Masquerade Part 2: Army of Darkness

Nanami Touko

Exotic Tastes

Isabella slumped onto the table, before regaining her footing and standing up straight. "Alas, eh? Well, I might have something back here for you, hold on..." She disappeared down below the table, rummaging about. A few sounds of scuffling about and she was standing back up, holding a rather odd colored fruit. It bore the shape of an apple, but was colored purple, and looked in pristine condition. "This is an Ever Fruit. Its magics keep it from rotting, and it's said to be rather delicious. Unfortunately, whenever someone bites ones, the fruit loses its magic, and rots immediately. You get the effects of the magic, of course, and one delicious bite, but that's about it. Heard it's good for your health, and vitality. Thousand gold." She set the fruit down on the table.

"If I see this Ingverd, I'll make sure he hires me. I'm not going to let this chance slip away; you're the only group that's been through here in months. I grow tired of waiting for another."

Edited by I have opinions

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lanos shrugged. He'd said he was going to buy something and if this was what he got, well, that was just going to have to work. "Deal," Lanos said putting the red gem on the table, taking the Ever Fruit in exchange. He'd wanted some leftover money from the gem, but he'd promised not to barter. "You'd probably be able to tell it was him on sight, not sure how many other elves carry three swords and are out and about tonight." And with that Lanos headed back to the inn on foot, not trusting his eyes given how dark it was. The last thing he needed was to hit a tree on his way back. The first thing he noticed when he walked back into the inn was that Valha and magic-and-axes man were no longer fighting over the couch and the second was that he'd left his spare clothes at the table. Although he intended to just quickly grab his clothes and head up to bed the pull of the chair was too overwhelming. At this rate he was going to end up asleep at the table.

Edited by Oersted

"You'd be surprised, hun." Isabelle quickly pocketed the gem, ready to sell it off to some collector for a silly amount of cash. It wasn't anything special, but she was sure there'd be one out there who'd take it. She waved bye to Lanos, a bit disappointed that she didn't find anyone to speak to about employment. Though, someone was just strolling up as Lanos was leaving...

The rest of the mercenaries, either tired or ready for sleep, found their ways to empty rooms, much to the pleasure of Marty. They slept soundly through the night, and weren't woken early, getting to enjoy their rest.

The Morning After

The sun rises on Ward like a warm hug, slowly creeping through windows. It isn't jarring enough to wake any of you, but anyone that did wake and make their way downstairs would find Ingverd sitting alone at the bar, enjoying himself a piece of toast, and Makin, speaking with Isabelle at a nearby table. It would seem that the elf had found her and promised her a meeting, that she was currently having.

Makin did not seem very pleased, but at least the concept of a merchant to carry their extra supplies was always promising. The payment was not.

"Listen, it's like I said, I won't ask for much. I'm really in it to see a good show, is all. You keep me fed and alive and I'll not ask for a coin more." Isabelle knew what she was getting herself into, or at least she thought she knew. Having never seen actual combat up close, and only having read about it didn't give one a chance to really know.

Makin grumbled to herself, glared at Ingverd --who didn't react past taking another bite of toast--, and she finally sighed. A small wave of her hand to signify that it was alright. She supposed. "If you do something stupid or get yourself in danger, you're not coming along past that. I'm all for keeping my company safe, as long as they don't put themselves into trouble on purpose. Not without something to gain from it. And I'll promise you, 'a good show' is not worth your life. So make sure you and your cart are firmly planted behind us."

Isabelle nodded with a smile, and proceeded to leave, probably to go and gather her things. Makin glared furiously at Ingverd again, who nonchalantly whistled and looked at the ceiling. "Not my fault, boss. With how big this group's getting, having someone to hold onto stuff is going to be a necessity, sooner or later. Besides, why not an elf? You can trust us." He flashed a toothy grin.

Makin stuck her tongue out and then slumped onto the table.

Angus rubbed his eyes as he made his way downstairs, apparently he was one of the first awake this time. He'd managed to sleep off whatever he had, so apparently going to sleep early worked. Glancing around... there really was nobody here. Just the boss, some woman and Ingverd. He considered just going up to the boss and the other woman and asking who the she was, but considering her posture, Makin probably didn't want to be disturbed right now. He decided to take a seat next to Ingverd at the bar and ask him what was going on instead. "Morning..." he let out a yawn. "Who's the lady talking to the boss? She seems... way too happy for this hour."

