If you had the chance, how would you handle remaking a FE game?

Fargo294

4- What I mean is FE4 is a game so different from what I would make an FE game like if I were to remake it as I wanted I would probably mess with why people like it. I don't like the plot, a lot of the execution of gameplay, but I think at the same time it has good ideas. I could make it work thinking on it, but I feel it would be the one with the most changes that would take the most thought. And upset the most fans.

5- Yep, haven't played it. I know it has the dismount thing which I really don't like and an absence of characterization, so I could work on that.

6. Is it an official patch with a eugenic connection to FE7? (an idea Duck proposed, I think it would be pretty cool)

7- Agreed. For nomads, I had this idea one time that I quite like-

Archers promote to Snipers (bow locked, crit bonus) or Bow Knights (bows and lances on a horse).

Nomads promote to Nomad Troopers (same) or Bow Knights (which would have more skill/strength/defense but less speed/resistance).

8/9/10/11- Good to know my ideas are well received! I had a more...controversial idea of having pair up in FE10 so I would have a use for Sothe and Micaiah, but I thought that might be a little bit of an odd choice.

13- Hm, yes, balance that. Very important, though I see no issue in rally move.

You know it was for the eugenics thing. While I like the idea of the first generation being badass old people, you know, waffles and all. Stupid waffles, then again, it would maybe balance out the eugenics. Who knows?

Yeah, Awakening lacks tightness of narrative.

Walmart, the conqueror of affordable, everyday prices!

The FE6 I'm referring to is a fan-patch called "FE6 Tier balance"; I found it on FEshrine. The last part made me laugh, I really liked it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5- Yep, haven't played it. I know it has the dismount thing which I really don't like and an absence of characterization, so I could work on that.

Do you not like the way you've heard dismount was implemented or do you dislike it as a general concept?

As a concept, I'm not to fond of the idea of sword-locking my mounts, which I believe are largely lance-locked in that game.

Cavaliers in FE5:

Fin: Lance

Brighton: Axe

Fergus: Sword

Hicks: Axe

Kein/Alva/Carrion: Sword/Lance

Selphina/Robert: Bows

Olwen/Eryios: Swords/Tomes

Glade: Lances

Did I get everyone?

Cavaliers in FE5:

Fin: Lance

Brighton: Axe

Fergus: Sword

Hicks: Axe

Kein/Alva/Carrion: Sword/Lance

Selphina/Robert: Bows

Olwen/Eryios: Swords/Tomes

Glade: Lances

Did I get everyone?

Fred: Sword/Lance

Conomore: Sword/Lance

But Kain and Alva are actually regular Lance Knights and not Cavaliers.

Edited by BrightBow

As a concept, I'm not to fond of the idea of sword-locking my mounts, which I believe are largely lance-locked in that game.

What if dismounted units were changed to be the same as their mounted variant, just without the mount and associated stat changes?

I'll repeat what I said earlier on dismounting:

-Instead of having dismounted units forced to use swords, have them use the same weapons mounted and dismounted, while having separate weapon ranks for both so that the dismounting "penalty" still exists but is applied evenly to all dismounted classes.

I think this is a good way to keep the "mounts have a penalty to their weapon usage" without unfairly handicapping those who don't have access to swords while mounted.

I don't know how I'd nerf Ephraim without taking away lances, but he's just so powerful. I mean, Reginleif is probably the most powerful weapon in the entire series by being a rapier-lance alone. I would give him an Iron lance so that he doesn't suffer from the -5 speed from the Steel lance(steel weapons in the GBA games are really only useful for characters in Lvls 13-20 if their speed is good enough or big Con). Maybe I'd boost Eirika a little(maybe boosting her strength by one point) so that she can actually compete with her brother. Oh yeah, Joshua wouldn't have 4 out of his six supports be Ice affinities. That's just a terrible design choice; Wind/Ice is just a terrible combination. I'd give him a support like Ross to boost his crit up.

I'm making a list of character fixes now:

Eirika: Not easily murdered by lances by better Def.

Gilliam: 4 Spd at the least.

Neimi: Lvl2, +1 to each stat.

Natasha: Up to Lvl4 so she can promote faster

Forde: Higher base speed, Give Iron lance and sword, remove Steel sword

Ephraim: Replace Steel lance w/ Iron lance. Kinda concerned with giving him 40% Spd and not 45% Spd, feel like the former would be too low.

