Who is your least favorite character in the Tellius games?

the "way around it" was only doable beacuse of the medallion invoking itself. <_<

yeah but it's fair to criticise RD for having a shitty plot full of plot contrivances to force scenarios like that.

The war is not justified. The death of a messenger is highly regrettable but how many civilians of begnion do you think either got forcibly conscripted, had their homes upturned, or were cut down by stupid hothead Laguz like Skrimir? Not forgetting that most Laguz still don't like Beorc anyway so such actions aren't unlikely at all. Ike doesn't have to show he cares constantly, but he has to at least do SOMETHING or let his actions speak louder than his words, which they do not in Radiant Dawn. Most inference about Ike's character in Radiant Dawn has to be taken from Path of Radiance, and he doesn't behave anywhere near to the same way he does in Path of Radiance so this kind of inferrence is sketchy at best.

The first time they fight he does nothing of the sort. Plus, check out his dialogue with Sothe.

Sothe: Commander Ike!

Ike: Look at you, Sothe. You’ve grown a lot. I almost forgot… You’re originally from Daein.

Sothe: I’m glad you remembered. I hope it helps explain why I’m here.

Ike: Did you find the person you were looking for?

Sothe: Yes. She commands this army.

Ike: The Maiden of Dawn?

Sothe: Please don’t call her by that ridiculous name. Her name is Micaiah.

Ike: I see.

Sothe: Commander, I… I didn’t want to see you like this.

Ike: But you don’t intend to retreat, do you?

Sothe: That’s right.

Ike: Sothe, before you challenge me, you better be ready never to see that girl again. Can you handle that?

Sothe: Wh-what?!

Ike: If you can’t, stay away from me. You’ll get no mercy, despite our past. I’m sorry, Sothe, but the choices we’ve both made have brought us to this. There’s no turning back now.

Sothe: I understand, Commander. And to answer your question… Yes, sir, I can handle that. Whenever you’re ready, Commander.

This happens the first time Ike personally fights Daein.

For the last time, it's not that the request itself indicates not caring, it's the manner he delivers it. It's something he just accepts. Also you'll have to remind me where FE10 Ike shows distaste towards the term "branded" because I don't remember that being in the script.

Actually he just fights and seems to go along with what people want him to do. There's no conviction or passion ever expressed anywhere. FE9 Ike fought for his friends and family, FE10 Ike just fights.

Hold on now, Irysa. I'm not excusing RD's plot.

The way Ike sees it, the war is justified. Their beef is with the senators only. Anything Begnion did with its citizens during the war is not told to us, nor is it really Ike's concern. Ike didn't have to care how Crimea's war affected Daein citizens. Also, the laguz hate cowardly tactics. They wouldn't attack unarmed beorc, they have too much pride. It's funny that you would mention Skrimir by name because he's literally the guy that tells us this. See 3-10

Tibarn: ...Ha... Hahahahaha! [turns back to the laguz army] Ike, I thought you

were the craziest beorc I'd ever met, but you have some serious

competition! Crimea's queen is one tough woman... Your Majesty, I like your

style! Skrimir! I can't let such a pretty woman down. Let's get out of

here.

Skrimir: Of course. The beast tribe will not use our claws against unarmed

beorc. Soldiers, back to the forest!

Skrimir may be a hot blooded moron (he grew out of that anyway, see his generic support convos), but he's not an indiscriminate savage. Ike spoke with actions by joining the laguz alliance. Throughout all of part 3, I'm pretty sure they only attacked military strongholds in Begnion as opposed to literally occupying it the way Daein did to Crimea (for fuck's sake Ashnard stayed in the Crimean castle) or the way Begnion did to Daein. Any inference we need to make about Ike's character was 100% provided to use via the narrative.

When Ike talked to Sothe, there was literally an "I'm sorry" in there. The latter half of part 3 was Ike trying to reason with Daein since Mic was clearly outmatched but blood pact forced Mic to keep fighting which then had Ike keep retaliating. It's not like he was just gonna let them beat him. He wasn't doing it for fun.

The thing is we don't know how Ike told the soldiers to leave if they didn't want to work with laguz. We just know that he did. He expressed it in a not-give-a-fuck attitude because it was Ranulf he was talking to. Ranulf is like his most bro-est bro.

Ike expresses his distaste of the term branded in a 4-E-3 base convo with Mic.

Micaiah: Yes. He and I are both Branded.

Ike: ...Don't use that word. You and Soren are both people. Just like me and

everyone else.

Micaiah: People. You're just like Yune. You call both laguz and beorcs

"people."

Ike: Why should I care about the color of your hair, eyes, and skin? Or

your ears, wings, or tail? No matter how long you live or what powers you

possess, we're the same. At the end of the day, we're all people.

Dude, if that's not PoR Ike then I don't know what is.