Kadin appeared downstairs not too long after Angus. Deciding he didn't really feel like a followup on the previous night's conversation right now, he went and stood near Makin. "Uh... right, boss, just real quick, do you need me for anything? If not..." he shrugged. "I might disappear for a while. Maybe walk around the woods for a while. Something."

Identity

"Think you mean who was. You that tired?" Ingverd asked with a mouth full of toast before he swallowed. "She's an elf named Isabelle, wanted to see some fighting and is apparently skilled enough to organize our extra stuff. Boss wasn't too keen on hiring someone who she considers to effectively be a civilian, but we're going to need someone like that, with how big our group's been getting." He stretched and leaned forward, wanting to see if his arm still hurt. It did, quite a bit. He frowned. "Anyway, just get something in you. Long walk, coming up."

Ghostly Business

"No, nothing in particular," Makin said, surprised that Kadin was talking to her. "You've seemed pretty aloof recently. You alright? As long as you disappear only for a while and not for good, go ahead and do what you'd like." She sat herself back up, as talking to someone slumped on a table would probably be awkward.

Maja let her room in hight spirits. It was clear that what bothered her subsided, and it was reflecting on the girl's mood.

"Good morning!" She raised a V-sign as she reached downstairs, except it was pretty empty. She was one of the first to sleep, after all. With that in mind, she wasted no time approaching Makin. "Hello, boss! When are we expected to start moving, again?" She spoke, and turned to the ghost in the room as she realized his presence. "Oh, hi Kadin! How are you feeling today?"

Kadin frowned, struggling for the right words to explain when Maja came down. Mentally cursing, he shrugged in response to Makin. "I'm... fine. Just... gaining back memories is more of a burden than I would have expected. And Felson... is somehow important to me. If I think on it too long, it takes over my mind. It's the most potent thing I have in my mind right now. So I just... need a break I think." Hopefully that was vague enough that Maja wouldn't start worrying about him.

Lanos awoke earlier than he thought he would. He tried to recall what had happened last night, most of it was unclear, though he remembered making a point to apologize to Ingverd and promising Vriska a ride on his back. Currently though, he was still too tired to be bothered to do much of anything at the moment other than preen his somewhat ruffled feathers. If someone needed him, they were going to have to come and get him.

Kendeall awoke on the couch he'd snatched last night. Seemed that he'd left his stuff on the floor, which... surprisingly didn't bother him. "Gnuuuuuuu... morning, guys. Man, that couch was comfier than I thought it would be..."

Valha was among the first awake, but not downstairs- she had to be ready for the day, after all! After checking to make sure her feathers, hair, new clothes, and plentiful pieces of jewelry looked right several times, she made her way downstairs, taking her time. "Mornin', boss!" she greeted, looking around for who else was around. "Lanos not up yet? Well, it was a long day yesterday. But now it's a new one!" She sat down by Ingverd and Angus. "Hmm, what to eat... maybe some fruit, or somethin'."

"Huh, if you need your break, then you really should. If you need something to distract you, well, maybe you could practice with that lance you make, or something." Maja replied, slightly concerned for Kadin. If it turned out to be a big problem, it could mean he wouldn't be able to find out about his past, that was serious!

Breakfast

"Well, aren't you pretty this morning," Ingverd said as guess who came downstairs. "Breakfast's on Marty, just ask him for what you want. Except fruit, I don't think he's got even a banana back there." The innkeeper frowned, but didn't say anything. A worrying sign. "Oh!" Ingverd suddenly exclaimed, "Lanos bought some weird purple fruit at the market, last night. Saw him on my way back to the inn. Maybe he'll share it with his favorite flier?" Ingverd cracked a half smile, before stuffing the smile with some more toast.

Break

Makin frowned, but wasn't going to press him for it. "I can't say I understand what you're going through, Kadin, so I won't try to act like I do. If you need to take some time to work on your mind, go ahead. Just make sure you don't miss us when we leave, alright? I think Maja's gotten a bit attached to you." She glanced at the small healer, still proud of her hard work. "Wouldn't do for out most diligent member to suddenly get depressed, would it?"

