If you had the chance, how would you handle remaking a FE game?

Fargo294

If I had the chance, I'd take some creative liberties and tweak around with the GBA FE games. I'd definitely fix the growths and bases of the FE6 cast so that at least most of the cast is competent. I'd definitely make it so that the supports don't take a year and a half to complete. I'd make the regular FE6 Hard mode into Lunatic mode and I'd make the FE8 enemies in the later chapters more difficult. By that I mean make the AI pre-promotes break double digits in Normal Mode.

What would you guys do?

EDIT: I'd make the armor knights in FE6 usable without hours of training for sure, and make Hugh worth the 10,000 because I think he looks cool and bias bias bias.

Edited by Fargo294

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pet project which is basically a remake of fe6 that unfortunately I don't have time to work on (damn you job corps)

It would be redone story wise and such too. There would be a Roy and Lilina Mode. But they would have split teams (think Fe2 or Tear ring Saga)

This would effectively cut the cast in half yet have them all, balance would be better, hit rates would not be as wonky. Although I feel people over play the hit rate stuff but hey.

I'd have mono cavaliers like Fe9, add various classes like great knight and Monk and maybe alter some PC classes to better them or change things up.

And thanks to Cam I'd be able to implement some Fe5 mechanics

Edited by Jedi Fon Fabre

Get rid of the stuff I don't like, buff the weaker characters and tweak various other things.

Shadow Dragon would require too much work though, so I probably wouldn't bother with that game.

Also, I would take a butcher's knife to FE4 and FE5. :evil:

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I'd remake RD so it's a little longer, the support system was more akin to that of PoR, certain characters have more availability (I'm looking at you, Tormod and co., Tauroneo, and Geoffrey. Yes, I said Geoffrey, because even I have to admit that he couldn't be used much at all), and more paired endings were available. But DON'T WORRY, I WOULD NOT CUT PAIRINGS THAT ARE ALREADY POSSIBLE. Just to clarify. :P

I'd also give the Dawn Brigade more chapters, despite how much I dislike them. In fact, one reason I dislike them is BECAUSE you're not given enough chance to level them up. They can pretty much never be on par with Ike's group and that's kind of unfair.

I'd also cut the Shove skill, because there is absolutely no point to that. Shove can just stay as a battle command. Smite can stay though, because it's slightly different in that it allows a unit to shove another unit two spaces instead of one. And speaking of Smite, I'd give Ike access to it, because come on, look at those muscles! :P

Edited by Anacybele

I have a pet project which is basically a remake of fe6 that unfortunately I don't have time to work on (damn you job corps)

It would be redone story wise and such too. There would be a Roy and Lilina Mode. But they would have split teams (think Fe2 or Tear ring Saga)

This would effectively cut the cast in half yet have them all, balance would be better, hit rates would not be as wonky. Although I feel people over play the hit rate stuff but hey.

I'd have mono cavaliers like Fe9, add various classes like great knight and Monk and maybe alter some PC classes to better them or change things up.

And thanks to Cam I'd be able to implement some Fe5 mechanics

To be honest, that'd make the game a lot more interesting than it is now.

Get rid of the stuff I don't like, buff the weaker characters and tweak various other things.

Shadow Dragon would require too much work though, so I probably wouldn't bother with that game.

Yeah, the majority of the cast has terrible growth rates. At least we have Wolf and Sedgar.

Give a bit more in depth character dev to the judgral games

With good writing

That I can't provide because I suck at writing

I thought that development for the characters(main characters at least) was pretty good already, but they really do deserve a lot more. Thoughts about how they develop have crossed my mind(much to my irritation since I'd have liked to have worked more on my own stories, but as of now, FE took over my mind again).

Implement non-whole number terrain penalties and make use of it (especially in desert maps).

Non...whole numbers? How'd that work?

I'd remake RD so it's a little longer, the support system was more akin to that of PoR, certain characters have more availability (I'm looking at you, Tormod and co., Tauroneo, and Geoffrey. Yes, I said Geoffrey, because even I have to admit that he couldn't be used much at all), and more paired endings were available. But DON'T WORRY, I WOULD NOT CUT PAIRINGS THAT ARE ALREADY POSSIBLE. Just to clarify. :P

I'd also give the Dawn Brigade more chapters, despite how much I dislike them. In fact, one reason I dislike them is BECAUSE you're not given enough chance to level them up. They can pretty much never be on par with Ike's group and that's kind of unfair.

