Fate/Endeavour

Nanami Touko

An All Too Familiar Feeling...

This church is always too damn quiet...

Koichi sat in one of the church's pews, tapping his finger impatiently against his arm. He'd been sent by the Assembly to wait for an 'informant' on the issue of this, seemingly random, Grail war. It's only been twenty five years, this isn't right... Why is there another one happening now!? What caused it? It makes no sense! I can't... I can't think of anything that would've started this, I just... Kouichi sighed, to try and quiet his internal frustrations. Whatever the case was, hopefully he'd be told why, and his duties.

He at least knew that he'd be supervising the war. His father had done the same for the last war, though it had cost the man his life, and labeled the war, in Kouichi's mind, as a plague upon humanity, that no one should ever be forced into. He'd sworn never to get near the subject, but without family to turn to, leaving the church would've set him out on the streets, and there was none better suited to supervising the war than himself. It had been his family's duty for several generations now, and he had to uphold it.

Quietly, to pass the time, he began inspecting his weapon, taking parts off, looking them over, wiping them off with a small cloth, and putting them back on. Anything to keep his mind focused elsewhere...

Eventually, the time that the impatient priest had been waiting for had arrived. An abrupt knock on the large wooden doors that lead into the Fuyuki church signalled the arrival of the Church's informant.

The knock echoed loudly through the quiet of the church, shaking Kouichi somewhat, and eliciting another sigh. He quickly slide his gun back together and slid it gently into its holster, slowly making his way towards the doors. I'm not feeling anything off, so I suppose it really is the informant... I'd have been gone minutes ago if I'd felt anything, anyway. He swallowed, and slowly creaked the door open. "Hello."

"Yes, hello, You must be Father Kabuto. I am Eric, Eric Colton. I believe you have been expecting me, no?" The man spoke, a rather tall, well built specimen, with a dark tan. He had a somewhat sullen look to his face, with deeper wrinkles than one might expect of him... he only looked to be in his late-twenties to early-thirties, after all. He wore a simple dress shirt and pants, in a rather dull brown, his shoes shined to the level that some may even find it aggravating.

As prim and proper as ever. Kouichi withheld yet another sigh, and nodded, opening the door fully, for the man. "I have. Please, come inside. I have... A few questions, to ask, when you're finished with your debriefing," he said calmly, standing aside and waiting for this Eric to come in. Of course, his most burning question probably wouldn't be answered, but there were some smaller ones that could do with some posing.

Stepping inside, Eric looked around for a brief moment, This place never changed, did it?

"Well, to begin with, what do you know already?"

Straight to the point. "I know that I'll be supervising this war. That I shall provide shelter and aid to any master that is removed from the war, if they so ask for it. That I shall keep the church's best wishes in mind..." He eyed Eric up while he was talking, trying to see any physical changes or reactions. There probably wouldn't be anything, but best to keep aware. "Those are the basics. Though... Well, pardon me for asking, but perhaps you can tell me why the war's happening so early?" He probed the question, wondering what sort of reaction it would garner.

"That should be all you need to perform your duty. As for why, it's something we're curious of, ourselves. I don't have an answer for you. Anything else?" Eric replied curtly, no real change in his expression.

Kouichi's expression flared in annoyance for a moment, before settling back down to what it rested as. "Then, do we know any of the Masters for this war, yet? I expect we don't, but just in case..." He wondered for a moment if any of Fuyuki's famous mage clans had aspirations for this war... But since the war was so sudden, he expected any heirs wouldn't be prepared for it. Either way, it had to be asked. No matter... I suppose this talk will be brief, if this is all I can glean from him.

"No masters have come forward, as of yet. I imagine that it won't be too long, before the chosen participants make themselves known to you." Eric replied, taking note of the priest's change in expression.

"Will that be all you had to ask, then?"

Ridiculous. "No. I can't think of anything else."

"Very well. You seem to have your information in place for the most part... as to be expected of his heir. If you'll excuse me, I must be off. Get in contact with the main office, if you find yourself in need." Eric concluded, before standing and walking back over towards the door.

His heir, huh... "Wait," Kouichi said, taking a moment to think over his words. "What... What do I do if I run into a situation like my father did? I... I know my job, but, well... I am not as suited to that sort of fighting, as much as my father was." He grimaced slightly, wondering if he could actually kill a magi, if it came down to it. He could bring himself to fight one, that much he knew. But winning? "I shall accept whatever answer you give."

"If you find yourself in that situation, and assess that victory would be impossible, then do all you can to keep the situation in check, and call for backup. Alternatively, you have spare command seals, that you have the authority to distribute... offer one as a reward. Most masters will want to get rid of each other, regardless... a little more incentive never hurt anything." Eric responded, his expression actually shifting to a grin, for a moment.

What? Why's he smiling? Kouichi didn't like that, not one bit. The stoic man hadn't expressed emotion at anything, other than this. He almost narrowed his eyes, but he didn't want to return the 'favor'. "Alright. That will be all, then. Thank you." Kouichi glanced at his hand and looked over the visible seals, the rest running under his clothes. He'd have to decide when, or even if, to dole these extra out to Masters who he felt deserved them. That would be an annoying decision for another time.

