What fire emblem should I play next?

GrySun

Hello.

I have played awakening, fe6,fe7 and I am finishing fe8 hard mode, if i ever get past chapter 19 without rushing the enemy boss.

So, once I am done with that one, what fire emblem should I move to next? I plan to play all the 13 fire emblem games, and maybe even some fanmade gba hack games, but that one later.

From the gba era, I could either go back or go forward. I was curious about thracia, as it was being called extremely difficult, but I am sure there are some differences compared to the gba games that make the game harder. I could also try the very first fire emblem games on the nes.

What fire emblem game would you recommend me, based on personal experience?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Path of Radiance (the ninth game) is excellent and stars the best lord in the series (imo). ^^ Definitely can't go wrong there! And its sequel (FE10) is even better, imo. But you'd understand it better if you played PoR first, plus it's a harder game anyway.

Path of Radiance on Gamecube is pretty good. When it comes to gameplay, if you liked the GBA ones you'll fit right in. Theres only a few things different as compared to other FE's, and there are cool new mechanics to make it more interesting. Story-wise, great cast of characters. While Ike isn't too vibrant a character the supporting cast is certainly interesting enough to hold up the game, I love them. The story also deals with the idea of racism in an interesting way I'd never seen a game do yet.

If you don't wanna pay that much for the game/don't have a computer strong enough to emulate, Shadow Dragon on DS deals with the story of Marth. Characters aren't developed as much as in the Game Boy games and beyond and gameplay seems slightly lackluster if you're picky, but hey it's an upgraded NES RPG. I had fun with it mostly.

People seem to really like Genealogy and Thracia on SNES, but I personally am waiting for the patches with new translation to come out before I experience it. Not sure if that's the road you want to go down too but hey.

Guys, he's/she's played Awakening.

Edited by Alertcircuit

Path of Radiance on Gamecube is pretty good. When it comes to gameplay, if you liked the GBA ones you'll fit right in. Theres only a few things different as compared to other FE's, and there are cool new mechanics to make it more interesting. Story-wise, great cast of characters. While Ike isn't too vibrant a character the supporting cast is certainly interesting enough to hold up the game, I love them. The story also deals with the idea of racism in an interesting way I'd never seen a game do yet.

If you don't wanna pay that much for the game/don't have a computer strong enough to emulate, Shadow Dragon on DS deals with the story of Marth. Characters aren't developed as much as in the Game Boy games and beyond and gameplay seems slightly lackluster if you're picky, but hey it's an upgraded NES RPG. I had fun with it mostly.

People seem to really like Genealogy and Thracia on SNES, but I personally am waiting for the patches with new translation to come out before I experience it. Not sure if that's the road you want to go down too but hey.

Guys, he's/she's played Awakening.

speaking of any news on that/place where i can see the progress on the fe4 retranslation?

also yeah, FE9 is what i'd recommend to you next, though Shadow Dragon is pretty good too if you keep in mind its a remake of an NES game. (something alot of people here don't seem to grasp)

Why not Gaiden, exactly? I'm not that far in, and I'm still loving it. That being said, I can't BEAT anything that isn't Awakening, so grinding is welcome.

Gaiden certainly alienates some fans, kind of like what FE4 does for some.

Since it's all just a matter of subjectivity, my advice is to just try everything by yourself and form opinions after that. But yeah, since you intend to play all of the games, you should probably start from FE9. It's a good place to begin since even the difficulty of the hardest setting is really low (the consensus seems to be that it's not as easy as FE8, but I had more trouble even with that than I had with 9). And like people pointed out, you can't really go wrong with it.

I recommend 9 and then play 10 or play 11, but I have only played the FEs that have been released in the west so I have not played that many FE games maybe some day I will get a computer that I can use to emulate the games but right now I barely have the money to buy one video game let alone a new computer.

Yeah, avoid 4 until you're comfortable enough with the games to be able to make the switch in gameplay design between the rest of the series and it.

As long as you don't go into it expecting the same mechanics, you should be fine.

^This

People have their preferences, and form their opinions by them. Just because a few people can't find enjoyment in FE4, due to how different it is from the rest of the series, doesn't mean that it doesn't have good things going for it nor that it isn't a quality title.

I don't hate the differences. I hate the bloated maps, the poorly positioned enemies, the endless hour long backtracking, the ambush spawns, the bullshit "safe zone" fliers can't get past until you capture some arbitrary castle, the fact that every single chapter's goal is to capture castle(s), and the fact that you need a special tool just to map out how you'll fare in the second game, or else you're just fucked because you didn't pair anyone at all, failing to realize that was even something needed.

