Masquerade Part 2: Army of Darkness

Nanami Touko

Lanos' attempt to find his way back to the inn was not going well. He had a general idea of where the inn was but he wasn't entirely sure how to get there via travel by foot. Along with the fact that he now had to navigate the lifts, no longer had is aerial view, which made it much easier to find things, and had a tendency to follow the crowd when alone and lost, it was no surprise that he eventually had no idea where he was anymore. He was also aware of the few odd stares he was sure had been targeted at him and as such, did not want to ask for directions. They likely didn't trust him so he wouldn't trust them. At the sound of some stranger's voice Lanos turned around immediately and knew that if both his hands weren't busy holding Vriska one of them would be reaching for his barbed sword. "And just who are you, 'good sir' that you would want to help me?" Lanos asked, his expression and tone most probably more hostile than he intended. Trust had never been an issue with Makin's group because despite what he may have said, he always trusted Valha's word; however, complete strangers in a situation where he was at a disadvantage? No trust there.

Edited by Oersted

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Quiet Return

Makin found her way back to the inn, passing by Ingverd and Valha. She didn't make eye contact with either of them, as it was still slightly embarrassing for her. She quickly slithered into the inn and sat at a table alone, fussing over her thoughts. She was ready to leave as soon as everyone else was.

Duel Begin

Ingverd slowly stood as Valha returned, wondering where Lanos had gone. Perhaps Vriska's held him up more than he thought she would. Not a problem for me, of course. He gave Valha a moment to catch her breath, and then tossed one of the practice swords at her, the other in his right hand. "Alright, just some simple sparring. Watch my arm, and make sure to remember that this isn't about beating each other up, it's about practicing your swings." He spun the sword around a little, trying to get a feel for it. It hurt, of course, but he needed that hurt to stretch the muscles out again. Putting on his best defensive stance, he motioned for her to start. "Let's get this over with, eh? I'm sure you'll do plenty fine."

Valha tried to catch the practice sword, fumbling it a bit in her claws before managing to hold it correctly. She swiped at the air twice to see how it felt, before leaping towards Ingverd as soon as he seemed ready. However, her swing was a bit off, missing by a hair, and his counterstrike smarted quickly. "Ow! W-what the hell," she muttered, taken aback by her failure to fight effectively against him despite his injuries. A troubled expression on her face, Valha stepped back after her failed attack, waiting for his own onslaught.

The Past

Marty, too, toned down his voice as Makin came back in. Luckily, she was far away from the two of them, but she probably wouldn't enjoy him spilling her beans to their newest member. He reminded himself not to say much. "Oh, he was yer typical mercenary leader. Hearty, smart, good at fightin'. Bit judgemental of others, looked at books fer their covers and such. But a good man, all in all. I'd say she took a bit of a shine to 'im, really." He glanced over at her, making sure she wasn't paying attention. "I guess his age got to 'im, in the end. He was gettin' to his late fourties when he was killed. Shame, really. Poor girl was real torn over it. Most of us were, but I think it hit her the most."

Hard Fight

Ingverd did his best to dodge her swing, having to exert far more effort than he had been expecting. He'd never thought her weak, but he had thought himself good enough to dodge her. When she'd barely missed, he shivered, wondering if she was more than just strong. He countered, and got ready to swing again. "Keep on your toes, Valha!" He swung, hit, and took a hit back, not having been able to pull off the same trick twice. His arm wasn't appreciating the effort. It was getting tougher to swing the sword as he went along. "Alright, good hit. Come at me again!" He put the sword up, hoping he'd be able to dodge, as he was sure that parrying was out of the question.

Valha panted heavily after the second exchange of blows, upset that she was faring poorly in their duel. Maybe I didn't recover as easily from yesterday as I'd thought, she wondered, quickly dismissed the notion from her mind, advancing upon Ingverd again. This time she connected, and his counter attack seemed strained- noticeably enough for her to dodge it. "Ingverd, are you alright? I think we should stop for now... your arm is holdin' you back. Any more 'n you could really hurt it again, 'n that's no good for anyone." She put the training sword down and walked closer to look at his arm. "Ugh, it's on me you even have that. I don't think even trainin' now was a good idea... you think I'm reckless, but I know a problem when I see one, 'n that's one of 'em."