"Then I suppose I will be seeing you. Best of luck, Father Kabuto." Eric shot back, his grin fading as he made for the exit of the Fuyuki church.

Kouichi didn't say anything to stop him, simply sitting back down in the pews and going back to his thinking, his hands mindlessly going back to working on his gun. I suppose there's nothing to do but wait for the Masters to show themselves, now... I wonder who we'll see this time, I truly do. As well as Servants... Ah, well, no use thinking over it for now, though that won't stop the worrying. Hmm. What can I offer command seals for? I wonder... Well, I'll cement that when I choose a side. Here's hoping this year's Lancer and Saber are extraordinary. I've always had a certain... Preference, for those servants. He let himself smile, now that he was no longer under the eyes of another priest, and let the hours fade into maintenance.

//Masters, summon your Servants!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let silver and steel be the essence...

Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation...

Let red be the colour I pay tribute to...

Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall...

Let the four Cardinal gates close...

Let the three-forked road from the crown reaching unto the Kingdom rotate...

Let it be filled...

Again...

Again...

Again...

Again...

Again...

Let it be filled fivefold for every turn, simply breaking asunder with every filling...

Those were the words from the book that Sora had read.

The book had also mentioned the need of a summoning circle and for the incantation to be personalised according to the caster's own wish.

Sora looked at the summoning circle that lay spread out before him. It was a shabby one, at best, drawn haphazardly with Sora's own blood. It was not easy drawing the summoning circle and it took Sora quite a while to draw it. Sora looked at his hand. He had bounded his hand within a tight orb of water to seal the wound and stop its bleeding but the pain could still be vaguely felt.

Sora took a deep breath to ready himself.

Let silver and steel be the essence...

Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation...

Let red be the colour I pay tribute to...

Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall...

Let the four Cardinal gates close...

Let the three-forked road from the crown leading unto the Kingdom rotate...

Let it be filled...

Again...

Again...

Again...

Again...

Again...

Let it be filled fivefold for every turn, simply breaking asunder with every filling...

Sora felt the power of the incantation within the air as he recited it. With the basic incantation uttered, the spell seemed to be waiting for something more.

Sora wavered for a moment, unsure how to proceed on. Then, he made up his mind. He knew what he wanted and hoped to obtain.

And I who have been abandoned by this world...

A past of mystery, a life of rejection...

I call forth a Servant, to fulfill my only desire...

I call forth the Grail, to reveal my true path...

I seek only to know the reason for my existence...

My name is Sora Ichiyami!!!

With the incantation complete, Sora waited eagerly to see if anything would happen.

Edited by MancerNecro

OOC: Two parter. Summoning takes place outside of Fuyuki City, in a mountainous are near Tokyo, a couple of days before the start of the war.

In the mountainous area of forest called Oku-Chichibu, Nathalie was making preparations for the upcoming Grail War. With a only a few days left for the beginning of her quest fro the Grail, she was busy getting the summoning circle ready. She couldn't control the weird sensation of excitement that was overwhelming her: she was about to summon a powerful, heroic spirit, one that would possibly aid her in her quest. She did have commands seals for the instances where she would have a rift with her servant, but she was hoping not to summon someone difficult to gain obedience from. She felt like she was rolling the dice, and she didn't want to deal with anything that was based on luck when she had to participate in a war for the omnipotent wish granting device. This would have to be a ritual she'd have to perform reluctantly, but she hoped that she would not need to face any more instances where the outcome would be random for the duration of the war.

With the circle now finished, she slowly placed the dagger that she was holding on the centre of the circle, then taking a few steps back slowly. This was an artifact that her ancestors had saved from many generations earlier, and one that whose quality had been lost to history. Very few daggers of the modern world would probably match its quality or beauty. At least that's what Nathalie thought.

Her heart started beating faster as she trying to gather composure to carry out the summoning chant. The summoning circle had begun to glow just as she began the chant:

"Silver and iron to the origin. Gem and the archduke of contracts to the cornerstone.

Master of the mind, yet servant to the mentally weak.

The dagger becomes a whip; the pillar, a waterfall. The land is barren, and the leaves wither away.
Shut (fill). Shut (fill). Shut (fill). Shut (fill). Shut (fill).
Repeat every five times.
Simply, shatter once filled.
――――I announce.
Your self is under me, my fate is in your hands.
In accordance with the approach of the Holy Grail, if you abide by this feeling, this reason, then answer.
Here is my oath. I shall be the embodiment of all that is true, and I shall strike down arrogance and self-righteousness, for morality is for fools!
You, who is of great fame, yet died without luxuries, arise from the beautiful dagger, O great one!

Soon, the summoning circle glowed brightly, and Nathalie covered her eyes with her arm as there was a flash of blinding light. She wondered if the whole thing went just about right.

