Splatoon (Major Update on August 5th/6th, Ver. 2.0.0 Patch Notes Available)

Jave

Next Splatfest is Transformers-Themed  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Autobots Vs. Decepticons?

• Autobots
    • Decepticons

I think this game was long overdue a thread.

XpxJsCE.jpg

Splatoon was revealed by Nintendo at E3 2014, and it's their latest major new IP, to be released on the Wii U in the first half of 2015. The game is being developed by Tokyo EAD No. 2, the same group who did the Wii Sports/Play/Music series of games, Nintendo Land, and the Animal Crossing series.

oiskKuk.png

The game is an online 8-player shooter, where the objective is to shoot ink in order to claim your territory. You play as little Squid Kids called Inklings, who have the ability to morph between human form and squid form. As humans, they can use their guns and shoot ink to cover their turf, and as squids, they can swim in their own ink at a very fast speed.

WOAjF4l.jpg

The game, despite not being out yet, has already gathered a pretty big following, already filling DeviantArt, Tumblr, and Pixiv with fan art. There are also support groups who want the Inkling as DLC characters in Smash Bros., and even Masahiro Anbe, the creator of the manga Squid Girl, has proclaimed himself a fan of the game.

I have to say, in a genre that's probably filled with clones, it's nice to a game that actually looks like it's trying something new. Specially coming from Nintendo themselves, a company who is definitely not known for making shooters. It was probably the game that surprised me the most this past E3, and also one of the games I'm hyped for the most next year.

So, anyone else around here is planning to get this game?

Edited by Jave

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked what I saw of it during this last E3, game looks really fun

I just don't feel like it'd really be worth the price of a full retail game (a nice group of people to play it with could be the thing to change that)

Did they ever say if it's gonna be that or an eShop game, I kinda don't remember that

Inkling for smash \o/

How do you know this game is fun?

I find it hilarious how some have debated (not here, of course) whether or not this game officially qualifies as a "shooter." It's just a Nintendo shooter.

Looks like it might be interesting, but I won't buy it until I hear about it after release, and even then I might wait for it to drop in price.

But there's already a great non-m shooter made by Nintendo.

This game looks pretty good, I really dislike most multiplayer shooters not named Team Fortress 2 but this has a unique enough concept that I'd be willing to climb on board. I'd still wait after it comes out to see how people think about it first.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread for new info: For a while, Splatoon had gotten the "Pic of the Day" treatment through a Japanese Twitter. Now, Nintendo has released a Tumblr which shows all the screenshots with English descriptions:

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

And before you wonder if this is legit: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/544609709538308097

Oh, and the Inklings have fangs:

LtoVRYd.jpg

"Hey, guys! If you’re cephalopod crazy like me, you probably already know this, but in case not, here’s a cool little factoid. Squids actually have really sharp beaks, almost like birds. They’ve got some pretty crazy-looking teeth too. Don’t believe me? Try searching the Internet for “squid teeth.” Freaky, right? Now take a look at this new image we just received. Looks like the mystery squid creatures have some pretty crazy chompers too!"

Nintendo definitely seems to be trying to make this their next big thing.

• 2 months later...

Updating this thread one more time to bring up some news.

Nintendo has officially started to promote Splatoon in stores with an "Add Color to Your World" ad campaign. Here's an image from Gamestop

NW9KK0Y.jpg

I've got to handle it to Nintendo for massively promoting this game. It's definitely more than they've done for anything non-Mario/Smash.

Also, amiibo support has essentially been confirmed, as the eShop entry for Splatoon does have the amiibo tag. There's also the rumor of Splatoon getting its own line of amiibo, based on a leak from a South African store.

• 2 weeks later...

New update! Lots of Gameplay videos!

GameXplain
GameSpot
Eurogamer
GamesRadar:
GameTrailers
Pocket-lint

Story Mode: Chapter 5 (60fps)
Story Mode: Chapter 3 (60fps)
Splat Zones: Warehouse map (60fps)

I really hope someone replies this time.

I swear this game is looking better and better with every video. The previews and impressions have been incredibly positive, and having a new multiplayer mode confirmed is great. I really hope the low install base on Wii U doesn't affect the game too much. It definitely has potential on being Nintendo's next best thing.

Despite my general hesitation to buy first person shooters (I'm absolutely terrible with dual analog aiming controls) Splatoon looks to be one of the coolest, most inventive games anyone has made in the FPS genre for a long time, so I am eagerly anticipating the game's reception. It is just so unique and creative both in its actual gameplay and in its visual design that I can't help but compare it to the best of Nintendo's off-the-wall new IP's from the past. I have a terrible feeling it will sell badly (in my experience, the FPS crowd is not generally a fan of Japan, cartoons, or... color, so all three combined is not a recipe for success), but regardless even of exactly how well the game turns out, I hope the game does well just to give a kick in the rear to the swarms of iterative FPS developers.

