Splatoon (Major Update on August 5th/6th, Ver. 2.0.0 Patch Notes Available)

Jave

Next Splatfest is Transformers-Themed  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Autobots Vs. Decepticons?

• Autobots
    • Decepticons

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...not much folks are replying is what's telling me this. -.-

There's this thing called... "The game isn't out yet." It's the same reason I didn't make a topic for Rodea the Sky Soldier even though I'm looking forward to it more than this. I'm gonna pre-order it so I get the limited edition Wii version for free.

There's this thing called... "The game isn't out yet." It's the same reason I didn't make a topic for Rodea the Sky Soldier even though I'm looking forward to it more than this. I'm gonna pre-order it so I get the limited edition Wii version for free.

I've just found out that it doesn't get released until May 29th.

Calling all Artists! (Well, those in the US/Canada anyway) Nintendo is hosting a Splatoon fan art contest!

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/117540513689/splatoon-art-contest-report-so-turns-out-our

Splatoon ART CONTEST report! So…turns out our senior squid artist quit like two months ago and didn’t tell anyone. And now we need a bunch of sketches ASAP for our quarterly report, but when I checked his old desk drawers, all I found was a snorkel and a bunch of those little red sticks that come with the cheese-and-cracker packs that you use to spread the cheese. Remember those things? Anyway, I was in a full-blown panic until I thought of you guys! I bet some of you can draw some cool Splatoon art. Squid Research Lab needs your help!

Here’s what I’m thinking: Post your awesomest, most squidtastic Splatoon-themed artwork on Tumblr and tag it with #Splatoon, #GetInked and #NintendoContestEntry so we can find it. We’ll even give out some cool prizes for the ones we like best! The report is due on May 29, so you’ve got until then to show us what you’ve got. Y’all are the best! Oh, and the contest starts…RIGHT NOW!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Must be a legal resident of US (incl. DC) or Canada (excl. Quebec) 18+. Deadline: 5/29/15. 1 Grand Prize winner will receive one (1) Wii U system and one (1) Splatoon video game (ARV $359.98). 5 First Prize winners each receive one (1) Splatoon video game (ARV $59.99 each). Additional terms and conditions apply. Click here for official rules: http://Ninten.do/6133fA3T Sponsor: Nintendo of America Inc.

So I found this:

DI5y6yFl.jpg

This is an image about the 1v1 mode. What's interesting is that despite the 1v1 mode being called Battle Dojo, the game refers to it as "Balloon Battle". This is really interesting as it implies more 1v1 modes.

Hype levels intensified!

Pretty neato, I didn't think this would even get a 1v1 mode in the first place.

If you missed out the direct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsZPYB0vMw

There is a test demo that is already released and available to download right now. Unfortunately, the time to play is very limited as it's more of a server stress test.

Friday May 8th, at 8pm to 9pm

Saturday May 9th 4am to 5am and 12pm to 1pm

My main major gripe right now is that it is required to play with the TV Gamepad. Pro controller option is out of the question unless you play with Battle Dojo. While I'm glad I will finally be able to use the gamepad again, the forced use is kind of off putting for me.

Edited by kingddd

My main major gripe right now is that it is required to play with the TV Gamepad. Pro controller option is out of the question unless you play with Battle Dojo. While I'm glad I will finally be able to use the gamepad again, the forced use is kind of off putting for me.

You know how some people complained that there aren't many games that put the Gamepad to good use? Well, here we are. I find it strange that you would complain about being forced to use the controller that the console came with. Some of the things you can do with the Gamepad are not possible with other controllers.

tbh the direct kinda killed a lot of my hype.

I really don't like that so much content is being gradually released as opposed to at the beginning. I get that it's all through free updates but it leaves me feeling like by buying the game at launch, I'm not getting the entire game.

If I don't get it on the 29th, I'll probably get it in August after the major update. Looks like fun. I'll need to look at the demo and review scores to see what I think.

You know how some people complained that there aren't many games that put the Gamepad to good use? Well, here we are. I find it strange that you would complain about being forced to use the controller that the console came with. Some of the things you can do with the Gamepad are not possible with other controllers.

The main thing I see is the jump to teammate and the motion controls which really doesn't need to have the gamepad to use those features. They could have just implemented press the + button to bring up the map hud and select the teammate to jump to like in Battlefield. The minimap is the only thing I like but even then many other shooters have a small hud like feature to display those maps.

I can use the gamepad not a problem but longevity, it starts hurting my hands more easily than a regular pro controller. I rather play comfortably physically over small/minor gameplay conveniences. I hear rumors that you can just use the Pro Controller and have the Gamepad on at the sametime for online like how it's done in wonderful 101 but I'm keeping myself from that before I hear what people say during release.

Edited by kingddd

Ugh...-.-

I don't want to have to play it with the gamepad. Don't want to wear it out as it is needed to operate the Wii-U and cannot be replaced. But...aside from that, hope the Hori pad works. Willing to give the demo a shot shortly. Something new of Nintendo has been made and want to try it out!

My first time playthrough of Splatoon demo. General impressions:

Just finished an hour of playing the demo.

Overall, it's a lot of fun. Jumping around and flying to your teammate is one of the most funnest part of the game considering you can also shoot when you're about to land and you can change the camera angles at the same time to shoot before you land. The game is very beginner friendly if you haven't played any shooting games.

Of the weapons, Rollers are definitely the most powerful main weapon in the entire game. I've gotten huge killing streaks with this specific time and it's really good at covering terrain not to mention you're very mobile when you're using the weapon. You can instantly kill any opponent when you roll over any enemy opponents and the splatter can be devastating. Sub machine guns are definitely ok choices and I've been using these the most frequent since I love the shield upgrades. Charged shots/Sniper is very difficult to master but it covers a lot of terrain with its ink if you can aim well with it but it's definitely not very newb friendly.

