Who is your least favorite character in the Tellius games?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. FE10 Astrid

She's dumb and naive. Falls in love with an irresponsible idiot. And she's one of the worst units in FE10. Free pargon is nice, but her growths suck!

4. Makalov

I have to admit his conversations with Marcia are the best in the entire FE series! Though his personality is just bad. Doesn't get a grip on his gambling addiction. Causes his sister only trouble.

3. Ilyana

Almost each line of her deals with hunger and food. And her FE9 outfit is just fanservice for me. The only good point of her is that she's the only rexbolt user in FE10.

2. FE10 Sothe

Micky's ultimate bodyguard. Each second line deas with Micaiah, Micaiah... . In FE10 he's only a non mounted Jagen. Great for LTC runs in part 1, but becomes useless in part 4 and endgame thanks to his bad growths (especially speed and defense).

1. FE10 Ike

I liked Ike's personality in FE9, but in FE10 he became to a dumb beefcake. In 4-4 Tormod put it in a nutshell.

When I played FE10 for the first time, I admired Ike. So cool and so strong! Though the simple reason was that I was blinded by his great perfomance in SSBB.

Though I have changed my opinion complety!

He has pretty much no character development and is overrated unitwise till he gets his Ragnell.

The worst part: He steals the true character Micaiah the spotlight.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Ugh, I should've expected people to come in here and throw around the "Ike steals Micaiah's spotlight!" card. If anything, Yune stole Micaiah's spotlight, not Ike. I don't like that Micaiah became completely irrelevant at Part 4, it's part of what left her a bland and poorly written character. Yune possessing her the entire time was just dumb.

If you don't like Ike's personality or design or whatever, fine. I'm not taking any issue with that. But the whole spotlight thing is just stupid to me. By that logic, you might as well say Eliwood and Hector stole Lyn's spotlight in FE7. But I don't see anyone saying that.

Besides, IS wanted Ike to be the more prominent protagonist in RD, so what?

FE10 Ike. I mean I don't hate him, but he's such a boring character that the fact I have to sit with him the whole game gets awfully tiring. Sothe may be annoying, Pelleas may be a pansy, Naesala can be a dick, but at least they're INTERESTING. Other supporting characters have never affected me to the point of disliking them because I can have those characters sit out of the game to the point I don't care, so I can't hate them.

Ike is a main character, so the fact that he's so boring REALLY hurts the character. Every other "plot armor" character feels like they either make things happen, or are interesting enough for me to care. FE10 Ike does neither of those things.

Ya know, I don't think I really dislike anyone in Tellius (except some of the villains, but in ways I'm supposed to dislike them, which in a way makes me like them. Does that make sense?). Maybe that's part of why I love RD so much. Sure, many characters could have been done better, and I also disliked how Ike completely stole the spotlight in RD, but I can't really bring myself to dislike him or anyone else for these things. I think the worst feeling I have toward any character is neutral.

I'm just generally not a hateful person, anyway. Life is better that way, I think.

Some didn't. Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Ugh, I should've expected people to come in here and throw around the "Ike steals Micaiah's spotlight!" card. If anything, Yune stole Micaiah's spotlight, not Ike. I don't like that Micaiah became completely irrelevant at Part 4, it's part of what left her a bland and poorly written character. Yune possessing her the entire time was just dumb.

If you don't like Ike's personality or design or whatever, fine. I'm not taking any issue with that. But the whole spotlight thing is just stupid to me. By that logic, you might as well say Eliwood and Hector stole Lyn's spotlight in FE7. But I don't see anyone saying that.

Ummm he really does rip out her spotlight and keeps it. Its actually A Thing, and a very annoying one for those of us who rooted for a female protagonist. Unlike Lyn, Micaiah remains plot relevant throughout the entire game. Lyn takes back burner a lot. And yeah, its annoying that she doesnt get to be more in the forefront. But Lyn is actually written to parrot a bunch of crap and ask exposition questions. Micaiah is not written like that. Shes written to be extremely important and stay important. Ike really takes a lot away from Micaiah, and its part of the reason she falls flat. Micaiah had potential to be a really amazing character. Its ruined by her being completely hijacked.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

By that logic, you might as well say Eliwood and Hector stole Lyn's spotlight in FE7. But I don't see anyone saying that.