Fight Over

Ingverd took the hit and held back a groan. She hit hard. An attempt to swing back was made, but a dull pain in his arm made the swing more sluggish than he'd hoped, making it go wide. It was annoying, but he couldn't help it. Or perhaps he could, as Valha said they should stop. He sighed. It felt wrong to have to admit that she was right, but it was. I wonder how long these sorts of things last... But as to not worry her, he decided it was good to stop. "It's fine, it's fine. I was going to stop it soon anyway, but..." He cut himself off, a bit surprised that Valha said it was her fault. "Hey, don't think like that. You didn't let him grab you, it just happened. And... I just did what I thought was right, but I guess he was a bit more skilled than I'd thought him to be. I'll recover." He strung the practice sword back onto his belt, trying to flex his hand a bit. "I'm surprised you're not mad about it, really. If I'd missed, it could've gone pretty poorly... Guess I don't get to tell you to stop being reckless, any time soon."

"Well, that explains what happened this morning..." She almost asked about that event as well, but decided against it. Perhaps later, without asking about someone behind her back. "Still, thank you for the info. I felt like I needed to get a better sense for who I was going to be working for, and hearing you speak so highly of them is reassuring." Other answers would most likely come in time.

"Well, still, I gotta take some responsibility," Valha reasoned. She touched at her neck uncomfortably for a moment, paling slightly at the thought. "Huh, well, if you messed up it would've been the same if you didn't do anythin', so there wasn't a lot to lose on my end... I don't care if you call me reckless, because a lot of the time I am, but you can be too. Even if that was really all that could be done for me, so thanks."

Kendeall yawned and took a big stretch, groaning as he slowly woke back up. He didn't see Angus around, so he assumed that he left to go do other things. Shrugging, he stood up and went to find Makin, remembering that he'd left his Fire tome with her.

Granted, he didn't need to go far. She was pretty much right there, presumably telling a story or... something. Kendeall had no clue, since he was sleeping and all. "Oi, boss. You have that Fire tome of mine, right?" He asked groggily, still cracking his neck and fingers back into optimal place.

Edited by Polydeuces

High Talk

"Oh, well, of course I do. I worked with 'em! I might be a bit biased 'cause of that. But those were days long passed, and I'm a bit too old t'be walkin' around, swinging my axe like I used to. It's crazy what a few years and a broken leg can do to a fellow." He nodded to Sonia, glad that he was able to help someone out. It almost felt like his inn again.

Reckless

"If you must. I can't stop you from feeling the way you do about it, as much as I'd like to. Sorry." He stopped clenching his hand, and sighed. It seemed Valha hadn't realized how close he'd actually been to her with his sword. "You could put it that way. I'm glad I was far enough away from Vriska when she used her spell, otherwise it may have gone that way." He gulped, picturing such a situation for a moment, before shaking it away with a shake of his head. "I really won't though. Even if you are, I've gone and done something almost equally as reckless, so it wouldn't be fair, would it?" he said with an offered smile. Hearing her say thanks felt nice. "Let's head back in. I've a feeling we'll be going soon. Feel free to ask any time if you want to swing a sword around, even if I'm a bit injured. This injury, it won't last too long, promise."

He walked himself back into the inn and sat down at the bar, glancing at Sonia and Marty. Wonder how much she got out of him. Well, maybe she just wanted something to eat, but he's always been keen to answer questions as soon as they were asked... Oh well. With a small shrug, Ingverd attempted to relax.

Magical

Makin was expecting someone to talk to her, but not about that. "Uh, yeah. It's here, in my bag. I haven't gotten a change to look at it yet, sorry. D'you want it back?" She felt bad that he'd lent her his magic, only for her to not spend any time actually looking at it. It was a bit of a poor show. "Well... You don't mind if I hold onto it for a bit, do you? I can look through it while we're on our way to Felson. I'm sure we won't run into much trouble, so you won't need it at hand, and I'll make sure to give it back to you when I'm done." She took it out and started flipping through the first few pages. "I'll start right now, even. Before we get going. Sorry, just had a lot this morning, as you probably saw."

Edited by I have opinions

"Look, I'm not all that worried about all those little details. I mean, you gotta just be thinkin' long term, right? Don't be too hard on yourself," Valha responded. She followed Ingverd in and practically dove at the open couch, using her wings to obstruct any competition.

Quincy rolled his eyes at the hostile response. True, his motivations were self interested, but there wasn't any malicious intent in his offer. "Just a curious traveler in look of some work. If you're not interested in taking me up on my offer, then I'll be heading towards the inn," he replied honestly. "With my luck though, all of the rooms will have already been booked," Quincy muttered angrily. This was just not his day.

Edited by Refa

Lanos considered declining the stranger's offer and then tailing him anyway to see if he was truly headed for the inn before deciding it'd be incredibly easy to lose the man amongst all the people and it'd be extremely awkward if the man happened to turn around and see him. It's not like I have much of a choice but to trust him... Lanos thought, not happy about that fact; though, when compared to the thought of wandering around until his arms fell off it was obviously the preferred choice. "Fine, I'll take you up on your offer. Lead the way."