Tana: DON'T give her a lance that weighs over twice as much as her in Eirika's route.

Amelia: Lvl3, stat boosts everywhere, give light ranged lance.

Marisa: Not sure if she can be salvaged, any ideas?

L'Arachel: Lvl9 healer, stat boosts everywhere.

Dozla: Make useful after first level.

Rennac: Make competent fighter.

Knoll: Have an actual base luck, keep low luck growth but increase every other growth. +1Con.

Ewan: Lvl5, stat boosts everywhere.

Syrene: Make her a competent Gotoh archetype since the game doesn't have one.(Not that you need one given the game's difficulty.)

Edited by Fargo294

I would argue that Ephraim's having lances is what makes him NOT overpowered. I would say that lances are the worst weapons in the Fire Emblem series, through and through.

I would say Ephraim's power comes from ridiculous growths, despite 24 speed cap, for whatever reason.

I would argue that Ephraim's having lances is what makes him NOT overpowered. I would say that lances are the worst weapons in the Fire Emblem series, through and through.

Obviously you haven't played FE6 or used light tomes

From what I see, Reginleif>>>>>>>Rapier since the majority of armored/mounted enemies use lances which swords have a disadvantage against lances, and a RapierLance fixes that problem by a lot. Not to mention that he has overall higher damage output and durability so he can actually kill his opponents without having to use his personal weapon and actually ORKO them. Eirika can pretty much be destroyed by anything with a lance in the early stages of the game due to her low HP.

I would say Ephraim's power comes from ridiculous growths, despite 24 speed cap, for whatever reason.

Last 3 times I played the game, he capped speed before he got past Level 5 Great Lord. Not that capping speed really matters since anyone who isn't Gilliam or Garcia can double enemies.

I don't know how I'd nerf Ephraim without taking away lances, but he's just so powerful. I mean, Reginleif is probably the most powerful weapon in the entire series by being a rapier-lance alone. I would give him an Iron lance so that he doesn't suffer from the -5 speed from the Steel lance(steel weapons in the GBA games are really only useful for characters in Lvls 13-20 if their speed is good enough or big Con). Maybe I'd boost Eirika a little(maybe boosting her strength by one point) so that she can actually compete with her brother. Oh yeah, Joshua wouldn't have 4 out of his six supports be Ice affinities. That's just a terrible design choice; Wind/Ice is just a terrible combination. Maybe I'd th

Oh yeah, I never actually finished that because my computer crashed after trying to do too many things at once. I love my attention span.

I FIXED IT.

Edited by Fargo294

Why do you dislike lances? They pose as a good balance between swords and axes having decent power and accuracy. Most enemies in the series are lance wielders themselves too which means lances can actually hit then better than swords and probably better than axes too even with the weapon triangle advantage. Even at that outside of some opening chapters your likely going to be fighting more sword enemies than axe enemies in most games. And also Javelins. Just Javelins...

Why do you dislike lances? They pose as a good balance between swords and axes having decent power and accuracy. Most enemies in the series are lance wielders themselves too which means lances can actually hit then better than swords and probably better than axes too even with the weapon triangle advantage. Even at that outside of some opening chapters your likely going to be fighting more sword enemies than axe enemies in most games. And also Javelins. Just Javelins...

Swords and sword users have such a high skill that lances hardly benefit from the added avoid of being advantageous in the weapon triangle.

Axes are by far the best weapons in FE (FE5 and up) because their strength outweighs their issues of accuracy (as well as most axe-users having a high enough skill).

All in all, sword actually have an advantage over axes, axes actually have an advantage over lances, and lances fail to beat either in almost every situation.

Swords and sword users have such a high skill that lances hardly benefit from the added avoid of being advantageous in the weapon triangle.

Axes are by far the best weapons in FE (FE5 and up) because their strength outweighs their issues of accuracy (as well as most axe-users having a high enough skill).

All in all, sword actually have an advantage over axes, axes actually have an advantage over lances, and lances fail to beat either in almost every situation.

The average sword user (Mercenary, Myrmidon, Cavalier, etc.) is a unit with low defense, but high avoid. The problem with sword users going against lance users is not that the lance users can't dodge, it's that the sword users take hits that they really can't afford to. The sword user also suffers a damage penalty in addition to being the weakest variety of melee weapon overall.

