Duelist Kingdom Mafia [Game Over]

Elieson

Good thing you primed on N1 then, right? I mean that was probably the most well used night action in the whole game.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing you primed on N1 then, right? I mean that was probably the most well used night action in the whole game.

Pretty much, yeah. Shin got hosed N1 pretty badly. Well actually the massclaim just kind of hosed us period, although it may not have been quite as bad if I hadn't been an idiot and claimed Tracker.

It was because of the actual name for the role being journalist, whereas a sneak makes the target a ninja for the night

so it made no sense thanks eli

Yeah it's almost as if I scan guilty to you, which is a concept entirely foreign to mafia! I don't blame you for not considering that possibility, who's ever heard of a townsperson that scans guilty to cops!

On a serious note, I would get all your results so unless you claimed all of them I'd be able to prove my role. Rolespec being bullshit still stands, lynching someone for their role name is literally scum logic (RD's vote on Mitsuki early D2).

---

Shin's D1 play hosed him, really. The Randa wagon was terrible and if I hadn't been too busy to properly rip into it and Randa had claimed earlier I doubt it would have happened. The less said about the D2 lynch, the better. Scum was way too weak to deal with town, but for all town's investigation powers, the only role that contributed to a scum death was the arsonist.

I don't see why lynching the role that's normally a ninja variant with a flipped watcher is a weird assumption? But yeah you would've had my results so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I don't see why lynching the role that's normally a ninja variant with a flipped watcher is a weird assumption?

It'd be just as weird as lynching you because your character is a good guy and we're all bad guys. Yes, I am putting rolespec in the same category as flavourspec, that is how bullshit it is. It should never be used in a closed setup.

Rolespec being bullshit still stands, lynching someone for their role name is literally scum logic (RD's vote on Mitsuki early D2).

I legitimately thought that Mitsuki was an SK variant, since I had never seen the role before (I had to look it up on Google) and I was trying to figure out why I had a Sensor ability.

Seriously, if you scan someone and they scan Serial Killer, wouldn't you lynch them too?

I don't think rolespec is bad on a whole but hasty rolespec probably sucks.

Also if it actually happened and I gave it more than two seconds of thought I probably would've been confused why scum made me a ninja that night instead of their buddy and just asked you what the fuck happened.

Flavourspec on a whole isn't bad either (if we'd lynched RD for being the pwotagonist we'd have been right). That doesn't mean you should ever do it.

After the Rapier lynch I'd be hesitant to assume town would have any common sense at all :|

EDIT: On reflection, I may be frustrated over being unable to convince town on D1 and then shot for being right N1. So if I seem snarky, don't take it seriously.

Edited by Baldrick

I think rolespec is bad if you take it as proof and not as just another factor to have in mind, since you'll never know what the host was thinking about while making the setup or if it got properly checked.

Postgame I guess.

The setup - 8:2

The initial goal of this game was to give town a bunch of roles, have little bits of info everywhere, but very little that could outright define anybody as far as a role goes. I intended to punish rolespec by putting in a sequence of outlandish roles that could fit the bill of any alignment, and expected people to Host-Meta me (as they tend to), and suffer for it. As the sequel to Battle City Finals mafia, I wanted to include an ITP. To my surprise, I didn't. I instead put in a bunch of roles that could fit the bill for an ITP, but left the alignment mysteriously empty, which would only really be confirmable by later stages of the game.

In note, I wanted to try a few things that I haven't seen before, in hopes that they could work in tandem with one-another. The Ultravoter, and Hidden Auto-Hammer, I thought might function well together, but to benefit mafia more than town. In contrast, I expected the Arsonist to be sort of a wildcard, and for the Reflexive RoleCop and Sneak to function as complete opposites. I didn't want to include a standard Godfather either, and put a lot of thought into what to do for mafia's "godfather"-alternative. An added benefit of Miller came with the sneak, as Role Name and Functionality, while similar, are left open to interpretation, and well Rolespec can only go so far.

