I Hate College

icercube

Title pretty much says it all. Basically, I'm on medicine that completely wipes me out and as such, I haven't been able to do well academically since high school. I've changed my study habits so I study everyday instead of cramming, and generally get around 8-9 hours of sleep. But no matter what I do, I always fail my tests. I went from a 3.7 to a 3.2 this past year. I get tutored and use flash cards that I go over until I know the material. Then I take my medicine, and I completely forget everything. I wanna drop out and take the rest of the year off to work, then probably go to a community college, but I'm afraid of what people will think. My family and close friends are supporting me throughout this, and are actually encouraging me to drop out. Thoughts? Comments? Advice? Memories?

I kinda wish I had more time to make a decision because scheduling and housing is in two weeks, and I'm still unsure if I'm still going to attend this university in the fall.

I mean, a 3.2 isn't a bad gpa at all, it's good, but if you fell like you aren't doing as well as you should academically there is zero shame in taking a break and trying to collect yourself and getting well. It sounds like you have handled the situation as well as you can.

I know exactly how you feel, I got sick at school and was just miserable and tried to tough it out, but I couldn't. I kept it all bottled up and was depressed, it isn't worth trying 'tough it out' just for the sake of toughing it out. I don't know if your problem is chronic, or short term, but if the medicine makes you feel off, try to get off it, talk to your doctor, there are generally different options for different people.

Lastly, don't lose hope, it isn't the end of the world. The fact that you've talked with your family and friends is a sign of maturity.

Edited by Zasplach

it doesn't sound like you hate college, it sounds like you hate taking medication. which is understandable.

esau's right; ask your doctor about alternative medications without those adverse side-effects. a friend of mine is going through the same thing, and for as long as you're on the medication, it likely won't get any better, no matter how much you study and work. based off of her experiences, anyway. also, it might be best to let your profs know of this disability/event going on? 100% of the profs i know would understand that it's a real problem and would be willing to help any way that they could.

if you do dislike college, taking a break isn't a bad idea, though.

Yeah, a 3.2 isn't bad, but it's not going to stay like that at the rate I'm going. Plus I'm in the Honor's Program (even though I'm only taking one honors class, which is weirdly the easiest class I'm taking; I have a high A in there), so if my GPA falls below what I have, they'll kick me out of it.

As for the medicine, it's an anticonvulsant because I have really bad tremors. I'm trying to find a way to get off them though, but if my doctor knew that, she'd flip.

EDIT: Believe me, I'd like to switch meds, but I don't really have a lot of options because...well, how can I put this...some of the other alternative medicines can be life-threatening for me because my body has trouble filtering toxins. I've been on this medicine for years now, so my doctor doesn't really want to risk switching it. And I have registered with disability services and let my teachers know about my condition.

Edited by icercube

So it's chronic, I empathize. The medication just seems like a necessary part of your life, if your physician insists you take it, I wouldn't get off of it without consulting him/her.

I seems like taking a break would be in your best interest; if you're feeling this much stress any condition you possess will be exasperated, a sick mind makes a sick body even sicker.

Maybe in a semester or two after you've made some money or gone to community college you can go back to university, the same place or somewhere else. Being well will make everything easier, school and life in general.

Is it possible to take a lighter course load next semester? Are there any other way to treat the tremors besides medication (TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR)? I know what it's like to be completely out of it when you can't afford to be, and the added stress makes things worse.

I wanna drop out and take the rest of the year off to work, then probably go to a community college, but I'm afraid of what people will think. My family and close friends are supporting me throughout this, and are actually encouraging me to drop out. Thoughts? Comments? Advice? Memories?

I think if you shouldn't be too scared of what people think, plenty of people do things like this and were better off for it.

I have a friend who didn't have something similar but her issue is that if she gets too much stress then she actually gets sick enough that she needs to go to a hospital, in general she's taken a semester off here and there and taken a lighter courseload. I know it's not the same idea, but if it's what's best to keep your health while getting the most out of your schooling then you could think about something like that.

Also, talking to an adviser in your department or something could help.

Yeah, a 3.2 isn't bad, but it's not going to stay like that at the rate I'm going. Plus I'm in the Honor's Program (even though I'm only taking one honors class, which is weirdly the easiest class I'm taking; I have a high A in there), so if my GPA falls below what I have, they'll kick me out of it.

As for the medicine, it's an anticonvulsant because I have really bad tremors. I'm trying to find a way to get off them though, but if my doctor knew that, she'd flip.

EDIT: Believe me, I'd like to switch meds, but I don't really have a lot of options because...well, how can I put this...some of the other alternative medicines can be life-threatening for me because my body has trouble filtering toxins. I've been on this medicine for years now, so my doctor doesn't really want to risk switching it. And I have registered with disability services and let my teachers know about my condition.