After a while of preening, and even longer sitting around trying to muster enough effort to pull himself out of the bed, Lanos finally managed to do as such. Quickly throwing on his spares, and making a note to wash his favorites, Lanos went downstairs still trying to rub the sleepiness out of his eyes. Surprisingly there weren't all that many people up yet though both Valha and Ingverd were up. Looks like that apology wasn't happening anytime soon. "Hey," he greeted as he sat down near the trio, absentmindedly pulling out the Ever Fruit and pondering if he was hungry enough to eat the thing.

"Aww, thanks. Lanos bought fruit? Did it look any good?" Her timing turned out to be good, as Lanos sat down and procured the item in question. "Hey, Lanos! Are you gonna eat that? It looks good, 'n I was really hopin' for some fruit but there isn't any. Oh, but if you want it that's fine too, I guess."

"Hey," Ingverd responded with more mouthfuls of food, making sure to swallow before he spoke more. He almost choked a bit when he saw what fruit Lanos actually had, coughing before he managed to get himself under control. "That's an Ever Fruit! Isabelle sold you one of those? You lucky bird." He was a bit astounded that their new caravan had something so rare hidden away in her box of goodies, but having seen the gem at Isabelle's stand when he spoke to her the night before, he at least knew what the bird had given up for it.

"Hm... well... I trust Kadin. If he says it's bad for him to keep thinking about it... well, I wish I could help, but if he needs to distract himself that's ok too." Maja replied, still processing Makin's compliment.

"M-most diligent? I don't know... I just tried harder, we have one less healer after all." She said, a bit embarassed.

Edited by Xinnidy

If given a chance, Sonia would have slept through a much larger part of the morning. Unfortunately, these mercenaries would probably want to leave somewhat early, and with some difficulty she pulled herself from the bed and down the stairs, grunting out "Good morning" to nobody in particular. She found an unoccupied chair and made more of an effort to wake up.

"Ever Fruit? What's that?" Valha asked, puzzled. "Just looks like a different colored apple to me, yeah? 'N apples come in all sorts of colors. Is it really somethin' special?"

Mornings...They were never Raith's strong suit. Over the years he had tried to make a habit out of getting up early to attend to Ophelia, but it was a wretched chore that he hated fulfilling. It took all sorts of effort to crawl out of bed and fight against the cold wind of the morning. It didn't matter if it was in the dead of winter or the middle of summer, it was always cold in the morning. Always. It was only on rare occasion that he'd be able to wake up early, and that was usually only when he had a lot on his mind.

He could hear muddled conversation taking place downstairs, so he figured it was time to get up. "Ugh...what a drag," he said quietly to himself, as he attempted to get ready. He threw open the door to his room, but he underestimated the force he used to open it, and the door bounced right back striking him square in the face. "Ow, shit!" he cried out. He tried again, pushing the door out more slowly and deliberately this time. He held a hand to his nose in an attempt to subdue the pain and walked down to where the others were gathered. Not bothering to check who was around, he sat down at a random table, and let his face fall onto his arm. With any luck, he might be able to fall asleep again.

Why'd I even bother getting up..?

"I was thinking about it, but if you want it go ahead," Lanos replied, holding the Ever Fruit out for Valha to take; though he felt as if he was forgetting some vital piece of information. However, after Ingverd's little coughing fit, after which he mentioned the ever fruit, Lanos remembered. "Oh I hope you didn't want it for breakfast. Taking a second bite could have... dire consequences."

"Can't have a second bite? Well, the first one better be good, huh?" she asked, taking the apple- or Ever Fruit, so it was apparently called- carefully and analyzing it to try and get the most possible out of what she could, eventually taking as big of a bite as she could manage. It tasted delightful and had an odd feeling with it after, but she was surprised to see the remained of the apple shrivel up in her claws. "Aww, what the hell? This some sorta magical food...? Well, thanks for it, Lanos. I feel better from eatin' it, like I don't have as much out there that could hurt me." She smiled confidently. "You bought it? Maybe I've got somethin' to trade for it then, yeah? It's only fair." Valha thought about it for a moment, then took out the strange statuette she had stolen the day before. "I don't know what this is, but it's probably worth somethin'. It looks real nice. Want it?"

