Mario Kart 8

kingddd

Drifting is the best, you just need to know how drift works on dofferent karts and bikes and have precise timing when drifting.

What set do you guys generally use? I tend to use Rosalina, Peach or Mario/Comet or any other inward drift bike/Slick or Cyber Slick tires and Generic or Plane Glider. I love how bikes got the second speed boost at drifting here in MK8. I totally prefer bikes over karts, I really don't like karts and their drifting .-.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I fucking give up.

You guys must use cheats or something to win 150cc cups and star rank them. Because it's looking impossible for me. I'm always getting knocked around and hit with items, especially right at the goal when I'm about to win a race. And I never get any good items. I almost always get the Piranha plant when I'm in a bad spot

I know everyone's already told you about drifting (to the point that I would've probably been annoyed by now XD) but I just wanted to say that it is certainly possible to win without cheats, haha. I say that because I am not that good at Mario Kart and I managed to get stars on most of them, and three stars on some, and if I played enough (the game IS luck-based, so getting first place nabbed by items is bound to happen sometimes...) I could probably be even more successful, so it's definitely possible even for someone who is not that good, haha.

I also think that having someone to play with you helps if they're willing to work with you. I know I once stayed back to help my sister and fight with people in like the 2nd-5th places or so (there are often racers close to each other that fight it out...), and as a result she did well because she wasn't getting bombarded by attacks anymore. Sadly it's not exactly the most... convenient tactic or fair or other things lol

Anyway, I don't think I saw anyone state interest in playing with others from other forums. Going from my understanding of how tournaments work, maybe we could have another combined group for multiple FE forums or something? Idk, up to you guys, we could go nowhere with this idea and it'd be fine I guess *shrug*

If you read the whole thread, you'd know that I have no one to play with. PLEASE stop bringing it up. I don't mean to sound rude, but when everyone starts going on about how they play with their siblings or something while I have NOBODY, it really makes me feel like crap, you know?

As for Quintessence's question, I like the standard glider and cloud glider and the blue standard wheels (I like blue lol). I haven't unlocked every part yet though. I did get a cool bike I really like recently though. ^^ But the name escapes me at the moment. >.> But I prefer bikes over karts too. Bikes ftw!

I play Luigi, Daisy, and now Rosalina since I finally unlocked her.

Edited by Anacybele

Okay, I definitely have the hang of drifting/boosting now. I finally got trophies on all cups, though I still only managed to star rank ONE 150cc cup. And even then it was just a one star rating. I have all characters unlocked though (last three were Morton, Larry, and Wendy, in that order) and I got more vehicles and parts.

I'm still getting hit with items all the time and knocked off the tracks a lot. I guess the only way to get three stars is to find someone to play with...someday. -_-

Not necessarily Ana, you need to be skilled with your kart/bike, get used to drift and be cautious by holding bananas/shells or use the Super horn item in order to repel red shells and spinnies. Oh and getting as many coins as you can. Once you get a strong lead, opponents won't reach you if you keep a steady pace and defend yourself.

Edited by Quintessence

Also, the only way to get three stars is to get 1st place in all four races in the cup. Unlike in MKWii and MK7, where you could arrive first on all courses and still not get a three star rank.

By the way, have you guys been collecting the Stamps? Here's how you get them:

There are 90 Stamps total:

- 28 are available when starting the game the first time.

- 30 are unlocked by winning a Gold Cup with each character.

- 32 are unlocked by beating the Staff Ghosts on every track on Time Trail.

Already got all the character Stamps (great way to get you to try out every character!), and I am now focusing on Time Trails.

Also, the only way to get three stars is to get 1st place in all four races in the cup. Unlike in MKWii and MK7, where you could arrive first on all courses and still not get a three star rank.

By the way, have you guys been collecting the Stamps? Here's how you get them:

There are 90 Stamps total:

- 28 are available when starting the game the first time.

- 30 are unlocked by winning a Gold Cup with each character.

- 32 are unlocked by beating the Staff Ghosts on every track on Time Trail.

Already got all the character Stamps (great way to get you to try out every character!), and I am now focusing on Time Trails.

I have about 20 stamps left since I didn't know you get stamps by using each character once and winning in GP. Shouldn't of done that since I just kept using Mario the entire time.