My one qualm with this game so far is the recently announced online mode that is going to be patched into the game some time after release and will be locked so it can only be accessed by players above a certain skill level. I generally dislike games being shipped without all their content, and preventing players from using a game they paid for rubs me the wrong way. I get that the mode is comparatively advanced, but if they're worried about newbies ruining the fun of pros, why not just use some really rigorous matchmaking. It's basically what they're already doing, but instead of matching up bad players they're locking them out. Why not match the terrible people up with other terrible people instead and let them have their fun still without disrupting the advanced players?

I have a terrible feeling it will sell badly (in my experience, the FPS crowd is not generally a fan of Japan, cartoons, or... color, so all three combined is not a recipe for success),

Really? I thought COD Black Ops 2 sold rather well in Japan

Really? I thought COD Black Ops 2 sold rather well in Japan

I don't doubt that Japanese players enjoy FPS's, more that all the FPS fans I personally know dislike things that immitate Japanese pop culture as much as Splatoon. This game looks VERY Japanese, which is really cool, but will turn off literally every one of my FPS-playing friends. They prefer a little more Western, realistic, gritty shooters.

Hopefully I'm worried over nothing, though, and lots of people buy it. I would love if it was a success.

Edited by Ragnell

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't quite a necropost yet!

If anyone wants this game and doesn't have a Wii U, Nintendo just announced a Splatoon bundle. Given the price, you basically get the game for free if you buy the bundle.

Link: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/21/splatoon-wii-u-bundle-announced-coming-to-best-buy

Wow, Nintendo is REALLY pushing this game. I wasn't expecting a console bundle announced at this point, but there it is!

I really hope this game does well, it certainly has potential of being Nintendo's next best thing.

Despite my general hesitation to buy first person shooters......Splatoon looks to be one of the coolest, most inventive games anyone has made in the FPS genre for a long time......in my experience, the FPS crowd is not generally a fan of Japan, cartoons, or color, so all three combined is not a recipe for success......I hope the game does well just to give a kick in the rear to the swarms of iterative FPS developers.

Splatoon is not a first-person shooter at all. At most, it's a behind-the-back shooter, and that's not counting the unique paint mechanics. Heck, even Metroid Prime is more of an FPS.

My one qualm with this game so far is the recently announced online mode that is going to be patched into the game some time after release and will be locked so it can only be accessed by players above a certain skill level. I generally dislike games being shipped without all their content, and preventing players from using a game they paid for rubs me the wrong way. I get that the mode is comparatively advanced, but if they're worried about newbies ruining the fun of pros, why not just use some really rigorous matchmaking. It's basically what they're already doing, but instead of matching up bad players they're locking them out. Why not match the terrible people up with other terrible people instead and let them have their fun still without disrupting the advanced players?

I believe the rationale behind this choice is that most players will be moderately skilled after playing the single player modes. With the ability to swim in your own paint, that super-jump thing, etc., this game will probably play very differently from most shooters. 10-year-old players will enter multiplayer, say "I'm gonna own you all!", and then get completely wrecked because they thought their Call of Duty skills would carry over. Then they quit. Nintendo is trying to prevent this saltiness. In any case, I'm sure there won't be restrictions on local multiplayer.

I'm keeping my eye on this game currently. Looks fun, but I have priorities that come before it.

I'm glad Nintendo is marketing a new I.P so much though.

So I found this:

DI5y6yFl.jpg

This is an image about the 1v1 mode. What's interesting is that despite the 1v1 mode being called Battle Dojo, the game refers to it as "Balloon Battle". This is really interesting as it implies more 1v1 modes.

Hype levels intensified!

Splatoon is not a first-person shooter at all. At most, it's a behind-the-back shooter, and that's not counting the unique paint mechanics. Heck, even Metroid Prime is more of an FPS.

I believe the rationale behind this choice is that most players will be moderately skilled after playing the single player modes. With the ability to swim in your own paint, that super-jump thing, etc., this game will probably play very differently from most shooters. 10-year-old players will enter multiplayer, say "I'm gonna own you all!", and then get completely wrecked because they thought their Call of Duty skills would carry over. Then they quit. Nintendo is trying to prevent this saltiness. In any case, I'm sure there won't be restrictions on local multiplayer.

That's good!

Were trying to make this a fun environment after all! :D

-----

I cannot believe many are shunning this game. I have to play the demo (If available). There will be many things to make it so fun for online play including the single player mode. Nintendo is pushing forward this product as it is something new for them. First Person Shooter. Like Xenoblade Chronicles is their nationl geographic kind of game. Metroid is their sci-fi games. The whole deal. I'm already filling with excitement after seeing this

Nintendo Treehouse live video about it! It looks very fun and interesting to make it kind of like a Honey I shrunk the kids that they dive in Ink, use small inanimate object as platforms. Good god, this is something totally different on a whole new level that I'd like to try out! Spatoon amiibos are still standing in some stores. I guess not many are into Splatoon. But...the gameplay elements looks smooth and would love to experience that for myself.

I cannot believe many are shunning this game......... I guess not many are into Splatoon....

But... this topic has no negative comments on the game yet. Who are you talking about?

But... this topic has no negative comments on the game yet. Who are you talking about?

Well...not much folks are replying is what's telling me this. -.-