It's Amiibo time

Robinigo

I went ahead and purchased some Japan Import amiibos from Amazon, under $20 but a bit higher than the store prices of $12.99 or whatever they typically sell for.

The only thing I think is weird is that they'll apparently arrive somewhere between the end of December to the beginning of January. I did select the cheapest shipping options but that's still a bit out of the norm, is it just because they're imports?

Imports do take a while but it's not impossible for them to arrive earlier than ETA -- I've imported before and they ended up arriving between 1-2 weeks early than expected using the cheapest shipping methods (ie. free shipping on $35+ orders).

Edited by Roflolxp54

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, it sold out of preorders at the $100 mark?

Let me say I personally feel $100 for an HD remaster of an 8 year old game + a toy worth $15 at best is really pushing the limits of what I'm willing to put up with. Amiibo Festival was bad enough but I splurged on Isabelle and Digby. $80 shovelware. The average salary in the US is roughly the same as in Canada, maybe sliiiightly lower on the minimum wage end. However everything in Canada costs rougly 30% more than its US equivalent these days, it's insane. Nintendo in particular has been incredibly conservative with stock and preorder availability in Canada. FE Fates and Xenoblade Chronicles X got several preorder waves and ample supply for demand for US preorders. Canada? A day for minimal copies of XCX. Their website is a sick joke if you try to look up preorder available up in the cold North. Seriously heartless. Fire Emblem? Who the hell knows. We won't know a damn thing for the next month, at least. Robin and Lucina amiibos? What are those? I actually thing EB Games never actually gave me a refund on my preorder they unceremoniously cancelled for a nebulous spot on their wait list, only a 20% discount on a bunch of Mario amiibos I already had, only valid at the specific store I ordered at.

Sorry for this impromptu rant. I'm just angry. I guess I know how Australia must feel right now.

I agree for the most part, but I fail to see how amiibo Festival is shovelware. It's a simple party game whether people like it or not. It has a lot of modes and the quiz is extensive. The characters have like 6 different outfits each. The writing and charm are still there.

Whether it strikes your fancy or not, it really isn't "shovelware" at all. At least look at Mario Tennis Ultra Rushed for that, even though I love Sprixie Princess, I also will wait until some sort of update comes with Shy Guy, Birdo, Paratroopa, hopefully Nabbit, Tournament Mode, Ring Shot, or some combination of the six.

If anything, I expect a Birdo and Shy Guy (and Boo) amiibo to come out eventually for some of the Mario games if nothing else

I expect a Daisy, Waluigi, Dry Bowser, Sprixie Princess and Boo amiibo for use with the new Mario Tennis.

I don't expect it anymore. They didn't announce it in the recent Direct even though Mario Tennis AND Amiibo were mentioned. So, I don't see why they would ever announce another wave of Mario Amiibo. I'm disappointed... :( I wanted Daisy so bad.

I don't expect Mario Tennis amiibo at all; Ultra Smash looks terrible and reviews are ultra samshing the game. So unless Nintendo invests in a bunch of DLC for Ultra Smash there won't be tennis amiibo ~

It's mostly the content itself that are getting a really bad backlash and the lack of friend modes for online is a big shot in the foot for most fans.

For a game that is being sold for 50 bucks and even less content then the original Mario Tennis is just sad. If it was 10 bucks then I might have a more incentive to get it but even that is stretching it.

I agree for the most part, but I fail to see how amiibo Festival is shovelware. It's a simple party game whether people like it or not. It has a lot of modes and the quiz is extensive. The characters have like 6 different outfits each. The writing and charm are still there.

Whether it strikes your fancy or not, it really isn't "shovelware" at all. At least look at Mario Tennis Ultra Rushed for that, even though I love Sprixie Princess, I also will wait until some sort of update comes with Shy Guy, Birdo, Paratroopa, hopefully Nabbit, Tournament Mode, Ring Shot, or some combination of the six.