In hindsight, town came out to be too strong, and I can guess exactly where. A combination of a little good followed by a lot of bad luck and town fakeclaims threw the mafia off their spades after that watcher lynch, and it was a difficult climb up because of rolespec clears that I built this setup in hopes to prevent.

[spoiler=Mitsuki/Marth]
Dear USER, you are Mai Valentine.

The stereotypical tough chick; you and your screw feminism harpy deck tool around for prize money and who knows what else. How did your hair get so huge? You're seriously a product of the '70s.

During the night, you may respond to your RolePM with: ##Night X: Setting a "Trap Card" for [uSER]. or ##Night X: In your face, hot shot!. The former applies a prime to [uSER], and the latter activates the prime, causing the prime'd [uSER] to die in a fiery explosion of pain and suffering. Each action can only be used one time. How bossy!

In short, you are the Town One-shot Arsonist.

You are aligned with the Town, and win when the rest of the living players are also Town.

Role: In this sequel to my 7:2:1 Battle City Finals, I had a few thoughts in mind. I wanted an extra kill, but I didn't necessarily want it to be an easy one. I planned for some vote manipulation, but a town Arsonist would have a few things to contend with. With a Watcher, Sneak and Reflexive Role Cop in mind, as well as a mafia Track and Cop, there were a lot of ways for this role to get caught in the act, and typically, Arsonists are not town. This was an attempt to give town a little extra pressure without it coming from a necessarily obvitown role. The shot, of course, could be extremely successful in applying pressure with a claim, but the implications of claiming would hurt more in late game than early game, so it's a tossup on usage that I thought would be more rewarding for town to sit by and think before using. Still...probably too powerful for a game with only 2 mafia in it...

Mitsuki: Played pretty hard early on, and spotted Shin's behavior as both good and bad. I'd give you kudos for realizing that Shin was scummy overnight, but your stories were a bit lackluster in why you thought Shin was scummy and worth Priming. Though, you used the role in the best way that it was intended, and ended up causing slipups which i think ultimately led to scum's demise.

Marth: Coasted on what ended up being an accidental clear. Good job I guess?

Evidently, town found this to be incredibly town, even in Potential MYLO *which, for the record, was Potential because if town Mislynched and Marth didn't fire, it would be 2:2 in the next day phase. Refa brought up the possibilty of ITP Arsonist, but this role was pressured far less than I expected it to have been.

[spoiler=Technosuke/Rapier]Dear USER, you are the Paradox Brothers.

You're two people. Wait, no you're one person, just split into two. You constantly rhyme, and have a decent deck theme. You live underground, which is weird, and you are only distinguishable by the colors of your clothing. Family reunions must be thrilling.

Since you are two people, it will be exceptionally hard to take you down. When you are in perfect sync with your alter ego, is when you are in top scum-hunting shape. However, should you waver from your rhyming ways of speech, your unity will weaken, and so will your ability to maintain self-preservation. You are required to make at least 4 posts per phase, and 75% of your posts must include rhyming in their entirety (quotes and ##Votes not included). Failure to do so will cause your ability to be rendered useless. How quirky!

In short, you are the Town Conditional One-shot Bulletproof.

You are aligned with the Town, and win when the rest of the living players are also Town.

Town's protective role was only protective if they were active. If they weren't active, they would've faced a lynch. If they weren't paying enough attention and couldn't maintain their role, they lost their protection. I just didn't want a full blown town DOC/HOOK/JAIL that could actively protect somebody, since I had initial plans to minimize role blocking and leave that idea up to the interpretation of the game via rolespec.

Technosuke: Sry life didn't work out for you for this game. I hope you can join again

Rapier: I think your paranoia just got to you. That, and town just working through PoE in a setup that shouldn't have. Your lynch was kind of bad, given the face that only you claimed a protective role in an almost massclaim scenario, but it was a fight i could tell that you tried.

