QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a lot of them are a mix of both positives and negatives

Is that directed at me? If so, I know. But those rare occasions where you are forced between a rock a hard place do exist sometimes.

while your statement is true i do not consider "thirty percent" to be "rare" while i do consider it to be "a lot"

this is because "rare" and "a lot" are basically mutually exclusive

while your statement is true i do not consider "thirty percent" to be "rare" while i do consider it to be "a lot"

You've caught me trying to appeal to both sides of the situation. I don't consider them that rare at all, but it seems Freohr does. If she's going to contradict me, I figure it's best to find a compromise on her terms than force my own, especially if our experiences are different.

there's never just two choices in life.

True, but realistically... Take the prisoner's dilemma. You could argue that a third option might be to attack the prison guards and stage an escape but there are rational reasons for discarding those types of options.

Edited by Makaze

True, but realistically... Take the prisoner's dilemma. You could argue that a third option might be to attack the prison guards and stage an escape but there are rational reasons for discarding those types of options.

the prisoner's dilemma is entirely hypothetical and contrived.

edit: i understand you don't mean literally the prisoner's dilemma but the way it is presented in real, tangible life, but even then, it never is as simple as that. but i guess this is more a clash of ideologies. you've said before you see life as a zero-sum game, and i just... don't,

so this discussion is probably best left here

Edited by fuccboi

If there's a clear common thread between the choices, and the buildup to the question that basically asks the responder to look at two sides of a particular issue in whatever capacity the asker's trying to get at, I don't really think it's a substitute for actually discussing/teaching that issue from the ground up, but I can endure them existing in certain contexts I guess

(though it's a kind of device that even in that specific usage pretty much invariably gets nuances wrong, and yeah, it tends to restrict actual perspectives that complex individuals (as in any individual person ever) might realistically have, in an uncomfortable and even unnecessary way)

If it's just, I dunno, between two fucking awful totally unrelated things, then unless I can accidentally make something out of it (and sorta also in those situations anyway), screw em

I mean there are rare diseases but a lot of people have just because there's so many dang people, and there are a lot of decisions made in your life so the same applies there