Mistakes you made on your first play trough

I didn't recruit Haar...somehow. He just flew on to the map and I was like Oh I wonder who that is. Best play it safe and wait to see what he's going to do. Then he flew away and I lost one of the best units in the game.

Yeah this happened to me too. I'd played FE9 before (and also been a FE fan for years) so I knew who Haar was, but I expected that he would make his way near me by himself or auto-join at the end of the map. I was just holing out in a corner playing defence so I didn't approach him myself. Then I beat the map and nothing happened and I was like wtf. Luckily I had a save from the beginning of 1-E so I just redid that map.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tons. Was also my first FE game, and I died a lot on the early chapters. A LOT. I think in Laura's first chapter I probably lost, like, a dozen times. Also I didn't really understand BEXP, I think I just gave it out equally to everybody. DB was badly undertrained as a group, I think Nolan and Edward turned out decent but everyone else sucked, which meant I had to hang on for dear life in 3-13, and had to lean heavily on the BK in 3-7 (I was SO relieved when he showed up). Didn't mess Greil's Team up too badly, you can pretty much run that group on autopilot. I think some key characters died, Haar might've been one of them (or maybe he died in 4E, can't remember). I also had to have the royals solo endgame because most of my endgame team was just that weak. Then there were all the goodies I missed out on: character recruitments and secret items...

Not recruiting Oliver or Stefan.

Using Sothe exclusively.

Having the Black Knight do everything in the Part 1 Endgame.

Burning all my Bonus XP on Micaiah in 1-9.

I honestly have no idea how I survived 4-P and 4-3.

Oh wait, I abused Naesela and Sigrun. There's my answer.

I actually DIDNT survive part 4-3. After failing to many times I reset

This is the same fail tactic play through I mentioned erlyer

Edited by Raze200

I actually DIDNT survive part 4-3. After failing to many times I reset

This is the same fail tactic play through I mentioned erlyer

4-3 is pretty annoying without good flying units. For this chapter you really need one of the dragon lords or one other flying unit with the nullify scroll, which you can get in 2-Finale. A 3rd tier Jill is the best unit for this chapter because of her high speed, defense, luck and pretty decent resistance as a dragon lord. Naesala is excellent for this chapter too. He can kill most of the enemies except generals. But beware of snipers and warriors with crossbows. And you should bring a restore and physic staff to this chapter.

You should save in a different slot, if you have created your three groups for part 4. If the teams are not balanced, you can reset from this point.

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

Thinking Tormod was going to be useful, using Fiona, abusing using the BK in part 1 endgame, that's about it really. Parts 2-4 weren't that bad because of my save transfer and in general not being Dawn Brigade. Exceptions to Edward, Nolan, Laura and Aran they were awesome.

I never had a trough that I played with those are for pigs and other livestock to eat from anyway

- In FE7, I didn't level my mains at all so they were horribly weak by the time I got to endgame

- In FE10, I divided my teams up horribly on the part where Ike and Micaiah team up and then split up, so I'll probably need to restart from that (unlikely that I stand a chance against Ashera anyway)

- In Awakening I missed Missiletainn and the Goddess Staff. I also regret grinding so much that Grima was a complete pushover.

Edited by BANRYU

I made the mistakes of letting my Herons die and not taking any Royals at Endgame. You have no idea how much I suffered at 4-E-3 and ESPECIALLY 4-E5...

• 2 weeks later...

My first Fire Emblem... It was really embarassing

I pretty much didn't have anyone by the endgame, I had Laguz Kings, Ike, Titania, Sothe, Micaiah, Rolf, Gatrie, Boyd, Tauroneo, Haar and Nephnee (useful units I say)

It was really, really hard for me to finish the game.

I'm doing a new run in normal mode (japanese hard) and I hope to achieve better results than the last time...

I feel you I think you did better than I did actually. I really didn't have many units to go around. Till the middle part of part three fatalities were common and it was rare to have everyone survive one chapter. The DB were obliterated. GM lost almost everyone. The Crimean knights lost everyone. So yeah. I don't remeber how the other teams went but they were suckey but the DB were horrid if they weren't required or recently given they were deads.

• 4 weeks later...

I used Ilyana through endgame because she got super blessed (and capped everything :Wrys:) , and I wasn't really referencing any guides or anything so had no concept of the growths of each character, since pretty much every character had great growth rates and I was basing my choices on their availabilities.

Not exactly a mistake, but maybe something I wouldn't do again? Also neglected some decent units like Zihark and Tauroneo because I didn't know there was a third tier :sob:

Putting a trained Oscar + Kieran on Micaiah's team. Stupid desert.