Alright, well just take it slow then. No one's going to blame you having lots of difficulty because of your medication and condition. If it's about the program, speak with advisors at the school specifically about your condition and the medication's effects. They just may extend some assistance above and beyond your professors' recognition. No need to despair about it, right?

i'm sorry, but what's the problem again?

I remember when I was in high school, people were basically made fun of - sort of - for going to a community college. It wasn't really direct, but it was more of a passive-aggressive "man, I'm way above that" kind of thing.

My guess is that it's less of a direct thing, and more of a negative stigma.

it doesn't sound like you hate college, it sounds like you hate taking medication. which is understandable.

Precisely my thoughts. It seems like college itself isn't the problem, it's the work load involved. I think the question that needs to be asked is, "Will staying make me happy?", in which case it seems the answer is no. If you have support then take some time out and take it easy. It really won't be beneficial to have a major nervous break down a year from now.

Edited by Jotari

Thanks for the responses, guys. I know I shouldn't care what other people think because it's my life and I do what I want with it, but I've always had that "I have to perform well so people will accept me" mindset.

Is it possible to take a lighter course load next semester? Are there any other way to treat the tremors besides medication (TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR)? I know what it's like to be completely out of it when you can't afford to be, and the added stress makes things worse.

I did talk to my doctor about this, and she tells me "I don't want you to switch your medicine because this one works." And I bring up my problems with school and forgetting things and she says "that's just the medicine. Your body will get used to it." And, define "lighter work load." Last semester I took 18 hours, realized that was too much, so I am taking 13 (12 is the least number of hours where you're considered a full-time student). Most of those hours come from my one math class that I was required to take, which was 5 credit hours.

you want to drop out

you're afraid of what people will think

but people around you support you dropping out

i'm sorry, but what's the problem again?

My family and close friends (I have two) are the ones supporting me. It's mostly my extended family who are extremely judgmental and the people who still see me as "that kid who excelled in school" that I'd rather not find out. One of them even came up to me and said, "I wish my son could be like you. He dropped out of college his first year because he was failing his classes." Well, they don't know that that's the route I'm about to take.

Look I went to community college and while I don't have your health problems, when I started my type one diabetes was really bad so I know how stressful doing school work while having health problems is I would end up going low during tests and get a bad score, but the nice thing about community is the profs make sure to have retakes most of the time and are very willing to work with you. Plus the course work is a bit easier and at least where I live most of the classes count towards a 4 year degree which means that once I decide my major I have all my prerec classes out of the way. My advice is to drop out for now and focus on getting healthy and then see what the community college has to say. The one I went to had a testing center where you could retake a test at a time that worked for you and maybe that would work for you so you could take the test when the effects of your meds are less then other times of the day.

It sounds to me that your biggest problem right now is the medication and your general health. That is the thing that is kinda the obstacle for you right now and its preventing you from doing well. You mentioned that you had a 3.7 before to a 3.2 (Still not bad) so you're capable of doing the work. I also think you mentioned something about being a freshman right? Hey don't get discouraged college is different from high school namely the first few classes you take may be harder than the ones in high school where sometimes you just show up and get an A. Namely core curriculum courses like Calculus can be tricky and Chemistry can be hard for some.

That all sounds bad but overall I think you have quite a bit of good things going for you.

GPA is still strong.

You know that you have the support of your immediate family which is critical and I can't emphasize that enough.

You're doing well despite your health problems (think about that for a moment)

I would at least encourage you to get to the end of the semester if nothing else just to get some classes and credits in the book (and avoid paying more for college by having a semester down) and then take time off from school to get healthy. I know your doc won't switch the medication but have you maybe talked about taking a lower doseage? That could help considerably and might help lessen the negative side effects.

I hope it all works out for you man stay strong and keep fighting the good fight. Things can always change and get better.

I'm going through a similar situation right now. I'm in my freshman spring semester, and I'm taking academic leave starting tomorrow because I cannot for the life of me focus on anything or even bring myself to care that my grades are tanking. Mentally dead. You're in a much better state GPA-wise (I got a 1.5 in the fall) than I am, and honestly I think dropping out is a bad idea. Take a semester or a year off, try to work out your issues, then come back when you feel ready. It seems like the real problem is your medicine, so talking with your doctor seems like a good starting point. Personally I'm going to try regaining my motivation by working on a fanfiction I've got in the initial stages of development.

I feel your pain about trying to live up to the "smart kid" reputation. To be honest, if your family and close friends are supporting you then everyone else is irrelevant. Ask yourself if you really care what they think.

Good luck with your life.

I did talk to my doctor about this, and she tells me "I don't want you to switch your medicine because this one works." And I bring up my problems with school and forgetting things and she says "that's just the medicine. Your body will get used to it." And, define "lighter work load." Last semester I took 18 hours, realized that was too much, so I am taking 13 (12 is the least number of hours where you're considered a full-time student). Most of those hours come from my one math class that I was required to take, which was 5 credit hours.