FE4 is just an awful game by design. The only people who like it are those with way too much time on their hands, and people who loooove pure tedium.

i don't think you really need to plan pairings in FE4 in order to enjoy it (well, it's not enjoyable no matter which way you slice it, but that's a different argument). those who are anti-FE2 should aim to be consistent and be anti-FE4 as well, because both games suffer from the problem of being too tedious to enjoy.

FE9 if you can find it. FE4 can be overwhelming if you aren't expecting what it's like, but is pretty good. Also, you don't need to play 1 in order to play 3, since 3 has a remake of 1 in it as its first half.

Speaking as someone who played through fe4 more or less blind, I found it an enjoyable experience.

... That said, for the love of God, you want animations off, and turbo button abuse through the arena sections.

Okay, that "due to how different it is from the rest of the series" can be scratched off my post, but my point stands regardless. Some will find the game tedious throughout, some will not. Some will find the game enjoyable, some will not.

It's an entirely different argument whether or not the game is good by design. Although, more often than not, the definition of "good design" seems to stem from personal preference.

I am currently playing a mostly blind FE 4 And I don't regret it. I am finding out all kinds of mechanics that got removed in later FEs that make me salty. I love enough of the game mechanics that the long Maps don't bother me toooooooooooooooooooooo much. Also Fk me, I wanted to give Adieen to someone else but Noooooo she stuck with dew. Oh well Live and learn. 2nd playthrough. I couldn't figure how to bypass Estilan until it was too late rip. I guess I can do that on muh first playthrough but all I got is a good noish and shitty everyone else. rip.

IMO Do FE 4 or 9 next.

FE4: I haven't played it, though I definitively will! It includes a marriage system like FE13 does. This game doesn't have many chapters, but the chapters are composed of many story parts, so a chapter takes very much time. The story is great and has excellent game mechanics.

FE9: Probably the easiest FE part besides FE8, if you don't have JP maniac mode. However the story is great and it includes excellent game mechanics. The sequel has probably the longest main story (43 maps). It's different to other FE games. It's divided in four parts and three different groups, two of them will join together later. In part 4 you can create three parties. The story is great, but not everybody's taste. It's harder than 9 and has better game mechanics.

FE11: It's the remake of the very first one, so it gives you nostalgic feeling. Though don't expect too much. This game includes very rare plot, almost no conversations, so these chapters are done very quickly. On lower difficulties you can beat it in very few days. If you prefer the strategical part over the story, Shadow Dragon is a decent choice. However the sequel "Heroes of light and shadow" is much improved and includes many new features (creating avatar, baracks like in "Awakening" and supports). A great game and very underrated in my opinion!

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

thinking about it, play 9. it's a well balanced fe game with good music, a great story (not exactly fe4 level of plot even though some asshole here would disagree) great characters, good everything. i prefer it way more than 10.

to all the people that are telling you not to play 4 because of the gameplay, they may be right about those things. but! it does have amazing music, a brilliant storyline and awesome characters. play it after you play 9.

Edited by Aizenberg

the endless hour long backtracking,

The Warp/Return Staff/Ring mitigates most of the backtracking.

the ambush spawns,

The only ones I can think of that don't come from the vicinity of an enemy castle (where it'd be common sense to expect them) are the Tornado guy in chapter 9 and the bow knight squad in the final chapter, who are well off the beaten track. They don't really qualify as ambush spawns if they don't ambush you!

the bullshit "safe zone" fliers can't get past until you capture some arbitrary castle,

Are there any times when you're blocked off from enemies for non-plot reasons?

If you're complaining about the linearity that's a trait most FE games have.

the fact that every single chapter's goal is to capture castle(s),

Favourite Fire Emblem Game: Sword of Seals

;)

(that is a good point tho)

and the fact that you need a special tool just to map out how you'll fare in the second game, or else you're just fucked because you didn't pair anyone at all, failing to realize that was even something needed.

If you want to optimise them, yes. But a bit of exploration and experimentation (and checking the available Talk commands) will allow one to work out the pairing system, and even if you don't, the subs are quite usable and you still get Shanan, Aless, Altenna, Celice, Oifaye etc. by default.

the bloated maps, the poorly positioned enemies,

The map design is quite different compared to the rest of the series, but I don't think it's inherently bad. The large expanses of space and enemies being clumped together allows for some different tactics (cavalry charges, hit-and-run tactical retreats etc.) It's alright to not like it but don't insult people who do.

Favourite Fire Emblem Game: Sword of Seals

That's not my favorite game. In fact I can't play past 4 chapters because it's so boring. I have no idea where you got that from.

Edit: Huh, my profile said FE6. Was supposed to say FE5. Must have been a misclick.

Edited by Klokinator