Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

Esbat is somewhat gimmicky. Defeat the gimmick, and they're not that bad. Best of luck on the stratum boss - you'll need it.

Thank you! I'm probably gonna be at level 40-1 when I tackle that boss? I'm currently at level 39. I'm not looking forward to it...

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Esbat is somewhat gimmicky. Defeat the gimmick, and they're not that bad. Best of luck on the stratum boss - you'll need it.

I enjoyed the Esbat fight a lot just because of said gimmick, I only had to redo the fight 2-3 time, but it's a fart compared to what's coming next.

Why my own War Magus can't be this good ? u_u

Well, even bosses (including the ultimate oen) can be Binded/Affected by status aliment and can have weaknesses.

It's really unforgiving, sure, but I don't remember any really cheap tricks.

Most of the time, you lose because of your own mistakes or lack of preparation (even if it asks you to be crazy prepared.).

Of course, even the common ennemies can utter destroy you if you're careless, but each tiem I lose I scream at myself because I was overconfident, not as the game for being pure bullshit.

That's what I mean by "fair : it constantly pushese you to your limits (even in Normal Mode), but it never betray its own rules.

ANd that kind of difficulty is really rare, so that's one of the strongest aspect of EO to me.

We won't have it ther before 2018... It'll be a long wait indeed.

Well EO always had lolis, (though maybe not as frontal as here, I'l admit.)

I guess if it's the only "problem" the game has, I can live with it.

Emphasis on 'Crazy Prepared', but even that is not enough. I remember the Hollow Queen from EO4; crazy evasion, spawn mook with crazy evasion. And hello ailments and bind.

Even more aggravating, is that they give you a character made for this battle.

Well, if I had a Sniper/Hunter/Whatever, this could've been easier, but strangely enough, I don't feel like it would be much. :p

Not as frontal nor as obvious as here, yeah. :p

2018... ahaha.... I think Japan doesn't understand that 2 years is a lot.

Edited by B.Leu

I enjoyed the Esbat fight a lot just because of said gimmick, I only had to redo the fight 2-3 time, but it's a fart compared to what's coming next.

Why my own War Magus can't be this good ? u_u

Emphasis on 'Crazy Prepared', but even that is not enough. I remember the Hollow Queen from EO4; crazy evasion, spawn mook with crazy evasion. And hello ailments and bind.

Even more aggravating, is that they give you a character made for this battle.

Well, if I had a Sniper/Hunter/Whatever, this could've been easier, but strangely enough, I don't feel like it would be much. :p

Not as frontal nor as obvious as here, yeah. :p

2018... ahaha.... I think Japan doesn't understand that 2 years is a lot.

Well, I'm screwed. XD I am just gonna go FOE killing, finish off the last quest I've got (apart from the Chess one... Which I cannot remember the name of) and then just go ingredient grinding. :) I'll probably be at level 40-1 by the time I finish all of that, right? :)

I had the Dark Hunter and Wufan.. Still lost the Hollow Queen Fight the first time I tried it. :(

Well, I guess you're gonna have to put up with me complaining about the delay for the next two years then...

Thank you! I'm probably gonna be at level 40-1 when I tackle that boss? I'm currently at level 39. I'm not looking forward to it...

Part of the fight is prepping beforehand. The other part of the fight is whether or not the RNG is gonna interfere. If things don't go horribly south, you should be able to manage, though it's gonna be a long fight. Pack some Amritas - you'll need 'em.

Part of the fight is prepping beforehand. The other part of the fight is whether or not the RNG is gonna interfere. If things don't go horribly south, you should be able to manage, though it's gonna be a long fight. Pack some Amritas - you'll need 'em.

When it comes to prepping, I'm the Queen of it... I easily spent 6 months prepping for the final boss of Etrian Odyssey IV, and was surprised by how easy the fight was. XD Though the RNG will probably hate me... :(

I think I have 4-5 Amritas, plus I kept Arianna as a Soverign, so I can use her Force Break skill in a pinch.

When it comes to prepping, I'm the Queen of it... I easily spent 6 months prepping for the final boss of Etrian Odyssey IV, and was surprised by how easy the fight was. XD Though the RNG will probably hate me... :(

I think I have 4-5 Amritas, plus I kept Arianna as a Soverign, so I can use her Force Break skill in a pinch.

You may need to use Bertrand/Flavio's, as well. Chloe's a good one if the RNG really hates you, and Fafnir's is best used as a finisher. Speaking of Faffy, his Boost will be immensely helpful. Arianna will probably be too busy spamming Prevent Order to use her Break.

You may need to use Bertrand/Flavio's, as well. Chloe's a good one if the RNG really hates you, and Fafnir's is best used as a finisher. Speaking of Faffy, his Boost will be immensely helpful. Arianna will probably be too busy spamming Prevent Order to use her Break.