There's a distinct difference between "switching medication" and "alternative to medication". For example, I could take a prescribed medicine for my bouts of depression. . .or I can closely monitor what I eat, since a depressive spell is a precursor to Pandora's Box of clipsey-hell (and as long as I stick to what I know is safe, I'm in a decent place, mentally). Since I have no idea what your medical history is, or what's causing those tremors, that's something your doctor must answer.

As for your course load, would it be possible to continue part-time? It may take longer, but I think you'll need to find a happy medium between your health, your meds, and whatever real-life obligations throw at you. I'm in a similar impasse, but I'm in the work force.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses guys! They're very encouraging.

Don't they allow you to stop the course and come back to it later? We have this in my country.

They always allow you to drop the class if you're not doing well in it. They have a deadline for that though.

There's a distinct difference between "switching medication" and "alternative to medication". For example, I could take a prescribed medicine for my bouts of depression. . .or I can closely monitor what I eat, since a depressive spell is a precursor to Pandora's Box of clipsey-hell (and as long as I stick to what I know is safe, I'm in a decent place, mentally). Since I have no idea what your medical history is, or what's causing those tremors, that's something your doctor must answer.

As for your course load, would it be possible to continue part-time? It may take longer, but I think you'll need to find a happy medium between your health, your meds, and whatever real-life obligations throw at you. I'm in a similar impasse, but I'm in the work force.

Good luck!

I've been looking at special diets that I could follow so that my brain stays clear. I've started taking herbs to see if that will have an effect on my brain so I can take less medicine. Also, there may be a slight chance that I have a cognitive deficit from the tremors. They think it's neurological, but I don't know yet. I'm going back for more testing in the future.

I've considered part-time as well, because the hours are pretty demanding. Problem is, I'll lose my scholarships and TOPS if I'm not full-time, and right now I can't afford to pay for them. I also live in a dorm because my home is an hour away. That's why I thought about taking the year off to work and get better before going back to school.

I've been looking at special diets that I could follow so that my brain stays clear. I've started taking herbs to see if that will have an effect on my brain so I can take less medicine. Also, there may be a slight chance that I have a cognitive deficit from the tremors. They think it's neurological, but I don't know yet. I'm going back for more testing in the future.

I've considered part-time as well, because the hours are pretty demanding. Problem is, I'll lose my scholarships and TOPS if I'm not full-time, and right now I can't afford to pay for them. I also live in a dorm because my home is an hour away. That's why I thought about taking the year off to work and get better before going back to school.

WRT herbs: I suggest getting the advice of someone who knows them inside and out, and keep your regular doctor informed about what you're taking. If it's neurological, see if a neurologist can help you with that. I wish you the best of luck!

WRT college time: Ouch. My college was set up such that most classes were 3-4 credits, so making 12 wasn't that hard. Would it be possible to do something like two serious classes/one elective/make up stuff over the summer? You'll just have to trust me when I tell you that trying to work around a debilitating health issue won't make things better - I'm dealing with that now.

Well damn, and I thought I had study issues. To be blunt it's pretty much not fair. Studying so much but not retaining things because of medicine. That sucks.

Try something like Gensing. It's supposed to be good for both short-and-long-term memory, but I guess you'd have to clear that with your doctors first.

Speaking of I should take some gensing myself.

WRT college time: Ouch. My college was set up such that most classes were 3-4 credits, so making 12 wasn't that hard. Would it be possible to do something like two serious classes/one elective/make up stuff over the summer? You'll just have to trust me when I tell you that trying to work around a debilitating health issue won't make things better - I'm dealing with that now.

Yeah. I kinda screwed myself over for scheduling because I ended up taking hard classes that add up to 13 hours. And I can't drop them because I'll fall below the limit (my Calclulus class, which is the subject I'm struggling most in, makes up 5 of those 13 hours). I'm going to be balancing out my serious classes with electives next semester because I actually want to enjoy college for once :/ can't do summer classes because those are more expensive and my TOPS and scholarships won't cover them.

Well damn, and I thought I had study issues. To be blunt it's pretty much not fair. Studying so much but not retaining things because of medicine. That sucks.

Try something like Gensing. It's supposed to be good for both short-and-long-term memory, but I guess you'd have to clear that with your doctors first.

Speaking of I should take some gensing myself.

I'm seeing a doctor who specializes with brain disorders sometime this year, so I'll see how that goes. I could probably start taking ginseng now, but I'll still have to take my medicine, so I'm not sure how that will affect it.

They always allow you to drop the class if you're not doing well in it. They have a deadline for that though.

If you don't have incompletes in your school, then sorry to push this, but if you haven't, you should ask someone in guidance or some other administrative position if you're able to take an incomplete. My junior year second semester ended about 2 weeks early due to a health-related problem, and since I was in the hospital and then home my college allowed me to take my finals in the fall and submit my final papers over the summer.