Masquerade Part 2: Army of Darkness

Nanami Touko

Raith barely managed to pick his head up in response to hearing the sudden outburst of noise coming from a rather loud man, and an equally as loud snake. He had a look on his face that partly read "holy hell, what could you people possibly be arguing about this early in the morning?" and "someone please tell them to shut up".

He tried to look at who exactly was doing said arguing, but his eyes refused to stay open. He let out a yawn and began to rub at his eyes. Hell, he was rubbing so hard someone could easily make the mistake of assuming he was trying to gouge out his eyes...or something to that effect. I'm so hungry...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Increased vitality? So it's harder for me to get tired?" Valha was puzzled with how an apple could manage to do that. "So it is magic, I guess? Can magic do that? Can magic do everythin'?" But she gave him the statuette anyway despite her confusion, careful to be gentle with it. The centaur's entry didn't do anything to ease her mind, however. Who is this guy 'n why's he angry at the boss? Did she lie to him? Only when Ingverd mentioned a name- Markus- did her memory chime in. "Boss, is this your friend? What's goin' on?" Edited by Reinfleche

Kadin just stared dully at the new person who'd entered the inn. It didn't really matter to him where they went or why they were going there. The man's anger might have normally sparked some interest but he was just so out of things right now that it barely triggered any notice. He considered leaving but decided that if he was part of this group he should stay around for right now.

Makin looked rather annoyed, so Joel went to where Ingverd was recovering. "What's the problem? Does Makin have some history in Felson we should know about?"

Edited by Baldrick

"I think so? That's the best way I can think to phrase it," Lanos replied, wondering if perhaps he should've asked for a detailed explanation when he bought it. "Well, magic can do a lot of things, so I'm not surprised it can give vitality to someone." Lanos carefully took the statuette in his hand. Looking at it closer, the thing was beautifully crafted and along with the fact Valha had given it to him, he had no intention of parting with it. Ever. Instead he stowed it in his pocket for the time being, making a mental note to procure materials for a better way of securing the statuette to his person later.

The current argument between Makin, Markus and Ingverd concerned Lanos. He trusted Makin, enough to reveal his past to her at least, yet she couldn't trust any of them sans Ingverd? It made him wonder just how terrible of a thing it actually was if she had to keep it under such tight wraps. Frowning, he folded his arms across his chest but said nothing.

Edited by Oersted

There was a lot that Sonia didn't know about these people, but the thought of the boss keeping something big from all of them hit a nerve. "What else is going on here? Why hide it?" It's too early for there to be this much happening...

Reasons

Ingverd brushed himself off from the brusque grabbing that Makin had given him. "It's not her history in Felson. It's what she's planning on doing when she gets there."

She hissed openly at him, still upset that he'd said anything at all. Markus glared at her, not about to say anything else, but he made sure he was planted squarely in the way of the exit. If she was going to do this, she'd have everyone agree with her beforehand.

"Fine," she said, with venom on her tongue. She reached into a pocket on her armor and produced a small piece of fabric. It bore a crest, though not one that anyone there would've known. It was two lances, crossed, holding back a rather menacing looking serpent. It bore its fangs in a position almost ready to strike. She sighed, as she hadn't wanted to say anything on the matter, but Ingverd and Markus had forced her hand. For the sake of the mercenaries there, it was good that they had. "This...crest. It was on the back of the hood of that necromancer that we dealt with about a week ago. It struck me as odd, and I'd sworn at the time that I'd seen it before, so I tore it off and brought it with me." She stuffed it back into her pocket and crossed he arms. "I had. When I got here, after discussing with Markus about the bandits, I showed it to him and asked if he knew what it was. I'm surprised he didn't catch on back then, but no matter. It's the crest of the Royal Felson Guard. The folks that never leave the upper rung of the city."

