if you're doing a life orb set. one of the biggest reasons LO clefable is so cool is because magic guard negates that recoil- not to mention holy fuck is magic guard a rad ability

hidden power having its bp reduced to 60 means that unless you're doing 4x super effective damage you almost always are better off with either your stab or a neutral/2x se move.

for example:

+2 0 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 134-158 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

as opposed to

+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 200-240 (56.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you'd be better off using razor shell for another stab or even rock blast for more coverage on cloyster. greninja has a fuck ton of coverage moves so anything from grass knot to extrasensory will work on that guy. volcarona can run roost, sub, or some coverage move.
consider low sweep over mach punch and bullet seed over seed bomb on breloom, but that's preference
in general, never melt ice, fist plate, etc are bad because they give way too low of a boost to way too few moves. consider items like expert belt or wise glasses if you're not capable of getting more leftovers, LO's, etc
sticky web is definitely a good idea on galvantula- toxic is your only status so you won't want to drop that, thunder is the better stab between that and bug buzz, so it's basically down to you to drop bug buzz or protect. again, preference.
Edited by bonesaw

Is it an ingame team (every item just once?)? I'd use LO or Expert Belt instead of Never-Melt Ice on Greninja, you got only one ice attack to boost it with the item (in addition, I prefer Extrasensory instead of a HP).

I'd use Calm mind or Cosmic Power instead of Ice Beam on Clefable, Rock Blast on Cloyster.

Your Galvantula build is quite unusual, no idea about it (it's interesting though).

Actually, that is a great idea. I think I'll stick an Expert Belt on Greninja rather than a Life Orb since HP drain. I was under the impression that Rock Blast was illegal for Cloyster, turns out it isn't. I stuck Calm mind on Clefable since it raises Sp Atk and Def.

Breloom should run Bullet Seed. Is it an Egg move? If it is, then, okay

Galvantula is okay.... Gliscor would suck tho

I think it can run Bullet Seed. Great suggestion, it should get boosted with Technician. I stuck a Fist Plate on Breloom so that coupled with Technician, Mach Punch can quickly rid the field of foe Greninjas

Sticky Web is a necessity if you're running Galvantula. It's basically its only niche; it's outclassed by others (Jolteon, Mega Manectric) as an Electric special attacker.

I was thinking about benching Galvantula because of its crap def. There are hard hitters that are faster than Galvantula, and Focus Sash is the only thing that keeps it on the field. Even then, its usually hit the next turn since its slower than the enemy. The Thunder + Compound eyes is the only reason why I kept it on my team, but I might bench it for Manectric.

some of the natures are iffy- lax?

using unaware over magic guard on clefable is awful if you're doing a life orb set. one of the biggest reasons LO clefable is so cool is because magic guard negates that recoil- not to mention holy fuck is magic guard a rad ability

hidden power having its bp reduced to 60 means that unless you're doing 4x super effective damage you almost always are better off with either your stab or a neutral/2x se move.

for example:

+2 0 SpA Cloyster Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 134-158 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

as opposed to

+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 200-240 (56.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you'd be better off using razor shell for another stab or even rock blast for more coverage on cloyster. greninja has a fuck ton of coverage moves so anything from grass knot to extrasensory will work on that guy. volcarona can run roost, sub, or some coverage move.
consider low sweep over mach punch and bullet seed over seed bomb on breloom, but that's preference
in general, never melt ice, fist plate, etc are bad because they give way too low of a boost to way too few moves. consider items like expert belt or wise glasses if you're not capable of getting more leftovers, LO's, etc
sticky web is definitely a good idea on galvantula- toxic is your only status so you won't want to drop that, thunder is the better stab between that and bug buzz, so it's basically down to you to drop bug buzz or protect. again, preference.
Lol, I see what you mean. I changed Cloyster's nature to Adamant, I'll take a look at the rest in a few.
I was acually unaware (lol) that I didnt have Magic Guard as the ability. I went into battle last night and noticed it, so I changed it. I get what you mean.
I'm running both Rock Blast and Icycle Spears on Cloyster. Got rid of hidden power fighting
Bullet seed get. I'm keeping Mach punch to get rid of Greninja's. I changed Fistplate to Expt Belt. Not sure if my calculations are right, but Mach Punch has Base Power 40*1.5(Technician) = 60*1.2 = 72 Base power. It's even better since Mach Punch is a priority move.
Changed the items.
Sticky web added, protect dropped. Bug Buzz is good against Dark and Psychic types which is great. I'll keep that.
Updated team (Havent looked at natures yet)

