Why do people like Chrom x Olivia?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am I the only person who believes that Olivia was probably the intended waifu instead of Sumia?

Because Chrom only gets to see him in one story scene like the rest of his possible wives with the exception of Sumia?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Because Chrom only gets to see him in one story scene like the rest of his possible wives with the exception of Sumia?

Not what I meant. I mean that Olivia had the same role as Diadora in FE4 in early stages of FE13's development, and that Sumia was going to be an Est clone before she became part Caeda.

What if it's one of those situations where Sumia and Olivia were the same character originally? :p

That's another way of putting it, yes.

i had chrom marry olivia in my original file. i didn't think chrom!inigo was all that great of a unit, despite strengthing him up. i prefer chrom!cynthia, or even chrom!brady. and inigo x lucina is a nice s rank support, as well.

Physical Lucina?

Vantage Lucina?

RFK Inigo for AT & Lethality?

Storywise?

You missed the difficulty of Chrom x Olivia.

If it's not that hard, I'll not be interesting in it that much.

BTW,

1) Lunatic+ no-grind is always conflicting optimal minmaxing so it's meaningless to discuss them together.

2) Normal~Lunatic no-grind is not so difficult that anything hard like Def flaw or Chrom x Olivia is achievable.

3) Chrom!Inigo has versatilities more than power. The problem of this advantage is that it requires leading more than supporting and leading conflicts Aggressor. For this reason, we would like to have 100% AT Double Bow Severa/Noire more than 100% AT Double Bow Inigo.

Edited by MelonGx

I ship Chrom x Olivia because I like their support, I like Inigo as Chrom's son, and just think the two look cute together.

Sumia would be my second choice for Chrom though. I like Maribelle with Gaius a lot more, I can't see Sully becoming a queen, and I'm very anti-Chrom x Avatar.

Sigurd's wife did come from out of nowhere, yes, but she wasn't a dancer.

Thank you for the correction. That's what I get for not playing Genealogy.

Physical Lucina?

Vantage Lucina?

RFK Inigo for AT & Lethality?

Storywise?

You missed the difficulty of Chrom x Olivia.

If it's not that hard, I'll not be interesting in it that much.

BTW,

1) Lunatic+ no-grind is always conflicting optimal minmaxing so it's meaningless to discuss them together.

2) Normal~Lunatic no-grind is not so difficult that anything hard like Def flaw or Chrom x Olivia is achievable.

3) Chrom!Inigo has versatilities more than power. The problem of this advantage is that it requires leading more than supporting and leading conflicts Aggressor. For this reason, we would like to have 100% AT Double Bow Severa/Noire more than 100% AT Double Bow Inigo.

I don't think Chrom/Olivia is hard to achieve so much as it is I believe it's just not worth the hassle... To quote Interceptor:

"It's not just about the waiting, it's also about the contortions that you have to go through to keep people away from Chrom, the Dance grinding, the sub-par starting Lucina, and the awkward situation where you have a backline Dancer with husband/child Support ranks to worry about."

Thank you for the correction. That's what I get for not playing Genealogy.

Neither have I, but I've seen enough to know that Deirdre (the character in question) comes in chapter 1 (the game's dancer comes in chapter 2).

Though I actually really like the idea of Inigo being Chrom's son, if I'm not marrying him then I'll usually pair him with Sumia. IMO, she's just not worth it. It's a massive pain in the ass to keep Chrom away from everyone but Frederick and Lissa for 11 chapters, and then once you do get them married, you have to do a ridiculous amount of grinding on Olivia in order to get her stats up so that Lucina doesn't die to a stiff breeze, never mind if you want her to pass down any non-dancer skills.

Besides, I seem to be the only one that actually likes Sumia and Chrom's support. Chrom and Olivia's, on the other hand...is probably a strong contender for the most awkward support in the game (and yes, I know that you just skip over it all if you marry them).

It wasn't hard for me to pair Chrom with Olivia. I married Avatar and Maribelle to other men, never deployed Sumia, and generally kept Sully away from Chrom. I HAD opened Chrom and Sully's C support for viewing, but I never triggered it. I just glued Chrom to Olivia for the entire duration of chapter 11, gave them a Seed of Trust, and bam, happy couple marries and makes a baby girl. :P

Although I did get lucky and had them converse on an event tile as well. Olivia actually has priority over the other girls if they all are able to have a C support conversation, but none of them have been viewed yet. Otherwise, Sumia has the highest priority. So it's probably safe to say that they are Chrom's most "canon" wives. And I use the term loosely.

Hey, what happened to my last post here? It was a reply to the post above. :/

EDIT: Oh, now it suddenly reappeared. Weird...

Edited by Anacybele

It's not really that hard, I just stick Frederick and Sumia together as soon as I can so they end up getting married before chapter 11 and the other women don't tend to be near Chrom anyways so the only troublesome thing is having to forget the Avatar/Chrom duet of death for a chapter and pair him up with Olivia instead (assuming Male Avatar, whenever I roll Female Avatar she ends up with Chrom so Olivia is out of the question).

