Best Soundtrack in a Fire Emblem Title

Kain

What would you say is the best soundtrack in a Fire Emblem title?

Not in the sense of what are your favorite tracks from each game, but what title as a whole has the best music to you?

I would argue between FE4 and FE7, with FE7 slightly winning out. The music in both games just is so cohesive, and there's few if any poor tracks in either games. I don't think that the other Fire Emblem games have as consistently great soundtracks among them.

Probably 5 or 10. 10 has an especially great variety of map and combat themes, with a few custom themes that are a nice touch if you like the characters. Meanwhile, 5 has a few map songs that emulate the atmosphere of the game quite well, such as when you're in danger or after you lose a unit. It also has my favorite dancing theme, though the combat themes get old quickly.

The DS games for me. You've got amazing new tracks like Footsteps of Fate, Endless Battle and Tearing Shadows and awesome new versions of the FE3 soundtrack like the two Divine Dragon Sagas, the best version of the main theme, etc.

I'd say that FE10 has the best soundtrack.

However, it rarely feels as powerful as in FE9. That is probably partly because the script is abridged but I think the game is also missing certain beautiful but more subdued but more personal tracks, like "Dreaming of Home", "A Grave Fate" or "For my Love".

But there is no way around the fact that FE10 did some great stuff that FE9 didn't, like having a different base themes and battle preparations themes depending on circumstance. It helps to add a lot of weight to certain events.

And of course it got beautiful leitmotifs by the truckload.

I'm not sure. Maybe FE11 & 12. It sounds very Fire Emblem, and has several good tracks that can get stuck in one's head, and has decent sound quality.

I feel like a lot of people really love FE13's soundtrack, and I like it as well, but it feel like 75% of it is just variants of the same track. And other than the main theme, it doesn't feel as distinctively Fire Emblem.

The DS games for me. You've got amazing new tracks like Footsteps of Fate, Endless Battle and Tearing Shadows and awesome new versions of the FE3 soundtrack like the two Divine Dragon Sagas, the best version of the main theme, etc.

Even though I said FE4, man Footsteps of Fate is the best song in the entire game for me... ah, and Expedition from FE3 for this guy

Personally I would describe the FE13 tracks above all else as dull.

Sure, the instruments are better then anything used in Fire Emblem so far but that doesn't help when the compositions themselves aren't good. And they don't leave much of an impression to me.

And I'd say the usage of the tracks is really bad. Like, the game doesn't even do something as easy as having different world map themes depending on the act of the story, like in FE8. Instead, it simply plays the same boring song throughout the entire game.

Like, FE11 story might be boring and straightforward but songs like it's energetic battle preparation theme or the very heavy but nevertheless triumphant sounding "A Hero's Destiny" went a long to make even the simplest maps come across as meaningful and epic.

I do like FE13's battle theme style but...

a) I don't think the compositions change enough in tone to really give it the dramatic battle vibe they were going for.

b) The music is trying to be atmospheric, yet that atmosphere is destroyed by the characters behaving more like they are playing a video game rather then being in a battle for life and death.

Edited by BrightBow

Personally I would describe the FE13 tracks above all else as dull.

Sure, the instruments are better then anything used in Fire Emblem so far but that doesn't help when the compositions themselves aren't good. And they don't leave much of an impression to me.

And I'd say the usage of the tracks is really bad. Like, the game doesn't even do something as easy as having different world map themes depending on the act of the story, like in FE8. Instead, it simply plays the same boring song throughout the entire game.

I'd also say there was much it didn't put much feeling into, but that's neither here nor there... But I thought Divine Decree was played too soon, Gangrel wasn't enough to warrant the use of a song like that, the only in the game I liked, as far as I got

Edited by Soledai

b) The music is trying to be atmospheric, yet that atmosphere is destroyed by the characters behaving more like they are playing a video game rather then being in a battle for life and death.

Those animu quotes really destroy the atmosphere the game tries to create.

I like the style and instruments but soundtracks from previous games using those instruments would sound better too.