[spoiler=Refa]Dear USER, you are PaniK.

You're an Eliminator for Duelist Kingdom, and you're kind of a jerk. Shadows and Darkness and Evil and yada yada. Why did you capitalize the K at the end of your name? I'd sue the hospital where your Birth Certificate was approved...you've got a major case there.

During the day, you cannot perform the standard ##Vote [uSER]. The only way you may perform votes is to post ##Vote. Your super powered vote will affect all living [uSER]s, including yourself, for +1 vote. This ability is deactivated in instances of *YLO, and in these situations, you may vote normally. So creepy!

In short, you are the Town Ultra-voter.

Probably the most unique role, that Kaoz and I discussed for quite some time. The idea of an ultravoter would be to either apply massive amounts of pressure, or no pressure at all. This would cause the player with this role to really feel confident with their reads, and the comfort of town, to be a success. Since it was omnipresent in votals, you'd have to be very careful with voting, but active enough as town to avoid being just shrugged off as scum. I considered making it a secret vote that hit everybody, but only displayed on the person he would vote for, but that was scrapped for a slightly less scummy version of the role.

Refa: You did this, through intense spam. I don't know how it worked, but it worked. You actually handled the role quite well; claiming it asap. If it was not Omnipresent in votals, would you have claimed it the way you did? Your reads were off for most of the game too, but I think you were just town enough to edge out the votes in your favor late game. Your early game though, was very strong.

[spoiler=SB]Dear USER, you are Joey Wheeler.

Your a chivalrous idiot who wins duels using the Luck of the Cards. I'd elaborate more, but you're just too awesome for words.

Since you're inexperienced in general, you can't use your awesome street-smarts to figure out the roles of those guys over there. However, if anyone comes near you at any time, you'll figure out what their powers are, with your cool Brooklyn accent and over-sized hairdo. How manly!

In short, you are the Town Reflexive Role Cop.

My other favorite role, after the performance in this game. Reflexive Role Cop was designed to just catch anybody who targeted him, and function as a weaker cop. The implications of acquiring multiple scans could throw off town, should he get targeted by multiple users, but in this setup, it was too much. With a watcher in game, it really did tip things out of balance. The role itself was just designed as a weak cop, and I had two roles built around this, Rex (Godfather through Sensor/Motivate) and Bandit Keith (Miller, through Sneak), by Role name.

None of those hit you, so you played pretty cleanly. You got lucky with the claimed Autohammer targeting you, and played pretty townstrong overall. Mafia couldn't really outplay you because as soon as you struck gold with Shin, the arson prime was applied, and you could easily remove your miller fakeclaim (which was a horrible idea by the way, given your role), without reprecussion. My thoughts for you are that claiming miller is not going to get you targeted under normal circumstances, and your role's power came from being targeted. Kinda lucky, but good play overall.

[spoiler=Randa]Dear USER, you are Weevil Underwood.

ihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoice. Oh, and you got Yugi's Exodia cards wet. That, and bugs. ihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoiceihateyourvoice

During the night, you may respond to your RolePM with: ##Night X: Planting a bug on [uSER]. Your bug will inform you of anyone who visits [uSER] during the night. How gross!

In short, you are the Town Watcher.

This was me feeling like town was limited in Investigation, and sorta added near the end, with the idea that a Journalist (sneak) and a Reflexive cop, being towns only info, would be a bit too weak. It pushed the boundary really hard on game balance though, being a full blown watcher, and I regret building this role into the game because of it. Mafia got lucky with this mislynch. Things would've been really really hard with him still around.

Randa: Activity bro.

[spoiler=Poly/Prims]
Dear USER, you are Bonz.

Your face is creepy, and you're mocked for it. That sucks. You work for Bandit Keith, voluntarily. That sucks. Your death jokes are pretty good. I'd say keep up your career in dueling, but you'd probably do well as a comic at the Haunted Mansion in Walt Disney World.

