The next FE Lord: What would you want him or her to be like?

Anacybele

Micaiah can't be any younger than 27, so she's the eldest Lord.

Having a "secretly 1000 years old" trait does not translate into Doylist age. Micaiah clearly looks 15 or 14, thus she is 15 or 14.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A well-intentioned prince looking to liberate their country and bring peace to the world but slowly starts to overshoot and fall for their own ambitions.

Meanwhile the Avatar functions as their moral compass who may or may not bring the Lord back to their senses or redeem them in some other way.

I have a feeling this'll end up being the plot for a game about Chrom's dad.

Having a "secretly 1000 years old" trait does not translate into Doylist age. Micaiah clearly looks 15 or 14, thus she is 15 or 14.

micaiah neither looks nor acts like she's 15 lmao

micaiah neither looks nor acts like she's 15 lmao

Neither do a lot of characters in fiction. 14-17 is the main age for characters in Japanese games.

Neither do a lot of characters in fiction. 14-17 is the main age for characters in Japanese games.

i'm going to take this as you agree with me, which means that your statement has become that micaiah does not look or act like she's 15, and she is canonically not 15, but she is 15.

Micaiah can't be any younger than 27, so she's the eldest Lord.

The only lord that is "older", and yet she still has to look younger.

But how do you know she's 27 or older, curious. I figure with branded status she'd be probably in her 20's, but I am actually curious as to how you know.

It's canon that Branded age slower, so if she looks 15 she's likely to be twice that age.

........How do you upload images? I wanna add the "Nicholas Cage You Don't Say Face" image here.

The only lord that is "older", and yet she still has to look younger.

But how do you know she's 27 or older, curious. I figure with branded status she'd be probably in her 20's, but I am actually curious as to how you know.

There's the CG with her and a young Sothe, and Micaiah says she met him more than 10 years ago, but she looks exactly the same then as she does now. Developer notes say Micaiah looks about 16. Assuming that she met Sothe right as she stopped ageing, and adding the smallest possible amount over 10, she's 27 at youngest.

An older lord is an interesting idea, but I don't think it would work as well as a younger one. The lords being younger means they're inexperienced and have a lot of room to grow and develop as characters. An older one wouldn't have so much room and that's a reason the Jagens are more often than not older, experienced folks. Sometimes even elderly in the case of Jagen himself and FE6 Marcus.

I would go for the idea of a lord that's maybe 20-22 and just had a kid though. A la Chrom, except the lord became a parent prior to the beginning of the game rather than in the middle of it.

Oh, it really can work. Its just a different set of issues to work with is all. Like, instead of Stock FE Story about inexperienced noble fights for the morally superior cause and then must defeat world threatening Big Bad Thing, we could go a different direction. Like Older Noble who must learn to be flexible. Or if we want to keep playing on the inexperienced route, like my first post in this thread: Happily Married Lady has her Actually Ruling Husband die (likely assassination from Enemy Nation) and has to learn how to rule in his stead because the children are still toddlers. Thus also dodging people within her own nation's government who are trying to shunt her aside and put up puppet rulers, etc.

And then the Big World Threatening Issue can happen after she uncovers the truth about the Enemy Nation. It could work really well even within the player demographic. Theres a lot of room in FE scenarios to get creative like that. Hell, even a time skip during the middle of the game, where Lady Lord's first born grows up and gets to take on the Big World Threatening Issue. (Bonus points if said child is also female. Booyah!)

As for the Jeigan, they dont really need to be older than the Lord. In real life medieval times, most rulers were protected by younger knights anyway. Especially if they had earned their knighthood through deeds while still a squire. So yeah. Say the main Lord is like 30, but her Jeigan is still Paladin but about 25. The dynamic can still work, only the conversations and supports will not be Older Knight Advising Young Lord as much as Knight Serves Lord And They Talk About Serious Matters. Plenty room for character development. (and bamfy bases for Jeigan)

Which is funny considering that you said that you hate children...