It appeared that she was getting a bit less annoyed, probably feeling better that she was getting something this large off her chest. "I was going to Felson to confront the council about it. That might not sound like a big deal to you, right? 'Boss, why are you so mad that you kept this a secret'? Something like that." She shivered. "Problem is, is that if you do something like that, especially if you're just some mercenary; especially if you're just some naga, you'll be put to death for accusing their oh so righteous selves. I was planning on bringing you all there in search of work, and then going to them myself. I wouldn't have wanted to get you all in danger over my own--"

"Here's the best part--"

"Shut it!" she snapped at Ingverd. "I don't care how long ago it was! I can still remember that night, and I'll never forget! The man that killed Gerrod had the same damn crest on his cloak, alright!? And I'll be damned if I go on ignoring this, when they've now got necromancers roaming about, raising the dead!"

Markus sighed. He'd been able to piece together what she'd planned to do, but not for that reason. "You're only going to get yourself killed. If they were responsible, then what? What will you do against the council, on your own?"

"And, come on," Ingverd chimed in, "I cared about the man, too, but I'd be crazy to throw my life away in a vain attempt at revenge."

Makin only glared at Ingverd, responding to Markus, "I don't know. But I can't do nothing." She turned her gaze to the rest of the mercenaries. "There, now you all know. If you all want to stay here or leave, then make your choice. I know what I'm going to do, and I'll figure out the rest when I get there!" She jumped off of the couch and made to leave. This time, Markus moved out of the way, letting her do so. She was almost crying, but she wasn't going to let herself look that weak in front of anyone. She left, and the door to the inn slammed shut.

Ingverd couldn't do much but sigh. "Wish it hadn't come to this. I won't blame any of you if you leave!" he called out to the room, "but she probably has something more than just barging in planned. Even if she doesn't have it planned now, she will. Sounds stupid, but that's always how she is." Markus nodded at what Ingverd was saying. "So, I guess... I'm just trying to get you to stay, honestly. Wish she'd been more open about that from the start. All this over that man, really..."

Edited by I have opinions

As soon as Makin pulled out the crest, Kadin had stopped listening almost completely. He stared straight at the crest, eyes wide, mind racing. That crest. He knew that crest. Why did he know that crest? He realized that he was shaking, and tried very hard to stop, but wasn't completely able to. As Making rushed out, he raced after her. Leaving the inn, he called after her, "Boss. Boss I know that crest. Boss. I don't know why but I do and I'm starting to get worried here. I don't... I don't know if I should continue with you all."

"Aww, what the hell did she stay quiet for? She had to have known as soon as I heard, I'd be in on it!" Valha boasted proudly. She glanced at the phantom running out the door oddly, then to the rotted apple she hadn't yet tossed, dropping it in the trash. "Anyway, I'm still in this for good, you hear? Anythin' that'd get rid of those guys is a plan I wanna be a part of, no doubt about it! Just like what we were talkin' about yesterday. Hey, Ingverd, why didn't you say somethin' if you knew? Were you coverin' the boss's tail?" Edited by Reinfleche

It was a tough decision. This wasn't what Joel had signed up for; on the other hand, where would he find another mercenary group at such short notice? He headed out the door without a word. Either way, Felson was the still the place to head, but he thought to talk with Makin first. Seeing and hearing the ghost just ahead of him, he stopped and moved carefully around him. "Kadin, was it? If it's something that triggers your memory, shouldn't you be following it up?"

Kendeall, who'd passed out on the couch again, woke up once more, having just now noticed that there were a bunch of voices going on about some crest... "Oy, what'd I miss? Anything important?" He asked, still not sure if he should mention anything about the crest... or the weird dream he had about an ice cave.

"If you can... I mean... If that's what you have planned, you'll need all of the help you can get. I'm in." Sonia wasn't entirely sure if the boss knew what she was getting in to, but for a fledgeling bard, this opportunity was too good to miss.

As Makin's reasons were explained Lanos' frown faded, for the most part, into his usual blank expression. As much as he was against the idea of revenge, he had no real reason to be upset as from the sound of things only Makin would be in harm's way. "You can count me in for the long run. Quitting just because things might get risky... well, life is risky anyway. Might as well get something out of it, right?" It's not like I'd have much of anything else to do if I quit now anyway.

