The "Kirby" thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Epic Yarn felt like it was one of those games for preschoolers meant to help them get into basic subjects of education. Instead of a real game.

Of course I had it for free so I finished it anyway

Epic Yarn felt like it was one of those games for preschoolers meant to help them get into basic subjects of education. Instead of a real game.

Of course I had it for free so I finished it anyway

I got it for $20, which is the perfect price in my opinion. Did you 100% it? Some of the optional missions were pretty tough without a second player. Getting a gold medal in Frigid Fjords was probably the hardest, along with the bead-collecting mission for the Battleship Halberd.

Besides, how can you resist the adorableness of Kirby?

B003ZCH7DI.01.lg.jpg

I did 100% it and didn't find it tough in the slightest, although there were some times that were pretty stupid and required a retry (nothing remotely close to the "tough" in most of the games I play; granted, that level of "tough" is also usually attributed to stupid crap and not actual difficulty through challenging critical thinking skills or dexterity).

I did 100% it and didn't find it tough in the slightest, although there were some times that were pretty stupid and required a retry (nothing remotely close to the "tough" in most of the games I play; granted, that level of "tough" is also usually attributed to stupid crap and not actual difficulty through challenging critical thinking skills or dexterity).

It was still fun though, right? Were the levels varied, creative, charming? Did you enjoy furnishing the ultimate apartment room?

Also, what kind of games do you play? Ones made by Treasure? F-Zero GX?

I mostly prefer Rareware games. Treasure, Enix, and Square games were up there too but Rareware's closest competition for me has always been Nintendo.

As for genre, 3D action games for sure. RPG, platformer, doesn't matter as long as it's an action game. None of that turn based crap.

I probably thought Yarn was charming at first, but I'm sure I got bored of it quickly and wanted a more power up based game. In fact I think that was Yarn's gimmick...they took out absorbing enemy powers to replace it with the yarn stuff and that makes it not be a kirby game anymore. Maybe my memory's wrong but I don't remember there being any enemy powers to absorb. If there were they must have sucked.

Kirby Super Star Ultra is the best Kirby game in my opinion. The classic Super Star game modes with the new ones they added are just all too good. (I especially love Helper to Hero~) And the game can get quite difficult, which is refreshing because that's something Kirby games often lack. Ah man... we should all post our Arena times and compare~

My favorite theme is Kirby 64's Rock Star, and favorite Dedede theme is a tie between Masked Dedede and the one in Return to Dreamland. (the King is one of my favorite characters as well as one of my Smash mains ^_^)

Back in the day Ice was my favorite ability, but now I've come to love Stone. Also, shoutouts to Water ability in Return to Dreamland for its disgustingly good invincibility.

Ah yeah, speaking of Return to Dreamland, all I need for 100% is a gold medal on the Item Challnge in Extra mode. Need to practice that stuff to get a good run >_>

Edited by Gemma

Kirby Super Star Ultra is the best Kirby game in my opinion. The classic Super Star game modes with the new ones they added are just all too good. (I especially love Helper to Hero~) And the game can get quite difficult, which is refreshing because that's something Kirby games often lack. Ah man... we should all post our Arena times and compare~

This. So much this

One aspect that I enjoy very much about Super Star (Ultra) is that the copy abilities have some variety in their movesets compared to many other kirby games where they have just 1 function. Just played the game again, cleared it 100% and I gotta say, I fucking love the True Arena.

As for Arena time, my best recorded time in True Arena is 5:52:85. I can reach the last 4 in 1:50:xx, Marx Soul in 3:40:xx and potentially get a record of 5:20:xx if I get lucky with how Marx Soul teleports early on.

Edited by Sirius

This. So much this

One aspect that I enjoy very much about Super Star (Ultra) is that the copy abilities have some variety in their movesets compared to many other kirby games where they have just 1 function. Just played the game again, cleared it 100% and I gotta say, I fucking love the True Arena.