They're all really good, but 4, 7, and 13 stood out the most. Maybe 9 and 6 too.

4- Chapter 2 and 3, and every battle theme, recruitment theme

6- IN THE NAME OF BERN, Dat recruitment

7- The fog theme, Hector mode chapter theme, softly with grace, really every level theme

9- Crimea marches, RECRUITMENT THEME

12- TEARING SHADOWS

13- All the amp themes, but especially Destiny (America) and prelude. Id Hope was amazing as well.

FE4 without a doubt for me. I love so many songs from it like Birth of the Holy Knight, Girl in the Spirit Forest, Disturbance in Agustria, Lion King Eltshan, Doors of Destiny, Light Inheritors, For Whose Sake, Light and Dark, Final Holy War, and more! The chapter themes capture the atmosphere really well and are amazing! The enemy themes are pretty cool too. I remember dancing with my brother to the Thracia theme. :XD: I also like the conversation themes a lot. This game's music is a masterpiece! I also really like Radiant Dawn's soundtrack. Lot's of awesome songs like Wheeling Corby and Eternal Bond and more too.

New Mystery for me. It contains Shadow Dragon's best music like Footsteps of Fate among others and has kickass music itself too. Like Tearing Shadows, Dark Emperor Hardin, Endless Battle, Insurrection, etc.

I'd also say there was much it didn't put much feeling into, but that's neither here nor there... But I thought Divine Decree was played too soon, Gangrel wasn't enough to warrant the use of a song like that, the only in the game I liked, as far as I got

Speaking of Divine Decree, I guess it's good and all but ever since I heard it the first time, it sounds the same to me as the Spiderman 2 trailer theme. Just a bit faster.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgrOgypc9g#t=108s.

It's at 1:48, in case the video doesn't load at the right spot... Anyway, the point is that this resemblance is quite off-putting. I can't help but think of Spiderman 2 whenever I hear it.

Edited by BrightBow

Speaking of Divine Decree, I guess it's good and all but ever since I heard it the first time, it sounds the same to me as the Spiderman 2 trailer theme. Just a bit faster.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgrOgypc9g#t=108s.

It's at 1:48, in case the video doesn't load at the right spot... Anyway, the point is that this resemblance is quite off-putting. I can't help but think of Spiderman 2 whenever I hear it.

This. I couldn't remember exactly where I'd heard Divine Decree before, but I knew I'd heard something almost exactly like it before. I guess this is where.

The main thing I disliked about Awakening's soundtrack was that it didn't really call back to previous games. If you look at the GBA and DS games, there are a lot of shared tracks (obviously redone for the DS, but still a lot of the same tracks, really). It really helps to unify the series, I think. I don't recall if the Tellius games shared many tracks with the GBA and DS games, and I don't have enough experience with the Jugdrali games or Gaiden to say whether they fit that trend, either, but I was disappointed that Awakening did not.

Undecided, but it's probably FE5 or FE10. Granted all of the games have good soundtracks, and there are a few from each I'm not particularly fond of.

Fire emblem 8 has my second favorite video game soundtrack, after ragnarok online.

Distant roads, grasp at victory, grim journey and rise above are perfect songs. And it even has Birth of the holy knight as a arena song!

Edited by Nobody

FE7 has Rise to the Challenge, Softly with Grace, the best rendition of the Bern theme, Distant Travels, Darkness Comes, and a ton of other good music...

FE4 has every enemy phase theme (Verdane, Thracia, Granvalle, etc), every boss theme, the recruitment theme, the chapter themes and the conversation themes...

FE9 has great boss themes (though I'm not so keen on A Mighty Foe), as well as Lion King Caineghis, Power-Hungry Fool and all of the other dialogue music. The only part I don't love is the battle themes, probably since there is no enemy phase theme; so much wasted potential, IMO.

Those three are probably my favorites, though honorable mentions to FE3, FE5, and FE10, which I don't like too well overall, but have some diamonds in the rough.