I don't get the Bravely Default hype.

ZemZem

From what I've heard, it's Final Fantasy without the Final Fantasy.

Haven't played it, but I don't think i'd be that interested in it

Yeah, hence my indifference. Im not a Final Fantasy person. The demo was ass and while the game looked like old school FF, i just didnt get to feeling the battle system. (which was the main reason i got the demo. Battle system with my RPGs is Serious Business.) It felt kind of dull and bland. I can see why its such a thing for RPG fans though. I always liked the weirder RPGs, so this doesnt blow my skirt up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just make sure you equip the knight's duel wield skill with it.

Wouldn't Katana Lore be better seeing as Katanas naturally get a higher crit rate? Plus, with Ninja's innate dual-wield skill I don't really see a use for the Knight's Two-Handed skill.

I'm waiting for it to be released in shops here in Brazil to buy it (should be in the end of the month).

I'd buy it on the e-shop, if I hadn't locked myself on the Brazilian e-shop, and now I'm unable to buy things cheaper on the canadian e-shop =(

If I'm going to buy a game for $75, I'll buy the retail copy.

What do you mean? I remember seeing it already here :/

online, because my city doesn't have a proper place to buy 3DS games

What do you mean? I remember seeing it already here :/

online, because my city doesn't have a proper place to buy 3DS games

http://www.livrariacultura.com.br/scripts/resenha/resenha.asp?nitem=42196723

It's not on fnac's site either, so I thought it wasn't released here yet, but I haven't been in any store that sells games in a while.

Wouldn't Katana Lore be better seeing as Katanas naturally get a higher crit rate? Plus, with Ninja's innate dual-wield skill I don't really see a use for the Knight's Two-Handed skill.

As I said before, I've only played the demo.

From my experience, with the ninja's skill that gets rid of the power penalty for duel wielding and the two handed skill, regular attacks were doing almost as much damage as my black mage's level 3 spells.

Unlike most demos the BD demo got people to skip over the game, it's that mediocre/bad(I liked it tho) What didn't you like about it?

Maybe YT the beginning of the game to see how different it is, the full game has no fetch quests whatsoever, lots of character development, fully voiced, things like that. I had a friend that had your same misgivings about the game based off of the demo, convinced him to buy it, and he basically loved it in less than an hour.

That being said if you're not a fan of turn based RPGs it'll be a hard sell. It's praised for being a fun romp through an old school RPG instead of the usual trainwrecks Square Enix has been making, it's a "solid" game at the very least. Akin to FF3 - FF6, if you liked those.

Edited by PKLucas531

black magic overall isn't too great unless the boss you're fighting has no mdef and your magic is super effective/you have a shitton of buffs

one thing i found about the game is that it really starts to get fun (and hard) once you're about 25 hours into the game since the job customability becomes much greater so you can come up with crazy stuff

black magic overall isn't too great unless the boss you're fighting has no mdef and your magic is super effective/you have a shitton of buffs

one thing i found about the game is that it really starts to get fun (and hard) once you're about 25 hours into the game since the job customability becomes much greater so you can come up with crazy stuff

Black Magic is great once you've gotten the Pierce Magic Defense skill from the Black Mage class.

I never actually tried the demo, I just bought the full game right away.

While the second half of the game feels extremely rushed (you'll know what I mean if you're past chapter 5 or so), I very much appreciate it for the one thing that a lot of recent JRPGs lacked for me - interesting battles. The Brave/Default system in itself is very simple, and yet it enhances the strategic involvement of the player during battles so much. The game is also very well balanced (unless you count the two or three party setups that completely break the game) - every class has its use (even the freelancer!), and I can't think of any fight in the game that I felt was cheap or unfair. In fact, if you're clever and the jobs you select for your characters synergize well together, you don't even ever need to grind (unlike offenders like FF3 or FF4, where beating the final bosses without roughly doubling your level through grinding in the final dungeon might as well be impossible).

Pierce Magic Defense (gotten at Blackmage job level 13, IIRC) makes your black mage go back to eating bosses for breakfast (and hilariously roflstomps that one boss who has 9999 MDEF). You can definitely get by without it, though.

As I said before, I've only played the demo.

From my experience, with the ninja's skill that gets rid of the power penalty for duel wielding and the two handed skill, regular attacks were doing almost as much damage as my black mage's level 3 spells.

Wait, Two-Handed skill doesn't give you a deficiency in damage.

Either one is good though, I've just seen a lot of people use Katana Lore on the Ninja and then dual-wield them for SOOPER CRITS.

1,000 folds of steel, bitch.

In fact, if you're clever and the jobs you select for your characters synergize well together, you don't even ever need to grind (unlike offenders like FF3 or FF4, where beating the final bosses without roughly doubling your level through grinding in the final dungeon might as well be impossible).

I've beaten FF4 without grinding...

Hayashi explained in an interview that the title Bravely Default means "have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you".

Edited by Refa

The DS version? Because it's way harder than the SNES version.

Fuck those blue dragons who could OHKO the whole party and would appear in groups of two or three >_>

Edited by Nobody

Fuck those blue dragons who could OHKO the whole party and would appear in groups of two or three >_>

Never played the DS version. Played the GBA version.

Then I'll have to ask what level you reach the moon at on average. (GBA version here, too.)

I'm usually somewhere in the low 30s when I reach the moon (~33 to 35). Heck, the random encounters there are so ridiculous I can't even get to Zeromus without grinding, but even if I were able to, I'm pretty sure even Cecil's HP are too low at Lv35 to survive even a single Big Bang. Heck, Rydia can't survive them until like the high 50s or low 60s.

On a side note, I do sometimes run from battles (so I may be slightly underleveled compared to the "average" player that never runs from battles), but Bravely Default doesn't require grinding even if you skip a lot of the random encounters.

Easier than the SNES version? No shit considering Final Fantasy "II" was horribly dumbed down.

If you mean the original release, then yeah, the DS version is still harder.

Never played the DS version. Played the GBA version.

You poor soul. GBA version is so buggy. (Europe and Japan's 1.1 release were better about that though).