Why do people like Chrom x Olivia?

^Gaius is best used elsewhere anyway because *~Galeforce~*

*jazzhands* Noire or Kjelle love having pegknight options.

Im also not huge on the supports between Gaius and Sumia.

I usually pair Tharja with Gregor, though, haha.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Chrom/Sumia as shoving the pairing in your face, not really. I feel that Sumia's personality is that of being "devoted" to Chrom more so than the other women. While Maribelle is dedicated to Lissa, Sully focuses on her training, and Olivia on dancing, Sumia is more "proactive" in pursuing Chrom than the other women. So that's why she has more scenes with him, because she is more focused on him than his other possible wives.

Armsthrift+Sol+Luna+Bowfaire+Swordfaire shenanigans.

Also the hair color suits her, IMO

Ill have to try that one sometime. Im not sure if ive paired those two before to be honest. Im such a Breaker fangirl that i tend to go for the pairings that offer the most Breaker skills.

I don't see Chrom/Sumia as shoving the pairing in your face, not really. I feel that Sumia's personality is that of being "devoted" to Chrom more so than the other women. While Maribelle is dedicated to Lissa, Sully focuses on her training, and Olivia on dancing, Sumia is more "proactive" in pursuing Chrom than the other women. So that's why she has more scenes with him, because she is more focused on him than his other possible wives.

Yeah...

Theres also that voice clip that seems to be exclusive to Chrom's supports which...comes off as kind of terrible and desperate. I blame the writing more than the character though. Sumia's pursuit of Chrom isnt handled that badly imo. I think its kind of sweet how she wins him over through his stomach and then begins to bond with him. Dat S Support is bad doe.

Indeed. In fact, and im the last person to make this kind of argument, but hating Sumia because of this reason smacks of sexism something fierce and its nauseating. After careful observation, this seems to be the root of why Sumia is so loathed by Chrom/Avatar fans.

tumblr_inline_mz2b2n1zg91s8aoba.gif

Damn it Loki why do you always have the best gifs

Lol, Chrom x FeMU fans jelly that Sumia is the preferred girl. This has been a problem since the game came out.

Nah, that honor goes to Chrom.

FP3 Grima: Lololol I killed Chrom!

Inigo: ...You killed my father. Prepare to die.

And the post of the year award goes to you!

Armsthrift+Sol+Luna+Bowfaire+Swordfaire shenanigans.

Also the hair color suits her, IMO

Gregor's red hair contrasts with Noire's green outfit so perfectly it is ridiculous.

Loki Laufeyson, on 05 Jul 2014 - 4:34 PM, said:

tumblr_inline_mrxly2OvUZ1qz4rgp.gif

Zounds, lad! Thats hilarious!! I just..ahaha...

Chrom/FemaleAvatar have like no chemistry in their supports. Virion/Female Avatar is hawt cuz they bond over strategy!

Thing is, the game doesnt shove Chrom/Sumia down your throat as much as the Chrom/Avatar shippers like to claim. Sure, theres all these things saying "psssst...hey...its a good idea to pair these two. Look, it makes sense storywise." but the game is also saying "You dont HAVE to pair these two if you dont want to. There are other options." Yeah it does boil my beans that i cant pair Chrom with Miriel so the sibling dynamic between Lucina and Laurent would be very interesting due to Laurent's time travel arrival being different. Or that Tharja/Chrom cant happen cuz holy crap that would be hilarious. Or Chrom/Panne cannot exist and one of my stupid headcanon ideas of the Taguel race being protected through Chrom's rule. But seriously, hating Sumia because of that is freaking ridiculous. Its silly to pin hatred on a character when that character really isnt the reason why Chrom's choices are so limited.

I actually get sad that Sumia's options are limited. I wanted Cynthia to be Virion's child once. Just cuz how cute would that freaking be? Or a Gregor/Sumia support would just..i would melt into goo due to the moe. Lon'qu/Sumia cannot happen either and his supports with her could be damn cute. Or the odd couple of Vaike/Sumia, or Ricken and Sumia cheering each other on and bonding over their own short comings. AND WHY THE FUCK CANT SHE MARRY STAHL! THEY WOULD BE PERFECT TOGETHER!

:(: I actually have a massive soft spot for Sumia so her lack of options upsets me more than Chrom's.

Besides, Inigo is the most Montoya when he's Avatar's kid.

The point is hating the character for that reason is actually pretty shallow. If someone dislikes her for her personality or character quirks, i can understand. But hating the character and bashing her for the limited options that also extend to her, is really kinda crappy.

