Masquerade Part 2: Army of Darkness

Nanami Touko

"Diplomacy"

Makin quickly slithered over, sword in hand. She ended this movement with the blade pressed squarely up against the centaur's neck, ready to push through at a moment's notice. That way he won't scream too loudly... "Right, you've got a minute to explain why you thought this was a good idea before I end your miserable life. If only I could do it to the rest of your terrible clan, but I'm just one woman... Kadin, continue scouting. We'll handle this. Thank you, though. Good save." She nodded with a half smile to the ghost, hoping he'd continue on his way. "Back to you. One minute. Go."

Jittery

"H-Hey, Makin!" Ingverd exclaimed, in a muffled shout. "Just wait a moment! I know you're on edge about this, but maybe he can give us some good information. Like... Why is your clan so far out? And why didn't you bring anyone with you when you came over here?" He realized he'd asked almost the same question as Makin's first, but that was fine. Perhaps the centaur would react more pleasantly to someone being calm, rather than threatening his vocal chords.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferdinand was terrified at threats thrown at him by the young Naga. This wasn't a good idea at all, there was no reason for him to be so reckless. Still, he needed to talk himself out of this, somehow.

" I don't know why. I just saw you people putting out your fire and decided to see what that was all about. I don't think the others would mind if I travelled on my own either." Ferdinand replied cautiously.

Kadin saluted Makin with his spear before heading back towards the enemy camp. Quietly approaching, he did his best to stay away from the fire, and hoped he didn't walk too close to the mage before he could get his bearings and figure out exactly where they were sitting.

Kendeall hovered a hand over his Halberd hesitantly, just in case there were an issue with the so-called "diplomacy". When the centaur mentioned wanting to come with the group, he was... a bit perplexed, but chose not to say anything. Makin was better with words than he was.

Confused

"What? You didn't tell anyone? Why would you come over here alone?" It didn't make any sense to her, if someone had seen their fire go out, they'd have at least brought a scouting party over, some small group that would be enough to incapacitate them, or at least report back to the main camp. Why doesn't he know that? "What scheme are you playing at? Don't screw with me..."

Scouting

As Kadin approached the camp, he could hear parts of a conversation going on between the hooded mage, and a few other centaurs. The centaurs were quite like, letting him easily make out their shouts of "why are we doing this, again? I don't think any of us care what you've promised us, this isn't worth the risks!", "Yeah, he's right! We should head back!", "I'm not dying for some imperial!" The mage was stoic and quiet while facing this, and Kadin would have had trouble picking out what they were saying. "Listen... The cas... ... Fortune, and... You... ... Come along..." The mage made a sinister face up at the centaurs, to which some of them took a step back. The main one that was arguing folded his arms. He didn't say anything, though. Whatever the mage had said, it had pacified, if not convinced them, for the moment.

Aside from the conversation at hand, there were a lot of well equipped centaurs around the fire, with either well made looking weapons, or an arrangement of at least sturdy looking ones. As for the centaurs themselves, some of them were well armored along their horse bodied, others looked like they definitely made a living off of fighting.

Maja barely reacted when the 'scout' was caught. She observed the group's "diplomacy" with a certain curiosity. So that's how rough things are done, huh? I wouldn't learn this alone.

Breaking off of her observation a few minutes in, she looked around from where the scout came in hopes to determined if another was there. Would it slip past Kadin?

" I'm perplexed myself. I think it was instinct. Are you about to fight the Ostens?" Ferdinand asked innocently. He had to play dumb here - he wasn't with the Ostens but he knew the Naga wouldn't believe him if he outright said that, so even though it seemed like they were getting ready for battle, he couldn't play like he knew what was about to happen.

"Instinct--!?" Makin cut her surprise off with a quick hiss, almost aiming to press harder against his neck. She held back, as she wasn't done this centaur's game. Whatever he was playing at, she could play along. If he tried to escape, it wouldn't end well. "No. We're going around. Anyone with any sense would know that facing their whole might would mean certain death. The best we can do is skirt them so they don't run us over in our sleep. I do hope you don't plan on going back to them. Knowing all of what I've told you, you'll probably have to die. Is your curiosity satisfied, at least?"

Edited by I have opinions

"Going back? I don't expect to be going back anytime soon when you're saying you're about to kill me. I suppose my curiosity is satisfied, although it led me to something I didn't desire right now. I hope you're smart enough to drag my body along with you if you're going to kill me though. You wouldn't want them to get a lead and follow you, now would you?" Ferdinand replied.

• 2 weeks later...

"Drag your... Ugh..." Makin had forgotten all about that in the process of her threats. She rabidly ran a hand through her hair, frustrated. "Stop being so calm about having a sword at your neck. Fine, you're coming with us, then. But be sure that you'll be dead the moment you issue any sort of warning towards your allies. If you value your life, you'll keep quiet, and once we're past them, I'll even let you go. You, and them, aren't a threat once we've moved past." It was extra baggage, but it was necessary, now that he'd brought up a rather important point.

• 2 weeks later...

Ferdinand was relieved. He truly wasn't allied with the Ostens, so he wasn't going to have his head on the platter right now. Or at least it seemed so. He silently nodded and followed the naga's orders.

Edited by Bluedoom

Valha watched the situation pan out in seemingly uncharacteristic silence, opting not to speak up- too much work for far too early to be woken up. "When are we gettin' started, boss?" she asked, reluctantly readying herself for travel again.

"We're getting started now." She put her sword away and glared one more time at the centaur. Now would've been the perfect time to run, but he hadn't, so perhaps they could use him. "Everyone, get yourselves ready. We're going to move, and we're going to move fast. If you run into any of them, put them down. We can't have them running back off to the camp and waking everyone up. We'd be dead." She made a grim expression, and started to slither ahead, hoping that this would go smoothly.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3: Do Not Pursue

Map Start!

PlayerMap.png

The map should be updated automatically in this post everytime I save it as it's being hosted on dropbox. In this case, it may be best to move once at a time, considering you could hit enemies or enemies could become visible. Trent will be controlling the enemies and he will see a different map showing the enemies visibility ranges. Please state exactly which path you're taking, "three up, one left, one up", etc, since paths are important in this case.

For reference, Sonia as a thief currently has four FoW sight. Joel also currently has the Binoculars in his inventory, meaning he also has four FoW sight. Otherwise, everyone else has two FoW sight. No-one has a torch because you're scrubs, but it would increase FoW sight by one for three turns on use.

The yellow tinted tiles are tiles that both the enemy and you can see. You can already see some Centaurs positioned around the camps on patrol.

The objective is to reach the blue rectangle in the upper right of the map.

HP and other things.

Player Phase! Edited by Tryhard

I forgot to say, but please state exactly which path you're taking, "three up, one left, one up", etc, since paths are important in this case.

Not that it mattered in the above move.

Edited by Tryhard

With the centaur situation (somewhat) resolved Lanos finally turned his attention away from Ferdinand long enough to take a position.

"Let's just get this over with so we can go to sleep."

Lanos moves to 3,8 (up 4) and becomes everyone's favorite wall.

Edited by F.O.E.

" Eh, I guess I better move quickly with this group... Being the enemy of a group that helped me with my travels doesn't seem enticing at all." Ferdinand muttered to himself as he moved forward.

Ferdinand moves up 5, right 1 (4,8)

Maja had a mind to explore the path in front of her, and for a moment thought that it would be a good idea to split the group.

Taking a look back to see the others take a different route all together made Maja change her mind enough. She wasn't going to walk a dark path alone.

Maja moves up 4 left 1.