Using Leonardo.
An archer that starts with 10 speed? Wow! That's amazing compared to archers in previous games. I knew the limitations with being bow-locked, but I thought he could still be fun to use. Nope!

Using Leonardo.

An archer that starts with 10 speed? Wow! That's amazing compared to archers in previous games. I knew the limitations with being bow-locked, but I thought he could still be fun to use. Nope!

Lughnasadh saves Leonardo. It gives him +5 speed, which equalizes his speed issue a little bit. If he reaches a speed of 15, he can double the tigers in part 3 and kill the hawks in 3-13 with one shot at least.

He's crap in part 1, but becomes semiuseful in part 3.

This was my first Fire Emblem game, so of course, fatal and hilarious mistakes all around...

-Using Black Knight in part 1.

-Overusing Volug, Sothe in Part 1, Tauroneo...Practically anyone you could overuse, really.

-Bringing a ridiculously underleveled Zihark to 4-E.

-Equipping Ragnell to Ike prior to 3-13.

-Not realizing the existence of the 3-13 archer.

And of course, the biggest mistake of them all...

-Skipping the recruit dialogue of Oliver. I had placed Rafiel about 4 spaces in front of him, thinking that since he's a boss and all, he won't attack me, and I'll recruit him next turn. Then I saw him approach me. I was positive that he was going to massacre Rafiel,(All my Herons were severely underleveled on my first playthrough) so I skipped the dialogue. Next thing I know, the chapter's over...

Killing off 2 herons via massive brain farts was a mistake. I purposefully dumped Rafiel in an enemy bow user's range to lure the enemy in, totally forgetting what herons were. I later placed Leanne in enemy range thinking, "I'll just use a heron on her to bring her back," forgetting she was the heron. Noble deaths all around

I also poured nearly all my BEXP into my boy Sothe, but his stats were a beautiful sea of green so it's a mistake I'd happily make again.

Edited by BuddyBoy

I actually used about a billion Arms Scrolls to get Ike SS rank in axes. And then forgot to bless Urvan anyway.

Oh, and I didn't even think of putting Nihil on Caineghis when fighting Deghinsea which resulted in me losing him and since I somehow never realized that I could do Battle Saves on Normal, I just decided to go on without him.

I was pretty satisfied with the overall playthrough considering it was my first playthrough of the game, but thinking in retrospect the amount of casualties I suffered in Part 4 Endgame was outright horrible.

Trained Micaiah a little too much in Pt. 1's earlier chapters ... made Ch. 9 a super-fun Black-Knight-Fest, but sorta hurt when 3-6 rolled around =P .

Also made quite a mess of the support system...didn't use it nearly as effectively as I could have...but eh, first playthrough.

• 1 month later...

So it's actually possible to overtrain Micaiah in part 1? I'm just getting started (I think I just finished chapter 3, the prison chapter?) and have been deliberately leaning on her to try to avoid the "overuse Sothe" thing i did when I first tried the game years ago. Basically my heuristic is:

(1) If at all possible, feed Micaiah the kill. If she has nothing else to do, sacrifice to heal and then have Laura heal her.

(2) Nolan gets all of the incidental combat. He can take the occasional kill intentionally.

(3) Leonardo only allowed to chip enemies to set up a kill.

(4) Edward usually chips, but I have let him take a couple of kills.

So basically, I've leveled Micaiah at this point to 9 or 10, Nolan is maybe 11 or 12, and Edward is at 5. I'm reasonably sure I won't want to use Edward in the long run, so I figured getting Micaiah up earlier was better. Am I erring? I'm just remembering my recent PoR run where "level Ike to 20 as early as possible" turned out to be an awesome thing to do, because it actually opened up a lot of tactical possibilities for training other characters without worrying about having to feed Ike.

Edited by piffany

I thought that the option to kill Pelleas was like most of the options in Awakening (since I played that one before rd), and so I killed him and was left wondering why the game kept awarding me dark magic when there wasn't a dark mage available in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Accidentally blessing a silver axe, which might not sound that bad, until you realize that I planned to bless a forged 21 might, 90 hit, 6 crit silver poleax...

I don't believe there is a silver poleaxe forge, you probably just mean a forged silver axe.

I played it on easy. Way too easy, and I'm not even that good at FE.

Edited by SeverIan

i didn't get thani or the wind edge or meg

Dude, this is a thread for mistakes. Missing meg is not a mistake.

I don't believe there is a silver poleaxe forge, you probably just mean a forged silver axe.

I played it on easy. Way too easy, and I'm not even that good at FE.

Yeah maybe it was a silver axe. It was still really OP though. 21 might is not a joke.