The competitive teams topic.

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something along the lines of explosion, at least for 3 v 3 Ranked

The problem is the recipe is not complete so to speak. I need something with Normal Type, Adaptability, and then Explosion. There is definitely no pokemon like that. Pory-Z comes close without the Explosion part

I've only got one so far, and am considering another (depending on how Eevee's egg moves pan out)

Gardevoir (Modest, gotta calculate IVs, standard special sweeper EV set, item TBA)

Psychic

Moonblast

Thunderbolt

Energy Ball

Thunderbolt is to make sure that most Steels don't wall him. Energy Ball covers what Thunderbolt won't hit (Ground).

I get the feeling that this is going to end up being a pretty common set, though after consideration, Energy Ball doesn't seem completely necessary. Psychic and Moonblast will still hit anything 1x (plus STAB) that isn't Steel/Ground, of which there are only two members any way. (Granted, Excadrill probably is enough to warrant keeping the move...) I'll probably still end up running it this way though, if I use Gardevoir.

------------------------------

I'm relatively new-ish to building more focused teams outside of simply having a diverse line-up. I probably won't be doing any ranking matches or anything with the team, just the various Battle facilities in the game. That being said, I'd still like to up my game a bit, have a well-rounded setup, and still mix in some of the Pokemon that I like, too.

Right now, I've got Scizor (Swords Dance set) and Houndoom (Mixed/Special, Moves TBD*) that I know I want to use. I've got a handful of ideas for possibilities for the remaining slots, but I don't know which options provide the best synergy.

(*I've boiled the possibilties (currently on Gen IV) down to Thunder Fang, Crunch, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower/Overheat/Fire Blast, Sludge Bomb, Will-O-Wisp, and Nasty Plot, and I do want to run Houndoom as Mixed - it's got a perfect or near-perfect (30 or 31) Atk IV, a perfect Special Attack IV, and it's Hasty - but I just don't know which moves to pick outside of having one of the Fire-type moves. Should I take Crunch / Fire Blast / Sludge Bomb / Thunder Fang? Thunder Fang / Dark Pulse / Overheat / Nasty Plot? Crunch / Fire Blast / Sludge Bomb / Nasty Plot? I don't really know enough as to which would be the best - obviously, Houndoom's still got a better Special Attack stat so Dark Pulse would be preferred over Crunch, but Crunch has a higher BP than TFang, 100% Accuracy, and STAB, and, like I said, I do want to run it Mixed...)

Here're the other suggested 'Mons I've been thinking of to complement the above two. The list is somewhat long, mainly because I don't know what combination would actually work best - any suggestions you all could pass on would be appreciated:

Aerodactyl

Cloyster

Crobat

Dragalge

Dragonite

Dusknoir

Espeon

Gardevoir

Gengar

Gliscor

Jellicent

Jolteon

Swampert

Tentacruel

Built a team around Reflect/Calm Mind/Shadow Ball/Moonblast Sylveon and it has won be several games on Showdown. Also used a hazard based core with Stealth RockHeatran/Sticky Web Galvantula/Spikes Greninja and the set up works really well. The most common Defog user is Scizor right now (Defog Scizor usually goes SD/Defog/Bullet Punch/Coverage with Life Orb/Leftovers from my experience) which Heatran checks admirably.

This is for Showdown. I'd love to build a similar team on cartridge but I really can't find a decent way to mimic Heatran's role as a Stealth Rock'n, Scizor counter. Anyone have any ideas?

Team is: Heatran/Galvantula/Greninja/Sylveon/Aegislash/Garchomp

Built a team around Reflect/Calm Mind/Shadow Ball/Moonblast Sylveon and it has won be several games on Showdown. Also used a hazard based core with Stealth RockHeatran/Sticky Web Galvantula/Spikes Greninja and the set up works really well. The most common Defog user is Scizor right now (Defog Scizor usually goes SD/Defog/Bullet Punch/Coverage with Life Orb/Leftovers from my experience) which Heatran checks admirably.

This is for Showdown. I'd love to build a similar team on cartridge but I really can't find a decent way to mimic Heatran's role as a Stealth Rock'n, Scizor counter. Anyone have any ideas?

Team is: Heatran/Galvantula/Greninja/Sylveon/Aegislash/Garchomp

I think Gliscor is the best option (you can find Gligars w/ dw ability in route 19 hordes, I'd use Earthquake, U-turn, Stealth Rock and Taunt, with enough speed to outspeed adamant ddnite), followed by Hippowdon and Skarmory (the latter doesn't really fit your team, though). You can also use Garchomp with Stealth Rock, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Outrage/Dragon Claw and a bulky evs spread. It should be able to take non-choice banded U-Turn or Bullet Punch without difficult, slowly damaging Scizor with Rough Skin and spikes + sr damage.