Breloom @ Expert Belt
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Substitute
Ms Ramos (Volcarona) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Water]
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Mild Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Surf
Olaf (Cloyster) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Thank you all for your help by the way.

I was thinking about benching Galvantula because of its crap def. There are hard hitters that are faster than Galvantula, and Focus Sash is the only thing that keeps it on the field. Even then, its usually hit the next turn since its slower than the enemy. The Thunder + Compound eyes is the only reason why I kept it on my team, but I might bench it for Manectric.

Mega Manectric is great, give him a chance (unless you want to have Sticky Web of course).

If you want to annoy people, King's Rock is great for Cloyster aswell.

... Maybe I'm late, but I never noticed they had found out the stats of Mega-Lati@s!

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/380.shtml

Pretty interesting, though no boost in Speed is quite sad.

go Dragon Dance mega Latios!

A video that revealed the two megas and their stats came out yesterday and it was posted in the Pokemon X/Y General Thread. The overall opinion there was that DD M-Latios could be something, but that Mega Latias looked pretty bad.

A video that revealed the two megas and their stats came out yesterday and it was posted in the Pokemon X/Y General Thread. The overall opinion there was that DD M-Latios could be something, but that Mega Latias looked pretty bad.

Actually, I believe it's the opposite. Regular Latios w/ Life Orb completely outclasses Mega Latios... It has a unique speed tier for a DD-er, but really, Salamence can do that and has Moxie to boot.

I think Mega Latios is ugly redundant. Sort like Megazam.

Latias is better, though, since it can forgo Leftovers recovery for increased overall bulk. It still has recovery in the forms of Roost and Recover, too.

Although, even then, I'm wary of using her since she takes up the Mega slot...

Actually, I believe it's the opposite. Regular Latios w/ Life Orb completely outclasses Mega Latios... It has a unique speed tier for a DD-er, but really, Salamence can do that and has Moxie to boot.

I think Mega Latios is ugly redundant. Sort like Megazam.

Latias is better, though, since it can forgo Leftovers recovery for increased overall bulk. It still has recovery in the forms of Roost and Recover, too.

Although, even then, I'm wary of using her since she takes up the Mega slot...

I was just reporting what I felt was the overall opinion in thread.

I personally think both of them are some of the worst megas. They stat boosts seem to be spread to thinly across too many stats to make a difference and the ability is the same and levitate on something that isn't weak to ground is pretty mediocre when you consider Speed Boost on Mega Blaziken or Huge Power on Mega Mawile.

(I would have much preferred the earlier rumors of Adaptibility Latios with boost to SpA/Spe and Dragon/Fairy Latias with Multiscale)

Mega Latias is like 900000 Times better than Mega Latios could ever hope to be thanks to the context of the metagame we are in, namely, Latios being checkmated by the EXACT SAME THING as :LO Latios and getting no speed buff, while Latias gets Knock Dodging, and extra Defense buff. While Mega Latios could compete favorably with Mega Alakazam for "worst Mega", Mega Latias sound very promising if only because it gives the metagame an answer to Megazard Y aside from pokemon with limited team utility like Goodra

The only reason I don't worship it at the moment is because the reason its so good in the first place is obvious(Hey, Its Latias with better stats!)

Also DD Mega Latios is a sarcastic joke. However, a set running special attack to say GTFO on Gliscor and 2 attack COULD be something. The problem is, we are using a Mega Slot when we already have 3 different styled Dragon Dancer already, namely Dragonite with its bag of tricks and consistency, Charizard who curbstomp Latios in pure power, and Gyarados. Still being able to beat Cat and Scor is a solid niche to have for a DD sweeper

Edited by JSND

• 4 weeks later...