Trust me, I know how amazing Flavio's and Bertrand's Force Boosts/Breaks are. :) I'm not kidding, Flavio managed to attack one enemy 7 times when I Force boosted him. :D And Perfect Defence has saved my hide multiple times. I will also probably use Chloe's Force Boost/Break if I need to. :D Blade's Force Boost is a-maze-ing and I'll save the Force Break for the end of the fight. And I'll spam Prevent Order, and maybe Force Boost Arianna as well when she does it? :)

Trust me, I know how amazing Flavio's and Bertrand's Force Boosts/Breaks are. :) I'm not kidding, Flavio managed to attack one enemy 7 times when I Force boosted him. :D And Perfect Defence has saved my hide multiple times. I will also probably use Chloe's Force Boost/Break if I need to. :D Blade's Force Boost is a-maze-ing and I'll save the Force Break for the end of the fight. And I'll spam Prevent Order, and maybe Force Boost Arianna as well when she does it? :)

Yep~! You'll understand why Flavio's is somewhat necessary for this fight, if the RNG decides to be stupid. Force-boosted Prevent Orders should make life a lot easier for you.

Yep~! You'll understand why Flavio's is somewhat necessary for this fight, if the RNG decides to be stupid. Force-boosted Prevent Orders should make life a lot easier for you.

I've also read about the Ice Block strategy to shave off half of her HP, which I'm also going to abuse at my leisure~! :D if she has 23000~ ish HP- if I take off half of her HP, I'll only have to take off 11500~ ish HP... Which I can do. :)

I've also read about the Ice Block strategy to shave off half of her HP, which I'm also going to abuse at my leisure~! :D if she has 23000~ ish HP- if I take off half of her HP, I'll only have to take off 11500~ ish HP... Which I can do. :)

RNG is your best friend in Etrian Odyssey. And your worst ennemy.

Since we are on the topic of EO2Untold, could you guys tell me what you think of my team ? It's been a while since I played, I'm on the Fourth Stratum.

Protector - Bouclier

Level 46. Skill Points: 2

Skills

Grimoire Skills Natural Instinct 7, Pre-Provoke 1, Shield Mastery 3, Freezing Snare 2 (Ex: Drop Amount Up1)

Shield Mastery - 7/10 +3

-- Front Guard - 5/10

-- Rear Guard - 5/10

-- Fire Wall - 9/10

-- Ice Wall - 9/10

-- Volt Wall - 9/10

- Heal Guard 1/10

- Shield Smiter 1/10

Phys DEF Up 1/10

--Provoke 5/10 => Pre Provoke 1/5 +1

My meat shield, she live up to her name. Plus her spear make sure that she can be a decent damage dealer when she doesn't have to protect. Her Force Skills are great, but it is the Perfect Defense that is the best of things. Perfect Defense, Voids all damage to the party, for this turn.

Dark Hunter - Fouet

Level 46 - Skill Points: 1

Grimoire Skills:Take 1, Whip Mastery 7, Mine 3, Ecstasy 10, Curse Master 4

Whip Mastery - 10/10 +7

-- Gag - 7/10 -----|

-- Cuffs - 7/10 ---- Ecstasy 10/10 +10 (No, really, and that was rather easy to find)

-- Shackles - 7/10 |

- Viper - 1/10

- Crimson Rouge 1/10

Curb ATK Up 9/10

My beloved main damage dealer against bosses thanks to Ecstasy and her Force Skills. The fight against Scylla was still hell though. Her Force skills go wonderfully well with War Magus and Hexer. Trance, for 3 turns, raises damage to ennemies with bind and ailments. (Ecstasyyyyy) Rose Prison: Attack with huge chance of bind head/arm/leg AND poison. (Hellooooo Ailment Slash 20)

War Magus - Marron

Level 46 - Skill Points: 5

Grimoire Skill: War Lore Master 2 (Ex: Rare Ennemy Up1), War Heal Line 5, Kingly Fire 5 (I think I got this one from Scylla), Ailing Slash 10, War Edge Master 8

War Lore Mastery 10/10 +2

- War Heal 5/10 -> War Heal Line 5/10 +5 War Heal All 5/10

-- Warmight 1/10

-- Rockskin 1/10

- Artery 1/10

-- Random Disease 1/10

-- Displace 1/10

-- Ware Revive 1/10

War Edge Master 10/10 +8 (Again, seriously)

-- Strength Slash 1/10

-- Guard Slash 1/10

-- Headcut 1/10

-- Armcut 1/10

-- Legcut 1/10

- Ailing Slash 10/10 +10 (Freaking. Seriously.)

My other beloved, jack of all stats, but oh so good. She can heal (Duh), hit hard, and her Ailing Slash 20 make her so freaking good. Which make her great with my Dark Hunter. And the Kingly Fire 5 Grimoire gave her another toy to use. And if I remember correctly, Scyla was weak against Fire.