Your point being? |:/

My dislike for children has nothing to do with it. My point is that as a player over 30, id like to see a Lord or situation in FE that i can relate to, or get on the level with. Its why i tend to favor older characters in the series to begin with. Like Duessel, Haar, Garcia, Canas, Renault, Gregor, etc. It just would be ALL THE NICER to have a character in the 25 -45 age range being a Lord and facing the trials that tend to be most common of those in that age range. Chief among said trials, children and the fears that arise from them being in a war-torn setting.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

It's canon that Branded age slower, so if she looks 15 she's likely to be twice that age.

I'm well aware, but was it ever apparent exactly how slow they aged? It's not like I wouldn't believe it, but I'm just wondering if there was any reasoning behind it.

There's the CG with her and a young Sothe, and Micaiah says she met him more than 10 years ago, but she looks exactly the same then as she does now. Developer notes say Micaiah looks about 16. Assuming that she met Sothe right as she stopped ageing, and adding the smallest possible amount over 10, she's 27 at youngest.

Fair enough. I looked up Sigurd and his age isn't apparent either - though I'd imagine he's likely to be in twenties so perhaps close.

ages man

Edited by Tryhard

Oh, it really can work. Its just a different set of issues to work with is all. Like, instead of Stock FE Story about inexperienced noble fights for the morally superior cause and then must defeat world threatening Big Bad Thing, we could go a different direction. Like Older Noble who must learn to be flexible. Or if we want to keep playing on the inexperienced route, like my first post in this thread: Happily Married Lady has her Actually Ruling Husband die (likely assassination from Enemy Nation) and has to learn how to rule in his stead because the children are still toddlers. Thus also dodging people within her own nation's government who are trying to shunt her aside and put up puppet rulers, etc.

And then the Big World Threatening Issue can happen after she uncovers the truth about the Enemy Nation. It could work really well even within the player demographic. Theres a lot of room in FE scenarios to get creative like that. Hell, even a time skip during the middle of the game, where Lady Lord's first born grows up and gets to take on the Big World Threatening Issue. (Bonus points if said child is also female. Booyah!)

Huh, I guess a scenario like this could work. It would depend on what IS would do with such an idea though.

Oh, and just a little tidbit about my character Azura that I forgot to mention. She's actually a little older than most lords in the series. She's 20, which I believe is practically RD Ike's age. Because truth be told, I was kinda getting tired of 17 year olds being lords. And I really don't like how we have lords as young as Roy (I heard he's only 15, what). Heck, I don't know if I can be interested in FE6 because almost all of its playable cast is made up of kids. :/ That just seems far too unrealistic to me. I also heard that Lyn in Japanese is 15 as well, and I'm glad the English version upped her age to 18.

Edited by Anacybele

that's another thing whats with Nintendo and dragons they have them as final bosses but never as normal bosses

Hey, there's that manakete boss in FE6 who isn't even a particularly major boss. Also, Zelda has plenty of normal boss dragons.

EDIT-Wow I should read topics all the way before responding. This point was already made.

Edited by SeverIan

Fair enough. I looked up Sigurd and his age isn't apparent either - though I'd imagine he's likely to be in twenties so perhaps close.

ages man

basically what you do is accept that developers' canon ages in japanese video games are pretty much horseshit

I felt like Roy being 15 kinda gave him a little potential for character development that was sadly unused. They really could have highlighted the whole thing about how Hector's untimely death put the weight of the League's entire war plan on a child. Maybe even include a scene with Eliwood freaking out because he wants to be there for his son but his illness prevented him while also dealing with the grief of his best friend's death. So Roy is a case where being too young actually could pave the way for character development.

I do agree that an older Lord would be a very nice change to the series. Micaiah was pretty good but overshadowed halfway into her game.

Edited by Alertcircuit

And I really don't like how we have lords as young as Roy (I heard he's only 15, what). Heck, I don't know if I can be interested in FE6 because almost all of its playable cast is made up of kids. :/ That just seems far too unrealistic to me.

Roy from prototype FE6 looks like 11.

FE6A.PNG

basically what you do is accept that developers' canon ages in japanese video games are pretty much horseshit

yeah you're right

Edited by Tryhard

Huh, I guess a scenario like this could work. It would depend on what IS would do with such an idea though.