Wrt to his beliefs. Ike isn't just fighting to go with the flow. Once again he makes it very clear that he's fighting for his friends. Ranulf says "Ike we need your help these Begnion senators are assholes" and Ike says "aight bro I got you". Ike's entire reason for joining the war was based on his decision to help his friends, people he considered family (hey there's that word again), out of a bind.

Ranulf: Yeah. That thickheaded fool... This'll be his first major battle.

Hopefully, he won't get his teeth kicked out. How about you, Ike? Are you

sure about this?

Ike: Sure about what?

Ranulf: Well, you know.. You're beorc. I'm laguz. You sure you want to take our

side?

Ike: The Laguz Alliance is in the right, Ranulf. The senate is actively

ignoring you, and worse, they're murdering your messengers. Why shouldn't

we help you get the senate's attention? I'm sure my people understand.

Besides, I would never abandon a friend in need.

Ranulf: Thanks, Ike.

What more is there that we need to know?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is what I was trying to mention above. But Micaiah being her ignorant, selfish self doesn't want to even consider that there might be another way to solve things without triggering the pact's effects. So Ike has no choice but to continue fighting, otherwise he'd effectively be surrendering and everybody in his group would die!

Did you even pay attention to what was going on? Micaiah pretty much had her hands tied with the whole blood pact thing and couldn't do anything about it. You seriously think she wanted all that crap to happen? Heck, it's not just her, at one point Ike asks Tauroneo what's going on and even he can't give Ike an answer. What would you suggest Micaiah should have done?

I find it baffling that people shit on Micaiah over this, when nothing in Part 3 was her fault. Everything happened because Pelleas literally didn't read the fine print.

Uh, how did this turn from a 'who is your least favorite character' thread to an arguement regarding FE10 Ike?

It's the Curse of Ike. That's why he left; people kept getting into arguments about him.

The way Ike sees it, the war is justified. Their beef is with the senators only. Anything Begnion did with its citizens during the war is not told to us, nor is it really Ike's concern. Ike didn't have to care how Crimea's war affected Daein citizens.

Yeah except they're not fighting the Senators for the entire of Part 3, they're fighting lackeys. If you think he doesn't know or care about random citizens then you're wildly mistaken.

[spoiler=Chapter 21 base conversation]

Jill

Um, General? Thank you.

Ike

Hm?

Jill

The people of Talrega were the enemy,

yet you treated them with kindness.

I don't know how to thank you.

Ike

Oh, the provisions? It wasn't enough,

but I wanted to do whatever I could.

It's nothing for you to worry about, though.

Jill

General Ike...

Unknown

My, my lady! Is that you? Lady Fizzart?

Jill

Huh?

Woman

Oh, it is you! Lord Shiharam's lovely daughter! Thank heavens you're still alive!

Jill

You're...from Talrega.

Woman

That's right. I'm Sophie, from the village of Luma! I can't live there anymore, so I brought my two sisters here to the capital. After that battle, I was sure that you'd been claimed by the Dark Angel, just like Lord Shiharam. But here you are!

Jill

Ike

Jill

Is this your bodyguard? Ooo, so strong! You watch out for milady, you hear? She's Lord Shiharam's precious little girl! You keep an eye on her, and don't let those nasty Crimeans get near her!

Ike

Um...

Jill

Actually... We're...

Woman

Please listen to me, milady! We understand all about those floodgates! Lord Shiharam would've never done such a thing if he had any other choice! We know it was those Crimeans that did it! Why, when he wasn't on duty, Lord Shiharam and his men used to help us with the plowing and the planting. And once when my sister got sick, he loaded her up onto his own wyvern and brought her to the capital to see a doctor. He's the only one who ever cared about us country folk. He opened his heart to each and every one of us.

Jill

He... He was a good man...

Woman

Those dirty Crimeans are to blame! If they'd never come to Daein, that battle wouldn't have happened. And Lord Shiharam would still be with us.

Girl

Sister... I'm hungry...

Woman

You're going to be all right. I'll find you something to eat in a little while. Just be patient.

Girl

That soldier over there gave me this. Can I eat it?

Woman

Don't be stupid! Throw that away right now! We'll starve to death before we take charity from Crimean killers!

Girl

Waaaaaa...Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

Woman

Milady! The Crimean army is nearby! Run! You must escape and survive. We're gonna live. Even if we have to eat mud and weeds, we'll do it. And one day we'll have our revenge on those bloodthirsty Crimeans. If I can't do it, my children will...And if they can't, then my grandchildren will! We'll get them someday! I swear it! I have to go. Promise me, milady. You must go on for Lord Shiharam's sake. You mustn't get yourself killed!

Jill

Um...

Ike

Jill

...S-sorry....Oh, I'm so sorry...

Ike

Don't be...