Edited by Oersted

Crest

Makin froze as Kadin came after her, stopping to listen. A glare met him as he said he knew the crest. It took her a moment to think of what to say in response to that, but finally, she said, "meet me at Hilda's in a while. I'll listen to anything you have to say, and perhaps she can help." Joel had walked out after them, and she didn't particularly want to talk to anyone else right now. She quickly hopped onto an elevator and pulled the lever, letting it drop her down below, before anyone else could follow her. She needed some time to think things over, instead of working just off of emotion. What did you get yourself into, Gerrod, that the council'd send someone to kill you?

Relief

Ingverd let out a sigh and a smile as almost everyone in the room agreed to stay, despite the rather ridiculous plan that had been set out in front of them. "I guess you could say that, Valha. Almost let her get away with it, had I not run into Markus last night. I trust her, I've known her for a while, but this was just too crazy to let sit on just my conscience. And Markus handled it better than I ever would've. Her tail's too big for just one person to cover." He scoffed at his silly joke, leaning into a chair as Kendeall spoke up about having missed everything. "Long story short, we're probably going on what might end up being a suicide mission. Next time, try to stay awake for the details."

He was even more surprised that Lanos and Sonia had agreed to come along, the former being a bit of a coward, the the latter being incredibly new. "You two sure? Lanos, you're not going to turn tail and flee at the first sign of trouble, right?" He made sure to wink and smile at the bird, wanting to make sure he knew he was joking. "And Sonia, you just joined up, there's no shame in backing out of something this... Well, stupid." Less smiles, no winks.

Awaken

Vriska yawned as she plodded herself downstairs, stretching her arms up. "Whas happening?" asked a tired voice, almost collapsing against the inn's counter." Marty remained silent through the entire escapade. He almost felt like he should leave, despite owning the place.

Nodding to Makin, Kadin turned back to Joel. "I worry that if I recognize something that is a symbol of something that this group wishes to fight against, I may recognize it for the wrong reasons. If I were to go with you, get my memories back, and find that I am actually aligned against your group, perhaps this is a good reason for me to not be traveling with you anymore, no?"

That would be a problem. Joel stopped and considered. "You have an instinct for revenge, right? If you recognise that crest, it is probably has a connection. It is possible you have some resentment towards that group, so your allegiance would not change. It is also possible that you would change, but what would you do, if not follow this lead? Would you pass up your best chance at unravelling your history?" He shrugged. "In your position, you do not have much to lose."

Kadin shook his head. "I don't want to hurt this group. I would rather risk not learning who I am than risk hurting Ma--- the members of this group. This group has helped me become more connected, more solid, more on this world. I would not risk returning that with betrayal."

"If the group means so much, then would you even betray them in the first place? Regaining your memories won't mean you discard your old ones. If you have the same target as Makin, that's good, but if not, then re-assess the situation when it comes." Joel glanced in the direction of the stables briefly, then back at the inn. "Let me give you some advice. Revenge may feel right, but that doesn't always mean it's the most just result."

"Huh, well good that you spoke up then, yeah? Can't say I know what the boss is thinkin' all the time, but I wouldn't wanna see her go up against the council by herself. She's not the only one who doesn't like 'em here! That'd be unfair to the rest of us. 'N pretty dangerous to go at alone, I guess." Valha seemed slightly upset by the phrase 'suicide mission', however. "Hey, what sorta dumb attitude is that? You're not plannin' on dyin' any time soon, are you? You call it a suicide mission, it's more likely to be one than if you're bright 'n positive about it, you know? It's these council guys who'll need to start prayin' when we get on their case!"

Lanos sent Ingverd a very unamused look, even if it was a joke he wouldn't be laughing anytime soon. Really reconsidering if I need to apologize or not... "I'd like to believe that if I can fight zombies and bandits I can fight anything waiting for us in Felson."