Sorry? I don't want to fight. I have already said that I don't like Sumia not only because she is the preferred person to support him with either. I don't like her character because all she has going for her is falling on her face, which is pretty Bella-esque if you ask me. There, I'm done. I will move on so this won't get ugly.

I usually pair Tharja with Gregor, though, haha.

I really enjoy their supports. Their support really builds on Gregor's character. I am always conflicted with them because I want him with other people too (Except Miriel. I am doing him and Miriel now and I regret the Laurent that came out from them.... That magic stat is depressing as it hasn't grown once since he promoted into a sage. D:) and I also want Gaius with Tharja too. D:

Sorry? I don't want to fight. I have already said that I don't like Sumia not only because she is the preferred person to support him with either. I don't like her character because all she has going for her is falling on her face, which is pretty Bella-esque if you ask me. There, I'm done. I will move on so this won't get ugly.

Wow, you did NOT just compare Sumia to Bella.

Bella is considered a terrible character because she has a tendency to come off as very unappreciative of the people around her. She does not care about her father. She does not care about the human friends she has. She doesn't even seem to care about her life. And yet, all these supernatural creatures (and human boys) want her for reasons that are not at all understandable. The entire story is about her. Everything is about her. Sumia may be clumsy, but she cares about everyone. Not just Chrom, but all of the Shepherds. Yes, she screws up at times, but unlike Bella she's not an "all-about-me" black hole that everyone in the entire universe loves for no reason whatsoever. The poor girl only has five actual supports :/

I actually get sad that Sumia's options are limited. I wanted Cynthia to be Virion's child once. Just cuz how cute would that freaking be? Or a Gregor/Sumia support would just..i would melt into goo due to the moe. Lon'qu/Sumia cannot happen either and his supports with her could be damn cute. Or the odd couple of Vaike/Sumia, or Ricken and Sumia cheering each other on and bonding over their own short comings. AND WHY THE FUCK CANT SHE MARRY STAHL! THEY WOULD BE PERFECT TOGETHER!

:(: I actually have a massive soft spot for Sumia so her lack of options upsets me more than Chrom's.

Also can you imagine the adorableness that would be Kellam/Sumia? Virion/Sumia where Virion helps her with her insecurities and assures her that no lady such as herself could ever be stupid or useless?

...I also have a massive soft spot for Sumia, in case you couldn't tell.

FP3 Grima: Lololol I killed Chrom!

Inigo: ...You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I'm almost tempted to sig this...

Edited by Emerald Ink

The funniest part about the above post, the same phrases are being said.

ngFExJm.png

I6byKvw.png

OJR6FQz.png

0Jfd1y1.png

9HgMauV.png

He saying Sumia is a terrible unit is what gets me. She's a great unit in every way. Great in LTC, great in casual, great in min maxing (being the only parent unit besides the avatar that have a perfect skill set). I just don't understand.

Wow, you did NOT just compare Sumia to Bella.

Bella is considered a terrible character because she has a tendency to come off as very unappreciative of the people around her. She does not care about her father. She does not care about the human friends she has. She doesn't even seem to care about her life. And yet, all these supernatural creatures (and human boys) want her for reasons that are not at all understandable. The entire story is about her. Everything is about her. Sumia may be clumsy, but she cares about everyone. Not just Chrom, but all of the Shepherds. Yes, she screws up at times, but unlike Bella she's not an "all-about-me" black hole that everyone in the entire universe loves for no reason whatsoever. The poor girl only has five actual supports :/

Oh well, Bella's clumsiness is just there. It does nothing for the story. Sumia's clumsiness is hilarious. She can be unbelievably dumb sometimes.

He saying Sumia is a terrible unit is what gets me. She's a great unit in every way. Great in LTC, great in casual, great in min maxing (being the only parent unit besides the avatar that have a perfect skill set). I just don't understand.

I like her as pair fodder. She gives good speed to whoever she's paired with.

Edited by Bird Jesus

Oh well, Bella's clumsiness is just there. It does nothing for the story. Sumia's clumsiness is hilarious. She can be unbelievably dumb sometimes.

The problem is that this person sounds like she's comparing Sumia's character to Bella's character JUST BECAUSE they're both clumsy when that's basically the ONLY thing they have in common at all. Bella, a character who's basically hated by non-Twilight fans and considered a "Mary Sue". Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing a funny implication there.

Edited by Sangyul

Damn it Loki why do you always have the best gifs

Lol, Chrom x FeMU fans jelly that Sumia is the preferred girl. This has been a problem since the game came out.

And the post of the year award goes to you!

Gregor's red hair contrasts with Noire's green outfit so perfectly it is ridiculous.

Because im the mothergrabbin' god of mischief!