As for Arena time, my best recorded time in True Arena is 5:52:85. I can reach the last 4 in 1:50:xx, Marx Soul in 3:40:xx and potentially get a record of 5:20:xx if I get lucky with how Marx Soul teleports early on.

I agree with both of these, though I've only beaten the True Arena once in Super Star Ultra,

Oh gosh, I don't think my True Arena time is very good XD I'm in the same boat as Victor, I've only beaten it once. 10:08:69. I remember I had only a sliver of health facing Marx Soul, so I was camping stone hard. Gosh, that was so intense...

My Helper to Hero time is 7:49:54, but that's with Chilly(Ice). I think that might be a pretty good time for that ability. I think I could beat it with some of the more powerful characters like TAC, Bonkers, Bio Spark, or Rocky. But I never did cause I wanted my Chilly times to be best~

Also, have this

Edited by Gemma

Ah yeah, speaking of Return to Dreamland, all I need for 100% is a gold medal on the Item Challnge in Extra mode. Need to practice that stuff to get a good run >_>

You do know that there are PLATINUM medals, right? :lol:

Best True Arena time: 5:11:00 (Hammer)

Best Helper to Hero time: 4:43:10 (Bonkers)

For those who don't know, you do get a reward for beating Helper to Hero with all characters. Jet, Wing, and Wheel aren't very good for bosses, in my opinion.

For those who don't know, you do get a reward for beating Helper to Hero with all characters. Jet, Wing, and Wheel aren't very good for bosses, in my opinion.

No, I didn't. That makes me really sad now T_T I'm not even gonna bother with that.

That Bonkers time seems pretty legit~ I was working on my Parasol Waddle Dee time this morning, I brought it down to 8:41:54. Parasol absolutely destroys Dyna Blade, that Circus Throw is really strong. The battle only lasted around 10 seconds.

Wing is fun to use, but such low damage isn't really effective. Wheel is definitely limited, and I'm bad at using Jet. I wouldn't say Jet is bad, though.

Okay, so I managed to pick up Kirby: Triple Deluxe yesterday, and having made it through the first two worlds, I'll try to level some of my thoughts without spoiling anything.

This game is seriously freaking fun. There's really no other way of describing it. I decided to turn the 3D slider all the way up for this game, and I'm actually very glad I did that. The game is really intuitive with the 3D imaging the system utilizes, and while it doesn't feel like anything is popping out at you from the game, it actually increases the depth perception that is one of the game's key features. The game utilizes the same graphical style Return to Dreamland used (admittedly, I haven't played as much of Return to Dreamland as I would have liked, having only played it at a friend's house), and the use of rich, 3D environments in the game really does the game justice.

The powers are also really fun to use this time. While it's unfortunate that not every power is present in this title (RIP Water Kirby T_T), plenty of old favorites return for this game, and many of these powers retain their functionality from Return to Dreamland. The new powers in this game, such as Beetle, Bell, Circus, and Archer, are pretty fun to use, each coming with their own plethora of options used to demolish baddies. The Hypernova power that was...er, hyped up for this release, is interesting to use, but it's not the best thing, really. Increased hyper suction power for Kirby is a unique idea, but in the end, all I've used it for is to pull blocks around and suck up multiple baddies at once. There may be other uses for it later, and I like the concept, but the execution is pretty subpar.

I won't spoil the bosses or anything else in particular, so that's all you'll be hearing from me. But yeah, this game is kinda easy, but insanely fun. Pick it up when you can. Not IF you can - WHEN you can. :D

Nice. When fighting Marx Soul, did you get some shots on with the Up + B move? I tried to improve my time yesterday and the bastards always too high for that one.

Also, is it ever possible to beat Masked DDD before he uses that tornado attack? Between that, Marx Soul and Galacta Knight's tankiness, the last 4 add up so much time to the clock.

