Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 1: Three Days

SB.

"Yeah, I might do that... I guess I'm just a littler nervous that I got off without any real long term damage from haphazardly trying to learn how to use light magic... the only real remnants I have left now are my eyes... they used to be blue." Celestia replied with a light laugh... too many times she had felt what Melanie had, that half blindness... on several occasions she had feared it would never go away. Luckily it had, and her eyes still worked... probably not as well as they used to, not that she could recall it, but well enough.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I never knew that learning magic could have such dire consequences!" Peter was silently relieved that the worst he'd had to deal with were raw fingers and blisters, along with the occasional sparring accident. "Yet it looks like you use it so effortlessly, and I would've never guessed that you weren't born with your present eyes!"

"I've gotten used to it by this point, so I don't really have any problems with it any more. Well, they just changed colour... I had a lot of trouble seeing out of them when the accidents actually happened, though... if you take a close look, Melanie has some grey spots in her eye from when she tried not too long ago... her vision was still bugging her last I checked..." Celestia noted, remembering that she would need to check in on said shamaness to see how she was getting along.completely

"Now imagine doing that enough to effect both of your eyes entirely... it took me a long time to get it right... I'm not about to take it for granted."

"Yeah!" Sheikah responded enthusiastically. "You're right... just need to get started on the path to success. There's plenty ahead of us and jobs to do in the meantime. I think we should get back to where we were before starting this excursion and keep going with the war. It'll be the best pay around and we've already made good impressions, I'm sure." She wiped the tears from her eyes and grinned. "Sorkaan Vier... I will be your death."

And that healing was done. Mel smiled a bit. "Zere... You should feel a bit better, now. Magique, ben, eet takes a while sometimes, for ze effects to go away. I understand why you were a bit scared by eet." She idly rubbed the eye that had finally stopped hurting. Not that she could see it, but after Mina's healing, it has changed to an emerald green. She sighed quietly to herself, trying to keep awake with the healing-- it was still tiring work, even if it was less than last time! But she noticed something poking out of Vale's pocket. "Ehm, excuse, Vale, but, what ees zat scroll? Could I see eet?"

"Being alone and blind is a recipe for disaster," Peter mused, "but would things have gone more smoothly if you had someone who could teach you? For physical weapons, it's possible to pick up most of it by yourself, but it's the small things that separate the competent from the good."

"That sounds like a good plan to me. Though... I wonder. If you want to find out more about Sorkaan... Why not ask the people he was working with here? I mean, the guy is unconscious and such, but why not ask the one who ended up helping us out? Maybe she knows some more about how he ended up here?" Taima wasn't entirely sure this was the right thing to say, but she figured getting information could only help their goal.

The swordsman involuntarily shuddered, and suddenly he felt strong enough to stand up on his own again. His arm still throbbed faintly, but the pain finally stopped shooting down the left side of his body. Vale blinked and opened his eyes wider. "Hey, yeah, that's much better... thanks." He paused to look at his healer. "I hope that wasn't too taxing on you, you seem--" He interrupted himself; his full consciousness was just now returning to him. "Yeah," he said, reaching for his pocket. The scroll slipped out easily and Vale handled it daintily between his fingers."Sorry, I almost forgot. I got this off of the guy who blasted me. Do you know what it is?" He chuckled again. "Or, uh, more specifically, what it's for?"

Declan sighed and tried not to get angry; as usual, it appeared that he was the only one who was completely alone - everyone else was with at least one other person in the group, and he was far from being in the mood to interrupt a conversation. There were still some things on his mind, but even that wasn't something that took any sort of priority for Declan at this point. He was just tired and feeling a bit out of place.

"Pas problème~" Mel smiled. It was taxing, sure, but making people feel better like that was always a good feeling. She took the scroll in hand, unfurled it, and gave it a quick read. If you concentrated on scrolls too hard, you'd end up learning whatever magic was in them. She wanted to know what it was, not take it from him! "Oui, c'est une magique rouleau. Zis one seems to 'ave magique zat 'elps you carry more sings..." Well, okay, now she was thinking about taking it. "You, ehm... You don't suppose, zat... You need zis, do you?" She asked, almost coyly.

"Err..."

Assuming Mel was explaining that everything was fine, Vale shrugged and decided not to press about it; now that the discomfort was almost entirely gone, he appreciated the assistance. He thought for a second."So, then, it's a magic scroll that makes you more resourceful? Like, uhh..." he paused again, trying to make sense of it."It's like casting a spell on someone that makes them faster, or stronger, or something like that." He recalled something like that in one of the mercenary groups he used to be a part of. Limited magic with a permanent beneficial effect on the user--he thought if maybe there might be the opposite to that, but he didn't dare ask. Temporary pain was enough. And death was a permanent enough negative effect, he would assume...