The problem is that Lucina starts pretty gimped stat-wise unless you babysit Olivia (grinding isn't actually necessary for this not to happen outside of Lunatic though).

The problem is that Lucina starts pretty gimped stat-wise unless you babysit Olivia (grinding isn't actually necessary for this not to happen outside of Lunatic though).

You can dance abuse if you have a few second seals to spare.

...but do you REALLY want to sit there for a few hundred turns?

*quoted something, posted it, looked back at it*

*raises finger*

*puts finger back down*

--You know what, forget it. It's not even worth it.

I'll just sit back and laugh.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I love how hardly anyone mentions the actual "ship" material in general in this thread.

...I guess my faith in this forum section isn't completely gone.

Generally speaking, the pairing is ass when it comes to actual romance and story reasons. Well...even for Awakening's story. So most people with any lick of common sense and understanding how believable fiction works, arent gonna mention the actual shipping aspect.

I like the pairing though and its strictly for gameplay reasons. I like Olivia's mods for Lucina and the skill/class options. I tend to grind so Olivia winds up with decent stats/skills before i get Lucina anyway.

To those saying you have to bend over backwards to get those two paired, i....im not seeing the difficulty? Maybe its because i play as a Male Avatar the most, but i just put Chrom with Avatar or another dude (like Fred) or one of the girls he cant support with, until Olivia comes along. Its really not that difficult...? I mean, yeah you have to make the conscious decision to pair Olivia with Chrom and actually put in some effort, but its not exactly jumping through flaming hoops. /shrug

I've almost never had any issues pairing Chrom with Olivia, even with a female avatar and using Chrom's other possible wives. The only two times I've had an issue was when I forgot that I wanted to pair Chrom with Olivia and viewed Maribelle and female avatar's C supports with Chrom. So … if you know what you're doing, it's not that hard.

I like Chrom/Olivia because I like Inigo as Chrom's son, use Olivia and her dancing more than Sully and Sumia, would prefer to marry Maribelle and female avatar to someone else, and usually use male avatar anyway.

Edited by Sangyul

Generally speaking, the pairing is ass when it comes to actual romance and story reasons. Well...even for Awakening's story. So most people with any lick of common sense and understanding how believable fiction works, arent gonna mention the actual shipping aspect.

Oooh, shots fired.

I have tried this pairing a few times. In general I prefer Sumia to be paired with Chrom, primarily because Sumia is a better combat unit that can utilize Chrom more effectively (100% Dual Strike).

However,

When I use the ChromxSumia pairing I never seem to know what to do with Olivia. I've tried OliviaxStahl, OliviaxLibra, OliviaxRicken, OliviaxHenry and OliviaxLon'qu, Stahl honestly felt like one of the better pairings because I tended to like having Inigo be physical (the only problem is Stahl is in high demand for many of the children). Inigo as a physical unit needs very little to be effective (Olivia gives him most of his tool box) adding Luna and a positive str modifier is enough. Chrom easily gives Inigo what he wants to be a physical unit. Utilizing ChromxOliva lets you use SumiaxHenry which arguably produces a better Cynthia (but Henry is another parent that has multiple uses and is a surprisingly good father!).

You can do some silly things with Dancer Olivia and Paladin/Sniper Chrom. Example: Give a maxed out Olivia boots and put her in Dancer with Limit breaker, Astra, Swordfaire, Galeforce and All stats+2 or special dance and have Chrom supporting with Limit breaker, Dual Strike+, Aggressor, Sword/Bowfaire and all stats+2 or Dual Guard+. Have Olivia lead the attack (this needs boots, movement 5 doesn't cut it), with a brave sword and Chrom supporting she can easily take down most enemies, trigger galeforce but don't use her again just yet. Follow up with your other units and as your battle line moves up Olivia can fix an attack that went wrong (by getting that unit to act again with special dance) or just let a completed galeforcer go again. Is this optimal? no... but it is pretty amusing.

Those of you saying that a romance between Chrom and Olivia would be unrealistic, that is incorrect. It's true that it isn't COMMON in real life for relationships to progress quickly, but it can happen. I know, because I knew a couple that got engaged TWO MONTHS after they first met. And they first met online. I don't know if they're still married, but I do remember them being very close even after a short amount of time.

Besides, obviously Chrom and Olivia did their support conversations off screen in the time between chapter 11 and the two-year time skip.

There are lots of things that happen in this world that are considered unrealistic to many people. That doesn't give it a free pass for something unrealistic to happen in a story without going into it even a little. Because let's face it, most if not all FE games have had an "unrealistic" love system. Talk to someone three times in FE7 and FE8, and you're in love and married at the end of the game. Sometimes with no other bits of dialogue aside from those supports. But they at least SHOW that development happening so we can sort of accept it.

Chrom/Olivia don't get to support in the game. The only time you see their supports is when Chrom is married to someone else, in which you CAN'T marry her. That's what people don't like. A game with unrealistic love supports that are made believable through support conversations. And this is a pair in which you don't even get that?

Basically, feel free to like Chrom/Olivia all you want. If it makes sense to you, more power to you. But PLEASE stop telling people they're incorrect for believing that Chrom/Olivia is unrealistic. They're not incorrect.