Edited by Bluedoom

"Let sliver and stone be the essence. Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation. Let red be the color I pay tribute to. Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall. Let the four cardinal gates close. Let the three forked road from the crown reaching unto the kindgom rotate. Fill, fill, fill, fill, fill. Repeat five times, but destroy each when finished," Levi spoke while taking a few steps back from the completed pentagram circle on the ground before raising the hand that bared the command seals towards the circle before chanting,

"Heed my words. You who lead the forces of good against evil, I hearby swear that I shall be the driving force for good in this world so all will know of the change I bring! If you heed the grails call and obey my will, then answer my summoning!" Levi chanted as the summoning circle lit up in response to his words. Sitting outside the circle closeby was his artifact of choice, a brick from a fortress used as a stronghold in ancient times. His aim was to summon a heroic spirit. There was no need for anything too over the top, all he needed to do was provide enough mana for the heroic spirit to anchor itself. He had been training for this day, and now that it was finally here Levi could barely contain his enthusiasm. Every time this day came around, a member from his family was chosen to participate each time so it came as no surprise to him that he had been chosen.

A bright flash of light made Levi shield his eyes with his left arm from the sheer brightness. Hopefully that flash meant he had successfully summoned a heroic spirit.

In an abandoned apartment in the Ireland, a young adult woman was sitting. She appeared to be flipping through a dusty, thick book, and a few feet away from the foot a silver circle liner with symbols. Very few catalysts had been prepared for the ritual.

One would imagine the lady was a mixed bag of caution and forgetfulness by the lack of risk taking in her ill prepared process, but that was judgment to make only when speaking to her. The clock ticked, and there was was a faint double clacking to signify 12'0. She looked immediately from her book. “I have only one minute.”

One minute was all she had.

She autonomously, like some sort of cybernetic machine, grabbed the bag of a three very rusted arrowheads. Just a bag of scrap metal to all, but these were a lifeline for her. She bent down and swiftly placed them down on patches of wooden floor that had the markings etched in. The woman then drew out a knife blade, and a deep breath. She was surprised to how she managed to do it so quickly. The brunette cut a small slit in her finger, and spoke as it dripped.

Focus in , Focus out, Focus in,

Focus in, out, in, out.

Intent, intent, intent...

Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...

Heed the present memory of this call,”

The chant was slowly turning into a shout, a command...

May it crumble the very covers of this world

And to shingle the matter of this universe

I must see Might and potential

in future, the present, the past

In the land where my blood shall flow someday...

May the old gods watch and new gods prevail,

May my ancestors dream of life from Eden,

While I reach the very core of Paradise itself”

Light from the circle started to emit, brightening to a silver light.

Let my very soul be all the good in the world,

holy enough to drown the sins of this very world,

And I vow to be worthy in taking ownership of this task!”

Her long skirt fluttered, scraping her ankles. The summoning was complete, and for a moment all she could see was silver light. She coughed from the dust, but the lady could not see the slightest thing.

Edited by Deadmeat Elyn

The call. The beckoning of the vessel known as the holy grail, an inexorable pull to action. The heroic spirit that Sora called to his side was forcefully removed from the Throne of Heroes, the space outside of the linear flow of time that holds the natural phenomena called "heroes" in it's enthrall. It was from this dimensional pocket that she, the heroic spirit in question, heeded Sora's call. Her soul was compartmentalized and placed into a class container in order so that the grail may more easily manifest such a high level mystery known as a Servant. As her presence was quite literally crammed into a class and given form by the grail, knowledge was imparted upon her. Countless streams of information poured into her mind, familiarizing her with the bare bones knowledge to function in the modern world. The purpose and mechanics of the ritual known as the holy grail war were also made clear, as well as the command to seek out and eliminate all other servants. It had appeared that she had been called for quite a troublesome little event, but one that she did not mind partaking of.

It was refreshing to be granted a form in the active world after all, especially after almost two and a half thousand years. But first there was the formality of recognizing the person she was to now deem as her master. Her summoner who would have to place his utmost faith in her as his lifeline in this mad ritual. She beheld the current world now, summoned and incarnated fully and perfectly. Instinctively she recognized that her powers were being limited by both the fact that the grail could not manifest an existence as high as that of an earth mother aspect fully and that her master could not sustain her fully. It was no surprise, considering her nature which was a mystery a step above the mundane human. She breathed in and a slight frown graced her elegant complexion: the air was impure and dirty, far removed from the purity which she had experienced in her own time. Nevertheless humanity had compensated by furthering its independence. No more did they seek gods to aid them, and in turn they had devoted themselves to science, a process which had been killing the mystery of magic for many years now. The fact that man was able to achieve such thresholds with his own power could in of itself be viewed as beauty on par with the mystical elegance of life and nature.

As the smoke and light from the ritual cleared she gazed towards her master while taking note of her environment with her peripheral vision. A rudimentary summoning circle drawn with blood, a rather unnecessary and likely painful experience. The fact that her master could maintain her existence relatively well indicated that he was not lacking in potential, but the minutiae of the ritual itself determined that her master was likely inexperienced. None of this mattered to her of course, as she could compensate fairly well with both her own power and enhancing her master's power. Now then, to discern her master's nature.

She focused her gaze on her master now, staring straight at his face with a steady and confident stare that exuded a neutral tone. One that neither produced cold guardedness nor one that was filled with inviting warmth. Her oriental dress fluttered as the winds from the summoning died down, and with a voice crystal clear that poured forth mellifluously like a stream, she asked,

"I ask, are you the master that has summoned me?"

