Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 1: Three Days

SB.

"Who knows? I might have made mistakes anyway...in fact I'm sure I would have... it might not have ended up quite as it is now, but there would definitely still be some discolouration." Celestia replied with a giggle.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promote Synergy

"Something like that..." Sheikah sighed. "We narrowly managed to escape Tyrius earlier, probably because he was looking into the monsters in our area, and that was only two days ago. I'd really hoped he was just overseeing the whole thing and not actively participating. So it definitely is all-out war, otherwise I'm sure he'd try and find another way out. That's what they say about him, anyway."

Grace

"Interesting... it was rather intriguing to see someone else make use of dance on the battlefield. Though, your movements seemed to have a more naturally refreshing vibe to them... I often mix mine with chants and spells to increase effectiveness slightly," Mina explained. "To be honest, I do not dance as much as I would like to these days. I have been delving further and further into the mysteries of magic and neglecting my other hobbies recently... though sometimes I perform at a theatre in Bonvale. It is a rather popular venue, even in difficult times. Perhaps because people find joy in the grace of song and dance and other shows. Lady Deriyenn sponsors the theatre and other places like it... she very much enjoys the arts. Perhaps you would like to visit it. I am sure they would love to have so talented a visitor perform."

Taima frowned. "He was the big armored general, right? Wouldn't want to go up against him myself, that's for sure. Hopefully we'll be assigned somewhere he isn't..." She shook her head. "I mean, I'm not one to shy from a fight and all, but I prefer to go into fights I have a chance to win, you know?"

"I know I had some pretty nasty callouses while I learned the basics of shooting," Peter mused. "But I never would've guessed that something like eye color would be affected just by practicing magic!"

"Well, just light magic. Other types effect different things... I think anima is more painful, and effects your hearing... as for dark, hmm...?" Celestia thought about it... she knew very little about dark magic, actually. Though, luckily enough, a friendly dark magic user appeared to be quite close by practicing.

"Hey, Melanie! I've got a question... ah, sorry for interrupting... but what are the repercussions of dark magic, when you use a spell you can't handle?"

Melanie jumped slightly, so intent on her practice. The resulting jump sent the ball of dark energy spiraling straight up into the air. Hah... So much for ze practice... Well, it wasn't all bad. Celestia was the one bugging her, and it looked like Peter was with her! What fun~ Though, the subject matter might not be... "Oh, ehm... Zat. Well..." Mel held a surprisingly serious look. "Ma parents, zey explained eet to me when zey started teaching me. Eet ees très grave..." And now, solemn... "I only knew, vaguement, of what ze light and anima magiques would do to someone eef zey tried zem. Dark magique, ben... Eet ees not as forgiving, as something physical."

She sighed, and stood up, standing near them. "Eef someone inexpérimenté tries to use eet, zey could lose zere mind. Quite literally. Eet will affect your mind, 'ow you sink. Zen, your memory. You will start to forget sings... People... Places. Eef you continuer, zen, you will lose yourself entirely. Eet ees... Ben, eet ees 'orrifying. I am glad zat ma parents taught me. I do not sink I would 'ave gotten away like you did, Celestia, eef I 'ad tried to teach myself dark." She laughed nervously. But she'd answered in earnest. Whether or not that was what they wanted to hear, well...

"Your mind? That sounds awful!" Peter exclaimed. He stroked his chin, his mind wandering back to the battle they'd just finished. "That weird guy we fought was definitely using some sort of dark magic. Do you think he lost his mind to it?"

"That's pretty brutal... but, dark magic seems to be able to do a lot more than other types... I suppose that versatility might explain why the drawbacks are so severe." Celestia pondered... the conclusion was that she was glad it was a light tome she had happened across. As she looked over at Melanie, however, she noticed something, and swiftly walked over to the woman, grabbing her hand and looking straight into her eyes.

"Were you messing with light magic again? Your eye, it's..."

Mel shook her head at Peter's question. "Non, 'e did not seem crazy... I sink 'e was juste very good at 'is magique, which ees probablement more dangereux zan someone 'oo 'as lost eet." She sighed. All this talk of dark magic and its drawbacks was making her feel pretty bad about Declan. She'd been so rude to him about his fears, but what if someone really did go nuts through dark magic, right in front of him? That would've honestly scared anyone, and she couldn't exactly blame him if that was the case.