Oh, and just a little tidbit about my character Azura that I forgot to mention. She's actually a little older than most lords in the series. She's 20, which I believe is practically RD Ike's age. Because truth be told, I was kinda getting tired of 17 year olds being lords. And I really don't like how we have lords as young as Roy (I heard he's only 15, what). Heck, I don't know if I can be interested in FE6 because almost all of its playable cast is made up of kids. :/ That just seems far too unrealistic to me. I also heard that Lyn in Japanese is 15 as well, and I'm glad the English version upped her age to 18.

Well i get why IS does that cuz they are trying to appeal to a certain demographic and people like seeing pretty teenagers doing cool stuff. And no, im not really asking for FE to become Game of Thrones or anything but given the popularity of that show, who knows. The localization for Awakening pinged my GoT radar. Hard. At least in terms of mature themes. (overt sex, etc) I just want some slightly more realistic scenarios and older main Lords. Stuff can still be lighthearted.

But yeah, 15 year old Lords, no thanks pls. I can let a 15 year old recruitable character happen (as long as they arent like, everyone ever being 15) but as a main Lord, it makes me wonder why people would really follow them....

But yeah, 15 year old Lords, no thanks pls. I can let a 15 year old recruitable character happen (as long as they arent like, everyone ever being 15) but as a main Lord, it makes me wonder why people would really follow them....

I agree that I'd rather not have 15 year old Lords, although 15 years has been well enough for one to be considered an adult in some societies. Perhaps that societal consensus applies to the Elibe setting for example.

I mean, that would probably be the excuse they'd use for casting pre-teens as their protagonists.

Edited by Topazd255

Roy from prototype FE6 looks like 11.

FE6A.PNG

Geez, he sure does. :/ And that hair, wtf. It looks stupid as fuck.

Well i get why IS does that cuz they are trying to appeal to a certain demographic and people like seeing pretty teenagers doing cool stuff. And no, im not really asking for FE to become Game of Thrones or anything but given the popularity of that show, who knows. The localization for Awakening pinged my GoT radar. Hard. At least in terms of mature themes. (overt sex, etc) I just want some slightly more realistic scenarios and older main Lords. Stuff can still be lighthearted.

True, and most gamers are probably teenagers and people in their early twenties, so they would be able to relate to a main character at that age. But I still agree with you. We don't need any mature crap, just no kid lords and a bit more variety in ages.

Edited by Anacybele

I agree that I'd rather not have 15 year old Lords, although 15 years has been well enough for one to be considered an adult in some societies. Perhaps that societal consensus applies to the Elibe setting for example.

I mean, that would probably be the excuse they'd use for casting pre-teens as their protagonists.

But in stuff like GoT/ASOIAF, 15 year olds who rally lots of support end up crashing and burning and facing consequences, and while its good fucking tv/reading, its not what people like putting in lighter hearted turn based strat games. (unfortunately. Hence why Awakening's story is so..bleh. There was so much room for stuff like that, but the writers/devs deliberately steered away from that and dealing with consequences. :(: )

Considered an adult in some societies =/= mature enough to save the world. Otherwise, Daenerys would not have failed in Essos. ;):

I don't have any thoughts on the lord's personality, but the traditional sword lord bores me quite a bit.. Swords, aside from being overdone, have bad attack power and suffer in most late-games, where a lot more enemies use lances. Having a lance or axe wielding lord could be nice, but I think an archer lord would be more interesting, as long as they gave him an ability to fight at close range. More importantly, I'd like to see a lord that has a mount (perhaps even a flying mount) prior to promotion; maybe it's just me, but riding a horse seems a lot more regal than walking.

I like the suggestions about laguz/manakete lords as well, as long as their meters/dragonstones don't get in the way.

Maybe not 15, but you guys have heard of Joan of Arc and Alexander the Great, right? Teenage military leaders have happened in history, especially in the time period Fire Emblem supposedly is based on.

I agree that Awakening was too lighthearted (I prefer PoR levels of humor) but I don't think the ages of the main lords necessarily need to change. 15-18 isn't totally unrealistic, is all.