I would also like it if the supports were implemented in the way the were in PoR. I think the only reason why I want to play RD again is because of the Dawn Brigade, and like you said, they really don't have as much time as Ike's team, and they steal the show in Part 3 and I think they're the least interesting team. =P

I'd add a 0% growths mode. And an IRONMAN MANLY MAN mode. And an option to remove cutscenes (maybe after you've beaten the game once). And a No Shops Mode. And a Low Level Run Mode. And Finn.

I would also like it if the supports were implemented in the way the were in PoR. I think the only reason why I want to play RD again is because of the Dawn Brigade, and like you said, they really don't have as much time as Ike's team, and they steal the show in Part 3 and I think they're the least interesting team. =P

Honestly, I find Ike and his mercenaries to be the coolest group of warriors ever. Sorry. lol

To be honest, that'd make the game a lot more interesting than it is now

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. I hope I can work on it reasonably soon

I thought that development for the characters(main characters at least) was pretty good already, but they really do deserve a lot more. Thoughts about how they develop have crossed my mind(much to my irritation since I'd have liked to have worked more on my own stories, but as of now, FE took over my mind again).

That's the thing. In pre-support-era FE, main characters who get screen time and dialogue have fine development, but FE is not a game with just one playable protag and a small group of npc support like Assassin's Creed. It's got 40+ playable cast per game and everyone else who aren't the protag gets about 2 lines and then don't really get to see much later if at all. Some like Ayra and Levin are lucky and have lines better indicative of their characters, and even then they deserve more, but others (Ralph? Ralph who) aren't so. I want to develop everyone better, but alas, I lack the writing skills to do so.

At least there is the Oosawa manga. That does a pretty good job as far as the translation showed.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Er, to which game? All of them?

Yeah. I mean, there might be some game specific changes, like instead of No Shops I'd have a No Repairs mode for FE4 (shut up I'll get to that playthrough eventually I have a LEGITIMATE THE EXCOOSE) and a No Shops Mode would be laughably boring in FE5 as well, but that's the general gist of it. Also these wouldn't be modes persay, but more like options along the vein of Casual/Classic.

I would make 4 and 5 more like Awakening since the parent-child part is basically an updated part of 4.

Please don't. Like, I can't think of much that you could make like Awakening in FE4/5 that wouldn't make it worse.

I'd add a 0% growths mode. And an IRONMAN MANLY MAN mode. And an option to remove cutscenes (maybe after you've beaten the game once). And a No Shops Mode. And a Low Level Run Mode. And Finn.

I've seen 0% growth runs mentioned before, how exactly do those work?

And Finn.

Honestly, I find Ike and his mercenaries to be the coolest group of warriors ever. Sorry. lol

That's alright; agree to disagree! =)

That's the thing. In pre-support-era FE, main characters who get screen time and dialogue have fine development, but FE is not a game with just one playable protag and a small group of npc support like Assassin's Creed. It's got 40+ playable cast per game and everyone else who aren't the protag gets about 2 lines and then don't really get to see much later if at all. Some like Ayra and Levin are lucky and have lines better indicative of their characters, and even then they deserve more, but others (Ralph? Ralph who) aren't so. I want to develop everyone better, but alas, I lack the writing skills to do so.

At least there is the Oosawa manga. That does a pretty good job as far as the translation showed.

I think that there's a lot missed out for the second generation since they had a lot of potential for development. Poor Ralph. FE5 had the second biggest cast and some characters didn't even get any lines(Kein, Alva, Robert). I probably have enough creative juices to come up with a story for all the characters. And more projects is exactly what I need because I definitely don't have over ten to do already.

Make Gaiden an actual game that people can easily play.

Hoo, that sounds good. I might actually finish it if that was how the game worked.

I'd also cut the Shove skill, because there is absolutely no point to that. Shove can just stay as a battle command. Smite can stay though, because it's slightly different in that it allows a unit to shove another unit two spaces instead of one. And speaking of Smite, I'd give Ike access to it, because come on, look at those muscles! :P

I would combine fe9 and fe10 into 1 game

There would be fe9 supports

a lengthened part 1

maybe an extra 2 or 3 with one specifically designed to make fiona worthwhile)

part lengthened 2

have the bit with stealing the documents be a stealth puzzle like the prison chapter in fe9

make the part with tashoria be a siege (break line (opposite of the chapter with the green line) and then after breaking the line take the castle) of radiant dawn.