The Force skills are awesome. War Edge Power: For 3 turns, War Edge effects occurs regardless of ailments. Which means, that for three turns, you can spam Ailment Slash. Well, only two, if you intend to use the Force Break, Fairy Robe, which heals the party's HP and remove bind/ailments, which is not pointless in any case. Screw you Scylla.

Gunner - Froid

Level 46 - Skill Points: 0

Grimoire Skill: Gun Master 7, Take 1 (Ex Stap Up1), Mine 5, Point Blank 1, Ricochet 2 (Ex: Fire Up2)

Gun Master 10/10 +8

- Medic Bullet 1/10

-- Fire Rounds 5/10 - Charged Fire 2/10

-- Ice Rounds 5/10 - Charged Ice 2/10

-- Volt Rounds 5/10 - Charged Volt 1/10 |

-- Head Snipe 1/10

-- Arm Snipe 1/10

-- Leg Snipe 1/10

- Charged Shot 1/10

- Ricochet 2/10 +2

Phys ATK Up - 10/10

- Point Blank 10/10 +1

My elemental user. She is on the boring but practical side of things. She do her Fire/Ice/Volt/Ricochet thingy. Her Force skills are great too. Action Boost allows her to activate her gun skills twice, which is simply wonderful with Ricochet. And Supreme Bolt is simply huge damage and stun. How awesome is that ? Don't wan't X boss to use Dat One Attack, or just want to buy time ? Supreme Bolt his face.

Hexer - Sourire

Level 46 - Skill Points: 7

Grimoire Skills: Thor Formula 6, Curse Master 6, Inferno Strike 9 (Or maybe this one ?) (Ex: Ailment Up1), Link Order II 5, Ecstasy 5, (Ex: Bind Up1)

Curse Mastery 10/10 +6

-- Sapping Curse 1/10

-- Frailty Curse 1/10

-- Blinding Curse 3/10 - Torpor Curse 2/10

-- Venom Curse 3/10 ---|

-- Madness Curse 1/10

-- Cranial Curse 5/10

-- Abdomen Curse 5/10

-- Immobile Curse 5/10

-Evil Eye 4/10

Curb ATK Up 10/10

By the time I fought Scylla, she started to lose her shine. and it's still the case now. Even with all the ailments rate boosting, it's just so freaking random, Aka it misses a lot, and it leave a bad taste.

It is still useful in random battle, but against bosses, when you don't get the chance for kind of screw up ? Eh...

I think this is why I gave her Thor Formula 6 and Inferno Strike, so she could do something with her TP and TEC stats, other than standing there and looking pretty and emo and missing her curses.

This is also thanks to our best friend, RNG, that I decided to not use much of her skill points, because I really dunno what to do with them, and I don't want to waste them.

And then suddenly, after the fight against Scylla I believe... the game suddenly decide to give me a Link Order II 5 Grimoire. Wtf.

Io and behold... the thing make random battles a joke, and a good one.

Step 1 Hexer use Link Order II 5

Step 2: Gunner use Fire/Ice/Volt rounds. (Or anyone else using something elemental)

Step 3: Watch as massive damage are dealt against every monsters.

Step 4: Laugh your ass off because this is just too good.

Step 5: Enjoy what the ennemies drops too.

It's as if the game was trying to tell me something.

Her Force Skills aren't too shabby. Creeping Curse raises bind/ailments success... which, like I said, don't mean jack, since RNG... but with the added effect that the debuff counter won't decrease. Now this last one is interesting.

Black Mist is boring but practical. It makes binds/ailment last longer on all ennemies. On paper, it is good... in reality it seems to be RNG to me. But I can't complain since it goes very well with Dark Hunter's Force skills.

Yes, the RNG is kind enough to make me miss my curses most of the, but meanwhile, give me those kind of Grimoire. Do not question RNG, because it doesn't make sense to me either. :p

PS: The wall text of doom, that shall come back with a vengeance on the apocalypse. xD

Edited by B.Leu

RNG is your best friend in Etrian Odyssey. And your worst ennemy.

Since we are on the topic of EO2Untold, could you guys tell me what you think of my team ? It's been a while since I played, I'm on the Fourth Stratum.

Protector - Bouclier

Level 46. Skill Points: 2

Skills

Grimoire Skills Natural Instinct 7, Pre-Provoke 1, Shield Mastery 3, Freezing Snare 2 (Ex: Drop Amount Up1)

Shield Mastery - 7/10 +3

-- Front Guard - 5/10

-- Rear Guard - 5/10

-- Fire Wall - 9/10

-- Ice Wall - 9/10

-- Volt Wall - 9/10

- Heal Guard 1/10

- Shield Smiter 1/10

Phys DEF Up 1/10

--Provoke 5/10 => Pre Provoke 1/5 +1

My meat shield, she live up to her name. Plus her spear make sure that she can be a decent damage dealer when she doesn't have to protect. Her Force Skills are great, but it is the Perfect Defense that is the best of things. Perfect Defense, Voids all damage to the party, for this turn.

