Do you think a Fire Emblem on Wii U is a bad idea?

Aplauserlol

Mario Kart 8 greatly improved Wii U sales. I think it'd do alright.

It did ok, but that's like the biggest gun Nintendo has and even that didn't help TOO MUCH.

I can't say how well it would do but I'd be happy that another Fire Emblem was out and would buy it

I too would be pretty stoked.

Not much? Sales went up by like 400% with MK8. Still not Wii level, but it helped quite a bit.

I think a better question would be if you would actually buy a Wii U if there was a main FE game announced for it.

Edited by Cero

no I don't think it's a bad idea

I feel like this has been discussed at great length before

I'm an FE fan though so it will be pretty hard to get me to complain about anything Fire Emblem, i.e. I'd appreciate it for Wii U or 3DS, crossover or whatever (I make a conscious effort not to be one of the whiny people who is never happy with what they get)

well if it worked for the Wii, then i reckon it should be fine if a game is release on to the Wii U

The thing is, it didn't work on the Wii. The sales for both console games were awful. Considering that they most have had way higher development costs if only for the cutscenes alone, they most likely didn't make a lot of money out of it, if any at all.

Now with the Wii U, we are at a situation were in order to make money, you'd probably need to get quite a significant amount of the currently probably like 6 million current Wii U owners to buy such a fancy HD game in order to make a profit.

Edited by BrightBow

The thing is, it didn't work on the Wii. The sales for both console games were awful. Considering that they most have had way higher development costs if only for the cutscenes alone, they most likely didn't make a lot of money out of it, if any at all.

Now with the Wii U, we are at a situation were in order to make money, you'd probably need to get quite a significant amount of the currently probably like 6 million current Wii U owners to buy such a fancy HD game in order to make a profit.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I stand corrected. Thank you for telling me this

I s'pose the console versions would only really appeal much to fans of the series. However, if they make a game with the same look and design of Awakening (with some improvements of course), theres a chance that it could do relatively well

I stand corrected. Thank you for telling me this

I s'pose the console versions would only really appeal much to fans of the series. However, if they make a game with the same look and design of Awakening (with some improvements of course), theres a chance that it could do relatively well

I doubt that. I can't find any current sales numbers and none for Europe whatsoever but Awakening probably at least made over 1 million sales. But when the game was internationally released in 2013, there were between 30-40 million 3DS sold compared. So even if the game was comparatively as successful as Awakening, it's sales still wouldn't be much to write home about.

Maybe they would make one if Nintendo would consider a Wii U Fire Emblem a investment that could actually sell Wii Us. But I think it's a bit too late for that possibility. I mean Nintendo has Hyrule Warriors and Smash around the corner. If they fail, then Fire Emblem of all things won't do the trick.

Edited by BrightBow

It's a double edged sword, but I think it would be beneficial for a mainline Fire Emblem game to be on the Wii U, both to appease Wii U owners and FE fans.

Sales-wise and cost-wise, it's going to be a massive burn for Nintendo, but it may be beneficial in the long run. Wii U sales aren't super hot right now and if Nintendo intends on keeping it alive, they need games to support it. Even if a Wii U FE won't sell like hotcakes, at least it'll bulk up their portfolio and make the Wii U seem more appealing.

Perhaps to cover the costs, they could release a HD remaster instead, so they don't need to develop a game from scratch.

Then again, IS appear to have improved a lot, in terms of 3D programming, with Awakening so maybe a Wii U outing won't be a money burn like FE9/10.

If the Wii U isn't selling then they need more games to sell it and with how popular Awakening has made the series overall I think it could be worth it. I mean they obviously think there's a big enough market to make Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, I don't think a pure Fire Emblem game would be that huge a disaster. The only thing I wonder is if IS would want to make a Wii U title since it seems the 3DS is powerful enough to make anything they'd want to do with the series and they already made a market base for it with Awakening.

The sales would most likely be crap, I don't know if Nintendo is willing to quite risk that like they can with Mario and Zelda and the blockbuster games. Pikmin 3 was one thing, but Fire Emblem is a bit harder to sell. But it could be worth it if it's anywhere as good of a game as FE9.

Do I want a Wii U FE? Hell to the yeah. Would be fantastic. Luckily SMT X FE is a thing, but that is going to be a combination of fan-bases so it is easier to sell than a pure FE.

Is it a good idea? Probably not, seeing as how FE's console history isn't so hot. But let's be real here, Wii U sales are going to jump like 10000000% once Smash comes out, so we'll probably get one post-Smash.

No way, I think a Wii U Fire Emblem would be fantastic. Yes, the Tellius games didn't sell well, but that was before Awakening brought in a bunch of new fans and before the series was actually properly marketed (I don't think many people knew about the Tellius games to even consider buying them, to be honest. I didn't even know they existed until I got Brawl, yet, I did know about Fire Emblem because of Melee).

Awakening was marketed to death. I don't think we saw this with any of the previous titles. If FE Wii U is marketed the same way and doesn't have the glaring flaws Awakening has (mainly a terrible story, bland main characters, and too much Avatar praise), and IS just plain plays their cards right, this game could even surpass Awakening's sales.

I kept saying before Awakening that if the series just got more marketing and that was it, things would improve. And look what happened.

It's a hefty amount of sales they'd have to make though. I think they said they would have to hit 700k sales for a Wii U FE just to break even. Awakening sold a bit over a million I think? 1.3? And Tellius was like 450k each or something, I need to check on those. And that's making the assumption that the 700k thing is a worldwide requirement, if it was Japan only that would be even more scary since Awakening moved about 500k in Japan exclusively.

Edited by Alertcircuit

I don't think it is a bad idea producing a FE Wii U next year or by 2016 or something, it is obviously a bad idea considering the present situation. Not enough people have Wii U because of not having games that appealed them months ago (not that its library was bad, but it wasn't good enough to make the masses buy a Wii U: work that SSB4 might do), but if we take it to 2015 or 2016 where games like SSB4, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Zelda Wii U (among others revealed at E3) are out, this new title might do ok. Nintendo needs to focus on selling Wii Us and making people get the console, which is a reason to try new games, among them, FE Wii U. I'd be totally interested because I've always preferred them on consoles than on portables, despite the latter being more practical and more appealing.