Serenes Arena Cup I (BALDRICK WINS)

Espinosa

Venno and one of Balthena (If they ever get around to duking it out that is!)

TBH Venno and Refa strike me as the underdogs of this tourney.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urgent changes to the rules due to the potentially breakable aspects of the metagame observed yesterday.

1. Nasir banned.

According to yesterday's poll, the largest group of voters (7/17) wants Nasir banned (4 want to see Ena banned as well).

No nerf or additional restriction (I mean, the previous ones were surprisingly detailed already), but a complete ban until we figure out how to integrate Nasir without hurting the metagame and its environment. Ena is unaffected by this, so you can try piling your skills on her and see how she compares.

2. Reinforce does nothing.

This is hardly necessary considering Reinforce isn't breaking anything ever, but even though bastardmons are fun to look at, generating their rounds repeatedly can get really annoying. You can talk a host into allowing Reinforce in an exhibition match outside the tourney if you like, but let's cut it out for now.

It's something I wish we didn't have to do, but the infinite battle risk makes it a necessary measure to take, I find.

I guess in the absolute worst scenario, an infinite battle could be ended in a tie, followed by a rematch with the proposed ruleset change?

Every round is seperate; it's not as if people who used Nasir would be at any disadvantage now.

Don't think Nasir needs a complete ban, but it is at least simpler than the current restrictions and banning skills or boosters would probably make him not worth the slot.

Still a huge walloper with 40 SP allowing to turn Adept/Vantage/Guard/Renewal into unbelievably powerful toys.

I think I won't touch the rules until the end of the tourney, as I've been urged by others, but if I see Nasir in one of the teams, I'll notify the other player that this is the case so that they can fight fire with fire, or prepare counters or whatever. Don't like the idea either though, so what I'd prefer is if we all just agreed to not use Nasir until we figured out what exactly should be done about him. Any testing can be done outside the tourney, so that nobody complains about losing unfairly or whatever. A ban just achieves the desired outcome perfectly, though.

Didn't we change rules already regauging NihilParity?

True. If we ever figure out the existing mechanics more accurately, they'll have to be updated in our execution ASAP and replace the wrong ones. This one's a matter of policy though, which is different. I'm not very fond of "don't change anything" attitude, but we're in this thing together so I'm not forcing any changes on anyone - just my usual initiative to get things done. So any more feedback or discussion on this would be nice.

I'm confused, what changes are being made WTR to Nasir (and is it just Nasir or Ena as well) and Nihil/Parity? Since I'm likely going to be using both of those in my next match if there are no changes, so yeah.

Needs more Dragonpikes

On a serious note; I think its bad to change rules mid tourney, and this is marking the second mid tourney rule change.

Edited by Elieson

Elieson was referring to how we found out that Nihil nullifies Parity, and how this knowledge was made public and spread around in the midst of the tourney. This isn't the only change in terms of mechanics awareness (Deadeye +accuracy boost not affected by Nihil being another one) that occurred during this event.

After hosting Shin vs. Horace (actually, before the game even ended), I noticed and pointed out that there is a possibility of having endless games assuming two Nasirs fight each other, which is not impossible, considering Nasir is one of the most popular characters right now, rivalling Giffca as the team's Laguz of choice (and not mutually exclusive with Giffca), and according to some a decisive unit in determining the outcome of the match. To make the endless match happen, both Nasirs (or Enas) should be running Renewal, and even if they have Energy Drops but no Dracoshields, the duel could still continue without end because they tend to whiff each other a lot while 6 HP is recovered each turn. Nasir loses 5 atk in Demi form, so the damage accumulated is insufficient to let any party win, probably after hundreds of turns, and as a result the battle can't be won. This scenario is impossible if one of the sides does not have Renewal on a dragon.

This inspired the second question of the current poll in the discussion topic; kinda urgent imho.