It's a simple party game. In fact, it's barely a game at all. Sure it's cute, but it literally exists solely to market amiibos. I played it for about a day or two (I'd say roughly 10 hours put into it), there's a sparkle of promise under there but it's SHALLOW. And between Amiibo Festival and Ultra Smash, it's a bad holiday black eye for Nintendo as far as reviews go, worse on the critical side but not so hot for the consumers either. Amiibo Festival's not even compatible with Villager either! It encourages pay to win mechanics by awarding Amiibo characters with happy points for every roll of the dice. Once someone gets rolling on the turnip train and gets ahead, the possibility of the losers catching up is nearly an impossibility and the game is virtually decided in week 2. The minigames aside from the Island Escape are all pretty bad, designed in such a way that you'll probably scuff up your precious amiibo cards. Also, there's an actual distinction between full-on Amiibos and the cards, despite Nintendo's claim that they would receive equal treatment. All you can do with them is play minigames and use the cards as weighted dice rolls in the board game. You cannot use the cards as full blown characters. If you want to use your amiibos between Amiibo Festival and Happy Home Designer? Good luck if you want to save! You can't do it without overwriting your progress! Well, good thing the cards are read-only in the board game anyway and other than the Island minigame, nearly meaningless as far as individual characters is concerned...

Here's a question: Would as many people have bought Amiibo Festival if Isabelle and Digby were obtainable without the game? Do you believe Amiibo Festival and Happy Home Designer are worthy spinoffs to one of Nintendo's biggest franchises?

My own answer? I only own Amiibo Festival for Isabelle and Digby. I gave the game a chance. I played long enough to complete all alternate paths all along the board. I noticed the amiibo I use has an effect on the game, and that's cool. Is the game fun? Not really. I played it with my friends and it was definitely not the reaction we'd get like if we had played Mario Kart, Smash Bros or Monster Hunter, or even Nintendo Land, which has a far superior Animal Crossing themed minigame included. There's nothing to be excited about except speculating on turnips. We would groan at every appearance of Katie, Shrunk, Redd or Katarina because they just talk SO MUCH, and SO SLOW, and SO REPETITIVELY. The quiz's gimmick with cards would have been far better had we been assigned our own controllers instead of flailing our cards around the Gamepad huddled up on the floor. The balloon drop is one note, like something you would see in Mario Party bundled up with 50+ other games, not 7. The rest of the minigames are single player despite this title being billed as a party game. Maybe my opinion will change if Nintendo continues to support the title and add more content, but it looks pretty unlikely. Happy Home Designer feels even worse, if only because it has a lot of good ideas for a main line Animal Crossing game but has zero interaction or engagement for the player outside of decorating rooms. The contests are dominated by Japanese savants with existing followings. Interaction with the villagers you help feels hollow as all they can do is spout off the same fluff message every day. They don't reward you. They don't chastise you. They absolutely don't care about what you do, leaving an empty sandbox to play in, where only the hardcore will really dwell. With the price of games in Canada right now ($50 for HHA and $80 for AF), I feel absolutely unfulfilled.

Edited by Samias

With the price of games in Canada right now ($50 for HHA and $80 for AF), I feel absolutely unfulfilled.

Man don't remind me. A lot of the PS4 and Xbox One games are going for 80 bucks now and Ultra Smash being 65 is just laughable. Xenoblade is now 70 here. Amiibos being 16 bucks means we have to pay 32 for only 2 of them and the bundle versions with 3 amiibos are going 45 bucks + tax would add up to 50. Not to mention our stocks are still nothing but Marios and Zelda and maybe once in a while ZSS. I never see any ganondorfs after the initial wave, not even a single FE character here. The only ones that are getting stocked are the regular splatoon, 3 pack Splatoon Amiibos and 3 retro pack but even then no one is buying them because of the huge markups.

Man don't remind me. A lot of the PS4 and Xbox One games are going for 80 bucks now and Ultra Smash being 65 is just laughable. Xenoblade is now 70 here. Amiibos being 16 bucks means we have to pay 32 for only 2 of them and the bundle versions with 3 amiibos are going 45 bucks + tax would add up to 50. Not to mention our stocks are still nothing but Marios and Zelda and maybe once in a while ZSS. I never see any ganondorfs after the initial wave, not even a single FE character here. The only ones that are getting stocked are the regular splatoon, 3 pack Splatoon Amiibos and 3 retro pack but even then no one is buying them because of the huge markups.

