How is your style of play in Fire Emblem?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play at relatively fast pace but I also try to avoid casualties, so enemies with high crit or risky, mobile bosses see me slowing down to regroup. Though it depends on the run, if I'm playing under a different ruleset my gameplay changes accordingly.

Depends on the level. I use a mix of defensive and offensive strategies. On some of the earlier chapters, my "Jagen" character is usually the one taking the lead, and weakening the boss for the lower level characters. Other levels, I tend to move slowly and carefully, so that I don't end up getting someone killed. I don't usually wait for the enemy to strike in most cases. For the hit rate, I tend to attack if the enemy hit rate is 20% or lower. Otherwise, I tend to leave the enemy for a more powerful unit.

Edited by DragonLord

I tend to play at my own pace. I'm not one for rushing things, but I also don't turtle. I just complete the map with a full roster of characters and try to get through it while making sure everyone gets their fair share of exp.

I don't mind taking risks when attacking, unless the opponent is able to kill my unit with one counterattack.

One thing I need to work on is not hording items. If I get a great item then the chances are pretty high that I end up never using the thing.

I play defensively, holding the turbo button for past FE, I turtle even when i try to go for a low turn count. I enjoy feeding kills to low level units thats why I am not touching Lunatic reverse in a good while. Promoting? whenever I feel like 10 or 20 is the same to me, feeding lords kills whenever i think they do not hold their own.

In every Game but Awakening... in which you practically HAVE to run in and kill everyone, I try to make horizontal Lines that allow every tank to handle two guys at once, and have the ranged units behind them to have 3 possible targets. this also allows healers a chance to be between two tanks prone to taking massive amounts of damage.

I try to play efficiently, evening out exp and saving as much weapon uses as possible while killing as many units as I can safely per turn.

If we're simply talking combat-wise...

I generally play defensively, paying close attention to the enemy's attack range, and putting the appropriate unit there to take him out.

Unless my unit can one-shot/one-round the enemy without getting damaged (or without getting hit too hard), I never attack first.

Defense and offense whenever the need be. Since I like using my healers to be combat units eventually I tend to slow down a lot to get them some experience.

After a while I just throw my strong units into the wild and watch them roam free. It doesn't end well for the enemy.

With me, its a casual efficiency. Like, im not blitzkreiging through chapters too much, but im not a slow ass who takes hella turns. (unless im deliberately doing that to train a particular unit or trying to nab the treasure in a chapter.) In Tellius games, im much more quick cuz i want the BEXP. So im like the happy medium between conscious efficiency and faffing around for the lulz. I use the guys i like that i know get the job done. If im using someone like Nino, its because shits and giggles.

I recently learned the value of effective EP positioning. So now I turtle a bit more. Overextending without knowing what comes next tends to fuck me over anyway.

With me, its a casual efficiency. Like, im not blitzkreiging through chapters too much, but im not a slow ass who takes hella turns. (unless im deliberately doing that to train a particular unit or trying to nab the treasure in a chapter.) In Tellius games, im much more quick cuz i want the BEXP. So im like the happy medium between conscious efficiency and faffing around for the lulz. I use the guys i like that i know get the job done. If im using someone like Nino, its because shits and giggles.

This sounds exactly like me pretty much.

The first few chapters: Do calculations and place units in specific spots to where if they will get hit by every possible enemy they will survive

The rest of the game: LTC it up and speed through chapters with little abandon and overpowered units

I didn't mention this last time, but I tend to avoid letting enemies with enhanced critical rate get the first strike, or send either a unit who has enough luck to completely negate the threat of a critical hit or enough defense to stay alive in case a crit DOES happen to draw them out.

This sounds exactly like me pretty much.

Third here. I'm not aiming for LTC/efficiency, but I'm not trying to take forever on the maps unless I have to lug a 5 MOV character halfway across the map to get to a village (basically, visiting villages for money with my foot healers in Genealogy)

Most often counterattacking, I suppose- less trying to sustain a rapid assault than, say, drawing out the enemy using a unit who'll be in as little danger as possible, then punishing the units that get out of safe position, sometimes spending a bit of time regrouping along the way to try to keep myself safe while still advancing overall. My pet aversion is to putting my units in range of an enemy, though, so this sometimes leads to a turtling dance if the enemy's not advancing and I don't outrange/1RKO it. Also more an item/exp/overall content munchkin than a speed player (spend literally over 40 turns to build a single support level in the GBA games in one chapter? Don't mind if I do!)

Situations under which I'll allow a unit to die: if it was a -really cool- circumstance/sacrifice that's at least as memorable as saying I got them through alive, and; if I'm to the point of 90% fed up or more, haven't seen a checkpoint in "forever," and cannot be arsed (and preferably, in a value judgment, weigh my being fed up as more significant than going back to save them (sorry, Laura))

I'm horrible at strategy and too impatient to be careful, so I usually just move all my units somewhere into the enemy range, end turn, and hope nobody dies.

Edited by Azura

I love to take my time looking at enemy troops, so i can change my strategy accordingly: A swift blitz if enemies are weak, or a defense oriented approach if they're strong

• 3 weeks later...

The way I play FE is usually pretty unique. Most of the time, on my first playthrough of each game, I find out about 4-7 of the only units I want to use in the game. Then I sink all of my EXP into them and make them the best as can be. Then, I play the game a second time and add a few units to my main team that I didn't use last time.

I usually actually strategize, but ever since I started playing on an emulator, I did a lot less calculating and more rushing to kill everything in sight. Save states are quite handy.

Myrms are my pride and joy, and I almost aalways use 1 every playthrough, except for Awakening since they aren't the best in that game. I hate fighters/pirates (With Boyd being my only exception), Armored Knights (Gatrie and Oswin are the only good ones I've ever had), Pegasus Knights (Nothing for this one), Cavaliers, (Titania and Oscar in RD were fine), Archers (Rolf in both games, Noire in FE13) and pretty much any pre-promote, especially the early game ones. Annnd I never quite got the charm of mercs. Severa, Inigo, and Raven were the only good ones I ever had.

The funny thing is, my cousin LOVES cavaliers, yet hates myrms. I LOVE myrms, but hate cavaliers.

Edited by Comatose

The same way I play Ace Attorney: Do something and hope the odds are in my favor.

Well not really.

I tend to play passively when I'm in a disadvantage, then switch to aggressive when there are few enemies remaining. Sometimes this makes me forget about enemy reinforcements, though. I also try to EXP hog as much as I can.

Changes depending on playthrough. If we are talking merely casual no ranks or anything like that, I go slow and steady and use whoever I please, even if they are "bad" by the tier list. I also get every item and stuff like that.

Ranked, or hard modes I play much more agressively.