People shouldn't put apostrophes in the past tense of verbs.

Parrhesia

I hadn't realiz'd what you were talking about until I look'd it up

I hadn't comprehend'd the issue before I did so you probably should have provid'd an example

Examples would be nice.

EDIT: Is that^ really a thing people do?

shakespeare and other archaic writings I guess

I don't think I've seen it in any other context

tbh it took a while to muck around with my sentences to the point where the verbs were ones that were possible to attach apastrophes to

actually this comment on stack exchange gives some pretty okay insight

FUN TRIVIA: Shakespeare often used d because in his time ed was pronounced as an extra syllable unless clipped by an apostrophe: wrongd would be one syllable, while wronged would be two. Now that we no longer pronounce most ed endings, the apostrophe isnt necessary. For some reason convention stuck with the apostrophe replacement in possessive endings ( -es ) but not past tense ( -ed ). realgrammar.wordpress.com/apostrophes

Christ, I'm not talking about shakespeare, I'm talking about I literally saw someone say 'Blitzkrieg'ed' in another thread

It's like nerds use proper nouns and then the hyphen and then either ed or d, when, y'know, -ed works

'd is for, as above, an actual distinction that isn't used in common fucking English anymore

Man, I know Shakespeare. That was a low blow to suggest I didn't. It's like the one thing I've ever done in my life I was proud of.

Man, I know Shakespeare. That was a low blow to suggest I didn't. It's like the one thing I've ever done in my life I was proud of.

Dang, really? I know Shakespeare (had to take an entire damn class), but I'm sooner to wish I didn't.

The only times I can recall ever seeing someone use apostrophes in past tense verbs (and in modern day) is intentionally, either as a joke or for some kind of personal style. Like:

second'd

Christ, I'm not talking about shakespeare, I'm talking about I literally saw someone say 'Blitzkrieg'ed' in another thread

It's like nerds use proper nouns and then the hyphen and then either ed or d, when, y'know, -ed works

'd is for, as above, an actual distinction that isn't used in common fucking English anymore

I don't think I suggested that you didn't?

all I meant to say was that shakespeare was the only context I actually see it

sorry if it came off that way ._.

wait wait hold on

I occasionally say it if it's some sort of awkward acronym verb or something that can't really be -ed'd well

(that's an example, right there, when I verbed -ed)

also holy shit "Blitzkrieg'ed" they're not even doing it right

e: like they're not even wrong

they're even wrong about being wrong

Edited by Euklyd

I am behin'd you all the way. People shoul'd learn h'ow to' us'e apostro'phe''''''''''s'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' properly.

'

can we please talk about every day vs. everyday tho

I can't really say I know the difference off the top of my head

I might have an intuitive understanding and just get it right when actually writing things but idk

luckily my computer's dictionary/etc. has the answer

usage: The adjective everyday, meaning happening or used every day or commonplace ("everyday activities"), is written as one word, whereas the adverb meaning each day, daily ("I get up at six every day") is written as two.

tbf people shouldn't feel bad if they didn't know I was involved in a production of Two Gentlemen of Verona since it's

not exactly

my defining characteristic

but yeah, I did.

tbf people shouldn't feel bad if they didn't know I was involved in a production of Two Gentlemen of Verona since it's

not exactly

my defining characteristic

but yeah, I did.

I mean I didn't know that specifically but it's not exactly a big secret that you're a theatre person

I don't think anyone is feeling bad about not knowing that?