I finished all the Time Trails though and beaten all the staff ghost. This is probably the first time they made the Staff ghosts really easy in this game. They are just there to show off shortcuts instead of actually attempting to go for the lowest time. I had a lot of problems in Mario Kart Wii and 7 but this one was so easy it's kind of bleh. Bone Dry Dunes though was the only really challenging one.

What do you get if you collect all of the stamps?

nothing just stamps for your miiverse posts.

Edited by kingddd

I just said that I can drift and stuff just fine now. But there's never a guarantee that I'll get the horn or some other useful item. It's all luck. Ugh.

I know HOW to get a three star rank. xP I didn't know it was a bit different than in MKWii though. I assumed it was the same. Place first in each race, complete each race with a good time, and do lots of tricks.

I got surprised that staff ghosts are a joke. They were more challenging in MKWii and MK:DD.

I really won't bother at all at doing Time Trials nor collect Stamps, just collecting coins here. I got 300+ coins by playing with my sister yesterday 32 vs races. I already have 2700+ coins.

Btw, the only gold parts are the kart and the tires, right?

edit: also Ana, most of the comments are advice for you, you don't need to be defensive or something, nobody is offending you :p

Edited by Quintessence

I never said anyone was offending me. It's just that it's hard to do what people are saying if they're telling me to "use the horn" or something when that's entirely up to lady luck.

I never said anyone was offending me. It's just that it's hard to do what people are saying if they're telling me to "use the horn" or something when that's entirely up to lady luck.

It's not that, it's that your way of replying or reacting seems as if you were justifying previous posts. There's no need for that. Take a deep breathe, keep on the practice and enjoy the game 8D.

There's also a gold glider for 10,000 coins. That's gonna take a while.

Whoa yes, that'll take time. Btw, no gold bike? I think I'll keep my usual set :(

If you read the whole thread, you'd know that I have no one to play with. PLEASE stop bringing it up. I don't mean to sound rude, but when everyone starts going on about how they play with their siblings or something while I have NOBODY, it really makes me feel like crap, you know?

Well, I play alone too. Mainly because my brother is a dick and never plays with me.

As for my setup, I use Rosalina w/ Flame Rider, Slim Wheels, and Any Glider.

I like the Flame Rider too! That's the bike I mentioned earlier and couldn't think of the name of. :P

Btw, I've started beating staff ghosts! I beat four already, though none of them were outraced by more than three seconds. In fact, half of them were only behind me by a FRACTION of a second. xP

My brother loves N64 Yoshi Valley so we play that track a lot. It's fun as heck on multiplayer.

We actually haven't tried out Battle Mode yet because it honestly doesn't sound good because of not using original tracks, but we might try it out this weekend.

Gold Glider's requirement is literally the most insane requirement in a Mario Kart game.

Especially because the game doesn't tell you how many coins you have.

Gold Glider's requirement is literally the most insane requirement in a Mario Kart game.

Hmm well, it's kinda BS to not know the current amount of coins, but for instance, the last reward you get is by collecting 2800 coins. Like, I've done twice 32 races with my sister, so I assume I got like 600+ per play (like Double Dash All-Cup tour (?)), yesterday I did the Time Trials, so I think I have 4400~ coins so far. Not that far from 10K, BUT RAEG NOW I'M ALONE :(

So uh, Iunno, yeah do math

Edited by Quintessence

Oh yeah, another thing, what happened to kart/bike tricks? They're just not as cool as they were in MKWii. The main reason I liked bikes so much more than karts was all the cool tricks you could do with them. But now tricks seem dull on either vehicle. :/

Oh yeah, another thing, what happened to kart/bike tricks? They're just not as cool as they were in MKWii. The main reason I liked bikes so much more than karts was all the cool tricks you could do with them. But now tricks seem dull on either vehicle. :/

Mario Kart 7 introduced the smaller/shorter trick animations. It's not a new feature.

Mario Kart 8's gold car part is way more lenient then Mario Kart 7's gold car part unlock requirements.

Below is Mario Kart 7's requirements:

The Gold Glider can be unlocked by making 100 StreetPass connections or by collecting 10000 coins.

The Gold Tires are unlocked by obtaining a minimum of one star ranking in all cups of every engine class or by collecting 15000 coins.

The Gold Kart can be unlocked by obtaining 10000VR or by collecting 20000 coins.

Edited by kingddd