Also, Javelins.

Edited by Hamicsat

I think what we might be missing here is that weapons are only as good as the person who's holding them. Like Hamicsat says below, sword users usually give up damage output for the ability to hit and dodge the enemy. Generally when sword users fight lance users(on most difficulties) the hit rates are usually ~10 points in difference, so while lance users usually do take hits, they'll more often than not hit the sword user as well. And they'll usually have enough HP to take it or have it make little difference, and it'll also be enough to take 2 or 3 hits(on easier difficulties) from axe users. Though I suppose the ~10 hit rate point difference can probably be said for axes vs. lances as well.

True axes may have made a difference starting from FE5 with Othin and Halvan being total beasts, but FE6 took that away with the super low hit rates for weapons, and crappy starting fighters(though Geese and Gonzales kinda make up for that as well as the prepromotes). Although the low hit rates are universal, axes still suffer the most with 65 being the highest non-Armads hit rate. I also recall a few times when my fighters/warriors were decimated by a Myrmidon once or twice so while axes do have an advantage over lances, they have a distinct weakness against swords with greatly lowered hit rates, and most likely double hits when fighting sword users.

Turning back to Ephraim, I don't recall axe-users being a problem even for him since it's pretty easy to keep him away from them, and they really aren't all that common anyway. He could probably still double and kill them while still taking a hit while the enemy focuses on other units.

The average sword user (Mercenary, Myrmidon, Cavalier, etc.) is a unit with low defense, but high avoid. The problem with sword users going against lance users is not that the lance users can't dodge, it's that the sword users take hits that they really can't afford to. The sword user also suffers a damage penalty in addition to being the weakest variety of melee weapon overall.

Also, Javelins.

Sure? I guess? Yeah, I guess.

Not sure if these had been mentioned yet, but:

RD:
1: 1-3 more chapters in part 1. I honestly didn't dislike the DB that much, but it would give them more chances to gain EXP.
2: Buff Leo's and Micaiah's speed growths by 10-20%. It would make 'em a lot better.
3: Buff all of the caps of Archsage by 2-3.
4: More PoR style supports.

Awakening:

1: Make Swordmasters and friends a bit cooler, like Tellius swordmaster cool. Especially Astra. in PoR, they would do a quick quadruple slash, backflip, and zoom forward for a finishing one. Awesome, right? Not in Awakening. Female swordmasters are a little cooler with their flourish after defeating an enemy, IMO.
2: A few skills were missing, but it doesn't matter too much. I'm leaning torward mostly Adept and Resolve.

SD:

1: Less characters = More development. DO EET.

2: I know a lot of people like Cavaliers, but does there need to be so many? All you might need is probably Frey, Abel, or Cain or whatever.

3: MAKE PRE-PROMOTES LESS SUCKY. Man, some characters, like Jorge, had worse stats than Gordin at the time when he was a level 9 Archer. Don't even get me started on Jagen.

And IS seems to realize it, which is why after we got 2 ridiculously good Jeigan(Dagda, Finn) and 3 overpowered Jeigan in a row, we got Sothe, Jeigan, Arran, and Frederick who fits the whole "strong in early game, weak in late game" archetype

And IS seems to realize it, which is why after we got 2 ridiculously good Jeigan(Dagda, Finn) and 3 overpowered Jeigan in a row, we got Sothe, Jeigan, Arran, and Frederick who fits the whole "strong in early game, weak in late game" archetype

I never really minded Sothe's presence in FE10, he was still helpful whenever he was around, but what with being Knife-locked and forced in endgame I can see why some would dislike him.

4: More PoR style supports.

Given that the availability of some characters is sketchy, I would have thought that implementing a PoR-style support system would be next to impossible.

Take Tauroneo for example: He first appears in 1-6 and then disappears until 3-12. Now, at this point I'd imagine he wouldn't have many support options left (if any), since they would have already been taken.

• 2 months later...

If I could? All I would do is flesh out the "support conversations" in Radiant Dawn. Maybe add just a little more Ilian, Eturnian and Western Isles backstory in Blazing Sword and tweak some of the growth rates in Binding Blade to make some characters easier to use *cough ROY cough* Beyond that? I don't think I'd change anything else or rather I wouldn't feel comfortable tackling anything else without much fanbase input not just from one source but from generally everyone.

Edited by ViewtifulBo