Also, the laguz hate cowardly tactics. They wouldn't attack unarmed beorc, they have too much pride. It's funny that you would mention Skrimir by name because he's literally the guy that tells us this. See 3-10.

Skrimir may be a hot blooded moron (he grew out of that anyway, see his generic support convos), but he's not an indiscriminate savage.

What constitutes "unarmed?" Does a farmer taking up a pitchfork in fear of a lion that looks like it's about to run him down count? Did you forget that there were still civilians in the houses in 3-1 as they were storming through? What about conscripts? There were many options other than War in this scenario and the Laguz took them up on it, despite them being fully aware of the implications of a war on the medallion (but it's okay, we have a plot contrivance so we can do this anyway!). Let's think about this for a minute, would they have allowed the war to go ahead if they DIDN'T have such a plot contrivance for soothing the medallion? Do you think they're stupid enough to put the risk of releasing a Dark God out in retalation to the senators? I don't think so.

Ike spoke with actions by joining the laguz alliance. Throughout all of part 3, I'm pretty sure they only attacked military strongholds in Begnion as opposed to literally occupying it the way Daein did to Crimea (for fuck's sake Ashnard stayed in the Crimean castle) or the way Begnion did to Daein. Any inference we need to make about Ike's character was 100% provided to use via the narrative.

You misread what I said. I'm saying his actions don't represent his previous ideals in any manifestation whatsoever, nor does what he says. And again, Part 3, there are civilians in the middle of 3-1...and you actually DO need to occupy territory you capture in order to form a supply chain so that the invading army can be continously maintained through food and such. I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure Begnion employs scorched earth tactics so they'd have to be have been doing this. The narrative directly contradicts what Ike does and what he says, so whilst I can't ignore it, you can't exclusively rely on it.

When Ike talked to Sothe, there was literally an "I'm sorry" in there.

Try reading all the rest of the conversations that go on on that map that aren't to do with Ike. Ike is the only one who seems pretty much unfazed about fighting his former allies wheras everyone else is clearly torn about it.

The latter half of part 3 was Ike trying to reason with Daein since Mic was clearly outmatched but blood pact forced Mic to keep fighting which then had Ike keep retaliating. It's not like he was just gonna let them beat him. He wasn't doing it for fun.

Alternatively they could just not bother attacking Daein? As far as I remember, this is never properly expanded on. Daein's offensive is a complete joke for the most part and they are so horribly outmatched that Mic has to resort to drastic strategies for defence. Daein was attacking Crimea to cause issues but given Daein's shitty military situation there's no reason they simply couldn't have been held off instead of marching on another offensive into enemy territory, and attacking the people that you claim Ike actually wants to get at, in the Senators.

The thing is we don't know how Ike told the soldiers to leave if they didn't want to work with laguz. We just know that he did. He expressed it in a not-give-a-fuck attitude because it was Ranulf he was talking to. Ranulf is like his most bro-est bro.

This is actually a good point, so I'd back down from the Laguz intolerance stuff. But it doesn't change how little concern he expresses whatsoever over the war, and in fact makes it worse in that if he's talking with Ranulf, who IS someone he trusts a lot and seems to generally be against the war anyway, why does this not come up?

Ike expresses his distaste of the term branded in a 4-E-3 base convo with Mic.

Fair enough. Too bad I can't say the same of the rest of his outlooks.

Wrt to his beliefs. Ike isn't just fighting to go with the flow. Once again he makes it very clear that he's fighting for his friends. Ranulf says "Ike we need your help these Begnion senators are assholes" and Ike says "aight bro I got you". Ike's entire reason for joining the war was based on his decision to help his friends, people he considered family (hey there's that word again), out of a bind.

The point isn't that Ike shouldn't be inclined to help Ranulf, it's that he shouldn't be inclined to go "yeah it's a job so don't worry about it" and not apparently care about any of the real consequences of what's going to occur as a result. Between the Medallion, impacts of war, the fact he has friends in Begnion and the like, it's all extremely out of character for him to just side up and condone a completely avoidable war.

FWIW I think it's extremely irresponsible and stupid for Ike to randomly dissapear in the ending as well.

Edited by Irysa

It's the Curse of Ike. That's why he left; people kept getting into arguments about him.

people complain about ike leaving is out of character, but he's completely in the right too on a game and on a meta level on the fanbase.

Tellius can't screw a lightbulb without needing Ike's help.

Don't act surprised, OP of the "Ike's wife" thread.

oh shit it is the same person.

Simply put, this thread went to what it is now because a few people expressed hating RD Ike because he "stole Micaiah's spotlight" and stuff and then debating started.

It's continued so much now that I don't know where to begin replying anymore though. Geez. xP

Y'know, I've been following this thread for a bit and I got curious about how this new Ike argument got started. So I went back through, and it doesn't seem like anyone was arguing until this post

Ugh, I should've expected people to come in here and throw around the "Ike steals Micaiah's spotlight!" card. If anything, Yune stole Micaiah's spotlight, not Ike. I don't like that Micaiah became completely irrelevant at Part 4, it's part of what left her a bland and poorly written character. Yune possessing her the entire time was just dumb.