All right, so I could use some advice with how to improve my team. This is the first time I've ever attempted to play pseudo-competitively. Mostly I'm battling amongst friends, but I'm fighting online random battles a fair amount too. To make team-building more difficult, my lovely friends have decided they prefer a no-legendaries system rather than following any sort of Smogon tiering. So that means I'm up against Mega Gengar, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Blaziken, and more. I'm trying to keep my team legal under both Smogon's OU tier and my friends' no-legendaries policy. Here's what I have currently:

Tyranitar

Sand Stream / Leftovers

EV's: HP, SpD

Stone Edge

Crunch

Pursuit

Stealth Rock

Greninja

Protean / Life Orb

EV's: SpA, Spd

Surf

Dark Pulse

Ice Beam

U Turn

Goodra

Sap Sipper / Assault Vest

EV's: HP, SpA, 8 Spd

Draco Meter

Earthquake

Thunderbolt

Fire Blast

Gallade

Steadfast / Life Orb

EV's: Atk, Spd

Close Combat

Psycho Cut

Stone Edge

Swords Dance

Forretress

Sturdy / Iron Ball

EV's: HP, Def (0 Spd IV)

Rapid Spin

Spikes

Volt Switch

Gyro Ball

Charizard

Blaze / Charizardite Y

EV's: SpA, Spd

Fire Blast

Air Slash

Solar Beam

Dragon Pulse

I've also been considering alternate fighters. Mainly a Swords Dance Lucario and Anti-Lead Spinner Starmie to replace Gallade and Forretress. I used a Swords Dance Aegislash at one point, but I swapped it out for Forretress, since my Megazard was tired of eating stealth rock.

Edited by Ragnell

If you want an anti lead, I'd use sashed Aerodactyl. It's still good (this was apparently really good in D/P/Pl). It gets Taunt and Stealth Rock, so you can almost always get rocks up with Aerodactyl's blazing speed stat. Infernape can work well too. Forretress should also be holding Leftovers or Rocky Helmet instead of Iron Ball. Also expert belt greninja is better imo. I'd also have hydro pump on greninja but that's just my preference. And maybe extrasensory or grass knot over u turn so you don't have to run a - defense nature.

Also saying what role you specifically want your pokemon to be doing helps with constructing teams. And natures.

I tested your team out on showdown and found this Gallade build highly effective:

Adamant 252 Atk 252 Spe

Life Orb

Swords Dance

Close Combat

Shadow Sneak

Ice Punch

Swords Dance and Close Combat are standard. Shadow Sneak is good priority, notably hits Gengar and Alakazam. Ice punch is so Landurus doesn't ruin your day.

I also got creative with Charizard:

Mild (+Spe, -Def) 4 Atk 252 SpA 252 Spe

Charizardite Y

Flame Charge

Flamethrower

Solarbeam

Air Slash

Revenge kill something with Flame Charge or take a hit if you need to for the speed. You could also do modest so you don't lose bulk.

Going with what Miikaya said, pursuit on Tyranitar doesn't do anything since the only ghosts or psychics staying in are the ones that can deal with Tyranitar (gengar with focus blast will nearly OHKO positive nature Tyranitar with max hp and special defense).

Edited by Comet

A lot of these teamslots are filled with Pokemon that are just outclassed by other Pokemon: Forretress and Gallade don't do much in a metagame filled with Aegislash; Goodra offers very little offensive pressure and is worse than Chansey at walling stuff. I don't really see the purpose of abiding by both your friends' rules and Smogon's rules simultaneously beyond the ability to use the same team in both friend matches and online matches.

You should decide on a general plan around which to build your team (for example, overwhelming your opponent with physical attackers, or stalling your opponent with good defensive Pokemon, residual damage, and a modest amount of offensive pressure). I don't see much synergy in what you have; you use Pursuit Tyranitar on a team that doesn't struggle much with Gengar, for example. I think Mega Charizard-Y is an okay starting point, but now you should ask yourself what partners will provide the offense to break through defensive teams, and what partners would enable the team to withstand offensive assaults.