Automatic words required to seal the contract between master and servant. It was entirely possible for her to snatch away her masters life at this very moment to become a lone existence not bound to anyone, but such a cruel decision was contrary to her nature both morally and pragmatically. Pragmatially, the decision would end her existence as she would have no method of sustaining herself in the world without prana, but she did have a way to overcome such an impediment. However, morally, she did not once consider the thought of murdering her master at this moment to consolidate an unrestrained presence in this war. Though often known as willful, independent and even cruel by a few, she was no hatred driven figure filled with past predispositions of ill intent.

Edited by Sublimation

Sora stared in awe as the summoning took place in front of him. It was almost too hard for him to believe. Just two months ago, he had first discovered the weird symbol that had materialized on his right hand. Not knowing what the symbol was, Sora had researched extensively, relying on both the library and the internet.

He had eventually found out the true meaning and purpose of the symbol that was now etched onto his right hand: It was a command seal - the representation of the right to be a Master in an ancient war for the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail was a vessel of energy that allowed its owner to have their innermost wish granted.

Sora was stunned at the girl clad in a blue traditional costume that was now standing in front of him. Sora had half expected the ritual to fail. He could not believe that he could have received the key to finally find the one true place where he could fit in among society and friends. It was the answer and the end of his longlasting solitary life. Now that his Servant was finally in front of him, Sora found himself unable to speak; unable to think; unable to react. A feeling of exhilaration rose within Sora's mind. He felt the whole world finally accepting him; He felt as if his one shot at finding his place in the world had finally come.

"I ask, are you the Master that has summoned me?" came the question from the Servant.

Sora had read that this was the final bow and oath that had to be made in order to complete the ritual and finalize the Master-Servant bond.

"Yes, I am. Please work together with me for the Holy Grail in this war. Please help me out, my partner." was Sora's reply. "My name is Ichiyami Sora, what's yours?"

What an interesting woman, Basilia noted to herself, as she left the study of a certain Roza Alkaev. As she had been expecting, the grail itself didn't choose her, yet again. It was a tad disheartening, but this time, she was ready for such a predicament. Luckily, negotiations went well enough, the woman noted to herself with a smile as she strolled down the hallway. The Alkaev family head had offered cooperation, shelter within their impressive defensive field if needed, and what support she could provide, in exchange for inclusion in the wish she would make, if her plans came to fruition, and she found herself the victor of this early Holy Grail War.

Perhaps most importantly, was a veil against the crafty woman's own husband... a man of the church, he and the pair's eldest daughter would be assisting with surveillance of the war. If she could keep the man off of her trail, so the better. Even if he was no longer within his prime, the Executors of the church were never something to trifle with. Letting out a light sigh, Basilia's ears caught a slight movement, past the corner of the hallway. Taking a whiff of the air out of curiosity, the woman grinned, Most distinctively a young human, a female... inhaling once more to further define the scent, it was rather basic, lacking any gaudy soaps or cosmetics to mask the slightly earthen scent she gave off. More importantly, for identification, the scent of smoke and flame was notably absent. That narrowed it down to but one of the family members... the youngest daughter. Were it one of the help, she could simply render them silent and exit without consequence, but at the very least it wasn't one of the two... troublesome members. A shame though, that it seemed to be the daughter. The scent of her blood was pure, untainted... a chaste young maiden who had known no men... Basilia shuddered lightly at the thought of piercing the girl's pale throat, feeling the warm blood, soft as silk, run down her own waiting gullet... ah, virgins always did impart a meal of the highest quality... but alas, relations would swiftly sour with the Alkaevs if she was found chomping at the bit in such a way... she could round herself up a plenty tasty meal post-departure.

Still, the girl was on the approach, and seemed to show no sign of slowing. Was she herself aware of Basilia's own presence? The bounded field about this place was impressive, but the guest knew not the extent to which those aside from the head could manipulate it. Well, whether she was aware or not did not truly matter... if there appeared to be complications, then she need only consult Roza once again. For now, only time would tell what this encounter would bring. Still, if the girl was anything like the rest of her, rather notably strange family, then it would be far from boring.

The woman she was trying to get close to hadn't moved in far too long, Firmia noted. That probably meant she was onto her. She weighed her options as she came up to and pressed herself against the wall, just barely out of sight. This might be my only chance, she told herself. She waited a few more seconds, inching closer to the corner as she did, and then quickly peaked around the corner. As she pulled her head back into cover, she knew without a doubt the woman had already noticed her. Firmia took a deep breath, let it go, and then step out into the open.

"Mm ..." she hesitated to say anything at first; her mother's room was right there. Firmia didn't want the other woman to get the wrong idea, but if her mother overheard them, she would definitely try to stop her. Her first instinct was to create a space where their conversation would be completely private, but doing so would alert her mother anyway, so she thought better of it. "I need to talk to you," Firmia motioned with her lips, feeling that even a whisper might reach Roza's ears if she was still tracking their guest. Given what she was here for, that was most definitely the case.