Dark Hunter - Fouet

Level 46 - Skill Points: 1

Grimoire Skills:Take 1, Whip Mastery 7, Mine 3, Ecstasy 10, Curse Master 4

Whip Mastery - 10/10 +7

-- Gag - 7/10 -----|

-- Cuffs - 7/10 ---- Ecstasy 10/10 +10 (No, really, and that was rather easy to find)

-- Shackles - 7/10 |

- Viper - 1/10

- Crimson Rouge 1/10

Curb ATK Up 9/10

My beloved main damage dealer against bosses thanks to Ecstasy and her Force Skills. The fight against Scylla was still hell though. Her Force skills go wonderfully well with War Magus and Hexer. Trance, for 3 turns, raises damage to ennemies with bind and ailments. (Ecstasyyyyy) Rose Prison: Attack with huge chance of bind head/arm/leg AND poison. (Hellooooo Ailment Slash 20)

War Magus - Marron

Level 46 - Skill Points: 5

Grimoire Skill: War Lore Master 2 (Ex: Rare Ennemy Up1), War Heal Line 5, Kingly Fire 5 (I think I got this one from Scylla), Ailing Slash 10, War Edge Master 8

War Lore Mastery 10/10 +2

- War Heal 5/10 -> War Heal Line 5/10 +5 War Heal All 5/10

-- Warmight 1/10

-- Rockskin 1/10

- Artery 1/10

-- Random Disease 1/10

-- Displace 1/10

-- Ware Revive 1/10

War Edge Master 10/10 +8 (Again, seriously)

-- Strength Slash 1/10

-- Guard Slash 1/10

-- Headcut 1/10

-- Armcut 1/10

-- Legcut 1/10

- Ailing Slash 10/10 +10 (Freaking. Seriously.)

My other beloved, jack of all stats, but oh so good. She can heal (Duh), hit hard, and her Ailing Slash 20 make her so freaking good. Which make her great with my Dark Hunter. And the Kingly Fire 5 Grimoire gave her another toy to use. And if I remember correctly, Scyla was weak against Fire.

The Force skills are awesome. War Edge Power: For 3 turns, War Edge effects occurs regardless of ailments. Which means, that for three turns, you can spam Ailment Slash. Well, only two, if you intend to use the Force Break, Fairy Robe, which heals the party's HP and remove bind/ailments, which is not pointless in any case. Screw you Scylla.

Gunner - Froid

Level 46 - Skill Points: 0

Grimoire Skill: Gun Master 7, Take 1 (Ex Stap Up1), Mine 5, Point Blank 1, Ricochet 2 (Ex: Fire Up2)

Gun Master 10/10 +8

- Medic Bullet 1/10

-- Fire Rounds 5/10 - Charged Fire 2/10

-- Ice Rounds 5/10 - Charged Ice 2/10

-- Volt Rounds 5/10 - Charged Volt 1/10 |

-- Head Snipe 1/10

-- Arm Snipe 1/10

-- Leg Snipe 1/10

- Charged Shot 1/10

- Ricochet 2/10 +2

Phys ATK Up - 10/10

- Point Blank 10/10 +1

My elemental user. She is on the boring but practical side of things. She do her Fire/Ice/Volt/Ricochet thingy. Her Force skills are great too. Action Boost allows her to activate her gun skills twice, which is simply wonderful with Ricochet. And Supreme Bolt is simply huge damage and stun. How awesome is that ? Don't wan't X boss to use Dat One Attack, or just want to buy time ? Supreme Bolt his face.

Hexer - Sourire

Level 46 - Skill Points: 7

Grimoire Skills: Thor Formula 6, Curse Master 6, Inferno Strike 9 (Or maybe this one ?) (Ex: Ailment Up1), Link Order II 5, Ecstasy 5, (Ex: Bind Up1)

Curse Mastery 10/10 +6

-- Sapping Curse 1/10

-- Frailty Curse 1/10

-- Blinding Curse 3/10 - Torpor Curse 2/10

-- Venom Curse 3/10 ---|

-- Madness Curse 1/10

-- Cranial Curse 5/10

-- Abdomen Curse 5/10

-- Immobile Curse 5/10

-Evil Eye 4/10

Curb ATK Up 10/10

By the time I fought Scylla, she started to lose her shine. and it's still the case now. Even with all the ailments rate boosting, it's just so freaking random, Aka it misses a lot, and it leave a bad taste.

It is still useful in random battle, but against bosses, when you don't get the chance for kind of screw up ? Eh...

I think this is why I gave her Thor Formula 6 and Inferno Strike, so she could do something with her TP and TEC stats, other than standing there and looking pretty and emo and missing her curses.

This is also thanks to our best friend, RNG, that I decided to not use much of her skill points, because I really dunno what to do with them, and I don't want to waste them.