If you want an anti lead, I'd use sashed Aerodactyl. It's still good (this was apparently really good in D/P/Pl). It gets Taunt and Stealth Rock, so you can almost always get rocks up with Aerodactyl's blazing speed stat. Infernape can work well too. Forretress should also be holding Leftovers or Rocky Helmet instead of Iron Ball. Also expert belt greninja is better imo. I'd also have hydro pump on greninja but that's just my preference. And maybe extrasensory or grass knot over u turn so you don't have to run a - defense nature.

Also saying what role you specifically want your pokemon to be doing helps with constructing teams. And natures.

I tested your team out on showdown and found this Gallade build highly effective:

Adamant 252 Atk 252 Spe

Life Orb

Swords Dance

Close Combat

Shadow Sneak

Ice Punch

Swords Dance and Close Combat are standard. Shadow Sneak is good priority, notably hits Gengar and Alakazam. Ice punch is so Landurus doesn't ruin your day.

I also got creative with Charizard:

Mild (+Spe, -Def) 4 Atk 252 SpA 252 Spe

Charizardite Y

Flame Charge

Flamethrower

Solarbeam

Air Slash

Revenge kill something with Flame Charge or take a hit if you need to for the speed. You could also do modest so you don't lose bulk.

Going with what Miikaya said, pursuit on Tyranitar doesn't do anything since the only ghosts or psychics staying in are the ones that can deal with Tyranitar (gengar with focus blast will nearly OHKO positive nature Tyranitar with max hp and special defense).

I tried out Aerodactyl on Showdown. He's pretty awesome. I definitely will put him at the top of the list for my revamped team. Expert Belt is a great idea too. Honestly didn't know it existed. And after trying some more battles, U Turn on Greninja seems pretty useless, so I'm running Extrasensory now. I would definitely run Ice Punch on Gallade, but I don't have the capacity to breed, train, and transfer from B2/W2. So Stone Edge was my second choice for his last move. Shadow Sneak seems like a good move to use, especially now that I have Greninja with a psychic move.

A lot of these teamslots are filled with Pokemon that are just outclassed by other Pokemon: Forretress and Gallade don't do much in a metagame filled with Aegislash; Goodra offers very little offensive pressure and is worse than Chansey at walling stuff. I don't really see the purpose of abiding by both your friends' rules and Smogon's rules simultaneously beyond the ability to use the same team in both friend matches and online matches.

You should decide on a general plan around which to build your team (for example, overwhelming your opponent with physical attackers, or stalling your opponent with good defensive Pokemon, residual damage, and a modest amount of offensive pressure). I don't see much synergy in what you have; you use Pursuit Tyranitar on a team that doesn't struggle much with Gengar, for example. I think Mega Charizard-Y is an okay starting point, but now you should ask yourself what partners will provide the offense to break through defensive teams, and what partners would enable the team to withstand offensive assaults.

I'm following both rules because I plan to actually breed these Pokemon, and frankly I don't have the time to breed two separate perfect teams. Also, since I'm actually trying to legitimately get these Pokemon, getting even near-perfect IV legendaries would be nigh impossible for me anyway (without cheating). For showdown play I'm fine with experimenting with legendaries, since it takes all of 10 seconds to build them, but I intend to actually get my team in Y version.

And yeah, one of my biggest issues with my team was that I don't really have an overall plan when designing it, except general coverage in type and stats. I suppose Excadrill is an obvious choice for a party member to back up Megazard Y, since he spins and covers some the Pokemon Charizard can't hit. Lucario would be another obvious choice for dealing with walls Charizard can't break, but I'm slightly worried I'd be stacking my team with overlapping weaknesses. Do you have any recommendations for dealing with Charizard's mediocre speed? Sticky Web's an option, but the only Pokemon I can see realistically using it is Galvantula, who's pretty eh otherwise. Tailwind or Flame Charge could work, but Flame Charge is pretty weak so either could reduce longevity significantly. I looked at a Baton Pass speed-boost strategy, but after some testing it seems like a bit of a difficult strategy to pull off successfully (an opponent using priority moves on the switch after substitute health damge or dragon dancing during the speed boosts are pretty scary counters), and it also essentially costs a slot on my team. Lucario would appreciate sticky web or speed-boost too, though. Thoughts?