Edited by Oersted

"Whatever you say, boss," Quincy replied. The crowds were rather heavy at this time of the day, which made it virtually impossible for any tourist to navigate through. Luckily Quincy knew his way around the place, and even a few shortcuts that would allow them to bypass the crowd and get through the inn faster. After a rather uncomfortable ten minutes or so, he'd finally arrived at this destination. Turning back to make sure he hadn't lost his passenger along the way, he noticed the harpy wearily following behind. "You know, I never did introduce myself. I go by Quincy myself, how about you?"

Edited by Refa

Lanos scowled at the boss comment but didn't do anything else. As he followed the man through town there seemed to be even more people than before, though it could've been that he had just been trying to ignore the fact that there were so man people. Whenever he was led away from crowd into what he assumed was a 'shortcut' he would glance behind himself at random intervals on the off chance it was a trap. To Lanos' relief, his fears proved false and they arrived at the inn after a short while, neither of them having said anything which Lanos was perfectly fine with. "I'm Lanos and, although you didn't ask, the girl on my back is Vriska." Lanos took a few steps ahead of Quincy before turning around and asking, "you said you're looking for work right? What kinda work?" It was an oddly kind thing to do, but Lanos figured if he helped the man find work, assuming he wanted to be part of a mercenary group, they'd be even.

"You heard right. As for what kind of work, the simplest explanation would be that I'm a mercenary of sorts," Quincy replied. While this was technically true, it did belie the various trades he was proficient in. As they entered the inn, Quincy said, "I've been meaning to ask you, why are you carrying that girl-erm, Vriska- on your back? Did she pass out?"

Edited by Refa

"Well I could probably help you then, since I'm a mercenary. Though convincing Makin, er, my boss might be a little difficult..." Lanos entered the inn on the lookout for axes-and-magic-man and wasn't pleased when he saw him talking to Makin. Perhaps he could drop Vriska somewhere before he was seen... "Oh, I gave her a ride and she fell asleep on my back afterwords. Apparently I'm a good pillow or something. Hey, could you get her off my back? My arms are killing me." Looks like I was right about it being plenty of exercise... Whether or not Quincy did what he asked Lanos figured he send Quincy over to Makin. "Oh, that's my boss over there," Lanos pointed at Kendeall and Makin. "It's the naga by the way."

Kendeall shrugged; not much harm in letting the boss hold onto his tome for the time being, especially if they knew they weren't going to run into any trouble. "Sure. But if we get attacked while we're on the road, I'm snatching it back up." The axeman noted, as he headed outside the inn to stretch.

"Surely you don't need my help, you look like you've got another hour or two left in you," Quincy said sarcastically. Despite his words, he did end up helping pull Vriska off of Lanos' back and onto an adjacent coach. "I follow you. Don't get the impression that the other one would be able to command much of anything really. Well, better go and smooth things over," He said in response to Lanos pointing out his boss. Walking over deliberately so that her eyes turned over to him, he stopped a few feet in front of Makin and said, "New mercenary for hire, starting price is negotiable after the first few battles, the weapon on my back's the one that I use in battles, and the name's Quincy. All that's left is for you to accept or reject my offer."

Edited by Refa

Face Vs. Couch

Vriska, half awoken by being carried, met the couch and Valha's outstretched wing, as the woman had taken over the furniture. Without thinking much, she felt the soft wing of another harpy, and decided to cling onto it without squeezing. A pillow was a pillow, afterall.

What The...?

Kendeall said his piece and left, so Makin started actually reading the tome. It didn't make much sense, but she tried! Though it didn't last long, as another axe wielding man came up to her, said his piece and left her with a bit of a gaping stare at him. She made to point at Kendeall to say they already had someone to swing around an axe, but he'd left the inn rather quickly. Makin wasn't too keen on more help for her personal problems, nor was she keen on having to figure out payment for yet another person. "We're going to Felson and you face a pretty good chance of dying," was what she said to him. "If that doesn't deter you, then you can come along."

"If I cared about my life, I wouldn't have become a mercenary in the first place," Quincy said wryly as he moved along to get a drink. Presumably he had been inducted into the group, so time to do what he came to the inn for in the first place. Well, besides acquiring a room, but presumably the company already had rented out a set of rooms anyways.