Edited by Sirius

If Marx splits into two for an attack, you can hit him with Hammer Flip right after the halves combine. You can also use it on Dedede after his spin attack, and Wham Bam Jewel after his slam attacks.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've beaten the story of Triple Deluxe. I only have to complete the "True Arena" and get lots of keychains. So time to do a short review:

Triple Deluxe is probably my favourite game of the entire series. The graphics are colourful, similar to KRTD for Wii. The 3D effect is used very well. I really was impressed, how good the 3D effect was shown. It is the best feature in the game.

In the mainstory the stages and bossfights are creative. There are also a few of new copy abilities in this game.

The difficulty in the mainstory is average or below, which is not surprising, because Kirby games were never hard. It doesn't matter, because the stages have lots of ideas. And it's not easy to find all the objects in the first run. If you need a challange, the "True Arena" really is the challenge! Like I mentioned, I haven't beaten it yet, because it's really though. But I try my best to beat it as soon as possible.

The music is epic as ever. The "Dedede" theme and the theme of the final boss are pure earcandy! Many themes from previous games are remaked or reused. The extrastages include also original themes from KRTD.

The controls are pretty easy. All the copy abilities are explained. This game also supports the mechanic of the 3DS. In some parts you have to move your 3DS to reach your aim (barrel blasts etc.). It's also used in one phase of the final boss.

Overall Kirby Triple Deluxe is a great game and I recommend it to all people, who like platformers or the Kirby franchise.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

Triple Deluxe would be the best Kirby game ever.

But it lacks one very important thing.

KSSU_Wallpaper_Yo-Yo.jpgIs still really good though. I JUST WANT YO-YO BACK DAMMIT.

KTD was pretty good, yo. I really like that they ramped up the difficulty in this game; True Arena is kicking my ass so far, and I completed most of the other TAs without TOO much trouble. Unfortunately I feel like the whole 'flying into the background to attack from there' thing that they did with the bosses in the second half of each fight is kind of a cop-out, with the long gaps between being able to actually do anything to the bosses being a pretty cheap way to instill artificial difficulty. Supernova Kirby as well, while requiring a bit more skill than KRtDL's super abilities, also feels like kind of an artificial lengthener (a lot of the Supernova suction animations don't even require you to do anything once you've held the button down long enough, like the giant red eels or whatever). The minibosses that you fight with Supernova are basically just timing games as well, which gets kind of boring after the first time.

Still, despite my nitpicks I've really enjoyed it. Beetle Kirby too OP I love it

Also Kirby Fighters. I don't know if I love it or hate it, some of the priority on the moves feels kind of cheap but I KEEP PLAYING IT

- favorite game: Tough call, I pretty much like all of them... possibly a tie between Kirby 64/Squeak Squad/one of the 2 most recent games until I decide for sure

- favorite ability: Prrrrrrrrobably Ninja though KTD's Beetle is giving it a run for its money.

- favorite... D3 theme? wat. Nightmare in Dreamland's, I suppose. That's some hot shit

- favorite song Butter Building OFC Though I also really like the Nightmare final battle theme/remix from Canvas Curse

Finally I have managed the True Arena in Kirby Triple Deluxe in my 20th attempt (guessed).

Oh man, this took me time and much patience! It was very VERY challenging! Especially the secret boss was annoying to fight. But the "almighty" hammer managed it, which I lost it against the final boss. So I had no copy ability, which was not too bad.

My time was 00:16:30. I think it's pretty good. My aim will be to beat it in under 00:15:00. I think parasol and leaf are very good abilities too to beat the True Arena fast.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

• 2 weeks later...

Ohohoho, a Kirby thread! Nice!

Aaanyways, I guess I should tell you that I'm going to finish the arena and the true arena.,. AS WHEEL KIRBY! >:D

If you ever want to use Wheel in the Arena, watch out for Queen Sectonia's second phase, as that darn crystal arena dosen't have any barriers, and falling is going to be easy. And watch out for Kracko's second phase, especially when you have to go to the other battlefield.

In other words, STAY AWAY FROM PITS WHEN YOU USE WHEEL IN THE ARENA.