------------ ------------ ------------

Stan was leaning back in his seat as his daughter drove them to the Fuyuki City Church. She had been complaining about him going to the church just to take a 'pointless and dangerous job' up until a minute ago, but had become uncharacteristically quiet. When he glanced over at her, she seemed to be driving rather stiffly. "What's wrong?" he asked, shifting his gaze between her and the road every couple of seconds.

Yulia was shocked. Had he really not noticed that blunder of hers back there? She was waiting for a chance to make a U turn but hadn't found one just yet. She had been waiting for him to point out her mistake, but apparently he hadn't even noticed. "I ... missed the turn. Sorry," she bit out as her grip on the wheel tightened even further.

"Oh," Stan shrugged. "Well, it's a new car ... sort of ... and the seating is different, so it makes sense you'd need time to get used to it. We're not in a rush, but you might want to unmute the GPS. It looks pretty upset with you, right now."

"I'm just not used to driving on the left side of the road," she muttered. Granted, the car wasn't helping matters with the seating arrangement, like her father had said, but the road was a far bigger distraction for her. She still felt a strong urge to change over to the right side every time there were no other cars around. She mumbled something in russian that Stan couldn't quite make out. "Just give me a minute and I'll get us back on track."

"I'll leave this in your capable hands," Stan smiled weakly. Judging by where they were now, the turn they missed was probably half a mile back. Stan began to wonder if he should give Koichi a call and let him know he was stopping by or stick to the original plan of surprising him. Then again, the man had enough surprises coming as the war's mediator. Stan went through his daughter's purse until he found her phone. "Call Koichi," Stan said, and the phone dialed the number and called it. "I'm sure he'll be happy for the help," he leaned over and smirked at Yulia while she scowled at the road ahead.

Kouichi had settled himself down into his new office of work, taking a sip of some freshly made coffee, when his phone rang, the coffee he had been calmly drinking now choking him, as the ringing was unexpected and completely surprising. He choked the liquid down, coughed a few times, and managed to snatch and answer the phone before it stopped. He didn't check the number. "Hello?" he coughed out, taking another moment to cough a bit, and settle himself. "Hello... Who is this?" he then asked, getting straight to the point. He hadn't been expecting calls, nor did he know anyone that would have his number... Working for the church meant there was no small amount of surprises, but these sort, he wished he could do without.

A light smile rose to Basilia's lips as the youngest of the Alkaevs finally stepped out from her attempt at stealth. The girl seemed to hesitate for a moment, before mouthing out a request to talk. Didn't want to be overheard by Mother, did she? An interesting predicament, to be certain. Basilia couldn't help but wonder what the young magus wanted of her, and looking the girl up and down as she walked towards her, Basilia stopped just in front of Firmia, giving the youngest Alkaev a light grin and an a nod of agreement.

A New Challenger Approaches

It all happened so suddenly, without warning, without mercy. The first signs of the oncoming disaster were the ground shaking violently, threatening to swallow all of the occupants of the dome like structure into the very earth itself, and the debris and various other matter trickling down from the ceiling at a steady rate. The woman at the control panel quickly ran out of the building to verify with her own eyes what was happening. Eyes widening in horror as the reality of the situation sank in, she ran back inside into the dome. Breathing loudly for air, she shouted to the few remaining people, "We're out of time! Leg it!!" Of course, they were only too glad to run off and make for the nearest shelter. However, before she could take her own advice, the dome started to collapse, blocking any remaining avenues of escape. Looking to the screen which foretold disaster once more, she signed resignedly. I've worked so hard to prevent this, but in the end...the future refused to-

Cara woke with a start as someone tapped her shoulder. She tilted her head to get a better look at the intruder of privacy, who was apparently some woman in her thirties. "Excuse me, ma'am, the flight will be landing soon. You'll need to take those off now," the now identifiable as an intruding flight attendant patiently stated as she pointed towards the headphones that Cara was wearing. She grumbled internally as the attendant left (after all, her hands were comfortably placed on the back of her head, and who was that woman to ruin such a convenient position), but ultimately did as she was told. Cara then opened the nearby window and looked below for the first time at her final destination. After all that rubbish, I've finally arrived at Fuyuki City, she thought to herself as her heart began racing at the prospect of the upcoming war, and of course, the possibility of her own death. Calm down, you've been preparing for this your whole life. Well, maybe not that long, but long enough. You've even got a nice place to stay, with everything that you need to survive this war. It's all going to be aces from here on out, she comforted herself as the plane continued to descend.

To be continued when I have more time...

Edited by Refa

"Servant Caster has accepted the contract" replied Caster with an emotionless voice as if the response was but an automated formality. With these words the link between master and servant was now formed, and Caster and her master could communicate telepathically and sense each others presences among other things. She viewed her master more intently now, her gaze sharp and calculating. From the link established and her innate abilities as a caster, Caster could determine that her master had potential within him. Yet potential was not enough in such a war as this. Although the holy grail war was one rather unimportant in the grand scheme of things, experienced magi would still come, not counting the founders of this mad ritual who would likely cheat or subvert the system through any means to ensure victory. Of course, Caster did not know this. She merely understood that her master would not stand up to a magus with true training, nor could he fully supply her with adequate prana due to the same lack of knowledge in magecraft. His ability to set up workshops and perform basic scrying would also be limited, but such trivial matters would be covered by Caster herself. What was absolutely imperative know was to set up her territory creation which was at such a grand scale so as to warrant a place as a noble phantasm in of itself. With the territory, Caster reached the upper echelons of power, without it, she was a mediocre and niche servant at best.

