Why Marth + Ike?

Pokegee

Could someone please explain to me why Marth is commonly shipped with Ike on the internet? I get that they were in SSBB together, but Marth was with Roy in melee, and now there's Robin and Lucina as well. Marth and Ike have little in common and neither one is gay, but people still ship them. Just to be clear, I'm not stating any opinion on the shipping of these two characters other than confusion.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know what exactly you're searching on the internet to be getting these kind of results, as I have never seen this ship mentioned in any post or picture.

The short answer is that this is the internet, and that every ship, fetish, interest, etc. has at least a few vocal fans here.

Also Ike is gayer than you'd like to believe.

I don't get this. Everyone who supports the idea of Ike being bi if not full-on gay uses his affectionate interactions with Soren as evidence, but let's face it: Ike pities Soren. The poor guy has no other real friends, largely due to his own caustic personality, and his whole life except for Ike has been misery and/or bitterness at the world. Ike is an incredibly kind person, and comforting Soren is completely in character for him. Soren getting all mushy and saying that Ike was the first person to ever treat him in kind, then break down crying, is a natural reaction to this true fact, not a declaration of romantic feelings. They love each other as brothers, guys who would lay down their lives for each other.

As for Marth, chalk it up to fantasies and Brawl players' ignorance of Caeda's existence.

The ones that are ignorant of Caeda are the nice ones. There are people that hate her for existing (though her personality in the OVA didn't help much).

As for Ike, I'm fairly convinced that he's either gay or asexual. The only person he seems to care about on a deep emotional level (aside from Mist, but that's because she's his sister) is Soren, and his only paired endings in Radiant Dawn are with other men. But of course, correlation does not equal causation, so he could just not have any romantic interest whatsoever.

For Ike:

I don't get this. Everyone who supports the idea of Ike being bi if not full-on gay uses his affectionate interactions with Soren as evidence, but let's face it: Ike pities Soren. The poor guy has no other real friends, largely due to his own caustic personality, and his whole life except for Ike has been misery and/or bitterness at the world. Ike is an incredibly kind person, and comforting Soren is completely in character for him. Soren getting all mushy and saying that Ike was the first person to ever treat him in kind, then break down crying, is a natural reaction to this true fact, not a declaration of romantic feelings. They love each other as brothers, guys who would lay down their lives for each other.

This, so much this, there is pretty much nothing else to say.

Supposedly it's "gay" for one male to care for another male, so according to that ignorant 'logic', this makes all caring fathers, brothers, and sons gay too.

As far as Marth goes... Bishounen + internet ignorance

Edited by Soledai

Smash Bros., obviously. Those two have no interaction whatsoever outside of Smash and 98.999% of people who play Smash have no idea that Marth is married... canonically... to a woman. Even fewer know Marth has a big sister.

For Ike:

This, so much this, there is pretty much nothing else to say.

Supposedly it's "gay" for one male to care for another male, so according to that ignorant 'logic', this makes all caring fathers, brothers, and sons gay too.

As far as Marth goes... Bishounen + internet ignorance

Alright, I get the resentment of this generalized "caring guy = gay" assumption, but it's not that Ike is for sure gay, as we admittedly have no evidence (IIRC, at least) of Ike clearly saying he's attracted to anybody in particular. It's that, again, based on this entire body of observations, it's clearly within the ream of possibility.

It's not certain that Ike and Soren are in romantic love, it's that, given all their interactions and the franchise's history of depicting romance and the typical sort of uke-seme dynamic that they might be argued to follow (perhaps moreso in the Japanese script, to be sure), it would be dishonest to say they can't be.

I am sorry but I can't help but think that all the people using the "Ike and Soren are just friends!!" card would not say a word if either one was a girl.

Two guys can care for one another without being gay, but guess what? Two guys can care for one another while being gay, too. Ike and Soren can be a gay couple without every other affectionate interaction between two guys being gay. Please have an argument better than "blah blah blah heteronormativity" next time.

As for why people ship Marth and Ike: they are two good looking characters in a video game. It's all that it takes, it's not even about gender.

I am sorry but I can't help but think that all the people using the "Ike and Soren are just friends!!" card would not say a word if either one was a girl.

I'd say Ike and Elincia are just friends, so...

You are not thumping your "Ike is not gay!!" bible around the internet, though (I assume). I was talking about those people specifically, sorry.

Edited by Axie

You are not thumping your "Ike is not gay!!" bible around the internet, though (I assume). I was talking about those people specifically, sorry.

MAYBE I AM (OK, fair enough).

Silly bro, if one was a girl the result is obvious

"How dare this silly girl stole my hasubando Aiku/Soaren" AKA the Sumia Syndrome

Which to be fair would have been my reaction to Marth x Sheeda if Marth wasn't such a likeable character to go out with someone as badass as Sheeda

P.S. This post did not have any intention to make the reader imagine how Ike would look if he was a girl, which would be kinda hot because MUSCLES.

Edited by JSND

Alright, I get the resentment of this generalized "caring guy = gay" assumption, but it's not that Ike is for sure gay, as we admittedly have no evidence (IIRC, at least) of Ike clearly saying he's attracted to anybody in particular. It's that, again, based on this entire body of observations, it's clearly within the ream of possibility.

It's not certain that Ike and Soren are in romantic love, it's that, given all their interactions and the franchise's history of depicting romance and the typical sort of uke-seme dynamic that they might be argued to follow (perhaps moreso in the Japanese script, to be sure), it would be dishonest to say they can't be.