"That's why I told you only on bite. It's supposed to increase your vitality or something like that," Lanos said, feeling somewhat glad he wasn't the one to eat the fruit, if only because that meant it didn't rot while he was holding it. Rotten flesh had already been on his hands and he didn't want to add another rotten item to the list. Yeah, I bought it alright, Lanos inwardly groaned, taking note to never promise not to argue over the price. "What's that, trade?" Lanos asked as he snapped out of his thoughts. "Sure," Lanos said as he waited to see what Valha had in mind, not all that surprised when she presented him with the statuette from yesterday. "Yeah, I'll take it. Maybe I'll even find out what it does," Lanos said.

Edited by Oersted

Joel entered the inn, stretching as he did so. Nearly everyone seemed to be up, if not necessarily about, by now. He made his way over to where Makin and Maja were chatting. "Morning Boss, Maja. Do you feel better today?" Joel wondered idly what the plan was after reaching Felson. He was faintly aware of some discussion going on last night, but having dozed off soon after Maja had retired he had no idea whether it had been important or not.

Fruit

Valha had gone and eaten it, what little she could eat, before Ingverd had a chance to flaunt his knowledge and explain the thing to her. A shrug would suffice. She then mentioned a statue and he quickly opened his mouth for an explanation, but, upon seeing it, had little idea of what it was. Wasn't that the thing she snagged at the fight? I think I said it might've been a good luck charm, or something. Damn. I really wish I had a better idea of what those little things do. Feeling a bit dispirited he just continued to eat, while frowning.

Sleepyheads

Makin waved hi to all the new entrances to the room: Sonia, Joel, and Raith, who'd she'd cringed for when he exclaimed upstairs. Whatever had happened didn't sound incredibly pleasant. "I'd say you're the most diligent. You're the only one who passed out after that fight, and not due to any lacks in stamina. You keep up like that and maybe you'll get yourself a raise." Makin was lying, of course, she never gave anyone more than anyone else as long as the lot pulled their weight. But it was reassuring words for the girl, who didn't seem like she had all that much faith in her abilities as a mercenary. She had more guts than many people Makin had encountered.

Explanation

The small monotony at the inn was disrupted almost immediately, as the door swung open and Markus strode inside. He locked eyes with Makin, scowled, and sighed. "I was informed you were going to leave town, without as much a word. Seeing as you're back, I expect your little excursion went well at the fort. I'd have your head if you survived and it hadn't. But now you're heading to Felson? Makin, there are plenty of things I'd like explained, and now. You come to town on a fever mission to exterminate bandits, you refuse to listen to reason, and now you're making a beeline to Felson for no reason?" He cocked one of his scowling eyebrows. It made little sense to him. Sure, she had a fairly large sense of justice, but she never would've endangered an entire city over bandits, nor traveled so quickly and so much. Markus had known her for a while and it wasn't adding up.

Makin was awake now, whatever sleepiness that had still been inside of her immediately leaving upon Markus' barrage. She pulled herself away from the table, and without a word, waved for him to follow her outside. She made to pass him, but he grabbed her hand, and held his place. "Whatever you have to say, your mercenaries can hear it as well. I'm sure some of they might not be comfortable following someone that isn't willing to explain themselves."

She shot her own rather annoyed scowl up at him, but she didn't really have any words to respond to that. A worried glance back at everyone and then quickly back to him was making her wonder if she really had to let it all out. Her eyes finally laid themselves on Ingverd, who was trying his best not to look at her. "You didn't, you little!" She grabbed him by the back of his shirt and dragged him away from the counter. "You told him we were leaving, didn't you?"

Ingverd groaned, and looked away. "Yeah, so? You can't just drag all these people around for your own personal reasons. You know how much trouble we might get into if you bring that to Felson, and I couldn't get them involved without their consent. So I told Markus, last night, while I was in the market." He finally looked at her. "Better let them know."

With much distress Makin let him go, and threw herself onto the couch, sighing and using a free hand to mess with her hair.