"Your name is Ichiyami Sora? A pleasant name, I shall call you Sora then. My true name would be _____, but you may simply call me Caster. Of course I will help you attain the grail, or else I would not have accepted your contract. I myself am devoid of a wish, but if I can forward the happiness of one with a pure spirit such as yours, I would be happy too. In any case, I myself am grateful for your summoning as it allows me to take in this new world to a limited extent. Also, stop using the word please so many times. It is true you are dependent on me, but so too am I to you, my master." said Caster with a pleasant and warm smile upon her countenance. As Sora had not utilized a catalyst, it was likely that the grail had chosen Caster due to a compatibility with their personalities, which was possibly the only perk of summoning without catalysts. The main drawback was that one could not know how powerful the summoned servant would be, but in the case of Sora, this issue was largely mitigated as long as territory creation was managed.

Every second eaten up was an extra second without any sort of firm security in this situation, which Caster realized quite well. They had to establish her territory as soon as possible to cement a solid position in the war. It did not matter that the territory would give away Caster's true name, as it in of itself was enough to cover for such trivialities.

"Master, I am sure that you know the extents of my abilities both due to my true name and the servant master connection. It should be apparent that my territory must be established for me to safeguard your life in this war. I am sorry if I am rushing you, but every second here is a second wasted you see, and the territory creation is a grand ritual beyond the scope of a dozen greater rituals, taking me twenty or so hours to fully materialize. Do you have any idea where the nearest forest is? Preferably one extremely expansive and in an area removed from urban clutter" Her tone was urgent, as being caught now would equate to her master's death in almost all cases. Especially if they so happened to encounter one of the three knight classes. Caster could possibly repel an attacker or even kill one for one instance, but such was a risky and prana draining process which she could not sustain without her unique territory.

Edited by Sublimation

Death wasn't so bad. Over the many long years, centuries, since his time the servant known as Rider had resided within the Throne of Heroes. He had been content. A warrior in his time whose feats had been unmatched in many regards, whom had done things most would consider impossible, whom had seen his world transformed by his hand alone, was content with death. He had his wishes, he had his regrets, but he had his many successes to outweigh them a thousand-fold over. He was happy and content.

Then the call of the grail came. A call he knew he could not refuse as its power flowed around him, turning him above from death, to life, to death, to life, at least to his feelings and senses, before, at last, he could feel the surge of its power flow through him! He was a Servant! He was to be a Spirit! He had a chance to return to the world, a chance to follow, to lead, to become a hero once more! A call he could not refuse! And so he let the call take him, form him, shape him into the world so that he could walk upon it once more.

The world formed around him as, with a mighty burst of magic upon the seal, he appeared. A tall man with flowing black hair, bent down upon one knee before the girl who had summoned him. A shimmering sword before him, its hilt beautiful with a guard of flowing silver, as he looked up at the woman before him.

"I ask of you, are you the lord and master who has summoned me? Mayhap I should rephrase that. I ask of you, are you the lady and master who has summoned me?"

And before him the woman spoke. "Yes. I am your master."

"Then, my Lady, you shall have Rider at your beck and call!"

So this one's Rider. How... very knightly of him! Probably deluded himself to knighthood, but no matter. If our goals are aligned, that is enough for me. Hopefully I don't need to expend my command seals to make him do trivial things... I'd rather that not happen. Nathalie thought to herself.

"Well then, Rider, we must make haste! Fuyuki City awaits us! I think we'll have a lovely time getting to know each other, during this war." she said, grinning as she did so.

Fuyuki City wasn't as big or grand as Tokyo, at least from what she had gathered from some information, but perhaps this was the reason it was the place for the Grail War. Why would anyone want to have the place for destruction at the capital of their country?

It was a boring train journey, or would've been, if not for the fact that Nathalie kept herself busy reading up more on some notes she wrote down about the Grail War from the books that she had read, trying to make some mental of notes of what she was to expect. She had no idea if Rider had a boring time traveling in the train, but she did not care either. The journey was close to an end, however, since it was about to reach Fuyuki City in about ten minutes.

Perhaps I should head off to Fuyuki Church as soon as I get off. I don't appreciate the Church's practices but they're the neutral party to this War, supposedly. I don't trust them for a minute, but it wouldn't do any harm to get on their good side... she thought to herself.

Deciding to have a little chit chat with her Servant, both of them being quiet for a while, she asked,"So, Rider, what do you think of humanity as you see it, currently? Much better than that which you saw throughout your life? Is it exciting? Or does it bore you?"