And then suddenly, after the fight against Scylla I believe... the game suddenly decide to give me a Link Order II 5 Grimoire. Wtf.

Io and behold... the thing make random battles a joke, and a good one.

Step 1 Hexer use Link Order II 5

Step 2: Gunner use Fire/Ice/Volt rounds. (Or anyone else using something elemental)

Step 3: Watch as massive damage are dealt against every monsters.

Step 4: Laugh your ass off because this is just too good.

Step 5: Enjoy what the ennemies drops too.

It's as if the game was trying to tell me something.

Her Force Skills aren't too shabby. Creeping Curse raises bind/ailments success... which, like I said, don't mean jack, since RNG... but with the added effect that the debuff counter won't decrease. Now this last one is interesting.

Black Mist is boring but practical. It makes binds/ailment last longer on all ennemies. On paper, it is good... in reality it seems to be RNG to me. But I can't complain since it goes very well with Dark Hunter's Force skills.

Yes, the RNG is kind enough to make me miss my curses most of the, but meanwhile, give me those kind of Grimoire. Do not question RNG, because it doesn't make sense to me either. :p

PS: The wall text of doom, that shall come back with a vengeance on the apocalypse. xD

Here goes~!

First off, credits to this GameFAQs topic for numbers. The Etrian side of GameFAQs is one of my favorites (even if I never post in there). So, using those numbers. . .

Bouclier - I'm a sucker for giving my spear-wielding Protectors some Highlander skills (Spear Assist is my go-to, though Head Pierce is another good one). I really like Heal Guard at 5, because it gives your War Magus a bit of breathing room. Shield Rush is a nice little utility skill, if the enemies start outspeeding you. Next skill I'd prioritize, though, is Parry. It stacks with Shield Mastery, and even at level 1, it's another (low) chance to negate damage. Lastly, Aegis is a fun little skill to play with, though I wouldn't rely on it heavily. If you have the extra skill points, go for it~!

Fouet - Curse Mastery ONLY affects Curse skills. . .so you can replace it with something more relevant (like Limitless). Why Limitless? Because Drain Bite heals a row, and with Limitless, you can use it with whips. However, your next two objectives are to max out the bind skills, and get Perseverance to 10 (and then get two level 10 grimoires of it). If you decide not to go the Drain Bite route, check out some of the enemy skills - I'm sure your Dark Hunter wouldn't be averse to petrifying stuff (yes, you can get that skill on the fourth stratum; if you don't see it, you're not far enough in).

Marron - Swap that War Heal 5 grimoire for a Barrier 10. Barrier is a lifesaver on later levels!

Froid - Here's a question that you'll need to answer: Are you willing to pay roughly double the TP for a 55% damage increase? If the answer is "yes", focus on the Charged elemental bullet skills. Otherwise, skip them entirely and go for the regular elemental bullets. The TP difference isn't quite as bad at level 20, but the damage difference is the same. I'd put a single point in Burst Shot if you really want the conditional drops (Burst Shot has a whopping FOUR types of damage associated with it, and a pretty impressive damage modifier at level 1). If you want funny shenanigans, get Ricochet up to 20. Get Penetrator if you want to be super-annoying with the elemental bullets. This is probably the most flexible character build IMO.

Sourire - You have a binder in the form of Fouet, so this little Hexer can do one of two things:

1. Focus on status ailments.

2. Force Boost, then Force Shield every turn for infinite debuffs.

If you want to focus on status ailments, I'd choose three, and shove your points in there. The higher the skill's level, the higher the infliction chance is (50% on most of 'em, except for Torpor/Corrupt, which is 55% at level 10; getting a curse up to level 20 is 65%-70%). With a level 20 Curse and level 20 Curse Mastery, you're looking at 84.5%-91% status ailment infliction. Get Perseverance on a grimoire, and she won't miss twice. Evil Eye has a lot of interesting skills attached to them, but things usually die before I have a chance to truly play with them.

If you want infinite debuffs, focus on Sapping/Frailty Curse, then activate Force Boost, then Force Shield (on a grimoire) until you're bored.

Regardless, grab Life Trade at 1 - it's a source of neutral damage and healing, and the less HP you have, the harder it hits. If you have Barrier, grab Reincarnate as well - Barrier will negate Reincarnate's fear, as long as your opponent didn't dispel it first. If you want a really dumb gimmick, do Chained Benefit, then your ailment of choice (which should stick), then Absorb (yet another Grimoire skill) to unbind yourself and give yourself some Force.

OVERALL - I'd stick some Turning Tide grimoires on your damage dealers, so that you don't have to rely on skills to end battles immediately. Either way, looks like you're having fun, and that's what counts~!