She sighed. She'd almost thought about going back to her practice when Celestia grabbed her hand. Mel blushed slightly. She really seems to grab me, a lot... "Eh? What about mon oeil?" She raised her free hand up to feeling it, but obviously that would do nothing for her. "Quoi, quoi? What ees eet? I can not see ma own eye!" Now she was really worried. "I mean, I can see fine, ben, you are saying somesing ees wrong! Do not scare me like zis!"

It seemed she hadn't been messing around, if she had no idea. Digging through her saddlebags, Celestia soon pulled out a small hand mirror and held it up to Melanie's face.

"This'll be faster than trying to explain."

Now Mel was thoroughly worried, wondering what was so important that Celestia had to rush off to get a mirror for. When she brought it back, she understood all too well. "Eh? EH!? Ce qui la baise!?" She stared really hard at her own eye in the mirror. She blinked more than a couple times. "Why ees my eye green?" she finally asked, more confused than anything. "Ben, Mina, she 'ealed mah oeil... Maybe zat did eet?" She'd never heard of magic that did something like that. "Zis ees très bizarre..."

"It's possible, I guess? My eyes always recovered on their own so maybe outside influence speeds up the colour changing... you promise that you weren't screwing around with light magic again?" Celestia replied, giving Melanie a thorough stare. It wasn't that she didn't trust her, but she hadn't outright denied it either.

"Je promets. I 'ave not even touched a light tome since ze accident." Mel took the mirror for herself, and began inspecting the eye. It... Well, it was kind of cool, honestly. And it matched her robe. She smiled a little bit. "Ben, I guess... Zis ees not all zat bad. Eet could be worse. I sink eet ees kind of cool, oui? Two colors of eye? I am like, some 'eroine out of a novel. Ahaha~" It seemed she was making the best of the situation. If she could see fine, what did it matter?

"Well, as long as you're not hurt..." Celestia replied with a sigh. What a mess... and she had finally thought she had this whole thing down... though something Melanie said stuck with her.

"Heroine? Novel? The only kinds of books I've seen with a trait like that on a heroine is a cheesy romance drama..."

Edited by Ether

"I am très bien! More 'appy about zis zan earlier, now zat I know. Haha~" Melanie's cheery little attitude was quickly assaulted by Celestia's next comment. She turned an unfortunate shade of red and spun around. "Ben, oui! Ch-Cheesy romance, novels... 'Oo would read zose, eh?" Oh, franchement...

"Well, they're not so bad once in a while... not bad for a laugh now and then." Celestia replied as Melanie began suddenly becoming rather distant about the thought of that sort of novel, and also turned bright red.

"Hey, Melanie... are you alright?" The templar asked somewhat nervously, pressing her hand up to Melanie's forehead.

"Doesn't seem to be a fever..."

Edited by Ether

"Oui, once een a while... No one would read zose for fun, non..." Melanie was really embarrassed to hear this. She just really liked the over the top storylines, the ridiculous characters, how out of touch with reality it was! This eye thing was definitely a characteristic that one of them would have and she felt dumb for getting so happy over it, now... "Oui, I am alright-- Errr..." Mel blinked and got rather confused as Celestia pressed up so close. "Non, I do not 'ave a fever..." What ees wis you? You keep getting close! C'est très déroutant!

"Your face is all red so I wanted to check your temperature... but it doesn't seem to be out of whack or anything." Celestia replied, pulling her hand back and instead pressing her own forehead against Melanie's, as it was a bit more sensitive to temperature, and the woman was still a bright red. However, that didn't yield results either.

"Yeah, it seems to be fine... any idea why you might be so red?" She asked, before deciding to try and go back to the earlier topic for a moment.

"I mean, I could see reading them for fun... for how over the top they are I've seen some that aren't all that badly written... I just hope you don't take them too seriously. I've never really had time to put into a relationship of that sort but even I know they're not like that."

"Is that what you think? Well, thanks. It's always a high compliment to hear that my dance is natural." Magali couldn't help to smile after the compliment. If Mina was as perceptive as she acted like, then Magali had reason to be proud. Just don't you dare have that be empty flattery, dear~. "Even my dance has a place here, so I had a good chance to keep practicing. Even if I have my own chants, I'm grateful it's come so far that I rely on it more than spells."

"A theater? That sounds nice. I'd be delighted to perform there if I get the chance, or at least watch you perform. I'm sure you must know quite a bit yourself if you know such a place." Magali returned a compliment. "And good fortune in your study of magic, too. I know it's not easy to study it so deeply... I've studied the basics about the other schools of magic, but stuck with staves because they're handy, nowadays." She confessed. "Though I must admit, having something to defend with wouldn't be such a bad idea, after all these jobs."