(Why do you need your stealth rocker to counter Scizor anyway? Aegislash alone completely stops Scizor, I think)

edit: never mind, I just realized that Gliscor, Garchomp and Hippowdon can't get Stealth Rock without the move tutor, sadly. <_<

Edited by Richard

Unlike the last page I have a much much simpler question to ask. I recently caught a calm natured sliggo with Gooey ability. I've been interested in using a Goodra for my rain team so this is excellent news.

I want my Goodra to be both bulky and pack a punch. Where do you guys think I should spread the effort values? Goodra isn't your typical dragon pokemon so I could some advice.

Well, it depends on how you want to skew things. Personally, for a Gooey Goodra, I would go Bold(+def/-Atk, iirc. If this is wrong, whatever nature gives this) with maxed HP and Def, 4 EVs in Sp.Def or Sp.Atk. This allows it to better tank contact moves for Gooey, and with maxed HP and it's natural Sp.Def, it should make for a nice mixed wall.(As a note, Calm works for this too, so no need to breed it if you don't want to. It just gives it more Sp.Def rather than Phys)

Of course, Rain!Goodra wants Hydration so that it can abuse Hydration-Rest, but I wouldn't use Rest on non-Hydration sets. With 110 base Sp.Atk, you hit decently hard even uninvested, and Goodra learns a host of moves, notable specially based ones including:

Muddy Water(sort of), Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Sludge Wave, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and Draco Meteor.

Of course, if you go with -Speed rather than -Atk, Goodra has a lot of Physical options too. Outrage, Body Slam, Aqua Tail, Power Whip, Earthquake, and Rock Slide are all pretty good physical moves it learns.

It also has a bit of a support movepool to work with. Dragon Tail is standard phazing, Infestation is kind of gimmicky but with trapping moves being buffed this gen it's an option. Substitute seems cool to troll about with Gooey, but Goodra is a bit too slow to pull this off very well. Confide is a new move that everything gets that might see some interesting use next to infestation to shut down special attackers(if you do this, run Sp.Def instead of Def). Swagger is an interesting as always moveslot option, and Toxic pairs great with Infestation to really grind an opponent down.

We don't know it's egg moves yet, but if it gets any form of recover, that'll be a staple, and offensive sets might be viable if it gets a setup move like dragon dance.

Eclipse is correct. I want to give Goodra the assault vest for extra overkill. Ether, I'll take your advice on the first paragraph by pumping all EVs into defense and hp. I think Gooey sounds great in conjunction with sticky web. Does Galvantula apparently learn this move by level up or breeding? I can't find info on it and this would speed up the planning process.

Also for excessive overkill I have an Adamant Mega-Blastoise that knows aqua jet. It could seriously deadly when combined with rain, powerup punch and earthquake. Plus when most random players online see a Blastoise they will most likely assume an extra gun=special attacker.

I run a "this is no Tyranitar boy" Goodra

252 Sp.A/252 Sp.D/whatever

Assault Vest/Gooey

Infestation

Draco Meteor

Fire Blast

Thunderbolt

If its a physical, this thing help you to revenge it

If its special, it can Meteor them to oblivion

If you are sceptical, you can spam Meteor or Infestation and then switch.

....If its Jirachi, curse your life, just saiyan

When you lose to Xerneas, you went mad in revelation of the horror that is +2/+2/+2 Deer spamming outrage with no downside coming from a special side

Losing to Jirachi is like being defeated by Quin in rallying. It make you question the meaning of your worthless life as it Iron Head 6-0 your entire team to death for no apparent reason. Its like you don't actually deserve to lose especially when it flinch heatran 16 times in a row

where do I see these standings

Well, you make an account on 3ds.pokemon-gl.com and start doing Rating Battles.

You start at 1500 points. The score, so far as I noticed, is updated every afternoon (EST). My score hasn't been updated yet, but it jumped from a bit above 1600 to a bit above 1700, which puts me pretty high up.

What's your team?

Tyranitar with Smooth Rock (or whatever extends Sandstorm)

Sand Stream

"Relatively Superior"

252HP/~152SpDef/106Def

Adamant

Ferrothorn with Leftovers

Anticipation (would've preferred Iron Barbs, but didn't find out 'til after I was done breeding for IVs and EV training.)

