QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

Picking a definitive favourite genre is far too difficult, just like picking a favourite most things. Genres I particularly enjoy tend to fall into more of a sentimental ambient trend though; Doom Metal, Post Rock, Liquid Drum and Bass.

65daysofstatic might be an amalgamation of everything I like in music though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz4wYsMZfeA

Edited by Irysa

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"unless it's rap" is stereotypically said by a bunch of people due to ignorance or like the assumption used by Freohr in reply to the four other people commenting on you, "all rap is dirty inappropriate music and always is crap craprap~!", it's not an inside joke all, no need to be insecure

That phrase is just a step above "Eminiem/Tupac is better than Lil Wayne" in terms of ignorance and dare I say it, used to even imply subtle racism

got it, ya bish?

This pretty much. The phrase "i like everything except (country and) rap" is basically memetic at this point and has a large amount of negative connotations. The connotations are not necessarily true but i still found it funny. Not to mention writing off an entire genre is pretty dumb by itself which is why ive been trying to post good examples of x whenever people say they dont like genre x for a while. Ill post some dubstep once i get home (james blake! He's a cutie)

Not to mention writing off an entire genre is pretty dumb by itself which is why ive been trying to post good examples of x whenever people say they dont like genre x for a while. Ill post some dubstep once i get home (james blake! He's a cutie)

I've found that most people who say they hate dubstep just equate the entire genre with the wub wub wub Skrillex thing or "100 Most Brutal Dubstep Drops Ever!!! 7-Hour Apocalypse Mix [500 Subscriber Edition]" YouTube videos. Thinking this sort of brostep is obnoxious and macho is reasonable. As for the good stuff, I'll follow up the James Blake suggestion with some others, for those in the thread who hate dubstep or are dub-curious.

[spoiler=Archangel by Burial, one of my favorite songs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2qLD9c3Gq4

[spoiler=Ancient Memories by Digital Mystikz]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQnOqosGv0

Edited by Emperor Dijon

got it, ya bish?

just have to say ya bish already means something like, "you get me," or, "you dig," to use an old phrase. kind of another way to say "mah nigga" too.

One of the benefits of not knowing shit about music is that I don't know what I'm supposed to dislike

(or at least not that much)

(#basiclife)

haha, you just gotta like what you like. i love teasing my little brother because he listens to a band called dream theater, which imo are a terrible band. but in reality, i don't really care--and i mean, i really like a$ap rocky's "fuckin problems." sometimes i just want a good beat with a catchy flow. the lyrics in particular don't matter at all.

This pretty much. The phrase "i like everything except (country and) rap" is basically memetic at this point and has a large amount of negative connotations. The connotations are not necessarily true but i still found it funny. Not to mention writing off an entire genre is pretty dumb by itself which is why ive been trying to post good examples of x whenever people say they dont like genre x for a while. Ill post some dubstep once i get home (james blake! He's a cutie)

Dammit, I forgot to put country in my post. But really, I just meant in general; exceptions that prove the rule etc. etc. bla bla.

Dammit, I forgot to put country in my post. But really, I just meant in general; exceptions that prove the rule etc. etc. bla bla.

see, the thing is that hip-hop (and country) are enormous genres with loads of shit in them. they're super vague. it's dumb to dismiss entire genre Y, especially if it's a category as comprehensive as "rap." you know, "oh, this is rap, i don't like rap (therefore i don't like this)." i make it a point to try every genre i think i don't like and dig deep into it. trying new things doesn't hurt. you might discover you actually enjoy something you always thought you hated. shit, you might even find out something about yourself.

edit: to be fair, this is all tryhard as fuck. i guess the bottom line probably is like whatever you want to just try to keep an open mind maybe?

edit2: i'm not saying you specifically don't have an open mind, it's sort of a little psa

Edited by fuccboi

see, the thing is that hip-hop (and country) are enormous genres with loads of shit in them. they're super vague. it's dumb to dismiss entire genre Y, especially if it's a category as comprehensive as "rap." you know, "oh, this is rap, i don't like rap (therefore i don't like this)." i make it a point to try every genre i think i don't like and dig deep into it. trying new things doesn't hurt. you might discover you actually enjoy something you always thought you hated. shit, you might even find out something about yourself.

Fair enough, I never really thought of it that way before. Man, I should do that; broadening my horizons or something like that.

EDIT I'm probably just more lazy than close minded.

Edited by Refa

Not to mention writing off an entire genre is pretty dumb by itself

and yet that's the next question gahahahaha

unless i think of something better, but realtalk: no

The joke is that they are an embodiment of the idea that 'I like everything but [country and] rap.' This statement is always based on ignorance of both the genres they like and the genres of country and/or rap, without exception (so far as I have seen).

I have heard much rap in my life, especially here at job corps. I grew quite sick of it as well and barely found any enjoyment out of the songs I heard (which were varied).