Last Minute

"Good, I guess." Ingverd then laughed as Valha took him entirely seriously. "That's cute. You're cute. Don't worry, I don't actually think that, I'm just screwing with Ken as he decided to sleep through all this. Doesn't seem like Raith's doing too well in staying awake, either." It was early enough, so Ingverd didn't plan on chiding any of them too much. "And you, Vriska, can get filled in later. I think everyone should just go about their morning, honestly. Despite the drama, the plans haven't changed, so anything you need to do here, do it before we leave. Gotta walk across the plains to get to the city, and they're not the prettiest place, either..."

"I shall take my leave, at that," Markus said, turning to leave but stopping before he made it out. "I'd almost forgot. I came here to do more than chastise Makin." He placed a large sack on the center table of the inn. "Gold, from me, for taking care of those bandits. As dangerous as it was for the town, I won't see your good intentions unrewarded." He then left, sighing as he did.

Wonder how he'd feel if I told him that Ertel got away... Better not mention it. "Alright, good to see our bird's gotten brave all of a sudden." Ingverd then turned weirdly serious. "I can promise you that a well trained knight is a terror that any monster or bandit can't replicate. I appreciate your bravery, but don't let it get you killed." His smile was back on almost immediately, taking his share of the gold. "Well, might as well see what I can find for myself; take my own advice, and all that. Shops should be opening soon, so, who wants to go shopping?"

//Everyone gets 500 gold.

Kendeall shrugged, seriously doubting if this really was a suicide mission. Then he'd heard Lanos mention zombies and bandits, and turned to him. "That sounds like famous last words, buddy. If we took on Felson, it'd be trained soldiers we'd be dealing with. Zombies are just shuffling monsters with no brains, and bandits are pretty much the same but with more motor control and more greed. Keep in mind that we've only got so many people; I highly doubt that we'll be making much of a dent anyways." He replied, before laying down on the inn's couch again to continue partaking in its comfort.

Maja stood silent through most of the scene. It was complicated to touch the subject for her, but Makin didn't seem irresponsible about it. She almost chased Kadin as he left to talk of the crest, but reconsidered as Joel went ahead. He... he said he needed to calm himself, it's ok if I don't bother him...

Sighing, Maja listened as the others continued to speak, seemed they were being paid, but that didn't interest her right now. I didn't have breakfast yet... I'm going to eat something first. And thus she made her way to get some toast, egg, bacon, ham... a bit of everything, resulting in a rather full plate.

On her way to find a table she noticed a particular member of their group seemed to be taking the morning poorly. Finding some empathy by reminding herself of her previous morning, Maja took a chair at the table Raith was at. "Hey there, are you feeling well? It kinda looks like your eyes are killing you." She tried to sound as soft as she could, in case he was on a foul mood as well. Then it dawned on her that he might have not had breakfast yet either. "... want some toast?" She offered.

Edited by Xinnidy

Valha seemed a bit flustered at either learning his statement wasn't supposed to be taken seriously, his easy compliment, or some combination of both. "Well, if you're kiddin' you should be more obvious about it! I'm not too good at figurin' out that sorta stuff sometimes, alright?" But she was immediately pacified at the sight of lots of pretty gold. She counted out enough for herself gleefully. "Hmm, what to do... I haven't been to the market yet, I wonder if they could have anythin' in store for me. Where are you headed, Ingverd? Hey Lanos, do you wanna come with us? After your whole flyin' deal, anyway."

Raith let out a rather obnoxious yawn and slowed the assault on his eyelids so he could see who exactly was talking to him. Ma..ko? Ma..jo? Ma...la? What the hell was her name again..."Oh hey," he yawned again, outstretching his arms and legs and then sinking back into his chair. "Yeah, I'm uh, I'm doing okay Ma...ja!" There we go! Rather delighted that his memory hadn't failed him, he almost missed the part where he was offered some food. Almost.

He eyed her plate, debating whether or not he should press his luck and procure a little more than said piece of toast, but decided against it. He snatched the piece of toast, and scarfed it down. "Thanks," he said with a smile. A meager piece of toast wasn't enough to satiate his hunger, but it was enough to tide him over for the time being. He yawned again, "sorry about that," he muttered. "So hey, care to tell me what was going down with the boss just now? Not quite sure I caught the whole piece."