Edited by Bluedoom

"I must be honest, Madame, it is... similar. Near-identical to what I once knew, yet with a fresh coat of paint. Everything has been improved, but mankind as a whole has remained the same. We travel in caravans, though they are now called 'trains'. We see merchants selling questionable wares, and merchants selling fine wares. We trust each other and distrust alike. I must admit, though, there have been some changes that seem to be for the better, though I would prefer to with-hold judgement until I have seen the world for myself. What is the food like here? What of the weather? What of that which has changed? I knew of trains when I came, for the knowledge had been forced upon me, but now I experience it I must admit... I do not like them. They smell as bad as a horse yet" he looked down the traincar. "I suspect the people on them are even worse. I am certain at least one man has looked upon both of us lustfully three times. I do not feel comfortable with that."

He gave a quick shake of his head as he placed his hand on her shoulder, protectively. "I do hope to see much of your new world though. A cramped cart full of people is not a very good first impression after all."

Nathalie chuckled at Rider's reply. He seemed pretty timid for a warrior of great fame and legend. Lust and romance were probably not his strong suit while he was alive. The child-like curiosity of this 'new-world' displayed by him amused her. She wondered what Rider's reaction would be to the various things of the modern world that he would see- the mere concept of electricity did not exist during his time, and most machines would probably fascinate him. What if he were to witness the action of a gun?

"Much of the modern world runs on a form of energy that we call 'electricity.' You may notice small objects that begin to glow bright and emit light- but these are not the only things that use it. There are much larger structures of metallic origin that utilize this energy. Granted, not everything is made of just metal, but you'll be amazed to see how much the world has truly advanced since your time. Swords are seldom used as weapons anymore; there are new weapons that function in a way that you'll never have imagined during your life. You'll get the opportunity to witness these things when we reach our destination!" she replied.

Edited by Bluedoom

Answering the call of a lone woman, from the Throne of Heroes was brought forth a Heroic Spirit. He would not have been able to resist such a summon, but given the choice, he still would have allowed himself to be called forth. In his own time, he was quite the free spirit, and it was a great joy of his to interact with the world. To breath the air, walk along the ground...to do so again was something he could not resist, even if it meant war. Battle, tragic as it could be, had bothered him much anyway. The Spirit's soul was placed into a vessel; In his time he'd used a bow, so in this time, his soul would inhabit the class of Archer. He was granted the knowledge he would need to function in the modern age, without being sent into a state of shock from all the differences which would be around him.

The first thing he saw around him was something he would have been familiar with: Smoke. Normally during a summoning the smoke would clear out, but in this room it didn't have quite as many places to go. The room itself was nothing to special either, even for a man out of time such as himself. As the smoke cleared, a low metallic clank sounded as Archer adjusted his position. Metal armor covered the entirety of his legs, and while it wasn't so heavy as to encumber his movement much, the myriad of components the armor needed in order to be worn comfortable faintly clinged against each other. There was metal gear upon him elsewhere; A metal cap rested atop his head with a red feather and a white feather nestled in it, and he could feel the weight of the chainmail largely covered by a tunic.

Despite not having to much urgency in his looking about the room, Archer's gaze carried an innate sharpness to it, and withing moment he'd spotted a young woman in a long skirt. There was but one step he had left to do, so he changed his posture to stand as straight as an arrow and trained his eyes on the woman. "I ask, are you the master that has summoned me?"

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

"Indeed. That we have made such large strides forwards is not only to be expected, but to be admired! I look forwards to seeing such things. Learning more about the world is so very important, especially when it comes to seeing new cultures. I have seen much in my life and I regret none of it. Well, maybe one or two things, but nothing of great importance!" he said with a bold grin and a happy smile. "Besides, the women, they love to see a man who learns things, goes out to see the world, but that is such a vain cause to do so." he said as he gave her a small pat on the shoulder again.

"What I am most interested in, though, is not something of technology, but of culture! I do not care to see baubles without meaning glow. This land, it cannot be like my homeland and, even if it was, as you said much time has passed. What I once knew has grown and changed, for the better I hope. At some point I wish to see what has happened to my homeland, but that time is not today, for today we embrace the world!" he cried out, causing a noticeable, nervous shift away from the pair by the other passengers.

"And it seems that your culture has chosen to embrace silence for one."

(OOC: Sorry, got busy)

At first, there was nothing.

The nothing became something. Sound. Light. Things that assaulted her sense of everything. Slowly, the light faded, leaving nothing but a young man with oddly-colored hair in front of her. She'd been summoned to fight in the Holy Grail War, and he was the one responsible for it. Yes, that had to be it. "Are you my master?" she asked, bluntly. A wisp of her own hair invaded her vision. I do not know which one of us has the most outrageous hair, but this is a truly unacceptable color.

If he failed to contain her, he'd pay dearly, for her new hair color.

"A forest?" Sora repeated.

Sora was familiar with the history of the Servant that he had summoned for himself. He had read her story from a book that he had found in the orphanage he used to live in. The artist's depiction of the heroic spirit was completely different from the female idol that was now standing in front of him.

Sora took some time to think about the landscape about Fuyuki. There was a large forest towards the southwestern area of Fuyuki. However, the forest was not easily accessible and the landscape there was pretty harsh. Sora had no doubt in his Servant's ability to procure sustenance for him and to reduce the harshness of the landscape but if they were to set up a territory to use as a base, Sora and Caster would need an area that was more easily accessible and easily defended.

