The Large Hadron Collider

Inactive Account

Large Hadron Collider  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will it destroy us all?

• oh my gosh we're all gonna die... nice knowing you guys...
    • No, are you kidding? IDIOTS.
    • lol wut?

• 3 weeks later...

... I saw a Large Hardon Collider on Encyclopedia Dramatica. I thought "WTF" at first, then laughed.

Edit: Encyclopedia, not Wikipedia.

Edited by Raven

Lawl. Also, just to clarify.

Their is no chance of the world being destroyed, for several reasons.

First of all, the chance of black holes actually being created are slim to none, but in the event that they are created they would have at most the mass of a couple atoms. Now, in order for a black hole to actually pull in matter and grow, it must have at least THE MASS OF OUR SUN. Anything smaller and it will dissipate and collapse, at an increased rate, the smaller it is. So, if black holes are created, they will last less than a second.

In addition, these conditions occur all the time when cosmic rays bombard the earth, however they simply are very difficult to observe.

In conclusion, Doomsayers are twits.

Anybody who still has any lingering doubts regarding the safety of the LHC should read this: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html.

Also, the whole Hadron/Hardon confusion is pretty common. Someone posted an article from the New York Times that called it the "Large Hardon Collider" on another forum I visit. :lol:

Edited by Ronan

I voted for teh middle choice. Truth is I have studied the bible for alot of time now. No asteroid is gonna destroy the earth, although it could be Ajenjo...XD You should check my msn email...

Wait, how does that help? Or did I just ask the wrong question?

Repent, sinner, and you shall be saved! Lol

Whacha mean?

The world is not gonna end, to be sincere here. Evil people is what is going to get vanished forever. But I dont wanna start a religious discussion.

Edited by Thunder Lord

I voted for teh middle choice. Truth is I have studied the bible for alot of time now. No asteroid is gonna destroy the earth, although it could be Ajenjo...XD You should check my msn email...

I see you are an extremely astute scientific observer. Would you care to elaborate on this astounding comment you made?

AAANyway, the LHC poses no real risk to the well-being of the wrold. The worst it could possibly do is cause a blackout in Switzerland because of the power it uses (unlikely) or explode doing a bit of damage to a mountain (very unlikely).

And it's worth it because we'll get a much better knowledge of the atomic system, and perhaps even find the Holy Greil od particle the physics, the elusive Higgs Boson! Dun Dah dah!

I see you are an extremely astute scientific observer. Would you care to elaborate on this astounding comment you made?

AAANyway, the LHC poses no real risk to the well-being of the wrold. The worst it could possibly do is cause a blackout in Switzerland because of the power it uses (unlikely) or explode doing a bit of damage to a mountain (very unlikely).

And it's worth it because we'll get a much better knowledge of the atomic system, and perhaps even find the Holy Greil od particle the physics, the elusive Higgs Boson! Dun Dah dah!

What part is it that you actually want me to elaborate on?