For people like Tormods group, tauroneo, bastian and geoffrey, i would give them side story chapters that would be unlocked on later playthrough by meeting certain requirements in game (talking to certain enemies faster clears etc)

I wouldn't remake any of the GBA games or any that came after, I'd remake 2, 4, and 5. I'm not sure how I'd go about remaking 2, but I would make 4 and 5 more like Awakening since the parent-child part is basically an updated part of 4.

do you mean that the parents would come back? i personally hate that idea, a core mechanic of fire emblem is perma death

I actually had the thought that I'd probably do some arc compilation packs: FE1+2+3, FE4+5 and FE6+7. Can't really speak much for 4+5 since I haven't played much of the Jugdral games, but here's what I'd do for Archanea-Valentia and Elibe assuming I had basically a bottomless budget.
If you take issue with any of the proposed name changes please explain why instead of just saying that it's different and therefore it sucks.
[spoiler=Archanea-Valentia Saga (1~3)]All officially localized names for characters, classes, locations, items and other content, where present, would be used. Otherwise, the names used in fan translations would be used unless otherwise specified. Additionally, graphics and sound would be updated to modern standards, with an option to switch between the new audio and previous versions from the settings menu. Multilanguage audio included for voice acting.

ALL: Proper supports would be added, with support points acquired in the same manner as in Path of Radiance and lists of 3~7 support partners (C~A) for every character. If present, Reclassing would use Awakening-style class sets but otherwise be done as in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem. Increase the amount of EXP gained from each staff use or dance. Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem would retain all additional content from their existing remakes. Add Light and Dark magic for Bishops/Linde and Dark Mages/Sorcerers, respectively. Sorcerer class name changed to Sorceress for females with access to the class. Data transfer added to allow for small statistical bonuses (+stat/10) for returning characters.

SHADOW DRAGON: Rebalance growth rates and bases in order to make as many characters viable as possible. Rebalance enemy distribution slightly for greater weapon type variation. Add a base Dark Mage and recruitable Soldier, as well as Halberdier promotion for Soldiers. Make Sidequest requirements less stupid.

GAIDEN: Awakening-style makeover, since the basic gameplay concept is the same. Add EXP gain for healing/supportive magic use. Where applicable, update names of classes to be consistent with newer entries in the series. Revise most maps and give each location on the world map a unique combat map associated with it. Add named bosses for every required storyline battle. Replace "Sorcerer" with Dark Mage/Sorcerer line, make Exorcist a unique class. Add recruitable base Barbarian, Dark Mage. Bosses with "special" classes named after themselves would be reverted to regular classes like everyone else.

MYSTERY OF THE EMBLEM: Nerf My Unit/Avatar to be more on-par with other allies, increase base class options for both genders, add more customization options, (skin tone, eye color, more hair colors, outfit color and type, the latter being based on class somewhat with some options shared between some classes). Moderately increase difficulty of sidequest requirements. Recruitable base Dark Mage and Soldier as well as Halberdier class would return. Add recruitable base Barbarian, Pirate. Add "Easy" difficulty for newcomers, (since even on Normal mode New Mystery is still one of the tougher FEs I've played) all other difficulties retained. Support lists kept consistent with Shadow Dragon's wherever possible, (read: where Boah isn't dead). While support ranks would be wiped clean, gaining back support ranks from a Shadow Dragon playthrough would take half the time and be accompanied by new conversations.

NAMES:

Gaiden:

Ruka -> Luca

Robin -> Jay (to prevent name overlap with Awakening's Robin)

Fols -> Force

Paison -> Python

Machilda -> Mathilda

Dute -> Judith

Teeta -> Tita

Zeke -> Ezekiel (the name "Zeke" is short for, also sounds more knightly)

Sevr -> Severus

Kamui -> Camden

Leo -> Leon

Jesey -> Jesse

Sonia -> Sondra (to prevent overlap with Blazing Sword's Sonia)

Rima IV -> Riemer IV

Dozer -> Deauze

Rudolph -> Randolph (due to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)

New Mystery:

Samto (サムトー) -> Samther

Ellerean (エルレーン) -> Elraine

Sheema (シーマ) -> Shiema

Belf (ベルフ) -> Ferris (Belf is just a totally bizarre nonsensical name I don't even know what to do about it and Ferris is closer than Virgil)

Robert (ロベルト) -> Roberto (Roberto's a real name jeez. Also the katakana is pronounced closer to Roberto than it is to Robert)

Kleine (クライネ) -> Kleina

Eremiya (エレミヤ) -> Arimea (Eremiah looks like it's pronounced like Jeremiah minus the J (because it's kinda spelled that way too) and that's not correct)

[spoiler=Elibe Saga (6+7)]All officially localized names for characters, classes, locations, items and other content, where present, would be used. Otherwise, the names given in fan translations would be used unless otherwise specified. Additionally, graphics and sound would be updated to modern standards, with an option to switch between the new and original audio from the settings menu. Multilanguage audio included for voice acting.