EXTREMELY unfair comparison. Eliwood and Hector never hijack Lyn's spotlight, because by the time they arrive, Lyn's story is effectively over. This is clearly stated in the way the parts and chapters are laid out in FE7. Heck, Lyn could have been taken out from Eliwood/Hector's stories completely and outside of rewriting a few parts, it wouldn't have mattered much in the long run. She's not even force-deployed in most maps.

1. FE10 Ike

I liked Ike's personality in FE9, but in FE10 he became to a dumb beefcake. In 4-4 Tormod put it in a nutshell.

Wait what changed in Ike's personality in FE10? I get that people think he's bland because his journey of a hero arc was done in Path of Radiance, and he doesn't have further character development in FE10 but he didn't change personalities (or intelligence) between the games. "Dumb beefcake" describes Boyd pretty well though.

In general, Radiant Dawn's story is such an epic disaster (great ideas, bad execution) and it's generally agreed that the character development is poorly done compared to PoR or even other previous games, that to me most characters fall into the pit of being too bland. Micaiah included.

There are a few characters who are done pretty well though. Elincia probably had the best arc because of Part 2. Skrimir comes to mind in Part 3. And Haar; the guy isn't even a central character in the game, but his boss convos, and his dialogue scenes with Elincia and Ike reveal a lot about him.

Edited by Radiant head

Some didn't.

Your point is? IS can't please everyone, you know.

Ummm he really does rip out her spotlight and keeps it. Its actually A Thing, and a very annoying one for those of us who rooted for a female protagonist. Unlike Lyn, Micaiah remains plot relevant throughout the entire game. Lyn takes back burner a lot. And yeah, its annoying that she doesnt get to be more in the forefront. But Lyn is actually written to parrot a bunch of crap and ask exposition questions. Micaiah is not written like that. Shes written to be extremely important and stay important. Ike really takes a lot away from Micaiah, and its part of the reason she falls flat. Micaiah had potential to be a really amazing character. Its ruined by her being completely hijacked.

He doesn't, though. Yune does, like I said. SHE is the one that literally takes over for Micaiah. Ike just goes along with the ride the whole game. When Ranulf meets with him: "Sure, I'll help you out." When Sanaki tells him to command all the armies: "Alright, fine. Ugh, not again..." And then Yune takes over Micaiah's body and gives Ike further instructions. Ike basically just does what he's told (so ironic...). I honestly wish he'd have been handled better than that in RD, as much as I loved his battle animations, his design, and some of his lines.

And Micaiah was a poorly written character even before Ike showed up. I don't think she had much potential at all, really. She'd have needed a complete overhaul to be any good of a character.

Look, I want a female protagonist that doesn't get overshadowed too. I CREATED one, for gods's sake. But honestly, the females IS has come up with have all been pretty bland, imo. I'm glad none of them got that much spotlight. I only want a female protagonist that keeps her spotlight the whole time if she isn't boring and bland.

EXTREMELY unfair comparison. Eliwood and Hector never hijack Lyn's spotlight, because by the time they arrive, Lyn's story is effectively over. This is clearly stated in the way the parts and chapters are laid out in FE7. Heck, Lyn could have been taken out from Eliwood/Hector's stories completely and outside of rewriting a few parts, it wouldn't have mattered much in the long run. She's not even force-deployed in most maps.

Lyn is made out to be an important character too. She's Lord Hausen's granddaughter, the only person that can wield the Mani Katti, the one everyone hopes to stop Lundgren from taking over Caelin, and heir to Caelin. Then come Eliwood's story, she's barely relevant at all.

Your point is? IS can't please everyone, you know.

People have a problem with how Ike took the spotlight from under Micaiah's feet. Why does it matter what IS "wanted?" Are we supposed to just say, "Well, IS wanted Ike to take the spotlight, so all is forgiven"?

That is the point.

No, because I still do not think he took anyone's spotlight.

Okay. Others do. Are you trying to understand why or trying to convince others they're wrong? Take this seriously; one of those options won't end well.

I WAS trying to, but it seems that we just won't agree.

But I will still never understand why Ike is always the one accused of doing the spotlight-stealing when it's literally Yune who takes Micaiah's body and speaks for her. She's even just a vessel for Yune in the final cutscene! Yune, even if she's cute as hell, is the spotlight hog to me.

Edited by Anacybele

I WAS trying to, but it seems that we just won't agree.