Here's my cartridge team. Not the best, and laughably unoriginal, but it does the job.

252 Sp Atk/Spd Timid Volcarona: Flame Body, and with Life Orb; Fire Blast, Bug Buzz, Psychic (Hurricane is better, but way too much trouble for me), Quiver Dance

194 SpD/64Atk 252 HP Adamant Mega Scizor: Bullet Punch, Roost, Defog, U-turn

252 Atk/Spd Adamant (Jolly's better, but I cannot be arsed to make another Garchomp) Garchomp with Choice Scarf: Fire Fang, Earthquake, Outrage, Stone Edge

194 SpD/64 Def/252 Hp Impish Ferrothorn with Leftovers; Stealth Rock, Spikes, Thunder Wave, Power Whip

252 HP/Atk Choice Banded Adamant Azumarill with Waterfall, Play Rough, Aqua Jet, Superpower

232 HP/56 Sp Atk/220 Spd Rotom Wash, with Leftovers; Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Will-o-wisp, Shadow Ball (Fuck Hidden Power, and no Pain Split, because B/w2 move tutor.

These are blatant copy posts of many Smogon sets, I'll admit, but...It gets the job done.

The idea was to make a team that never lets up; Volcarona is a bit inconsistent, but strong; It'll either sweep a good number of enemies, or takes down a single Pokemon with it. Garchomp Revenge kills, Azumarill breaks walls. Rotom is there to check a lot of solid Physical threats, like Mega Mawile, Tyranitar, and Dragonite, while hitting hard on its own. Ferrothorn is kind of there because Stealth Rock. Defog M-Scizor is there to remove entry hazards, while maintaining an offensive presence. I tried making it so that each member covers their glaring weaknesses, though I didn't do well at covering them all

Edited by Mister Sunshine Sprinkles

Does Tyranitar/Gliscor work as a defensive core?

What do you think about the following Tyranitar set?

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest

Ability: Sand Stream
EV's 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk OR 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Nature: Careful OR Adamant
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Dragon Tail

Jiac (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Iron Barbs

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spd

Relaxed Nature

- Spikes

- Leech Seed

- Power Whip

- Thunder Wave

Orph (Jellicent) (M) @ Choice Specs

Ability: Cursed Body

EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spd

Modest Nature

- Scald

- Water Spout

- Giga Drain

- Shadow Ball

Crimson (Aegislash) (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Brave Nature

- Shadow Sneak

- Iron Head

- King's Shield

- Swords Dance

Tuv (Azumarill) (M) @ Splash Plate

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 Spd

Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet

- Play Rough

- Aqua Tail

- Superpower

Shadow Frost (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk

Bold Nature

- Volt Switch

- Hydro Pump

- Will-O-Wisp

- Thunderbolt

Blyvern (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X

Ability: Tough Claws

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Adamant Nature

- Roost

- Flare Blitz

- Dragon Claw

- Earthquake

My current and first ever OU team. I really want help on this.

there's no reason to use relaxed on ferro if you're not going to use gyro ball. you should also use jolly on charizard to at least speed tie with other base 100s imo.

Edited by Comet

Don't forget DD on Charizard, after all that's X's greatest strength.

On the topic of the rest of the team:

I'd take SR instead of Spikes on Ferrothorn, but that's just me.

Jellicent is a tank, not a sweeper - it's SpA and Speed suck.

Your Aegislash got only SS and Ironhead as attacks - if you want to run SD/King's Shield (one of the weaker builds imo), you should go for Sacred Sword instead of Ironhead.

Don't you use that Berry or Choiceband on Azumarill? Splash Plate seems weird >_>

Voltswitch/Thunderbolt seems to be overkill on Rotom, I'd go for something else (Trick and Choice Scarf/Specs instead of TBolt for example).