BOTH: Support point gain revised to Path of Radiance's system. Conversations can be activated either during battle or from the preparations menu. "Talk" and "Support" commands changed to "free" actions a la "Trade". Replace Link Arena with FEDS-style link battles. Increase the amount of EXP gained from each staff use or dance/musical performance. Save data transfer system that grants small stat bonuses to returning characters (+stat/10) and halve support points necessary to attain recurring support pairs. With the exception of those with set parents, (Fir and the Etrurian siblings) children of Blazing Sword characters would inherit their non-attached parent's hair color and some growth inclinations if their attached parent reached A support with a love interest. If not, or if their parent forged a nonromantic A support instead, they'll have their original hair color and growth rates instead. Romantic couples in Blazing Sword wherein neither member is a canon parent of a Binding Blade character would have children (by specific pair, not by mother or father) who would be recruitable in Binding Blade.

BLAZING SWORD: Add recruitable base Brigand and Soldier, as well as Halberdier promotion for Soldier. Allow for a selection between Lyn's and Eliwood's tales at the start of a new file as well as the disabling of tutorials in Lyn's tale without requiring a completed game file. Add a choice between the classic tactician character, My Unit or no tactician/custom character at the start of the game.

BINDING BLADE: Retain the addition of Halberdier class, add recruitable base Soldier character. Update RNG formula and rebalance hit rates. Add (a lot of) paired endings unrelated to Roy. Modify Gonzales' bases to change in accordance with his starting level (for the first route split). Make Nomad line vulnerable to cavalry-slaying weapons. Move Guinevere's recruitment to the main story and give both her and Lilina "Lord" status, as well as the custom classes to go with it.. Add all promotional Trial Maps into the game. Add additional sidequests not related to legendary weapons and use some of them to introduce and incorporate Al (Mercenary or his own personal class), Gant (Knight) and Tiena (Cleric) into the story as recruitable allies, move said characters' special equipment into their respective inventories. Increase Wendy and Sophia's bases and growths to make them at least sorta kinda maybe worth the effort. Increase Lilina's starting level slightly and adjust her bases to match.

NAMES:

Bors -> Borris
Dieck -> Deke

Clarine -> Clarina
Rutoga -> Rutger

Astohl -> Astor

Ogier -> Oujay

Thite -> Tate

Miledy -> Melody (Sounds similar enough and Melody's a real name)

Niime -> Nimae (To make the pronunciation clearer to those not in the know about the original language)

Idoun -> Iden

Edited by Starlight36

]All officially localized names for characters, classes, locations, items and other content, where present, would be used. Otherwise, the names used in fan translations would be used unless otherwise specified

NAMES:

Bors -> Borris

Dieck -> Deke

Clarine -> Clarina

Rutoga -> Rutger

Astohl -> Astor

Ogier -> Oujay

Thite -> Tate

Miledy -> Melody (Sounds similar enough and Melody's a real name)

Niime -> Nimae (To make the pronunciation clearer to those not in the know about the original language)

Idoun -> Eden

When you say officially localisations would be used, do you meant the European or American officially localisation? Because the American version of Shadow Dragon made some weird changes.

Also Iden is a norse god so I'd rather Idoun would keep such a name in order to stay true to her roots.

For Fire Emblem 6, I would have Roy discover that the 8 heroes weren't as great as history made them out to be. (Instead of pretending the opening doesn't exist.)

This would tie into Zephidel's actions, who through this truth sees his father's actions reflected on a great scale and therefore no longer sees any hope in humanity.

Yahn would be hateful (I would be too after lying thousands years under rocks)and taking great glee in humanities desctrutive behavior causing a great war among themselves.

The Fire Dragons back then were to prideful to leave their home to the attacking humans and therefore refused to leave Elibe along with the Divine Dragons.

In Fire Emblem 7, I would the story... well, acknowledge the stuff implied in awfully hidden chapters.

The conflict between Nergal and Athos is personal because Nergal sees Athos responsible for the dead of his life and the loss of his children... instead of some stupid scar in some totally unrelated incident.

Athos meeting those three survivor's of the war, Ninian, Nils and Nergal, results in the conflict being explored from their respective view points.