"E-Eh!? Stop zat!" Melanie immediately took a step back as Celestia then pressed her head up against her, turning a deeper shade of red. "You are getting too close! Zat ees why I am so red! Franchement!" She huffed, and cross her arms. "Et oui, I do een fact read ze cheesy romance novels! I 'appen to like zem a lot! Zey are full of adventure and action! Ze characters are over ze top, but I love zem written like zat. Geez." She huffed again, and almost looked a bit hurt that one of her favorite things had been insulted so brazenly.

If there was any response that Artemis wasn't expecting, it was that one. Usually people told her to stop being so idealistic, or something to that effect. "You really think so? I figured most people wouldn't be into that sort of thing. Kind of nice to know that I'm alone there, you know?" She said, relieved that Vale understood where she was coming from. Upon seeing his maneuver, she did a little clap. "W-wow, that was pretty neat! You think I'd be able to do something like that? Well, it'd probably take a while for me to get that far," She said, smiling at the swordsman. "Experience in swordplay?" She said, echoing Vale's question. "Unless you count playing with toy swords when I was younger experience, I got nothing. Probably could've asked for a better pupil, huh? I'll do my best to not let my lack of experience hinder the training, though!" Artemis finished, perhaps more confidently than she actually was in herself.

Before she could say anything else, Wolfgang had (so rudely) interrupted her. "Huh, never thought about it that way before. I'm no great shakes at anima magic, though; there were lots of people at the academy that were way more into it than I ever could be," She said, shrugging. "Probably am the only one who uses it on a pegasus, now that I think about it. I guess Lugos does the same on a wyvern. Hey, which do you think is harder; using anima tomes on a wyvern or a pegasus?" Artemis asked seriously, totally brushing off Wolfgang's admonitions.

Edited by Refa

"Oh... am I? Sorry Melanie, I didn't realize..." Celestia replied, shirking away from Melanie as she raised her voice, flinching slightly. She then continued fuming, and seemed to be a rather avid fan of said cheesy romance novels, in fact. Seems that Celestia had handled just about everything wrong that time...

"Is that so... sorry, I... spoke recklessly. I didn't mean to talk down on them, I just... well, they're not really for me, you know? I just..." Celestia trailed off... it probably sounded like she was making excuses, didn't it?

"I don't really know how to put it, I guess. But I'm sure this all sounds like a bunch of bullshit to you, huh? It looks like I've upset you, so maybe I should just..."

Mel sighed a bit. She may have laid it on a bit thick, but she'd been embarrassed! It was hard not to! "Non, non, eet ees alright. I realize zat zey are... Probablement not ze best littérature. Do not get so upset over zat." Melanie moved back over, looking down a bit. "Ben oui, come on. You are allowed to not like zem. And eet ees fine, about ze forehead, you aussi did not notice. Juste too much concern, eh?" she asked with a small smile, nudging Celestia with her elbow. "Franchement... Between you and Peter, eet feels like I 'ave new parents all over again. Haha~"

"It still wasn't right for me to talk about them like that... sorry. I didn't think that you might have been a fan." Celestia replied, wiping the beginnings of a tear from her eye, shaking her head to try and suppress it.

"New parents, huh? That's... kind of an odd picture..." Celestia responded when Melanie changed the subject, looking back at the girl, still somewhat red around the eyes.

"Hey... listen. I know this might... be asking a bit much, considering what you said about earlier, but... would it be okay if we got a bit closer, for a minute...?" The templar finally managed to ask, turning a bit red herself as she did so. Why now of all times, she wondered, as the heat about her cheeks made itself known to her... well, no matter. It would all depend on Melanie's answer.

"Oui, 'e was all concerned during ze battle, aussi. Eet was nice. Vale was also concerned. You are all such nice people! I can not believe eet~ Ben, I guess I got lucky, or somesing. We seem to run into ze worst people." She held a wide smile, bobbing back and forward in place. That is, until Celestia asked an awkward question. "Eh? Why would you want zat?" Melanie was a bit confused, but she moved in closer, giving the woman a confused glance. "Like zis? I do not know what zis will accomplish. What ees eet?" She blinked a bit, trying to figure it out. Ees she still concerned about my 'ealth? Hmm.