"There is a large forest to the southwest but it is not easy to access and traverse. It is a flat land as well and would be really hard for us to defend..." Sora detailed.

"Unless... There is a temple towards the west that can be easily defended. The terrain makes it such that there's only one clear path up to the temple. There's a water source there too and that benefits me as well." Sora said as the plan was formed slowly in his mind.

"However, I must make a detour before we go anywhere. There is something that I need to do before we can start our preparations for the war." Sora continued.

Sora knew that his Servant was most definitely more experienced at combat and war than he was and he was inclined to follow his Servant's suggestions as much as it was possible for him to do so.

Nathalie winced as Rider exclaimed in excitement as to what he wished to see in the modern world. Clearly etiquette wasn't taught to him throughout his life... or perhaps there was lack of it during his time.

"Hush, keep your voice down! I wouldn't have minded this if you were in spirit form, but right now you're tangible- people can see you! No one...bursts out in excitement while in a train!" she whispered, frowning at her servant.

The dust had settled down, and the woman stopped coughing and could see whom was in front of her. The lady's eyes brightened at the question her servant asked. It worked. Her mouth slowly formed into an agape, excited grin. "Uh.." She was unsure about how to go about answering this question. Perhaps because it was so straightforward, it was unfitting for the prologue of a battle that could go in so many directions. "Y-yes, I'm your master... I think?" The woman stuttered, but quickly corrected herself, flailing her right hand. "Hold on, hold on! You're not some other master's servant, right? I mean, if you are- but if you aren't-"

Thoughts were racing through her head, quicker than she could speak them. Her last few words caused her to simultaneously look to her left hand, which had the command seals. The red symbol etched in her hand proved it all. She knew it was impossible for this servant to belong to somebody else, as she had even go through extra lengths to know which servant she'd summon. However, the woman still had a feeling of disbelief, that someone like her could even have pulled it off. She was a frantic wreck about if she'd do it wrong or not. Although it'd mean she'd have to figure out a way to transport her servant to Fuyuki without suspicion, at least she'd managed to do the summoning without blowing her brains out.

And now Transportation was the only preparation left before she met other masters.

Edited by Deadmeat Elyn

(OOC: It's okay. I should've mentioned earlier the summoning took place at Levi's home)

Levi unshielded his eyes and gazed in awe at the woman clad in samurai armor before him inside the study, an excited grin forming on his lips. He did it, he successfully summoned a Servant. Now to finalize the contract, "Yes, I am your master. Please work together with me for the Holy Grail is in this war, my partner. My name is Levi Yoshizawa!" He cheerfully introduced himself to the woman. She looked just like the woman he read about in the history book laying open on the study desk behind him, except for the different hair color. No doubt a product of the grails summoning. He had a funny feeling she wasn't too thrilled about sporting a different hair color than the one the in the picture in the book behind him on the desk. Levi hoped he wouldn't have to use a command seal at this early stage. Otherwise, the worst he would be looking at was not having a house standing anymore.

OK, one more time. Are all the dimensions of my summoning circle perfect? Ryouta checked the intricate design drawn with chalk on the abandoned parking lot for what seemed like the hundredth time, comparing it to the design in the dog-eared scrapbook. I can't afford a single slip-up. If I'm going to stand a chance in this war I need to bring my A-game to everything. Inside the circle laid a small and unassuming dagger, said to have claimed the lives of over a hundred people. It was a gift from his friend and teacher, but according to Ryouta's knowledge of catalysts, it was an unsuitably poor offering. Ryouta appreciated it all the same.

He was certain anybody with more magical experience than he would have produced a circle more efficient, but he was certain this would do the job. He had magical talent in his blood, after all. Everything had seemed like a roller-coaster ride ever since his father's old friend, Kenta Furuya, contacted him at his uncle's mansion, whose shock at Ryouta's neglected magical skills inspired him to run away with the young teen. Ryouta's life forthwith consisted of drive-in motels, TV dinners and extensive lessons in magic until this week, where his uncle contacted him and scathingly dared him to enter the Holy Grail War so he would 'learn a lesson' as he exclaimed.

Ryouta licked his lips. It's time. Taking a hastily written note from his pocket, he wondered if this was either the best or worst decision of his life, his thoughts gravitating towards the latter. Immediately chastising himself for his fickleness, he made an inner vow to never doubt himself again. I will win this war or die trying.

He began to speak:

"Let sliver and stone be the essence. Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation. Let red be the color I pay tribute to. Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall. Let the four cardinal gates close. Let the three forked road from the crown reaching unto the kindgom rotate. Fill, fill, fill, fill, fill. Repeat five times, but destroy each when finished,"

Raising his hand emblazoned with a magical rune, he recited the final part of his incantation.

"I require the strength to turn misfortune to opportunity

Blood to a beacon

Powerlessness to glory

O mighty soul, respond to my conviction and pave me a path

Of which there no other recourse but to tread its length with thou

And reach the glorious end

Therein lies the possibility to enter the halls of gods

Come!"

He waited.