I just picked up Little Mac today from Best Buy. Standard retail price + tax.... $17. For a SINGLE Amiibo. Well, it could be worse as Little Mac before the reprint was incredibly difficult to find, but it is getting to be very expensive. I like the Etrian Odyssey series but it was something like $60 for a 3DS game, and that's just too rich for my blood for a remake. Twilight Princess bundle for $100 was right up at the "NOPE NOPE NOPE" point for me as well. Fire Emblem Fates is $100 US including shipping and that's technically 3 games in one, but $80 for anyone in the US. Who knows what the official Canadian price of the special edition will be, let alone how much stock we'll get. Xenoblade Chronicles X special edition was something like $120? I didn't even get my hands on one as preorders opened for a single day. Bear in mind that same bundle is $80 in the US with plentiful stock for anyone who cared enough to preorder, with waves going over several days. Getting my hands on Robin and Lucina seems like a pipe dream without importing from Japan, as my local store had cancelled my preorder after only receiving 1 of each figure come in.

Holy hell, is that how expensive things are in Canada?! :o Crack cocaine is cheaper than Amiibo at this point

The Canadian dollar is extremely poor right now so everything is at least 25-30% more expensive than it was about a year or two ago. That puts the price in line with the exchange rate, however my salary hasn't changed to earn 25% more so my purchasing power is eroding away and I find it very hard to make impulse purchases. I can't stomach paying $70+tax on Disgaea 5 or $60 for EO2 or $100 for Twilight Princess.

The Canadian dollar is extremely poor right now so everything is at least 25-30% more expensive than it was about a year or two ago. That puts the price in line with the exchange rate, however my salary hasn't changed to earn 25% more so my purchasing power is eroding away and I find it very hard to make impulse purchases. I can't stomach paying $70+tax on Disgaea 5 or $60 for EO2 or $100 for Twilight Princess.

...ouch. :/

It's mostly the content itself that are getting a really bad backlash and the lack of friend modes for online is a big shot in the foot for most fans.

For a game that is being sold for 50 bucks and even less content then the original Mario Tennis is just sad. If it was 10 bucks then I might have a more incentive to get it but even that is stretching it.

Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds like even Mario's Tennis for Virtual Boy was more fun, and that was just tennis with Mario characters plus a bunch of headaches caused by the Virtual Boy

Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds like even Mario's Tennis for Virtual Boy was more fun, and that was just tennis with Mario characters plus a bunch of headaches caused by the Virtual Boy

Most people refer the original Mario Tennis to the N64 version since that one was that started the main charm of the series.

Ganondorf is a pretty common amiibo, as is ZSS and Olimar, so I'm not surprised that Falco is also fairly common among these last few waves of amiibos coming out. I think Nintendo's manufacturing has finally started to outpace demand, though they do still need to go back and do some runs for early waves. Even common wave 1 and 2 Amiibo like Fox and Samus are kinda becoming hard to find (all the Mario characters have essentially been replaced by their more general Mario series figures so we probably will not see Fireball Mario or planking Luigi anymore). While I doubt they'll revisit the commons until a new relevant game comes, it'd be nice to see more Meta Knights, Pits, Charizard, etc come out, as well as a steady stream of Fire Emblem amiibos to use with Codename STEAM and especially Fire Emblem Fates.

Huh. Well, I'm sure many of those will go eventually as more and more people get into Amiibo over time. I mean, where I work, our wave 1 Amiibo have slowly depleted over a few months. And of course, there are those customizers.

Man, I couldn't get anyone to take me to Walmart today for that modern color 8-bit Mario... :( And I'm not ordering online because the post office keeps saying my stuff is undeliverable. I did actually end up getting that yarn Yoshi I ordered from Walmart, but a MONTH after I put it in and I already got refunded for it.

On another note, Kohl's DOES have Amiibo now. I was there today, in Pittsburgh, btw, and they have a few Super Mario series Amiibo as well as a couple Splatoon 3-packs.

Gamestop has Ike, Lucario, Greninja, Shulk, Little Mac, Fox and Captain Falcon, available on their website

Lucario and Greninja are no longer toysRus exclusives?

$9 Marth Amiibo on BestBuy.com right now

Ganon and Falco too. Free shipping.

Wha? Marth I get since I heard Best Buy got a crapton of him, but Ganondorf and Falco too? o.O

Marth for $9.00?

To think a few months ago, I stayed up all night refreshing the Amazon page...

Yeah, I've been out of the loop for awhile. I stopped checking amiibo news since I got the ones I wanted.