During the night, you may respond to your RolePM with: ##Night X: Announcing [THIS] from beyoooonnnndddd the graaavvvveeee. This message will be broadcasted, anonymously, during the following phase update. [THIS] can be, well, anything, as long as it's a meme picture(s), and not just words. How unexpected!

Also, since you're pretty much a zombie, you can stay up all night practicing your spooky faces and otherwise scary behavior, meaning you don't sleep, and can post all night long. Your latest obsession is poetry, so all your night posts must be made in Haiku format (5-7-5 syllable. Failure to do so results in losing your insomnia. How wacky!

In short, you are the Town Conditional Insomniac + Announcer.

Just a makeshift Vanilla-mod role; I didn't intend for this to have any major power or influence in the game. The Meme/Haiku was neat to add, and entertaining to see in play. I'd do this again.

Poly, your play was pretty questionable, since you often have difficulty finding time to participate, and in this setup, rolled Insomniac & Announcer, but used neither, despite claiming that you could prove your role overnight. It left your slot in a bad spot

Prims picked up the slack, and hard. His fakeclaim of Sentinel pushed mafia over the edge, and coaxed them to kill Dandragon, which turned out to be suboptimal for them. If I'd give MVP for role usage to Mitsuki, I'd give play MVP to you for that fakeclaim and overall pressure/leadership after your sub in.

[spoiler=Dandragon]Dear USER, you are Mako Tsunami.

You're all about the ocean, and after losing your father at sea, you've dedicated your life to conquering all challenges made by it. That's pretty noble. You're underrated in terms of popularity, but I think you've got a good heart. Just, take a few more showers.

During the night, you may respond to your RolePM with: ##Night X: Something's fishy about [uSER]. By sniffing your way through this case like a certain unnamed crime-fighting dog, you'll learn who [uSER] is. How smelly!

In short, you are the Town Flavor Cop.

This role was a Vanilla-mod, built to throw town off in thinking that the Arsonist or the Ultravoter were not town. Host meta indicates that I like throwing in stupid ITP roles, and this was more or less designed to help sniff that out and draw the idea home. It never did, because the claim fumble and arsonist's pressure were too convenient for town to really catch on to.

Dan, be sure to read your role correctly, before posting about it. You shot yourself in the foot by stumbling over your claim, and you're lucky you didn't get lynched because of it. Decent reads though, for your 2nd game. Stay on top of your role though; you forgot to act N1, and although you had no idea that your role was a red herring, you still should've acted like it mattered.

[spoiler=Baldrick]Dear USER, you are Bandit Keith.

You won 10 star chips. In America.

During the night, you may respond to your RolePM with: ##Night X: Sticky fingers say something's up [uSER]'s sleeve. You'll secretly receive a copy of the results that [uSER] would get during their night phase. How sneaky, in America!

In short, you are the Town Sneak.

You are towns other informative role, but could target players. You were intended to be fairly powerful, in that you could function much like a tracker, but your Role name was built to appear as a guilty (Miller) to the reflexive role cop. Funnily enough, if you targeted him, you'd have seen yourself target him. Other than the Kill, you'd have learned "success" or "failure" from pretty much every other role in the game. Only the Full Cop and Reflexive Role Cop would have given you any indicative results.

You hit it big with your Shin target, learning that he cop'd SB, but it was just an unfortunate dealing that you got hit out of the blue as the Night 1 kill. Your play and pressure were well on all game, and it was that minus the claim, that got you killed. That's a compliment though, because you were threatening enough to kill without Role knowledge, something that was in the air for virtually everyone else bar Refa at the time (and Shin).

[spoiler=Shin]Dear USER, you are Rex Raptor.

You like dinosaurs. WAY TOO MUCH. You've got a goofy spike of white hair on your head, and constantly lose duels. How'd you get nationally ranked again?