He sighed, but to no one in particular. "If you're asking that you want it, sure. I'm sure you'd make much better use of it than I would--I mean, speaking objectively. You heal people and I stab things. I don't think the latter requires one to be as, well, resourceful." He grinned.

Norman was about to answer Sheikah when the tears started rolling, so it seemed... like it wasn't the best time to introduce himself. Not really knowing her very well he just kind of stood there awkwardly and waited for her to get it together. "So uh, I'm Norman. Some of those monsters showed up at a village I was staying at near here, so I came in to look. So uh, not really the same deal as you, although I was a mercenary, I guess." He didn't sound like he really wanted to talk about it though. He just sighed after that, then glanced over at Regus' unconscious form. "So I guess you were here to take out that guy? Just who is he, anyway, if he's able to summon monsters like that? I've never seen anything like it." He hadn't even managed to get super close to one of his creations though, considering how well the group dealt with them. "I'm guessing it's not your first time dealing with monsters like this though." He commented, hoping to find out more. He figured that these guys were working for Irska, considering the location, but thought that all the other mercenaries would've been out fighting Angala at this point. The war hadn't exactly been going well, after all.

Edited by SB.

"Hmmm... maybe she would know," Sheikah agreed, glancing over to her. "Seems to be a little occupied right now, but I'll be sure to ask her." She had forgotten Norman was standing nearby to some extent, a bit startled when he ended up introducing himself. "Ah, umm... nice to meet you. Seems a good enough reason, though working alone is dangerous. We were sent here to defeat Regus, er, that guy, since he had been making attacks on nobility for some time and the main forces are too occupied in the war. We ran into many monsters escaping from a rough battle with Ardiera, and more when this guy sent 'em after the village we were staying at."

Ivan finding strange people all time. They like to be taking things alot from him. Ivan wondered, this is how conduct went amongst them or they just initiate him.

While he once again mostly be keeping his weapon clean during this battle, the most he be hearing was about a boxing arena in place called Bawnveil when demon lady spoke.

Ivan be remembering how he used to having a brief work in such place in past. Not glamorous, but he had to be making due, yah?

"So these are guys were monster summoning assassins or something? Sounds kind of weird." he remarked. "But it makes sense I guess. The war hasn't really been going well for Irska, so I can see why they would send you all to do it instead. The enemy general has been wrecking the front lines, and everyone has been running around trying to stop him, but all they've done is slowed him down so far. With somebody like that around, I kind of wonder if Angala even needs an army..."

Edited by SB.

Artemis was about to go back to ask Melanie for some help, but it turned out the mage was behind her the whole time. Convenient. Before she could answer Vale's question, Melanie started talking to the swordsman. She started yawning as the Vale was droning about scrolls or what have you; his voice was just so relaxing. So when Vale turned around to her expectantly, she was a little startled. "Oh yeah, what I needed help with. Well you see, uh...how do I begin..." She said nervously. "You're pretty good at using swords, right? Well, I was wondering if you could help teach me; that is, if you're not too busy. I've been doing pretty well with magic until now, but I'm not sure if that's enough. So I thought I should learn to use another weapon...you know, to help the group out and all that. As for the weapon, well there was really only one choice," Artemis said, her eyes lighting up. "You know the heroes of legends and myths, right? They were all so different, but by their side was always a trustworthy blade. So I always thought it'd be pretty cool to learn how to use them myself, but I never had the time or anyone to teach me; well, until now anyways. Haha, pretty dumb reason to want to learn how to use swords, right?"

This was different, that was for sure. Vale titled his head slightly, amused at Artemis's enthusiasm. Her face suddenly filled with such light and vigor; no doubt she thought of someone (or a few someones) specific as she rambled on, only to put herself down right at the end. He thought of himself when her excited gestures and body language suddenly faded to sheepish embarrassment. "Hey, it's all right... it might sound a little idealistic, but it doesn't sound dumb." He wanted to be honest, at least. "The art of the sword definitely has its roots in romantic images of heroes and conquerors and all that. To be honest with you, it's partially why I started my training..." Conversing on this subject reminded him that his steel sword was still in the ground. He pulled it out, let it go in the air a little and gripped the hilt firmly before sheathing it in his belt. Not a bad time to show off a little, after all.

"But I would be happy to teach you, if you really want." He felt bad that he sounded so... blasé about this compared to her. He straightened up his posture a bit. "You should keep that image in your head; it helps with determination and perseverance and all that. Most people don't have it, so hold onto it. Have you any experience in swordplay at all?"