"Relatively Superior"

252HP/252SpDef/6Def

Sassy

Metagross with Rocky Helmet (will replace with Assault Vest)

Light Metal (again, would've preferred Clear Body, but didn't find out 'til later... Yeah, I'm not that attentive.)

"Relatively Superior"

252HP/160SpDef/rest in Def

Adamant

Klefki with Light Clay

Prankster

"Relatively Superior"

252HP/252Def/252SpDef

Bold

Alakazam with Life Orb

Magic Guard

"Relatively Superior"

252SpAtk/252Spd/6HP

Timid

Garchomp with Garchompite (or Yache Berry, depending)

Sand Veil (was debating between this and Rough Skin, but went with Sand Veil because I didn't feel like going to the pain of getting a DW Gible)

"Outstanding"

252Atk/252Spd/6HP

Jolly

You know who's broken?

Klefki

Lets see what this thing can do, oh wait set up Dual Screen and Spikes for free, where have I heard that before?

Deoxys

Don't take my word for it, but I predicted people to moan in the future on how "OMFG KLEFKI SO BROKEN" and then it get banned

Edited by Choujin Sentai Chesnaught

Thanks for letting me battle you two times in a row Alfred. I hope I was a decent challenge despite spoiling some of strategy details. A lot of the moves I mentioned regarding the deceptive Blastoise in the previous page are better suited for my the Dragonite I had in my party at the time. Since the Dragonite I have knows a lot of the same moves I had in mind as my adamant Blastoise I think it's better suited for wrecking destruction(I've dumped everything into speed and attack). What do you think is the most efficient strategy for a blastoise that relies mainly on stall tactics/revenge kill. I want to keep rock tomb and aqua jet as my physical but I'm not sure about the other two.

Also I want to add ferrothorn to the rain team. It gets a anti-fire buffer in the rain, can install stealth rock, can learn thunder wave ,iron barbs seems like a great Brave Bird counter plus it can, is a popular choice for leftovers and is pretty strong. I'd like have a moveset of thunderwave/stealth rock and one stab move. I want one with a lot of special defense since I'm in the rain, hp for leftovers benefits and attack. What's the best EV distribution for this guy, his base stats are all over the place?

Thanks for letting me battle you two times in a row Alfred. I hope I was a decent challenge despite spoiling some of strategy details. A lot of the moves I mentioned regarding the deceptive Blastoise in the previous page are better suited for my the Dragonite I had in my party at the time. Since the Dragonite I have knows a lot of the same moves I had in mind as my adamant Blastoise I think it's better suited for wrecking destruction(I've dumped everything into speed and attack). What do you think is the most efficient strategy for a blastoise that relies mainly on stall tactics/revenge kill. I want to keep rock tomb and aqua jet as my physical but I'm not sure about the other two.

Also I want to add ferrothorn to the rain team. It gets a anti-fire buffer in the rain, can install stealth rock, can learn thunder wave ,iron barbs seems like a great Brave Bird counter plus it can, is a popular choice for leftovers and is pretty strong. I'd like have a moveset of thunderwave/stealth rock and one stab move. I want one with a lot of special defense since I'm in the rain, hp for leftovers benefits and attack. What's the best EV distribution for this guy, his base stats are all over the place?

You're welcome Greg. It was fun indeed!

I think that your Blastoise set was original, but it just doesn't work... Blastoise's attack isn't that good and you use moves with a very low battle power (I mean, the strongest move it has is STAB Aqua Jet with 60... really not *that* good). Blastoise isn't suited as a revenge killer, but it works off as a tank. It can learn Counter, Mirror Shot (was it called like that? yeah, the spatk equivalent for Counter), Rapid Spin, Roar, Scald... I'd recommend using it as a tank with Rain Dish, without its mega and maybe with leftovers if you really care about it. Also if you set stealth rock and spikes, Roar / Dragon Tail can be very handy. I mean, you could have just Roared me when I used Shell Smash, for example.

Dragonite is good but... why the heck aren't you using Multiscale as its ability? It's so damn good.

Also for a rain team you need more synergy. You also put Hail in there, it's a little messy. Why is Klefki the only one who can set the rain, moreover? I'd suggest you get a Drizzle Politoed. And maybe an electric pokémon, like Helioptile who also has Dry Skin. Or a Toxicroak with Dry Skin. Or a Goodra with Hydratation + Rest. As you can see, there are plenty of cool pokémon who could benefit from rain.

If you want a Ferrothorn, go with Spikes/Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Gyro Ball (supereffective vs. Fairies, it isn't bad) and Protect or ThunderWave.

It can somehow be annoying with a set like that. ;)