During the night, you may respond to your RolePM with: ##Night X: How do I beat [uSER] in a duel?! You'll take a big bite of of [uSER], and learn their full RolePM. This will fill your appetite for RolePMs though, and thus, you can only do this once.

Also, during the day, your vote will instantly default to any [uSER] that is not yourself, if [uSER] is at L-1. This applies only if you are not currently voting for somebody else, or have ##Unvoted. Also, this is secret, and will not display on End-of-phase Votals, but the Lynch'd player will be displayed as having the hammer-required amount of votes on them. (Thus, you will be listed under the "Not Voting" users). You can deactivate this for the next phase and hide this ability from any checks by responding to your RolePM with: ##Night X: Holding back the bite! This will only deactivate it for the next day phase, and has to be submitted again for the following night phase to maintain its secrecy. Though, it is active during Day 1 no matter what. How nifty!

In short, you are the Mafia One-shot Max Cop + Auto Hammer.

You are aligned with the Mafia, and win when the Mafia can achieve parity with the Town, or when nothing can stop this from occurring.

This role was designed for two purposes. One, for early info gathering, and two, for sneak Mislynches early on. It'd be hard to assume anything other than a secret Day-persuasion, with a potential mislynch happening on D1, so things would have confused town extra hard if an early hammer occurred during RVS; A Ninja-Hammerer, if you will. Before town figured things out, this role could theoretically have bought a 2nd lynch even, and with the size of the game, that's not a bad thing. I thought it would've been really powerful in secret, and it would've, too. I'd only specify in the future that it's disabled in *YLO circumstances, which I just kinda forgot to build in until D2 when I noticed it. SF tends to be careless with votes, and this role would capitalize on it. Every. Single. Time.

Shin got stuck with the misfortune of being targetted by the Arsonist, the Sneak, and himself targeting the reflexive Role Cop. Given that the sneak died via kill, it was still difficult for Shin to argue his way out of the onslaught of pressure from two angles, and things just fell apart. Shin gave it a hard fight, claiming Redirected after his role was made public, and even putting up a convincing argument that might've worked if there was no Arson pressure, but it was just too much at once, and the pressure overcame the slot. With Quickhammer Mafia as the previous game, I feel like this game just happened at the wrong time to capitalize on this role existing, as SF was in a stir about throwing votes around. Also, one thing I can't wrap my head around is why you claimed your role instantly, and would like to discuss it with the thread for the benefits/implications of doing so. I never thought you would've claimed, but you doing so made me wonder if the design of Autohammer was just bad, or poorly implemented, or something idk.

[spoiler=Radiant Dragon]Dear USER, you are Yugi Moto.

You're the hero of the show, probably appear bipolar to your friends. I mean, you grow 8 inches taller by screaming your name and glowing yellow. That's not normal, but I'm sure your friends realize that no psychologist alive could diagnose your problems.

During the night, you may respond to your RolePM with:
##Night 1: Pharoah is looking at [uSER]. You will learn the role performed by [uSER], if they have an active role and chose to target anyone. OR ##Night 1: Yugi is looking at [uSER]. You will track [uSER], learning who they visited during the night.

##Night 2: Soul Crush on [uSER]. You will both prevent [uSER] from acting during the night, and protect [uSER] from any action that would harm them during the night. OR ##Night 2: Just guarding [uSER]. You will prevent [uSER] from being targeted during the night by anything that would not harm them.

##Night 3: Let [uSER] hold my Puzzle.. You will allow [uSER] to target two people for their next action. OR ##Night 3: Back to episode 1.. You will learn how many town members were on the lynched player during Day 1.

How confusing!

In short, you are the Mafia Conditional Jack of All Trades (Follower/Tracker + Jail-keeper/Safeguard + Motivator/Conditional Sensor).

You are aligned with the Mafia, and win when the Mafia can achieve parity with the Town, or when nothing can stop this from occuring.