Edited by Refa

Valha had closed her eyes and relaxed as soon as she'd gotten couch control, but was alarmed to find an unwelcome visitor clinging to her. She yelped at the unexpected contact with her wing, pulling it back to herself immediately. "Hey, watch it! You could've hurt me... wings are more fragile than anythin' you people have, you hear?" She sniffed at it and straightened her feathers out, sitting up straight with a haughty huff. "Huh! Some people..."

Maja found herself at a clearing somewhere in the lower part of the city --assuming she was still in the city anymore, she did not quite know.

Sighing, she decided to lay down and look at the sky. With some trees blocking the morning sun, the visage was pretty and peaceful enough to lightly lift the girl's mood.

I wonder what I was thinking... I just don't get these things... She sighed, her head trying to sort out how much guilt she felt from Raith's diss, her own cluelessness, and how she internalized those feelings. I think dad said keeping it inside was no good, but... can I even talk about these with the others? For all I know my best friend here is a ghost... not that he's a bad person, but... Maja puffed her cheeks thinking about the topic, letting out a sigh after some reflection.

What am I even here for? I've been travelling for more than a year, and still nowhere closer to 'enlightenment' than when I started. I'm still clueless old me... and it took me forever to find a single ghost, maybe I'm just not cut out for this. She shifted in the grass some, it was hard to overcome the negativity in her head still. Figures all I'm really good for is for healing, it's the only thing I've learned since I was really young... She sighed at her continuously down-putting thoughts. ...But now I'm trying. I've come somewhere, so all I did is making a difference. I have to... just keep trying. He is watching me, I might improve after all if I keep trying... it's hard, but it is how it is.

She laid sideways at that point, vaguely looking at the rustling grass while her mind wandered further. Yeah, something like that... I've been trying new things, after all, like mercenary work, talking to ghosts, even these clothes... Not everything is going to be so easy right away, I guess. Just... need more patience, even if people get annoyed at me again. It seemed her rather long introspective moment had stopped there, the girl once more staring at the sky.

It didn't take much for her to drift off to a nap after the mental exercise. Maja did not feel much better, but the calmness of the place let her mind drift off from the negativity, slowly. A single tear slid down the girl's face as she napped her anguishes.

Still Asleep

Vriska simply curled herself onto the couch, unable to hold onto Valha's wing in her tired state.

Moving Out

The rest of the mercenaries made their ways to the inn eventually, and Makin chided Ingverd for not managing to get torches for their trip. He shrugged and smirked, complained about always having to do her shopping as a lovely cover for what he'd actually spent his money on. She eventually stopped and got everyone to move out, waving a goodbye to Ward. Civilized living was something they weren't going to see for a while.

Despite the thought of Ertel being on the minds of some on the road, nothing happened through the rest of the forest. It was an uneventful walk, which could've been classed as rather boring. Nonetheless, it was a safe walk for all. Days later, the plains encroach into the exit of the woods, and you all see a wonderful rush of wind over a vast plain, extending out over the horizon. Lush grash, bright sun, small rolling hills here and there. None of you can see any groups of centaurs, the ones that are known to inhabit the plains. Perhaps they remain away from the woods, as their disposition is quite different from the ones living within the trees.

You all make travel along the plains, walking around and over the hills, and a few days later, you all set up a small camp. Night is settling in, and Makin judges by how long you've all been walking that you're at least halfway to Felson, and that some real rest is in order. She orders Ingverd to throw out the blankets, and gets a fire going. There aren't any hills surrounding your campsite, so there's no risk of a group of less than pleasant centaurs sneaking up in your sleep...as long as someone's on watch.

8788d.png

Makin leaves no time relaxing herself by the fire. "Ingverd, go get some more firewood, would you? There were a few trees past the hill, over there. I think. I swear I saw some on the way."

"What? Why can't you? I'd say we're all as tired as each other." Ingverd was obviously getting a bit tired of getting ordered to do everything.

"Because I'm the boss, and I can't exactly climb a tree, if the branches are too low." She cocked an eyebrow at him. "Or have you forgotten what my lower half looks like, already?"

He sighed. "Fine. Not going alone, though, not at dusk in the middle of the plains. Alright!" He stood himself up from the fire, looking around the group. "Who's coming with me?" Perhaps Lanos or Valha, since they can fly. Would make scaling the tree easier... Then again, flying in the dark might end up with them shoving themselves onto a branch... Hmm. Whoever volunteered, he'd take with him, unless no one did. Then he'd have to force hands.

Content with her orders, Makin decided to lay herself down in front of the fire, resting on her elbow and wagging the tip of her tale. The fire was nice.

Vriska remained sat near the back, as per usual, reading through her thunder tome. She sure was dedicated.

Edited by I have opinions