Edited by Quote

"Mais oui, comme ca," she said, at his explanation. She felt a bit greedy asking for the scroll, but when he said yes, she smiled ear to ear. "Vraiment!? Merci~" A part of her wanted to hug him, but she felt that might be a bit too close; unlike Mina who she obviously connected with on a magical and spiritual level. She unfurled the scroll again and began to concentrate on the words, humming to herself a little. It didn't take long, before the magic was absorbed into her, and she could already feel dextrous enough to carry around another tome, or staff. "Merci Vale. Ehm, did you need anysing else? Zere ees no more pain een your arm?" She didn't just want to cut and run; if he was still hurting, the least she could do was heal him again. Otherwise, she'd probably bug someone else. She had no place in a conversation about swords other than to say 'swords are stupide I do not know 'ow to use zem'. And that was no place at all.

Learning to use a weapon because you were fascinated by the legends? How amusing! I never thought you were the idealistic type, Vale, but I suppose that's part of your charm! Wolfgang thought to himself.

" Pardon me for interrupting, but Artemis, but be proud of your gift for magic! You can definitely be a skilled user of anima magic, and you even ride a pegasus while doing so! I suppose learning to use a physical weapon has its merits...hmmmm." he told Artemis, pondered for a few seconds, and continued, " Oh, but you need to be more careful of the archers! I saw you charging at an archer earlier in that fort! You need to be more careful, sometimes you'll need the help of others!"

Magali had taken her time to stay silent and reflect on all the fighting that happened. I wonder how many people other than him can summon like that. What would be their intentions then? This might relate to all the monster outbreaks of the last war, I think. The thought that it could go that deep intrigued her. She kinda wished they could interrogate him, or at least she could... Now how would I get him to open up? The harm staff, maybe?

Her thoughts of intrigue had to wait the moment she was addressed by a rather new individual (to her, at least), though she felt she vaguely recalled her looks. "Hello, Mina. My name is Magali." She introduced herself back, at her usual slow pace. "I was dancing, yes. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've dedicated myself for some years now, and I find it as uplifting to me than those who compliment it." It was nice to know somebody there shared the same interest, that woman seemed like a piece. "You seem to have other skills of your own. How often do you dance?"

Lugos hadn't done much during the battle other than fling a bolt or two so he wondered why he felt so tired. He decided to lay back in Kralle's saddle and rest, Kralle would move if the group did so he wasn't worried about being left behind. After a bit, Kralle started roam for whatever reason but Lugos was still laying down in the saddle and couldn't be bothered to sit up. Well, until Kralle started flapping his wings and threatened to start flying. That got Lugos up in a hurry. "Geez, what's you're problem Kralle?" he asked as he sat up and looked around. For some reason Kralle had stopped in front of Declan. Seriously what's your problem you dumb wyvern. Well as long as he was he he could ask about something. "Hey, Declan, you use axes right?" He picked up the iron axe Ivan had given him as he asked. "Is there anything you could teach me about fighting with em'? I figure I should have a regular weapon in case I lose my casting ability."

Edited by Oersted

Vale turned to Mel again, and was met with a second pleasant burst of enthusiasm. He smiled. Was she really that concerned that she didn't heal him enough the first time? He flexed his arm a couple of times just to make sure, and for good measure stretched out his left leg a bit. "Nah, I think everything's working properly now." He looked at his fingers. "No pain. Again, thanks for that." It was not often that he felt that scared. He glanced to the side a little. "But, uh, so how do you feel? After reading the scroll, I mean." He knew his discussion with Artemis was not exactly, well, lacking in importance, but he had to satiate his curiosity first.

"So, perhaps your eyes would be their original blue? Or would only one have changed color? Not that I mind, as your eyes are just fine as they are!" Peter said with a light chuckle.

"Phew," Mel sighed, at Vale's response. If she hadn't done a poor job, that meant she was getting better at this. And that was worth a lot, to her. "'Ow do I feel? Ben, I feel like I could carry ze 'ole party's équipement and I would not 'ave any difficulté." She smiled wide at Vale. "Sank you for caring, zough. Eet... Well, eet ees nice." She giggled. "I sink, zough, I will be practicing ma magique, now... I know I want to get started on ze ozzers; ze anima and ze light, mais, I should 'ave a better grasp on ze dark, first. Jute un petit peu. Merci~" She gave a tiny curtsy, and hopped her way away from the three. Zat Vale, 'e ees very nice. I am glad we 'ave so many nice people, 'ere... The thought made her hum to herself.

She eventually stopped nearby Celestia and Peter, though not to bother them. She comfortably sat herself down on her robes, and propped out a flux tome. "Bien, let us practique zis magique..." She conjured herself up a flux spell and tried her best to keep it as stable as possible. To get better at anything, you needed to have the basics down, of course.