I suppose you could say the generalization is what bothers me, however, this as far as I read, discusses it being a possibility.

Well then, this doesn't apply to me.

Seen two girls be affectionate with each other and not be lovers and I've seen a male and female be the same, so yeah, this doesn't apply to me.

Two guys can care for one another without being gay, but guess what? Two guys can care for one another while being gay, too. Ike and Soren can be a gay couple without every other affectionate interaction between two guys being gay. Please have an argument better than "blah blah blah heteronormativity" next time.

And not a single person said otherwise, so I don't know where you got that implication from.

Did my post somehow imply that otherwise.

Edited by Soledai

Silly bro, if one was a girl the result is obvious

"How dare this silly girl stole my hasubando Aiku/Soaren" AKA the Sumia Syndrome

The Sumia syndrome at least acknowledges the couple is real though! It's an improvement! :P

And not a single person said otherwise, so I don't know where you got that implication from.

Did my post somehow imply that otherwise.

Well, it did, and if it wasn't your intention I apologize, but the "if caring about each other is gay then brothers and fathers are gay" argument is very annoying to me because it's simplistic and irrelevant. Of course you can have your own interpretation of things but if people believe Ike and Soren are a couple it's not just because they care for each other.

Well, it did, and if it wasn't your intention I apologize, but the "if caring about each other is gay then brothers and fathers are gay" argument is very annoying to me because it's simplistic and irrelevant. Of course you can have your own interpretation of things but if people believe Ike and Soren are a couple it's not just because they care for each other.

I see. It's alright, and the underlined bothers me for the same reason as the one I stated before, it's quite easy to label something without a second thought so I aimed to make an equally simplistic comparison to demonstrate that. I guess it's that line of thinking moreso than the issue at hand. But yes, until it is proven otherwise, I'll just perceive it my own way.

Could someone please explain to me why Marth is commonly shipped with Ike on the internet? I get that they were in SSBB together, but Marth was with Roy in melee, and now there's Robin and Lucina as well. Marth and Ike have little in common and neither one is gay, but people still ship them. Just to be clear, I'm not stating any opinion on the shipping of these two characters other than confusion.

Because its the internet and with the existance of many people's imagination gathered in one place...well lets just say there's a place for that. I don't really see Ike really having any romantic relations with any character in the games to me they just didn't seem to hint at that much unlike some things *cough* (Sumia and Chrom in Awakening).

A valid interpretation, but you do have to realise that said evidence is equally valid the other way as well. You can't really use the same evidence that can be used to support romantic interest as to dismiss it, you can only give a different perspective. Other people have already linked amielleon's excellently written article about all this. Note that I said "Also Ike is gayer than you'd like to believe." not that "Ike is definitely gay". I was pointing out there's a reasonable case to be made it, not that it's absoloute fact.

I suppose you could say the generalization is what bothers me, however, this as far as I read, discusses it being a possibility.
I see. It's alright, and the underlined bothers me for the same reason as the one I stated before, it's quite easy to label something without a second thought so I aimed to make an equally simplistic comparison to demonstrate that. I guess it's that line of thinking moreso than the issue at hand. But yes, until it is proven otherwise, I'll just perceive it my own way.

Oh come on, IkexSoren isn't a typically fujobait interpretation or anything. Yaoi fangirls shipping stupid pairings may irritate me too but there's a stark difference between "they looked at each other funny once!" and a relationship that so explictly determines a deep bond that follows typical seme-uke dynamics. People who claim Ike/Soren are a couple have a pretty good reason for doing it, it's not some bizzare insane impossibility. I'm willing to admit there's a possibility I'm wrong, but if you deny the possibility that you are wrong then you're being ridiculous.

Edited by Irysa

Oh come on, IkexSoren isn't a typically fujobait interpretation or anything. Yaoi fangirls shipping stupid pairings may irritate me too but there's a stark difference between "they looked at each other funny once!" and a relationship that so explictly determines a deep bond that follows typical seme-uke dynamics. People who claim Ike/Soren are a couple have a pretty good reason for doing it, it's not some bizzare insane impossibility. I'm willing to admit there's a possibility I'm wrong, but if you deny the possibility that you are wrong then you're being ridiculous.

Okay... My statement--

But yes, until it is proven otherwise, I'll just perceive it my own way.

Yeah, this one, left the door open for me to right or wrong, hence why I worded it the way I did.

The whole "gayer than you think" made me chuckle quite a bit. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I'm just imagining gayness as a quantity because of it. "I previously believed Ike to possess 9 units of homosexuality but after that article I now believe him to possess 18 whole units of homosexuality."

I'm not sure what's so funny. Mind letting me in on the joke? As well written and tl;dr that link is, it doesn't ultimately refute his claim. Edited by Ownagepuffs

Okay... My statement--

Yeah, this one, left the door open for me to right or wrong, hence why I worded it the way I did.

The way that reads given the context of your previous posts isn't really leaving a door open at all. I realise this is now getting into semantics, so I preemptively apologise but you can't quote somebody who explictly denies a possibility, then make simplistic statements to justify it, THEN say "I'll percieve it my own way until proven otherwise" and give room for doubt. The perception you've given is "there's no validity to this claim", and the so called "proof" for why it's a possibility is right there, and you've been denying it!

Edited by Irysa