Do I need to justify myself further? Or can you all just drop it and move on.

Edited by Jedi

I have heard much rap in my life, especially here at job corps. I grew quite sick of it as well and barely found any enjoyment out of the songs I heard (which were varied).

Do I need to justify myself further? Or can you all just drop it and move on.

this isn't even really about you

Ok, I, in general, don't like more recent country music due to the moderate amount of it I have heard, but accept the fact that it is possible that I may like something in this genre that I have yet to hear.

Not to mention writing off an entire genre is pretty dumb by itself which is why ive been trying to post good examples of x whenever people say they dont like genre x for a while.

That's actually partially what I was getting at when I said that disliking a whole genre seems the same as liking a whole genre. Except instead of "dismissing" an entire genre it's accepting an entire genre.

Although I guess I can see why a bigger fuss would be made over dismissing an entire genre.

what would hipster music be anyway

because there's a few bands i like that aren't big, and i'm definitely not a hipster lol

I dont even know wtf hipster music is. lel. But i love a lot of music (and i mean, a lot) that isnt really mainstream or big shots.

[spoiler=besides, you aint tr00 edgy until you can mellow out to this]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBPGzEfH-N4

For one thing nobody said he's not allowed to dislike rap. Also you assume you know the reason why those posts were made when it seems you don't really get the joke lol

Hue. I love you, stolypin.

The joke is that they are an embodiment of the idea that 'I like everything but [country and] rap.' This statement is always based on ignorance of both the genres they like and the genres of country and/or rap, without exception (so far as I have seen).

Hank III aside cuz hes fuggin' Hank III. I actually really cant handle modern Country. Its just like, not even compatible with my eardrums. (Plus, i keep hearing bullshit like Toby Keith and i fucken hate Toby Keith.) I like old school Country and Bonnie Raitt is fucking awesome.

I had to relearn how to appreciate rap music some years ago. I can safely say that i do enjoy quite a bit of it, but i prefer the more...experimental rappers.

Fuckin' Problems is good fun for legit and illegit reasons. Dream Theater are in fact a bunch of noodly wankers.

#hottakes

Read that as "Dream Theater are in fact a bunch of moody wankers" and im like "yeah they really are." :P:Awake their best album, get at me.

That's actually partially what I was getting at when I said that disliking a whole genre seems the same as liking a whole genre. Except instead of "dismissing" an entire genre it's accepting an entire genre.

Although I guess I can see why a bigger fuss would be made over dismissing an entire genre.

One can like a whole genre of music. In fact, id argue its easier to enjoy an entire genre than to hate an entire genre. You can say "yeah i dig rock and roll." and it makes sense. Saying "i hate rock and roll" is like, so much effort. Because thats such a huge genre, its pretty impossible to hate rock and roll. Its impossible for me to hate Country music entirely because bamf artists in that genre exist. But i can say im not a fan of the modern sub-genre. It would be easier for someone to say "I do not care for most mainstream rap that ive heard." for obvious reasons. Also saying "i like everything except rap" creates that stigma stolypin and Makaze are talking about. Trust me, its a freaking filthy stigma and has a lot of racist connotations. It be teh gross, yo.

Dubstep, the majority of it i hear, has teh wub. The wub and i sometimes disagree. I kinda dig the more chiptune-y type dubstep ive heard.

never liked music to much and if I put it in the wrong genre sorry. Overall probably the 90's "gangsta" rap. Never really cared to much about the lyrics but really like the beat. I'm kind of embarrased to admit it due to my age.

One can like a whole genre of music. In fact, id argue its easier to enjoy an entire genre than to hate an entire genre. You can say "yeah i dig rock and roll." and it makes sense. Saying "i hate rock and roll" is like, so much effort. Because thats such a huge genre, its pretty impossible to hate rock and roll. Its impossible for me to hate Country music entirely because bamf artists in that genre exist. But i can say im not a fan of the modern sub-genre. It would be easier for someone to say "I do not care for most mainstream rap that ive heard." for obvious reasons. Also saying "i like everything except rap" creates that stigma stolypin and Makaze are talking about. Trust me, its a freaking filthy stigma and has a lot of racist connotations. It be teh gross, yo.

My point had nothing to do with how much effort it took... or as far as I knew it didn't

And if they've got a problem with that kind of stigma I can see that, but as my post said to begin with (idk why it keeps getting ignored) my issue is if they were talking about it in the way I described.

Maybe I just haven't been very clear...

My point had nothing to do with how much effort it took... or as far as I knew it didn't

And if they've got a problem with that kind of stigma I can see that, but as my post said to begin with (idk why it keeps getting ignored) my issue is if they were talking about it in the way I described.

Maybe I just haven't been very clear...

No, see, your point was addressed a while ago:

e1704c79cbc0d3e9e8067431b89e1c64.png

Hence why it keeps getting "ignored".