The infamous Jack, with conditions. This role was designed to give mafia flexibility, but not too much flexibility. The N3 roles were there entirely for "godfather" purposes, for the Sneak/Reflexive RoleCop to capitalize on, allowing misleading to occur. The Night 1 was a strong way to lead the game, I think, and the Night 2 was built exclusively to counter the Arsonist, assuming that the prime became public. The safeguard could not be used on Yugi, but could've been used on Rex to create a psuedo-Ninja, if the arson was evidently a nonthreat. Having a structured jack role would help drive you home as the "godfather" as the limits are too hefty to be scum-beneficial.

RD tried hard and looked very town early game, but lost his footing when things just went sour for Shin. The claim of Tracker set up controversial outcomes, and it ended up sealing the deal in the end after Dan's kill. You could've argued that Dan was mafia and you were hooked or something, since Shin had claimed redirected at the time, it might have looked even more believable until he died, (who knows), but you stuck your claim on single-use Jack specific roles, and it bit you in the back because of PoE plus Arson fortune. I think you did very well, misleading SB and Refa for quite some time, Mitsuki too iirc, but the pressure was just too hard to climb out from.

That's postgame.

Town got lucky with Mits' prime and Prims' pressure + fakeclaim, and SB's fakeclaim didn't help mafia either. 2 player scumteams with an extra kill are something I will actively avoid building in my future games, unless I give mafia a serious way to control it. Town played well and the pressure from roles + words caused slips which were just too hard for mafia to recover from. In hindsight, I'd have removed the watcher and limited the Sneak to one-shot, if at all, and buffed mafia with a new N3 jack role, like Hook/Commute, and bumping the N3 stuff to N4, but other than that, I hope you all had fun and hope Kaoz is willing to share his thoughts on the game and its play/turnout.

Edited by Sara.

I think that my role was good as is, now that I know the point of my Sensor; I was sure that either Refa or Mitsuki was an ITP since I couldn't figure out why I would have a Sensor otherwise. Although I don't see how SB would have gotten my role when I used Sensor?

Shin claimed looking for Town cred after Refa's claim. Maybe not the best idea in hindsight but after Quickhammer I don't think the secret Hammerer would have done us much good anyway.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

My play was pretty lazy but at least I made the right choices.

I feel like I shouldn't have subbed in since I realized I didn't want to play like immediately, but I guess it still worked out. Done playing for a while though.

"Mafia was a mistake." - Hayao Miyazaki

RD having more power would be good, and maybe the option to use both roles once (a major factor in his lynch was he didn't have any alibi for N2 and was forced to kill Dan to make one)

Shin possibly should have been not been picked up by the Reflexive Role Cop, but I guess you weren't expecting SB to fakeclaim miller so I think that was less a set-up problem and more of unexpected role shenanigans screwing over mafia.

I wouldn't have claimed the autohammer, in case I got caught using the cop, since it couldn't be traced back to me unless I chose to claim it.

I could have claimed Safeguard instead of Tracker and things probably would have worked out much better. The only reason I didn't was because at the time Town was still planning to have everyone target SB, so we were planning to Safeguard and kill him to prevent a massclear. I backed myself into a corner N2, which wasn't the fault of my role.

my biggest complaints with the set-up were

1) refa should've been able to vote normally as well as omnivote imo, otherwise he's like a nerfed VT with less accountability

2) i would've given the watch to RD and given town a track instead. watcher would've really fucked scum up had it survived past d1 imo. alternately, you could have made it so that the watcher's action would fail if the target died that night, making it only useful for confirming other claims

also the new rule of mafia is that every game with a reflexive rolecop of sorts is going to have a scum counter to it even if the mod didn't put one in on purpose.

remember spellcard?

I could have claimed Safeguard instead of Tracker and things probably would have worked out much better.

The problem with that was town could then control your action.

Mafia shouldn't have to choose between a good fake or being able to counter town roles.