But I will still never understand why Ike is always the one accused of doing the spotlight-stealing when it's literally Yune who takes Micaiah's body and speaks for her. She's even just a vessel for Yune in the final cutscene! Yune, even if she's cute as hell, is the spotlight hog to me.

You don't have to agree to understand.

Ike becomes the sole protagonist pretty much right when he enters all the way to the end. The story is made in such a way that Micaiah and Ike seem like they're supposed to be co-protagonists with equal importance once part 4 starts, but everything seems to be more about Ike, especially when it comes to the end where only Ike can take down Ashera and only Ike goes down in legend. Micaiah basically just gets tossed to the side despite always being considered a protagonist and being more personally attached to the actual events than Ike himself, who is still technically just a hired arm.

You don't have to agree with it, but this is the general idea, at least for me.

Makalov is a character who already irritated me in PoR. Like, you would think his "antics" are supposed to be funny or something but before we even meet him, his actions almost lead to Marcia getting killed and we see her sincerly worrying. And he gets worse in RD, were he makes Astrid look like a complete delusional fool. Well, at the very least, this makes it somewhat refreshing seeing Astrid's boss conversations, since they allow her to still be her old self.

Then there is RD Oliver. PoR Oliver was a monster who represented everything wrong with Begnion aristocracy. Sure, he was a fool but he was still a serious villain because as Soren put it: "Letting madness rule the day is the prerogative of nobility." I can't comprehend why they taught reducing him to a comic relief was a good idea.

Then there is of course Illyana. She doesn't look so bad in her first info conversation, were she mentions being from a village and almost dying when she left home but unfortunatly her supports fail to provide such basic information about the character like what they are trying to accomplish.

Like, why did Illyana leave home when she was well taken care of there? What desire drove her to endanger herself like that? But hey, who cares when there are more important things to write supports about, like about her eating other peoples' shoes.

Yes I did miss that part, assuming such a part even exists, which I don't.

Sothe is a crap I agree, but it doesn't raise my opinion of Naesala one bit.

There is quite a huge gap though. Micaiah actually HAS special/unique powers that are exclusive to her as well as having Yune and being Sanaki's sister. She IS the leader of the rebellion. She DOES develop at least a semi-relationship with Sothe. And he does at least talk to her. That's not to mention that their relationship dynamic is closer to bodyguard/bodyguard-ee than 'super-special girl romancing the bad boy' and it's blatant who is closer to Twilight. Sure, Sacrifice is crap as a gameplay skill, but from a lore-standpoint it is actually a unique ability worth noting.

Ilyana is rather gImmicky and one note. A number of Radiant Dawn characters don't get much development due to only having base conversations rather than supports which makes them somewhat boring, but Ilyana doesn't have that excuse.

This is more the shortcoming of RD though. I know it's beating a dead horse, but Ilyana could have at least done something. Instead she doesn't get a paired ending with Zihark, or even a conversation with him. Heck, even pushing him to the side, even as a one-note character there was at least lulz potential in things like Micaiah trying to heal her only to find out it's not working. Instead it seems Ilyana's tape-worm devoured the entire support script.

Compare that to Naesalsa who basically ends up ignoring Leanne unless you support them together, Leanne who is both not the only Heron on the team and not the last hope for the herons (judging by her ending her brothers could have heron kids). Sothe may treat Micaiah badly, but Naesalsa has outright betrayed others in the past.

Yeah, I don't like the fact that Oliver got brought back for RD. I can see why they brought the BK back, even if he's a little mishandled this game, but Oliver in RD serves no narrative purpose- it's just fanservice I guess.

@Ilyana I guess she gets conversations with an A supported Zihark in some of the Part 3 chapters, but she still seems to lack personality in both games

Edited by -Cynthia-

Lyn is made out to be an important character too. She's Lord Hausen's granddaughter, the only person that can wield the Mani Katti, the one everyone hopes to stop Lundgren from taking over Caelin, and heir to Caelin. Then come Eliwood's story, she's barely relevant at all.

Again, it's not her story anymore, as none of the facts you mention are even relevant by then. Heck, Lyn's story ends with an epilogue declaring the end of her story, and a statement that you might meet her again. Might. That's a very straight statement that tells it's not her game anymore.