I am actually very excited to see an Etrian Odyssey page on here (I named my actual account on here after my Guild in the Etrian Odyssey series)

My favorite game would have to be Etrian Odyssey III (Especially because of Seyfried) but Etrian Odyssey IV is a very close second (because of the Medium and Whirlwind/Logre).

To be honest, however I am not a fan of the Untold series. Having a Story Mode where the characters (in my opinion) are lolis for the sake of lolis really make me sad. I especially didn't like Fredericka in the first Untold. I started off hating Chloe in Untold 2 but I heard she's developed much better than Fredericka.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is very fun. Granted I usually don't enjoy the Mystery Dungeon games, especially Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I feel like EMD tied both franchises together and that's why the game is so fun to me. Some of the new features in both were also interesting to utilize. I just wish my characters didn't die very often.

First thing first, thanks for answering, and answering so quickly, I really appreciate it.

Bouclier - Gee, a tank with spear skills, never heard of it before. :p

Spear Assist and Head Piece looks pretty good, especially the last one.Heal Guard, well, the problem is that it protect and heal only one character. But I perfectly see what make Parry and Aegis interesting. And Shield Rush does seem interesting.

Fouet - Well, that's a bummer, that said, having Limitless does seem pretty nice. Ahah... to have Drain Bite, I'll need at least 5 points in Sword Mastery... and for Perseverance, at least 5 points in Snake Eyes... Ouch. :(

If I may ask, 'and then get two level 10 grimoires of it', you are talking about having one level 10 for Perseverance, and one for Drain Bites, right ?

'I'm sure your Dark Hunter wouldn't be averse to petrifying stuff (yes, you can get that skill on the fourth stratum; if you don't see it, you're not far enough in).'

I'm not seeing it. I'm scared, Am I right to be scared ?

Marron - Barrier is that good ? If so, I trust you. The only reasons this War Heal Line 5 is there is because I had nothing else and I thought I could use better healing line. 'May void bind/ailment/debuff to party this turn' doesn't seem too shabby at all. Should I put my points into it too ?

Froid - The only reason I have points in Charged Fire/Ice/Volt is to have Burst Shot, I've heard a lot of people saying good things about it even at level 1, like you just did. in factI was pretty much doing what you expected me to do; 1 level in Burst Shot, then putting points in Ricochet and Penetrator accordingly. Minus the Ricochet Grimoire 10, that sounds even better !

Sourire - Force Shield is a Fafnir Skill right ? It increase the force boost used by one turn if I remember correctly.

Infinite debuff ? It seems broken, what's the catch ? Or rather, what's make it so good ? I don't really understand the mechanic behind Fafnir's skills.

Yeah, the only reasons she have 5 in binding is so she could help Fouet for binding and cheap damage, I'm kind of starting to regret it. If you don't mind me asking, what ailments should I put my points into ?

Life Trade, only at level 1 ? No more, nor less ? It does seem pretty ballsy to use. Why should I have Reincarnate ? It seems risky to use.

'Evil Eye has a lot of interesting skills attached to them, but things usually die before I have a chance to truly play with them.'

Ara ara, yare yare, you sounds very sadistic there. :p

Turning Tide, a Highlander skill ? 'Recovers HP for party whenever user slays an ennemy', is it good ? What level could be ideal ?
I suppose I'll have to, in the end, put the remaining of my points into skills such as HP Up and TP Up, right ? Does Phys ATK Up worth the sacrifice ?

Once again, thanks ! It's true that I'm having fun, I dunno why I dropped playing the game for a while though.

Gee, it feel strange to see people saying the name of my characters. :p

Edited by B.Leu

EOU question:

What happens to your guild members if you go Story->Classic->Story->Classic ?

I started the game on Story-mode and the characters can be transferred to Classic, but I don't know what happens going from Classic to Story.

This is fun, thanks for posting a cool team~!

Bouclier - Gee, a tank with spear skills, never heard of it before. :p

Spear Assist and Head Piece looks pretty good, especially the last one.Heal Guard, well, the problem is that it protect and heal only one character. But I perfectly see what make Parry and Aegis interesting. And Shield Rush does seem interesting.

Heal Guard is for those times when the enemy decides to take a giant dump on one of your characters. I've found uses for it.

Shield Rush looks like one of the few sources of bash damage you'll be able to get (unless Marron's got a staff). I know there's a couple of irritating things that are weak to bash, so it's good to have around.

Fouet - Well, that's a bummer, that said, having Limitless does seem pretty nice. Ahah... to have Drain Bite, I'll need at least 5 points in Sword Mastery... and for Perseverance, at least 5 points in Snake Eyes... Ouch. :(

If I may ask, 'and then get two level 10 grimoires of it', you are talking about having one level 10 for Perseverance, and one for Drain Bites, right ?

'I'm sure your Dark Hunter wouldn't be averse to petrifying stuff (yes, you can get that skill on the fourth stratum; if you don't see it, you're not far enough in).'

I'm not seeing it. I'm scared, Am I right to be scared ?