This image sums it up pretty well on the weapons so far: http://i.imgur.com/HsLaHZl.jpg

As for the meta there is a lot of potential if it had voice chatting. For example, one player could be a roller and ink near the enemy base while the other 3 players distract them from noticing him in the middle of the map.

Luckily you really don't need to go on a killing streak to win the game. There was aguy that had 7 kills and 1 deaths and he still lost the game. It really emphasizes the player to have a balance of killing and terrain control. You get points for putting ink on the ground and you get points for killing an opponent but terrain control is the biggest key to victory in Turf War.

As for the controls, the motion control isn't all that bad. You don't need to move it around a lot. You can just angle it up and down and use the right stick to look left or right which helps significantly for shooting ink on the walls or just in different general locations. I still would have rather play on the pro controller as by 45 or so mins of playing my hands did start getting sore from the motion controls and the slightly heavy gamepad. Luckily you can turn off the motion control if you feel like it deters your overall experience.

Did it sell on me? It's a maybe at this point. If some of those online features had been there at release then it would have sold me a bit faster.

Anyways, I'm uploading a video which should be up tomorrow morning which shows my entire 1 hour blind playthrough of the game. Will upload timestamps if you don't want to sit there watching me waiting for random players. I suprisingly won many matches despite being a PC shooter kind of guy with mouse + keyboard.

edit: Video is up.

Video description has timestamps.

Edited by kingddd

Can you play with friends for the demo? We should try to make SF rooms for the time slots~

Nah, afraid not.

My first time playthrough of Splatoon demo. General impressions:
Just finished an hour of playing the demo.
Overall, it's a lot of fun. Jumping around and flying to your teammate is one of the most funnest part of the game considering you can also shoot when you're about to land and you can change the camera angles at the same time to shoot before you land. The game is very beginner friendly if you haven't played any shooting games.
Of the weapons, Rollers are definitely the most powerful main weapon in the entire game. I've gotten huge killing streaks with this specific time and it's really good at covering terrain not to mention you're very mobile when you're using the weapon. You can instantly kill any opponent when you roll over any enemy opponents and the splatter can be devastating. Sub machine guns are definitely ok choices and I've been using these the most frequent since I love the shield upgrades. Charged shots/Sniper is very difficult to master but it covers a lot of terrain with its ink if you can aim well with it but it's definitely not very newb friendly.
This image sums it up pretty well on the weapons so far: http://i.imgur.com/HsLaHZl.jpg
As for the meta there is a lot of potential if it had voice chatting. For example, one player could be a roller and ink near the enemy base while the other 3 players distract them from noticing him in the middle of the map.
Luckily you really don't need to go on a killing streak to win the game. There was aguy that had 7 kills and 1 deaths and he still lost the game. It really emphasizes the player to have a balance of killing and terrain control. You get points for putting ink on the ground and you get points for killing an opponent but terrain control is the biggest key to victory in Turf War.
As for the controls, the motion control isn't all that bad. You don't need to move it around a lot. You can just angle it up and down and use the right stick to look left or right which helps significantly for shooting ink on the walls or just in different general locations. I still would have rather play on the pro controller as by 45 or so mins of playing my hands did start getting sore from the motion controls and the slightly heavy gamepad. Luckily you can turn off the motion control if you feel like it deters your overall experience.
Did it sell on me? It's a maybe at this point. If some of those online features had been there at release then it would have sold me a bit faster.
Anyways, I'm uploading a video which should be up tomorrow morning which shows my entire 1 hour blind playthrough of the game. Will upload timestamps if you don't want to sit there watching me waiting for random players. I suprisingly won many matches despite being a PC shooter kind of guy with mouse + keyboard.
edit: Video is up.
Video description has timestamps.

Roller only feels OP because people don't seem to know how to beat it (hint run away up walls, and throw a grenade where you're running if possible.) So it's definitely the easiest to streak with.

Game is pretty fun, takes away from how much I'm dreading the new Star Wars Battlefront

Nah, afraid not.

Roller only feels OP because people don't seem to know how to beat it (hint run away up walls, and throw a grenade where you're running if possible.) So it's definitely the easiest to streak with.

Game is pretty fun, takes away from how much I'm dreading the new Star Wars Battlefront

Yeah it's basically the noobtube of this game. Effective but long term players will much prefer the more precision type of gameplay especially on modes like King of the Hill where rollers aren't gonna do too much. But you do need at least one on the team for territorial control.

Splat Roller is the new Little Mac. It SEEMS OP, but deep down it's likely very easy to gimp.

I used the Splattershot Jr. in most of my matches and was able to take out several Roller users from afar.

No luck.

Since the server is undergoing maintenance right now. It isn't operable with a Hori pad. Watching the video to get an idea on how this game goes.

Edited by Pan_Chan

No luck.

Since the server is undergoing maintenance right now. It isn't operable with a Hori pad.

the last game session already ended 50 mins ago.

That was sooooooooooooooooo much fun. Really can't wait for the 29th now.

I haven't enjoyed a video game this much in a long time.

I used the Splattershot Jr. in most of my matches and was able to take out several Roller users from afar.

Which would be fine if there was a Team Deathmatch mode, but there isn't.

Seen the video and it certainly looks to be alot of fun in multiplayer. The Splat Roller instantly kills any opponent it hits and the sub machine guns take at least several shots to do the same. By the way, what are your favorite paint colors of this game? Mine is

5HzwKX.jpg

this (Aqua Colored)

It doesn't look like you can choose whichever paint color that you'd like. I've so far have never seen black, brown, white, silver, or gold colors yet.

Edited by Pan_Chan