If you don't like Ike's personality or design or whatever, fine. I'm not taking any issue with that. But the whole spotlight thing is just stupid to me. By that logic, you might as well say Eliwood and Hector stole Lyn's spotlight in FE7. But I don't see anyone saying that.

Besides, IS wanted Ike to be the more prominent protagonist in RD, so what?

Huh, imagine that.

And of course someone has to place the blame entirely on me, as usual. I'm not saying I didn't have a hand in this, but seriously, I wasn't the only one involved here.

You still singled out only my post though, which was why I said what I said. But sorry for the confusion. Heh, "chickadee." That made me chuckle. XD

Hey, maybe there should be a "which Tellius characters did you like the most?" thread to go with this one.

And then all of Tellius got into wars about his reputation and which character he ended up with causing Asheruna to get pissed and flush the continent down the toilet anyway.

Yeah, have Micaiah attack Ike with Purge, and it will trigger a battle convo where he tries to reason with her.

God, the Blood Pact was such an awful plot device. I wish they came up with a more clever way to have the teams on opposing sides. I've been playing Final Fantasy Tactics, and they just do it so much better.

It really isnt that bad. The bad part is how its written. That device can work just fine. They just didnt give enough exposition in the right moments, and gave too many characters the Idiot Ball in regards to it. Naesala's plot as a stand-alone, is actually quite solid since it was hinted at (very strongly) in the first game. How RD went about it is simply lack of communication between characters. Personally, i found how the BK was revealed to be a thousand times worse. I mean...fuck. What. A. Goddamn. Letdown. Instead of something Ike finds out, or someone else who's POV we see, its just Ranulf going "yeah ok hes BK." and im like:

tumblr_ndg54xiS041ra8x1ao8_500.gif

Fuggin' really? Blood pact be damned, its the BK Reveal that is the legit Worst

Don't act surprised, OP of the "Ike's wife" thread.

You aint helpin' none, Sputnik.

Well, apparently I have weird tastes or something, because Ike is my second favorite character in the franchise, and Mia and Illyana are characters I enjoy. On topic however, my least favorite Tellius character has got to be Largo, and I can't even say why because he serves basically no role in POR(where he's actually playable) and less of a role in RD(where even IS didn't care about him enough to make him playable again). Micaiah is a close second only because I wanted to like her going in to RD, but all she did was make me miss Ike extensivly.

with that said the only other real time that could be reveiled is in the final battle between the two, which makes more sense.

tho ranulf isn't really wrong "hey i got my ass kicked by these two dudes with the same fighting style"

Yeah well, it would have been pretty cool. Zelgius be all "Bam. Im BK." And Ike be all "But you were a brah! What the hell, man? Why you smush my dad and junk?"

Ranulf knowing makes perfect sense. Ranulf spilling the beans when he did just felt hella cheap.

Yeah well, it would have been pretty cool. Zelgius be all "Bam. Im BK." And Ike be all "But you were a brah! What the hell, man? Why you smush my dad and junk?"

Ranulf knowing makes perfect sense. Ranulf spilling the beans when he did just felt hella cheap.

yeah i would've preferred it happening in their final battle, but it could've been far worse.

not really a point to its positive or negative traits, but a kinda "meh its alright" neutral point.

Welp, time to ban Ike.

Ugh, this is just not a good topic in general. These kinds always turn bad. I want to try to shift the conversation, but "talk about someone else people can hate" isn't really my thing.

I like Ike, but too much of anything wears on you and I'm getting really damn sick of him lately.

FE10 Ike had less potential as a character than a rock beside some road.

Micaiah had a lot of potential then Ike just kinda swooped in with maximum blandness and halted that in its tracks.

Shitlord just steals spotlight from the REAL main character and it sickens me.

FE10 Ike had less potential as a character than a rock beside some road.

Micaiah had a lot of potential then Ike just kinda swooped in with maximum blandness and halted that in its tracks.

Shitlord just steals spotlight from the REAL main character and it sickens me.

Honestly,Ike didn't steal the spotlight from Miccy, Yune did, Part 3 is supposed to be Ike's tale in RD, just like how Elincia and Micaiah had already had their own tales. Ike does steal the spotlight a bit in Part 4, but not from Miccy seeing as Yune was too busy doing that. Heck, the only thing in RD I don't agree with is forceing Ike to deliver the final blow. That should have been Miccy's strike, I concede that. Calling him a shitlord is uncalled for however, you don't see me calling the Lord characters I don't like(Sigurd and Leif) shitlords. I like Ike, however I can see why people don't like him, but I don't get the spotlight stealing claims.