You'll want two level 10 Perseverance grimoires. One can go to Fouet, the other to Sourire. That way, Sourire's odds of hitting her status effects are better if she whiffs the first time, and Fouet shouldn't miss those binds twice, ever. Drain Bite's nice to have around, and during one rather silly FOE battle, that was the skill that kept my front line alive.

You'll know what the monster is when you see it. Luckily (?), it can only petrify one person at a time. It's also somewhat bulky, so it'll probably stay alive for at least a turn (as it's also not the biggest threat. . .that goes to something else).

Marron - Barrier is that good ? If so, I trust you. The only reasons this War Heal Line 5 is there is because I had nothing else and I thought I could use better healing line. 'May void bind/ailment/debuff to party this turn' doesn't seem too shabby at all. Should I put my points into it too ?

Barrier 20 guarantees that one debuff/status effect will be negated, assuming that the enemy uses such a skill. It's pretty good on the fourth stratum, and makes the rest of the game a lot less irritating. There's a certain fifth stratum critter that will be MOST unhappy if you hack out Barrier at opportune moments. . . :P:

Sourire - Force Shield is a Fafnir Skill right ? It increase the force boost used by one turn if I remember correctly.

Infinite debuff ? It seems broken, what's the catch ? Or rather, what's make it so good ? I don't really understand the mechanic behind Fafnir's skills.

Yeah, the only reasons she have 5 in binding is so she could help Fouet for binding and cheap damage, I'm kind of starting to regret it. If you don't mind me asking, what ailments should I put my points into ?

Life Trade, only at level 1 ? No more, nor less ? It does seem pretty ballsy to use. Why should I have Reincarnate ? It seems risky to use.

'Evil Eye has a lot of interesting skills attached to them, but things usually die before I have a chance to truly play with them.'

Ara ara, yare yare, you sounds very sadistic there. :p

You can get Fafnir skills by working the community via the restaurant (memory's hazy, but I think Fafnir's skills come from the slums). Force Shield extends Force Boost by a turn, but in exchange, that's your action for the turn. Thus, Sourire will be using Force Shield every turn, but as long as she does, Force Boost won't end, and your debuffs will stick around until they get replaced. If you really want this build, see if you can get your hands on Force Charge (restores TP while in Force Boost), at level 9 or 10. Once you hit 200 TP, you'll gain the cost of Force Shield and 1-2 TP more at the end of every turn. It's silly, but funny.

The other Fafnir skill I mentioned is Absorb. It cancels binds on the user, and refills a bit of the Force Gauge. If you want to be unchained from Chained Benefit, Absorb will need to be at least level 2. If you want to remove an ailment on your Hexer as well as all binds, get Absorb at level 5 (which is max, IIRC).

Me, sadistic? I'm just giving those monsters their due, after what they've done to my poor team! :P:

[spoiler=Stratum 5]It's not like I'm salty because a group of Mandrakes got the jump on me, and screamed my party to death! Why would I ever want to rip the petals off that monster and every last one of its kind because of such a minor transgression?

Oh, right, ailments. Ahem. I'd go with Blinding/Torpor Curse - Blinding Curse greatly drops your opponent's accuracy, and Torpor Curse + Ailment Slash is amazing. If you have the extra points, shove 'em in Madness Curse - panic doesn't guarantee that the enemy won't attack you, but it's better than nothing.

Turning Tide, a Highlander skill ? 'Recovers HP for party whenever user slays an ennemy', is it good ? What level could be ideal ?

I suppose I'll have to, in the end, put the remaining of my points into skills such as HP Up and TP Up, right ? Does Phys ATK Up worth the sacrifice ?

Turning Tide is one of my favorite skills to stick on my bruisers. It restores a flat bit of HP plus a percentage of max HP. It's passable at level 1 (7 damage + 6% max HP), but the higher you can get it, the better - the percentage goes up, all the way to 15% at level 10 (the flat part doesn't increase enough for me to jump for joy, and needs to go way past level 10 before I'd call it decent). It's great for dungeon exploration/gathering, but I'd take it off for boss battles!

EOU question:

What happens to your guild members if you go Story->Classic->Story->Classic ?

I started the game on Story-mode and the characters can be transferred to Classic, but I don't know what happens going from Classic to Story.

I was told the classic characters will return to your roster when you come back to classic, but I'd check on gamefaqs if no one knows here. For one thing, I don't know what will happen to your roster if you have a full list of classic characters, then play story, then go back to classic with 5 more characters than the max roster size.

Ugh, EO3 is kicking my ass. I am not pleased. What is the recommended level I should be at before tackling the fourth stratum? My team consists of prince, protector, monk, zodiac, and ninja. Is this even a good team?

I am actually very excited to see an Etrian Odyssey page on here (I named my actual account on here after my Guild in the Etrian Odyssey series)

My favorite game would have to be Etrian Odyssey III (Especially because of Seyfried) but Etrian Odyssey IV is a very close second (because of the Medium and Whirlwind/Logre).