That jelly happens to arise from an inherent sexism against "competing women" and its pretty farking nasty. Shit gets all venomous as a result. That, and notice how theres no "blame" placed on Chrom for having the same limits on potential marriages and his character is often absolved of any wrongdoing that could interfere with the preferred fandom ship. No, all of that is shifted to Sumia because shes the dastardly female out to get the handsome prince away from the Avatar. When you really think about it, that kind of jealousy and where it comes from, it gets ugly. So very unpleasant indeed.

Also can you imagine the adorableness that would be Kellam/Sumia? Virion/Sumia where Virion helps her with her insecurities and assures her that no lady such as herself could ever be stupid or useless?

...I also have a massive soft spot for Sumia, in case you couldn't tell.

Virion and Sumia supports would have her indirectly wooing him with her flower fortunes. ;):

Pahahah what? Fighting? Whos fighting? So you assume discussing the source of unfair hate toward a character is Shipping Wars and fighting? Really? Wowowow thats freakin funny! You have no idea how much im laughing right now. Let us ignore your unfair comparison of Sumia to the world's biggest and most famous Canon Sue in existence. (cuz really thats bunk and on board with the misuse of the Mary Sue term) NO, OBVIOUSLY TALKING ABOUT THIS STUFF IS FISTICUFFS!

tumblr_lrzuvfWQYq1qko4x4o1_400.gif

Well, she gives a hell of a lot more than just good speed, especially as a mom to Cynthia, but that's another reason why I wish she'd be able to marry more people. Kellam!Cynthia, Stahl!Cynthia, Gregor!Cynthia, and even Vaike!Cynthia would all benefit immensely from the combination of their dad's Strength stat (or, in Kellam!Cynthia's case, his Defense) and Sumia's Skill and Speed (plus, those Barbarian skills would be a nice perk), whereas Virion!Cynthia, Lon'qu!Cynthia, or Donnel!Cynthia would probably be a solid contender for having the highest Skill or Speed in the game barring 3rd gen Morgan.

Honestly, I think most of the reason I don't pair Chrom and Olivia together more often is because of Sumia's limited support pool. Awkward supports or no, Olivia is my second-favorite non-avatar wife for Chrom, and apparently unlike a lot of people I like to mix it up and marry someone different every time. I'm fine with Chrom having a limited marriage pool, but poor Sumia would've had so many adorable supports with the a lot of the other guys, and I would've loved to see how they turned out.

Virion and Sumia supports would have her indirectly wooing him with her flower fortunes. ;):

Yes I approve of this.

And they would propose by making each other flower crowns.

Edited by Emerald Ink

Yes I approve of this.

And they would propose by making each other flower crowns.

Thou, my dear, knowest what is up. :V

The problem is that this person sounds like she's comparing Sumia's character to Bella's character JUST BECAUSE they're both clumsy when that's basically the ONLY thing they have in common at all. Bella, a character who's basically hated by non-Twilight fans and considered a "Mary Sue". Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing a funny implication there.

It aint just you. ;): You arent seeing things.

This is one of the reasons why Sumia tends to wind up with Frederick when im doing runs where Chrom marries Olivia or Maribelle. On the higher difficulties, Fred can really use that speed boost. Especially later in the game when he begins to dip a bit, performance wise. My personal bias says Sumia > Cordelia.

B:

Thou, my dear, knowest what is up. :V

Virion would be dashing as hell in a flower crown. And he would be so embarrassed because he thinks it looks ridiculous but seeing him wear it makes Sumia so damn happy that he wouldn't be able to help but be happy too. Dammit, why am I starting to seriously ship this.

Honestly, I think most of the reason I don't pair Chrom and Olivia together more often is because of Sumia's limited support pool. Awkward supports or no, Olivia is my second-favorite non-avatar wife for Chrom, and apparently unlike a lot of people I like to mix it up and marry someone different every time. I'm fine with Chrom having a limited marriage pool, but poor Sumia would've had so many adorable supports with the a lot of the other guys, and I would've loved to see how they turned out.

Admittedly, I like to mix it up as well - as much as primarily alternating between Sumia and Maribelle can be considered "mixing it up", that is.

Virion would be dashing as hell in a flower crown. And he would be so embarrassed because he thinks it looks ridiculous but seeing him wear it makes Sumia so damn happy that he wouldn't be able to help but be happy too. Dammit, why am I starting to seriously ship this.

Because it should have been able to happen, dammit! ;): Just like how Sumia stumbles over herself and "finds" Kellam. They discuss how shes always tripping over her own boots and he can never be seen. And how she actually goes out of her way to find him (even if hes standing right in front of her lol). And then she trips and he catches her and the S support happens. It would be fucking adorable goddammit.