In Radiant Dawn, I would use the extended script exclusively. The plot being complicated means that more text is needed so that everything makes sense. Not the exact opposite.

Also, the Blood Pact needs more explanation because heroes burning thousands of people is not something to be done half-assed.

And the decision of Gallia to burn down all diplomatic bridges with Begnion that were created three years needs to be elaborated more.

There would be a few more chapters in Begnion, featuring the Holy Guard teaming up with the Laguz Liberation Army and Naesala, Nealuchi and Leanne in order to free Sanaki.

We know Tormod and Naesala were in Begnion during that time because the extended script has Sothe say he knows about the civil war in Begnion from Tormod and Naesala was Sanaki's freaking bodyguard.

Also, the Black Knight didn't loose against Ike because of what the Japanese or the English script say because both are stupid. (Well, the Japanese one is only stupid because of execution)

The Black Knight lost because of exactly what was stated in PoR: Using the magic powder weakens him. That's it. That's also why he managed to screw up killing Ena.

Oh, and I would use the Japanese version of Ike's Epilogue speech to Yune because that one has actually something to do with the stuff leading up to it.

And last but not least: Ike is staying with the Greil Mercenaries. His father left them in his care and they stayed with him when he was incapable and inexperienced.

Ike would not abandoning them just because he is bored.

Part 1 will not bring up all the time that Micaiah can see the future as a shortcut for more complicated explanations. It's simply not needed.

Also, more chapters for Part 1. Especially one that ties into the opening cinematic and enough that the DB can be explored just as well as the mercs at the beginning of PoR.

Laguz can fight even when unarmed. Speed does not get halved while untransformed. Cats get the same gauge as Tigers and Hawks.

Fiona starts out as a Paladin.

For Awakening I separate things.

Gangrel arc

The Arc is about facing the past and overcoming the scars it left.

Ferox would be a proper antagonist because they were mislead by Plegia's attempts to frame Ylisse as their enemy.

Gangrel holds Ylisse responsible for the actions of Chrom's father.

Emmeryn dies in order to protect the capital from destruction.

Valm arc

The arc is about how unity by force is doomed to fall to pieces.

Chrom's fleet meets the Valm fleet and wins. The burning thing is not needed for anything so it doesn't have to happen. Period.

Elaborate more on the dynasties. Make sure that the point comes across that they are reason that Wallhart falls and them allying with Chrom is the reason hat his philosophy is the right one.

Consequently, the dynasties are capable of taking care of the continent.

Grima arc

The arc is about a person's ability to do good or bad and how circumstance can lead to either of these things.

Future Robin accepted Grima's power and Robin didn't. It would be explored why that happened instead of being this random, meaningless waste of time it is now.

Future Robin's fixation with Present Robin is the result of him not grasping why he would do things differently then he did and to seek validation for his past actions.

Chrom would actually become king.

No Tanguel. They cover nothing that the Manakete already do, both gameplay wise and story wise. They simply aren't needed for anything.

There would be a different art director. I do like the Victorian look, though.

There would be an option to select a palette for the Avatar. Consequently, every character keeps their colors during reclassing.

Edited by BrightBow

0_0 Hot damn that's a lot of thought.

I guess I pretended the opening didn't exist because I always skipped right past it in FE6. In any case, I think more meat to its story would suit its bare bones, I'd certainly appreciate it a lot more.

I think that most can agree that RD needs a lot of revisions. More DB and everyone else, and less Ike in my opinion. I think Ike doesn't have all that much to be developed on anymore, but a remake could do him justice.

I kind of liked Awakening for what it was, but Grima could be defined a bit more. I'd like to know a bit more about him. Gangrel's motives could be different, Valm's tale was kinda "eh" and sort of felt like filler. More colorful Avatars and keeping colors would be nice. I kind of liked the Taguel though... certainly more than Nowi considering she's as flat as a board when it comes to personality. Panne is actually cool and interesting.

When you say officially localisations would be used, do you meant the European or American officially localisation? Because the American version of Shadow Dragon made some weird changes.

Also Iden is a norse god so I'd rather Idoun would keep such a name in order to stay true to her roots.

Ah, thanks, I updated the name list.

As for localizations... "By region", I guess? I mean, since I live in North America I had that region's localizations in mind when I typed that, but the European version would obviously use the official localizations for that region instead, where they differ.

Yeah, the majority of the cast has terrible growth rates. At least we have Wolf and Sedgar.

I didn't think that either of those two were particularly good.

Edited by NinjaMonkey