To be honest, however I am not a fan of the Untold series. Having a Story Mode where the characters (in my opinion) are lolis for the sake of lolis really make me sad. I especially didn't like Fredericka in the first Untold. I started off hating Chloe in Untold 2 but I heard she's developed much better than Fredericka.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is very fun. Granted I usually don't enjoy the Mystery Dungeon games, especially Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I feel like EMD tied both franchises together and that's why the game is so fun to me. Some of the new features in both were also interesting to utilize. I just wish my characters didn't die very often.

Aren't you one of the members from the EO fan site "Into the Labyrinth"?

Ugh, EO3 is kicking my ass. I am not pleased. What is the recommended level I should be at before tackling the fourth stratum? My team consists of prince, protector, monk, zodiac, and ninja. Is this even a good team?

I thought the general level formula was stratum * 2.5, or something like that. So if you're under level 30, try doing a bit of FOE hunting on the third stratum.

As for your team. . .kinda depends on the ninja and your subclasses, IMO. Prince/Monk play more of a supporting role, Protector's a tank, and Zodiac's a TEC nuke. If your ninja's got physical DPS, that's fine. Otherwise, I'd see how replacing him/her with something like a Buccaneer/Gladiator/Arbalist would work.

From what I've seen, Ninja seems to be considered one of the worst class in the game, despite having high evasion/speed, due to having very low stats, and not being good at actually using their skills. However it's considered one of best subclasses of the game, since most classes can actually make good use of their skills. (Hello bunshin.), and evasion/speed boost.

Then again, that's me who is talking, the pro here is eclipse, so listen to her more than me.

Now I remember just how terrifying Link Order II 5 was, I literally I got through three floor like it was butter. Even the FOE didn't hurt me much. *o*

Whelp, that would explain why I don't have much Fafnir grimoires, the slums are not much developped... but meanwhile, I have a Hightlander grimoire level 10. mine

It's true that my only source of bash damage is Sourire the Hexer, so having Shield Rush doesn't sound too shabby at all. It is bash attack to all enemies after all.

Barrier 20 is a must have, got it!

Oh, I get it now, Creeping Curse, 'for 3 turns, raises bind/ailment success & ennemy debuff counter won't decrease'

... are you telling me that if, hypothetically... I use Creeping Curse on a boss, then use Rose Prison (Cut with high change of head/arm/leg bind and poison)... I could literally spam Extasy and Ailment Slash forever with Force Shield ?

Or heck, even blinding them in-between ? While having unlimited TP with Force Charge ? That sounds... hilariously broken.

Blinding, Torpor, and Madness, got it too ! (Knew that having blinding was a good idea.)

...can't I have both tactics ? :p

So, Turning Tide is a good skill to have to give Marron a bit of breathing place, huh, same with Heal Guard... Can't be too bad.

Once again, thank you very much ! :)

No problem~!

I don't remember if it's ailments/binds that don't wear off, or debuffs only. If it turns out to be ailments. . .hoo boy, have FUN with Blinding Curse!

Creeping curse only works for debuffs so ailments will drop off during the boost. Blinding curse is great because so many enemies don't have a high resistance to blind, making it one of the go to ailments in the game(along with poison).

I'd also recommend getting Vampire for your War Magus. 10% of the damage is recovered at level 1. Combined with ailing slash and the healing is amazing.

[spoiler=Stratum 5]It's not like I'm salty because a group of Mandrakes got the jump on me, and screamed my party to death! Why would I ever want to rip the petals off that monster and every last one of its kind because of such a minor transgression?

I was ambushed by those enemies RIGHT after beating the 4th stratum boss and before I could reach the pole. Though I guess it was my fault for wanting to step on every space.

Oh eff, forgot about Vampire. Whoopsies~! :P:

I was ambushed by those enemies RIGHT after beating the 4th stratum boss and before I could reach the pole. Though I guess it was my fault for wanting to step on every space.

Three steps away from the stairs to the next level when that happened. Yes I was mad.

I've been playing the original Etrian Odyssey recently (basically trying to get my $22 out of it before I virtually abandon it and buy a better entry someday) and I'm just wondering when y'all think is a good time to fight the first boss. I've been kinda paranoid about it considering the game's brutal difficulty and have so far grinded my way to level 20 on all my party members. Should I keep grinding or would I do alright if I tried?

If you must know:

Protector, Landsknecht (sword variant)

Medic, Survivalist, Troubadour

Aren't you one of the members from the EO fan site "Into the Labyrinth"?

OHHHH Why yes I am. I forgot my password sadly so now I am hanging here. 8)

I think you have a pretty standard team. I say work your way over lvl. 40, as that was the level I defeated the Gatekeeper. If you subclass however, that can shrink down a notch.