But let us take a moment to imagine a Libra/Sumia pairing and the supports therein. Close your eyes and imagine it....

*~GLORIOUS MOE!!!~*

Because it should have been able to happen, dammit! ;): Just like how Sumia stumbles over herself and "finds" Kellam. They discuss how shes always tripping over her own boots and he can never be seen. And how she actually goes out of her way to find him (even if hes standing right in front of her lol). And then she trips and he catches her and the S support happens. It would be fucking adorable goddammit.

But let us take a moment to imagine a Libra/Sumia pairing and the supports therein. Close your eyes and imagine it....

*~GLORIOUS MOE!!!~*

Oh god, help, my heart. It's too much. I wants it, precious -

*ahem*

yes anyway so Chrom and Olivia.

I don't like her character because all she has going for her is falling on her face, which is pretty Bella-esque if you ask me. There, I'm done. I will move on so this won't get ugly.

I don't know about you guys but what I'm seeing here:

> Comparing to an infamous, extremely terrible character

> Getting the final word

...I almost have the sneaking suspicion that the person in the screenshots might be this SF member.

Are you trying to cause an internet backdraft or something?

Be my guest, I'd love to be in a sig. I might even make a screenshot to go along with it (Chrom!Inigo as a Hero with Str capped and proper skills is a few points over the threshold to crit OHKO FP3 Grima with the Vengeance Axe, if Pavise doesn't activate).

Well, she gives a hell of a lot more than just good speed, especially as a mom to Cynthia, but that's another reason why I wish she'd be able to marry more people. Kellam!Cynthia, Stahl!Cynthia, Gregor!Cynthia, and even Vaike!Cynthia would all benefit immensely from the combination of their dad's Strength stat (or, in Kellam!Cynthia's case, his Defense) and Sumia's Skill and Speed (plus, those Barbarian skills would be a nice perk), whereas Virion!Cynthia, Lon'qu!Cynthia, or Donnel!Cynthia would probably be a solid contender for having the highest Skill or Speed in the game barring 3rd gen Morgan.

Kellam's mods clash horrifically with Sumia's and he has double class overlap (only Thief would get passed down). It could be aesthetically pleasing, but I'd never do Sumia x Kellam for gameplay.

Lon'qu/Virion!Cynthia would be incredible though, and Gregor!Cynthia could be the Hero she's always wanted to be.

> Getting the final word

...I almost have the sneaking suspicion that the person in the screenshots might be this SF member.

Check her join date if you have doubts.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

This thread really took an odd turn from being a question of whether Chrom x Olivia is a good pairing to an argument about Sumia not being a good character. Can't say I'm surprised, but still, how did it come to this?

Be my guest, I'd love to be in a sig. I might even make a screenshot to go along with it (Chrom!Inigo as a Hero with Str capped and proper skills is a few points over the threshold to crit OHKO FP3 Grima with the Vengeance Axe, if Pavise doesn't activate).

Kellam's mods clash horrifically with Sumia's and he has double class overlap (only Thief would get passed down). It could be aesthetically pleasing, but I'd never do Sumia x Kellam for gameplay.

Lon'qu/Virion!Cynthia would be incredible though, and Gregor!Cynthia could be the Hero she's always wanted to be.

If you ever do make that screenshot to go along with it, let me know, and I'll sig the whole thing.

Okay yeah Kellam!Cynthia might not be as amazing as some of the other fathers stat-wise, but my god, would that support be adorable. Gives me warm fuzzies inside just thinking about it.

Okay yeah Kellam!Cynthia might not be as amazing as some of the other fathers stat-wise, but my god, would that support be adorable. Gives me warm fuzzies inside just thinking about it.

Yeah Sumia/Kellam isnt about gameplay. Its about ADORABLE!!!

:V

I did nearly forget about Sumia's knight option. Hueeee....

> Getting the final word

Hooooahh! It could be! And much less on the offensive for there are more opponents to dodge instead of a one-on-one! Either way you look at it, theres shit disturbing to be had! :o:

*smirk* And..theres no need to bust out the flow chat again, Rey...ahahah

Anyways, I am going to Rerail the conversation back to Chrom x Olivia. I only did this as I wanted to marry my sister off to Inigo.... (Which sounds wrong, especially coz I married Chrom lolol) #Seriously screwed up family

So, Inigo is seriously strong. He's kicking ass using RK, GF, Armshrift, Sol and Astra. :D If paired with my sister, he has stats that are literally to die for (especially if you encounter his Killing Edge) :D But then... Inigo always works well whenever I get him.