I'm gonna parrot Radiant Head here. What changed about Ike in RD? He still dislikes nobles, he still dislikes being a general, he's still blunt, he still thinks Amy is crazy. I'm legitimately going to have to call out the whole "he was different in PoR!" sentiment as bullshit. He wasn't different. The only difference between PoR Ike and RD Ike is how much knowledge of the world he had. I mean someone in this thread went and called him a dumb beefcake. Seriously?

I understand the whole stole the spotlight sentiment, but I do agree that Micaiah got robbed by the plot and not Ike specifically. The plot went and turned her into Yune's vessel, which annoyed me much more than whatever Ike did. The blood pact silliness hindered Micaiah as well. Basically it's not as simple as "Ike stole Micaiah's spotlight."

I'm gonna parrot Radiant Head here. What changed about Ike in RD? He still dislikes nobles, he still dislikes being a general, he's still blunt, he still thinks Amy is crazy. I'm legitimately going to have to call out the whole "he was different in PoR!" sentiment as bullshit. He wasn't different. The only difference between PoR Ike and RD Ike is how much knowledge of the world he had. I mean someone in this thread went and called him a dumb beefcake. Seriously?

Ike has most certainly become more accepting about these kind of things. He may still not like them but he no longer allows it to bother him all that much or to loose his composure compared to PoR were he was often brooding about society and was even hiding in Soren's tent once to avoid Aimee.

He never gets passionate in RD. Like in PoR, he shouted at Sanaki for being selfcentred and cruel while in RD, he merely off-handily mocked the king of self righteous sociopathic douchebags Lekain before deciding that his time would be better spent elsewhere.

Edited by BrightBow

He's simply not as hot headed anymore. 3 years of growth and being the leader of the Greil Mercs was bound to give him some composure. He basically carries himself the way Greil did, which may or may not have been the point.

Yeah, why would Ike yell at a royal again after he very nearly screwed everybody the first time he did it? xP That would just be plain stupidity at the max level. Ike is shown to have learned his lessons, which is natural. I think that's another thing that makes me love him more than his PoR self (but I still love his PoR self anyway. He showed how much of a man and leader he'd become after three years. Now, without PoR, yeah, Ike would be pretty boring character-wise.

Ike still does make a mistake here and there in RD too though. Like when he pissed Nailah off after telling Rafiel he should be more like Reyson. :P

He's simply not as hot headed anymore. 3 years of growth and being the leader of the Greil Mercs was bound to give him some composure. He basically carries himself the way Greil did, which may or may not have been the point.

Greil was not callous and uninspired like FE10 Ike is, and Greil never had a standard to live up to from a previous game. Ike seems to have gone back on his own principles in FE10. In FE9 he very much cared about every individual he knew personally and there's this massive thematic element of Tellius in terms of the whole extended family throughout the world (it's pretty downplayed in FE10 till the final revelations), and it's so grossly hypocritical for the man who said this.

Ike

Before this final battle, there's only one thing I want to tell all of you...I don't want any of you dying on me! Remember--you only have one life! At a time like this, it doesn't matter what our blood ties are. We are family. That's what my father always used to say. And today...for the first time... I understand why he said it... Because we are a family. So if you don't want to cause your family any grief, then live! Don't drop your guard! Don't turn your back! Use every drop of your strength! Our road has been long, but it ends today! Let's liberate Crimea and free our friends...and our families...from Daein's tyranny! Men of Crimea...Laguz of Tellius...Greil Mercenaries...MOVE OUT!!

To then be so utterly nonchalant about participating in what is literally a VIOLENT INVASION OF BEGNION when he knows so many people in that country and has experienced for himself what such invasions do to countries. Ike knows the apostle personally for christ's sake, and he just basically says

Ike: Listen. You offered me a job, and I decided to take the contract. It’s as simple as that. I told the others they could leave if they didn’t want to work with laguz, but everybody decided they’d rather stay. Don’t worry about it, Ranulf.

and that's the end of it. He doesn't give a damn about everything that happened, the peace, better relations with laguz, anything. It's just all nothing to him, it's just a job. Fuck FE10 Ike.

Edited by Irysa

Alright, hate Ike all you want but going "Fuck FE10 Ike," especially just for one line, is utterly ridiculous. And how does that line imply at all that he doesn't care about anyone or anything anymore? Not to mention that he later went and helped save Elincia, even though he wasn't ever told by anyone to do that. He certainly still cares about his friends and other people.

Also, that first line is from Endgame. The second is not. Big difference there.